Welcome to the World Cup!!!!

Firn

& the curse travels down to the group matches :(
Well I recorded the game and it the referee was actually very even-handed, but sadly very very harsh compared to your standard referee during the UEFA and FIFA matches.

The Australians sadly got once again a red card, this time it was correct, although I have to confess that I do not like that triple punishment - penalty, red card and missing the next match. Kudos to the Socceroos that they were not gutted too much and defended the result for 70 minutes. They even missed some excellent chances to score.

Kudos also to the manager and the players of the DPR of Korea, a brilliant effort and a very fair game by them.

Let us see what the Kiwis can do against Italy ;)

Firn

Last edited by a moderator:

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My bet is 2:0 for Italy but so far I managed to get not one result right... :eek:

StevoJH

The Bunker Group
For some reason i'm getting the impression that the referee's don't like Australians.....:teary

Marc 1

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
For some reason i'm getting the impression that the referee's don't like Australians.....:teary
Agreed, although the 'fush and chup' eaters from the other side of the Tasman seem to be the flavour of the month. Well done NZ...

Firn

Agreed, although the 'fush and chup' eaters from the other side of the Tasman seem to be the flavour of the month. Well done NZ...
Well done Kiwis, what a lack of creativity and class in the Italian game :rolleyes:

Cannavaro was one of the greatest defenders of the last twenty years, sadly he is no longer the wall he used to be. A sad sight to see him getting duped by a 20 year nobody. (no offense intended, that young lad did very well).

I'm a bit surprised just how easy the referees go with their red cards, we saw already some pretty terrible ones, among them the first for Australia, Germany, Brazil and Switzerland.

It just destroys the game, the great actors (sorry, victims) of the last two cards should get a least a fine, better a yellow card.

Firn

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
The referee from the Chile - Switzerland game was just the same as too many others before.
One got the impression that he really tried to destroy the game with his weird decisions.

Why is the FIFA using some amateurs as referees in a World Cup. Every 4 years the same problem an nothing changes...

As for Italy. One has to look at it from a different angle. At least the Azzuri are not doing the same nonsense like the french team. Their defenitely are in shambles...

That the NK game was broadcasted live in NK is hilarious. Hopefully they don't send the team directly into some kind of "training camp" upon return...:dodgy

GermanHerman

Hopefully they don't send the team directly into some kind of "training camp" upon return...:dodgy

Yeah I thought pretty much the same...

I don't understand the FIFA anyway, they change the rules all the time and it never realy works out.

Hopefully the referees will get better.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
The Easiest Quarter Group

The US now found that they're the highest FIFA Rangking nation among the Four contestant on this first 4 of the 16. They're higher than Uruguay, South Korea and Ghana. I know now this days it doesn't mean as much as used to be..however this (US Place) should be belong to the English. Well if the English just add another goal on their match with Serbia..they (and not US) that should faced the easiest quarter group in the game.

Now they have to pay the price early. I wonder if the Three Lions can shape up much of their true potentials. Anyway..US in the Semi's..now that's something of novelty if not travesty:D.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Tomorrwo will hopefully see the end of the English World Cup ambitions!
The statistics are not favouring the English and I hope it stays that way. ;)

Who would have thought that the English only barely manage to stay in the Cup with their 2nd place in the group.

The English press is great when it comes to such a duell. One may think that WWII is back in style again... :D

Firn

The English press is great when it comes to such a duell. One may think that WWII is back in style again... :D
But England is not Britain nor even the British Empire and neither are mighty allies in footy allowed - well mostly, if one does not count that ref of 1966 ;)

Jokes aside, both sides have a fair chance to win.

I'm quite gutted how bad the Italian side played in their last game, so bad that in Italy of all wonders nobody talked about the "episodi" which usually get viewed and discussed to death...

Anyway I was greatly impressed by Chile even if I dislike the sometimes brutal fouls and artistic diving. The Urus and Japan did also well.

Firn

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
So far Chile is my favorite underdog.
But the rest of the South American crowd impressed me, too.

Most of the european teams played bad (including Germany and England). And while the Spanish seem to be on the right way they still try to carry the ball over the line instead of their quick and surprising goals of the past.

I am not going to say anything about the Italian performance as every word which could describe it is totally against the forum rules...;)

SURB

A timeout.:D
Something about the Magic spray.

A footballer goes down with an injury - whether real or imagined - and the team doctors come jogging out with a bag of tricks in an effort to coax the writhing player back to his feet. Almost inevitably, no matter what part of the body the player is clutching in anguish, the attending doctor pulls out an anonymous looking spray can and gives the player a liberal dousing of white mist.
Usually used on freshly crunched ankles, Achilles, shins and knees, the mysterious magic spray has even been used on profusely bleeding mouths, like Spain defender Gerard Pique's. After taking a kick in the kisser during a match against Honduras last Monday, the already battered and bruised Pique accepted a spritz right into his open yap like some sort of industrial strength breath freshener (pictured above) before getting it stuffed with a glob of cotton.
Sometimes it works like spinach for Popeye, sometimes it only serves as a stopgap until the stretcher arrives, but for a while now it has been a mainstay in speedy on-pitch medical treatment.
So what in the name of aerosol is it?!
Well, as Slate's piece on the matter from 2006 explains, there are actually a few different "magic sprays" that are used depending on the problem and the situation:
They might use cold water, for example, to cool off an overheated athlete. Or they might spray an abrasion with a tincture of benzoin so they can stick a bandage on some sweaty skin. It's safe to assume that some magic spray cans contain "skin refrigerants," chemicals like ethyl chloride that freeze and numb the surface of the skin on contact.
Skin refrigerants provide a brief spell of anesthesia which can, at times, be enough to reduce the stinging pain of something like stud marks on an ankle or, at least, make the player think that it's helping. And while they certainly won't cure something more serious like, say, torn knee ligaments or a shotgun blast to the chest, that momentary relief can be all it takes to get a player back up and in the game.
Of course, when broken down like that, it doesn't sound nearly as magical, but it definitely is still a spray.

Source:
An explanation: the mysterious powers of magic spray - Dirty Tackle - World Soccer*Blog - Yahoo! Sports

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
What a game!!!
The best game I have seen so far.

A crushing victory over our ancient football enemies including revenge for the famous Wembley goal...;)

Let's see who will be our adversary in the quarter final, Mexico or Argentina. If our team plays like today they can beat everybody.

tareesa

Finally Spain Have Won the World cup foot ball 2010 with Exuberance and style. so many people in Holland crying on the defeat of their Country.