what is the name of this anti-aircraft machine gun ? and when it's made?

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
also, this gun i don't think it's a navy ,coz it's trailed on 4 wheel . and i didn't find similar one in internet ?
Read my post above again. It's a A436, comes on 4-wheel carriage for towing. You won't find much about them on the internet.

swerve

Super Moderator
I e-mailed Tony Williams ( CANNON, MACHINE GUNS AND AMMUNITION ) about it, & he agrees with Kato. He recognises the ammunition as the 30x210B Russian naval type, & says that the Romanian A436 is the only known land mounting for that gun.

He's an acknowledged expert in the field: co-editor of Jane's Ammunition Handbook, & his list of publications & consultancy work (on his site) speaks for itself.

Kato, I'm impressed with your knowledge.

Operatoor - it'd be very interesting to know how that gun got to Libya. Thanks a lot for posting the pictures.

LYNTC

ive seen some empty shells of 14.5 thaught they were the biggest untill i saw those 30mm you can trail them on big trucks , pickup trucks cant even fit for that cannon , can you beleive this caliber was used on demonstrators :ar15

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
A small thank you to Kato for his effort.

Its a good exampke of what value the DefProfs can bring to the debate. well done

Mircea87

To Liberia. SIPRI mentions AA guns delivered in 1987 as part of a larger deal without saying what type; however Romania only had the A436 as standard AA gun back then (they've added some Skyguards since then). Would fit the ammo probably being from 1986 too.

@OP: Be careful with that ammo btw. As far as i can make out that's live HE-FRAG ammo with fuzes, not training ammunition ("UOR" = HE-FRAG AA, no sign of a "IN" or similar for inert ammo).
Romania also had 3.7cm FlaK 39 (export version of the Flak 36 series licensed built in Romania during the WWII and afterwards), ZU-2 (licensed built ZPU-2) and MR-4 (local variant of the ZPU-4 with only 2 wheels instead of 4) 14.5mm heavy MG. I don't think the A436 was exported to Liberia.

A document of gen. Victor Stanculescu from 17th of May 1989 mentions the fact that the A436 was delivered to only one country and was difficult to sell. I personally thought that country was Libya, as there were numerous arms deals between Romania and Libya back in the 80s (Romania also delivered ZU-2 and probably MR-4 to Libya). Anyway, the same document mentions the fact that the A436 was going to be exported to Mauritania in 1990 in exchange for...fish worth of 11 million dollars. I guess the deal was canceled after the Romanian Revolution of 1989.

The A436 is not really that good against modern day main battle tanks. You might want to aim the FCS of the tank or the tracks and then run or take cover. The AA gun can only deal with APCs and probably IFVs. Amour penetration is 20 mm at 1000 m (90 degrees). Based on what soldiers that fired it in Romania have said, you don't have a chance against fast moving jets. It can tackle helicopters and slow aircraft. Another ex-soldier said that during his first firing, the gun moved about a foot from where it was emplaced because of the recoil (he got a nasty bruise on his head because of that). The guns were modernized after 1990 to improve precision and reliability. I don't know how effective this was as soon after this Romania bought Oerlikon ***-003 (why is G.D.F censored?). The A436 can be used with Skyguard and Gun Star Night as part of the Viforul AA defense system.

I can't post links, but use google to find this article on the Romanian wikipedia: "Tun antiaerian calibru 2x30 mm model 1980" and then use google translate for more info.

Last edited by a moderator: