War Against ISIS

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Update.

An interesting summary post talking about the successes and failures of the Russian effort in Syria. It notes both territorial gains, and the poor use of many available resources (attempts at frontal tank attacks against rebel positions with TOW missiles).

100 дней в Сирии. Итоги - mikael655

US A-10s have been spotted striking ISIS positions in Syria.

ÐмериканÑкие штурмовики Ð-10 нанеÑли удар по позициÑм боевиков на Севере Сирии | Военный информатор

Several terrorist attacks have occurred in Egypt, with some vague ISIS connections, in one case a flag. Tourists were the main targets. Meanwhile the Egyptian military is still continuing an operation against ISIS in the Sinai.

Ðападение на Хургаду - Colonel Cassad

ISIS is claiming they brought down a predator, though it's far more likely it fell on its own.

ИГИЛ завалил чей то БПЛР- Берлога Бронемедведа
Análisis Militares: Se estrelló un MQ-1 Predator estadounidense

Some photos of T-72AVs near Aleppo. These are recent Russian deliveries. And a Syrian soldier inside a Russian Lynx MRAP from Iveco.

СирийÑкие танки Т-72ÐÐ’ под Ðлеппо - bmpd
Сириец внутри "РыÑи" - Берлога Бронеда

The Moskva cruiser returns to Sevastopol, after it's Syrian deployment. It's been replaced by the Varyag, in the Mediterranean.

«КрейÑер "МоÑква" вернулÑÑ Ð² СеваÑтополь поÑле Ð²Ñ‹Ð¿Ð¾Ð»Ð½ÐµÐ½Ð¸Ñ Ð·Ð°Ð´Ð°Ñ‡ в Сирии» в блоге «ÐÑ€Ð¼Ð¸Ñ Ð¸ Флот» - Сделано у наÑ

DavidDCM

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Ticket conductors do not necessarily wear uniform so as not to tip off ticket evaders, but all else (refusing to tell what you were doing wrong, refusing to check with police, not speaking English) points towards con man. Typical strategy of real ticket controllers is to enter the tram and pretend to be normal passengers, but as soon as the doors close and the vehicle starts rolling and noone can run away anymore, they flip out the badge, identify themselves and start controlling every passenger. That can appear very intimidating to foreign tourists who don't immediately understand what is going on. But usually they speak English and if you demand it they will explain who they are and what they want and identify themselves. A single person just talking you out of money however, that indeed smells of con man.

old faithful

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
It is clear to me what ISIS is trying to do, and its a pretty clever plan really.
Terrorise a Muslim population into running for their lives, out of the country and to the west.
The refugees (majority) are genuinely fleeing ISIS, Assad, US, Russian and every one elses bombs.
They then get to safety, and then ISIS plants, conduct horrific offences against the host countrys population in order to turn them against the people they welcomed in.

The refugees are then stuck between people that will kill them in their home land, and people who desipse them in their new home land, Islam comes to the rescue, and abra cadabra, you have a new army.....

It is clear to me what ISIS is trying to do, and its a pretty clever plan really.
Terrorise a Muslim population into running for their lives, out of the country and to the west.
The refugees (majority) are genuinely fleeing ISIS, Assad, US, Russian and every one elses bombs.
They then get to safety, and then ISIS plants, conduct horrific offences against the host countrys population in order to turn them against the people they welcomed in.

The refugees are then stuck between people that will kill them in their home land, and people who desipse them in their new home land, Islam comes to the rescue, and abra cadabra, you have a new army.....
I realise this is one of those " I heard this from a guy who heard this from a guy who heard it from his dog" stories but... about July or August 2015 I was on a trip with a guy who is a NZ cop. He had heard a news piece/briefing/something or either about how ISIS had put out a piece of media 18 months or so prior that ISIS intended to put a 150,000 or so agents in Europe to bring about its collapse. Now 150,000 might be very optimistic on their part (I believe they only have 20,000 to 40,000 in the field combatants) but say that achieved 1% of that with some degree of co-ordination and competence that makes for scary enough of a picture.
With that in mind apparently it influenced NZ Govt policy on the migrant issue which at the time they were taking some flack on. With hindsight now it certainly seems that if true they wisely held firm.

With regards to ISIS, they are very scary but dread what might follow.

Last edited:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Update.

The Syrian Army has resumed pushing forward directly south-west of Aleppo. North of Kuweiris they've taken Aishah, continuing the push towards al-Bab. They're also got Quraytayn in a vice-grip, with only one road out of the city, in Homs province. Indecisive fighting continues in Sheikh Miskin.

Военные дейÑÑ‚Ð²Ð¸Ñ Ð¡Ð¸Ñ€Ð¸Ð¹Ñкой армии и РоÑÑийÑких ВКС 11 ÑÐ½Ð²Ð°Ñ€Ñ 2016 года (Туфелька)

The Syrian Army has entered Salma. After significant gains to the east and west of Salma over the past few days, they're now in the city itself. The city has yet to be cleared of fighters, but it seems to be a matter of time.

СирийÑÐºÐ°Ñ ÐÑ€Ð¼Ð¸Ñ Ð²Ð¾ÑˆÐ»Ð° в Сальму - Colonel Cassad

The coalition has bombed an ISIS bank (money storage center) in Mosul.

Силы западной коалиции разбомбили Ñклад наличноÑти "Халифата" в иракÑком МоÑуле - bmpd

In the first 10 days of January Russia has flown 311 sorties striking 1097 targets in Syria.

Первые результаты операции ВКС РоÑÑии в Сирии в 2016 году - bmpd

ISIS has cropped up in the Phillipines.

ФилиппинÑкий вилаÑÑ‚ - Colonel Cassad

Putin blames the enemies of Assad for collateral damage.

Íîâîñòè NEWSru.com :: Ïóòèí âîçëîæèë âèíó çà æåðòâû ñðåäè ìèðíîãî íàñåëåíèÿ â Ñèðèè íà ïðîòèâíèêîâ Àñàäà

Erdogan accuses Russia of creating a boutique-state in northern Syria.

Íîâîñòè NEWSru.com :: Ýðäîãàí îáíàðóæèë ïðèçíàêè ñîçäàíèÿ Ðîññèåé "áóòèêîâîãî ãîñóäàðñòâà" â Ñèðèè

Meanwhile the recent terrorist attack in Istanbul has been attributed to a Syrian suicide bomber, by the Turkish government.

Íîâîñòè NEWSru.com :: Ýðäîãàí: âçðûâ â Ñòàìáóëå óñòðîèë ñèðèéñêèé òåððîðèñò-ñìåðòíèê

ZeonChar

Salma has been fully liberated, and they even pushed further into the surrounding areas. Apparently Rebels don't have the support of the locals anymore, so they can't sabotage behind Assad's lines. At this point, Latakia has been virtually cleared.

Toblerone

Banned Member
It's not worth it to eat bombs so close to the peace talks, I guess. If I was a civilian there, I wouldn't mind if Assad took over my city. Since I would hope for a better transitional government in the long run anyway. Just as long as the fighting and the bombing isn't near me in the meantime.

6 months ago everyone was just waiting for Assad's regime to fall. Russia is proving that with a *few* dozen aircraft and a stream of supplies they can empower a regime. And without really using little green men or "volunteers".

And all this time they don't seem to have suffered any aircraft accidents or serious setbacks I think. Except the turkish F-16s pursuing an unaware SU-24 for a miniscule airspace violation, where the shootdown was unavoidable and unexpected.

ZeonChar

It's not worth it to eat bombs so close to the peace talks, I guess. If I was a civilian there, I wouldn't mind if Assad took over my city. Since I would hope for a better transitional government in the long run anyway. Just as long as the fighting and the bombing isn't near me in the meantime.

6 months ago everyone was just waiting for Assad's regime to fall. Russia is proving that with a *few* dozen aircraft and a stream of supplies they can empower a regime. And without really using little green men or "volunteers".

And all this time they don't seem to have suffered any aircraft accidents or serious setbacks I think. Except the turkish F-16s pursuing an unaware SU-24 for a miniscule airspace violation, where the shootdown was unavoidable and unexpected.
Really shows how far the Russian's have come since the Georgian war. Though still not as sophisticated as NATO member Air Forces, they're certainly not a chip off the block. The reason this war is turning around, is because they're targeting supplies coming from Turkey, Turkey really is the real cause of all this. They could've closed their border since day one. Regardless of what Assad, ect. has done, Turkey left it all open.

Speaking of Turkey:
Seems the PKK launched coordinated attacks all across The Kurdish region of Turkey today. https://www.rt.com/news/328817-turkey-police-blast-kurdish-pkk/

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
It may have just expanded into Indonesia. Multiple bombings and gunfire in Jakarta. Police and military already deployed in the capital. No idea on casualties so far.

Jakarta attacks: Bombs and gunfire rock Indonesian capital - BBC News
The Diplomat ran a story today that suggests that Daesh intends to secure a caliphate in Asia. The two countries suggested are The Philippines and Indonesia, with the Philippines seen as the easier option because of its weaker military. Hence if this is a Daesh attack it doesn't surprise me because Asia supplies a large cohort of recruits and fighters to Daesh and some of those will return home suitably enthused, indoctrinated and radicalised. When they gain a foothold in Asia, they will be a very dangerous, cancerous tumour within the region that will be a clear and present danger to the nations within the region including Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific Islands.

swerve

Super Moderator
...Turkey really is the real cause of all this. They could've closed their border since day one. Regardless of what Assad, ect. has done, Turkey left it all open....
Turkey is the real cause? You don't think that the oppressiveness of the Assad family over the 40-odd years before the rebellion might have had something to do with it, or Bashar's brutal reaction to the initially peaceful demands for political opening up, or even the events of the last 25 years in Iraq might have had just a little bit to do with creating the ghastly mess in Syria?

Dammit, I hate it when people write crap like "Turkey really is the real cause of all this". Think! Read!

loco

Turkey is the real cause? You don't think that the oppressiveness of the Assad family over the 40-odd years before the rebellion might have had something to do with it, or Bashar's brutal reaction to the initially peaceful demands for political opening up, or even the events of the last 25 years in Iraq might have had just a little bit to do with creating the ghastly mess in Syria?

Dammit, I hate it when people write crap like "Turkey really is the real cause of all this". Think! Read!
Let's
I agree with zeonchar, Turkey is the cause of most of the problems syria is having today, no head of state or president has the right to ask another country's president to step down even if they do, Erdogan or Turkey have no moral right to do so.. its hard to tell the difference between Erdogan and Assad... Erdogan goes after the kurds while Assad goes after the anti government factions..:confused:

Toblerone

Banned Member

I think he meant since the start of the syrian civil war in 2011, that they have been pulling all the wrong strings and kept the supply lines open. They are essential to the ISIS survival, that's why turks aren't targetted in turkish terrorist attacks but kurds and westerners.

The West turns a blind eye to Turkey's handling of the kurds in their own country and in northern Syria. It's a continuation of the scandalous turkish appeasement tactic that has emboldened them.

The West is betraying the Kurds and allowing them to be massacred - Telegraph

ZeonChar

Oh yeah certainly the Assad family has some faults, but it's so small in the grand scheme of things now. Especially with 80% of the fighters are actually non Syrian, and that number is probably even larger then that. All the Rebel's manpower virtually comes from Turkey, with a little from Jordan. Plus Assad's followers still love Assad, a sizable amount being Sunni. 70% of his ground forces are Sunni, I don't see a more secular option here.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member

All of those things played a key part, but without foreign aid to the rebels, the situation today would be vastly better. Just like if the west hadn't toppled Gaddafi's regime in Libya, using the NFZ like a fig leaf to cover for an all out bombing campaign, we wouldn't be talking about ISIS trying to seize Libyan oil.

And I hope you're not suggesting western money, and western political technologies weren't used to support Arab Spring (if not make it happen). So one might argue that foreign actions, both political and military, primarily to blame for the current state of affairs. Not to mention that in Syria, specifically, the protests turned violent rather quickly. Government crack down was bad, but there were groups among the protesters prepared for an armed showdown in advance.

EDIT: To clarify, Assad screwed things up for sure, but a lot of people helped make this situation as bad as it is today.

CheeZe

The Diplomat ran a story today that suggests that Daesh intends to secure a caliphate in Asia. The two countries suggested are The Philippines and Indonesia, with the Philippines seen as the easier option because of its weaker military. Hence if this is a Daesh attack it doesn't surprise me because Asia supplies a large cohort of recruits and fighters to Daesh and some of those will return home suitably enthused, indoctrinated and radicalised. When they gain a foothold in Asia, they will be a very dangerous, cancerous tumour within the region that will be a clear and present danger to the nations within the region including Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific Islands.
Jakarta attacks: Islamic State says it was responsible - BBC News

Some confusion going on with the Indonesians. Head of Intelligence says there's nothing linking it to Daesh. Police spokesman and Daesh are both saying that Daesh did it.

With Indonesia getting hit, there's also got to be some questions in China about ethnic Uighurs returning from Syria. And with the execution of a Chinese national, could public opinion turn more hawkish?

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Let's
I agree with zeonchar, Turkey is the cause of most of the problems syria is having today, no head of state or president has the right to ask another country's president to step down even if they do, Erdogan or Turkey have no moral right to do so.. its hard to tell the difference between Erdogan and Assad... Erdogan goes after the kurds while Assad goes after the anti government factions..:confused:
Based on what? I suggest that you look at some international law and start with the UN Charter. Yes the Turks are not exactly saints, however they are NOT THE CAUSE OF SYRIA'S CIVIL WAR

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Jakarta attacks: Islamic State says it was responsible - BBC News

Some confusion going on with the Indonesians. Head of Intelligence says there's nothing linking it to Daesh. Police spokesman and Daesh are both saying that Daesh did it.

With Indonesia getting hit, there's also got to be some questions in China about ethnic Uighurs returning from Syria. And with the execution of a Chinese national, could public opinion turn more hawkish?
Apparently the Indonesian police have apprehended three Daesh suspects with alleged links to the attack. Also Daesh has claimed responsibility for the attack. The Indonesians will not be gentle in their quest to acquire information from the suspects.