War Against ISIS

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cool thanks Feanor. I wasn't sure because I thought that there was some bad blood between the groups as well.
I find it useful to think of ISIS, the FSA, and al-Nusra (and sometimes even the SAA) as umbrellas under which armed groups operate. I mean there are often core forces, that are al-Nusra or ISIS, but they are surrounded by a giant cloud of affiliated groups or groups that "pledged their loyalty" and use the ISIS or al-Nusra, or FSA name.

Toblerone

Banned Member
Oh, man ... this war will never end ... not like this. Seems Assad is running out of people who will die for him.

I wonder if it's possible to remporarily reinforce garrisons that are under pressure with 60-80 commandos using transport helos, in a "fire-fighting" strategy. Is that impractical?

Also, once the location is lost, why aren't they bombing the main facilities that house the ammunition so they don't fall to the jihadists?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Update.

The SAA was attacked in Deyr-ez-Zor, but counter-attacked and retook several quarters of the city from ISIS, expanding their area of control.

As the SAA assaults Eastern Ghouta, the rebels inside the area are fighting against each other.

South of Aleppo rebel forces have resumed the offensive against Khan Tuman. A giant VBIED carried in a BMP-1 was used. The second link, 1st video, has interesting footage. 13 Iranian soldiers are reported dead, 21 wounded. Casualties among the Khazari militia, who were also in the area, are unknown.

Tiger force is attacking east-ward out of Palmyra, their eventual target still seems to be Deyr-ez-Zor. Meanwhile the Desert Falcons are aimed towards retaking the Shaer gas fields.

https://aftershock.news/?q=node/395298
Бои в районе Хан-Тумана под Ðлеппо - Юрий ЛÑмин

A Russian base is being built at Palmyra. Right now it looks like a temporary field base, but it's very likely the airbase there will house Russian helos at some point. Tent-housing for soldiers has been set up and Pantsyr-1 air defenses have been deployed.

База-2 - Берлога Бронемедведа
РоÑÑийÑкий военный объект в Пальмире - bmpd

Mi-28NE footage from Iraq.

Ми-28 ВВС Ирака - Берлога Бронемедведа

Syrian L-39 carrying out strikes.

СирийÑкий Л-39 наноÑит удары по боевикам ИГ - Юрий ЛÑмин

Russian Hinds patrolling the Tartus coastline first link, interesting shot of Russian Mi-8 in the second.

Патрулирование береговой полоÑÑ‹. - Блог ÐлекÑандра Шакуна
Миль, СириÑ. - Блог ÐлекÑандра Шакуна

The ceasefire in Aleppo has been extended by 72 hours.

Íîâîñòè NEWSru.com :: Ðåæèì ïðåêðàùåíèÿ îãíÿ â Àëåïïî ïðîäëåí íà 72 ÷àñà

A refugee camp in Idlib was hit, Russia claims no VVS planes in the area.

Íîâîñòè NEWSru.com :: Ìèíîáîðîíû ÐÔ: íàä àòàêîâàííûì ëàãåðåì áåæåíöåâ â Ñèðèè íèêòî íå ëåòàë

A US Navy Seal died in Iraq, fighting against ISIS.

Análisis Militares: Muere un militar estadounidense en Irak (actualizado)

3 soldiers in Turkey died trying to disarm an IED.

Íîâîñòè NEWSru.com :: Òðè òóðåöêèõ ñîëäàòà ïîãèáëè ïðè âçðûâå íà âîñòîêå Òóðöèè

Turkey convicts two journalists who investigated Turkish intelligence services providing arms caches to the Syrian rebels.

Íîâîñòè NEWSru.com ::  Òóðöèè ñóä ïðèãîâîðèë ê òþðåìíûì ñðîêàì æóðíàëèñòîâ ñïóñòÿ íåñêîëüêî ÷àñîâ ïîñëå ïîêóøåíèÿ íà îäíîãî èç íèõ

Mystery cargo going to Syria. Possibly Raptor patrol bolthough there are other theories as well.

Вот народ и думает - Берлога Бронемедведа
Терминатора или Коалицию в Сирию везут? - Коллекционер баÑнов

Interesting BMP-1 upgrade in Syria.

ÐœÐ¾Ð´Ð¸Ñ„Ð¸Ñ†Ð¸Ñ€Ð¾Ð²Ð°Ð½Ð½Ð°Ñ ÑирийÑÐºÐ°Ñ Ð‘ÐœÐŸ-1 - Юрий ЛÑмин

Interesting article on one of the jihadi groups in Syria.

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/men...epics-forecasting-the-future-of-jund-al-aqsa/

surpreme

Long civil war

After reading other posts and study military documents the war will be going on for a long time. Here why you have the Syrian Arab Army being destroyed an its overstretched. The US is trying get Assad out of power. The SAA is showing it true colours and its strained to the limited are showing. The photos of the SAA they look bad after 4 years of warfare it's starting to show. ISIS have some skilled soldiers they know went to strike and still able to do counter offenses. They have some of kind intelligence from some foreign agency also from SAA who switch sides.
Some photos show Syrian soldiers on Assad side and later they on rebels side. Someone posted why US ,Russia, UK and coalition can't defeat ISIS in the desert? Right now there is not a overall effort by all parties. Russia is there to help Assad while US trying to get rid of Assad. Russia stood by a old friend that what I respect the most about them.

This has shown how Russia is pushing its limits. Russian have problems with it supply lines. It's all about the supply lines for the SAA like I said before if they can keep the supply lines up the SAA can defeat ISIS and the rebels. It's a miracle that the SAA survived this long you must remember that Russia saved the SAA in September 2015. It was on the verge of defeat as it units were lacking basic equipment. It also lost a lot of tanks and other equipment. The Russia retrained SAA units and reopen tank repair shop in Homs. Overall the Russian saved SAA now the war will go on longer thanks to Russia. The Iranians must learn the area first it take time to learn the area you in also it about the supply line Iranians have limited airlift. This war will continue for sometime.

Mod: can you please edit your future posts for readability - sentences and paragraphs are important to apply to make comprehension easier

Last edited:

Toblerone

Banned Member
ISIS and the other jihadists need to be defeated by other muslims and not by western intervention, otherwise they will never truly go away.

In Iraq the Sadrist movement seems to be the best hope with a non-sectarian, technocratic government, which will take on the struggle with reduced outside intervention (West,Iran etc)

In Syria, I would like to see a general ceasefire with the rebels while the SAA pushes from Palmyra to Deyr Erzor, then liberates it and expands its control there. Assad must resign with under-the-table guarantees that he will never be prosecuted for war crimes, go to Russia forever and some trusted general should take over so the talks for a transitional government can continue with a victorious but more amiable syrian government.

Yeah, right ... :rolleyes:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
ISIS and the other jihadists need to be defeated by other muslims and not by western intervention, otherwise they will never truly go away.

In Iraq the Sadrist movement seems to be the best hope with a non-sectarian, technocratic government, which will take on the struggle with reduced outside intervention (West,Iran etc)

In Syria, I would like to see a general ceasefire with the rebels while the SAA pushes from Palmyra to Deyr Erzor, then liberates it and expands its control there. Assad must resign with under-the-table guarantees that he will never be prosecuted for war crimes, go to Russia forever and some trusted general should take over so the talks for a transitional government can continue with a victorious but more amiable syrian government.

Yeah, right ... :rolleyes:
It might be the case that there's disagreement between Russia and Assad+Iran. Russia is likely arguing for a push towards Deyr-ez-Zor, while Assad and his friends from Iran want to clear out Aleppo.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Why do I have this sickening feeling that this prediction involves IS establishing themselves in other parts of the world beyond ME...
Yes, unfortunately. They have branches in Afghanistan and are attempting to gain footholds in the Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia and North Africa. Libya has been particularly attractive to them with affiliates operating there.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Yes, unfortunately. They have branches in Afghanistan and are attempting to gain footholds in the Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia and North Africa. Libya has been particularly attractive to them with affiliates operating there.
...and let's not forget Belgium and France. Stuff will likely be happening in other Euro zones in the future. For us in North America, it is only a matter of time before we see the same $hit. Nobody wants to do boots on the ground which is understandable after years of zero return but a serious amount of eradicating of these A-holes is required and I don't see token drone and fighter strikes accomplishing this by century's end.

surpreme

...and let's not forget Belgium and France. Stuff will likely be happening in other Euro zones in the future. For us in North America, it is only a matter of time before we see the same $hit. Nobody wants to do boots on the ground which is understandable after years of zero return but a serious amount of eradicating of these A-holes is required and I don't see token drone and fighter strikes accomplishing this by century's end.
That's true it's matter of time for ISIS hit North America. But I will said this the CIA is doing some top secret mission against ISIS even I won't discuss this on the forum. Let's give credit to one of best agency in the world the CIA its doing it job as we speak. I'm not going to said it not going happen in the U.S. it could but a lot ISIS operation were stop by CIA. I seen these cats in action during my time in the military they are no joke just want to let the forum know this. The CIA teams has some ex NAVY SEALS and DELTA FORCE personnel on there payroll.

Let's not forget that ISIS has secret intelligence force too, as I said before can't identify what foreign agency is helping them but there are ex Iraqi intelligence officers helping them. Best thing to do is put more Special Forces on the ground and have forward observer so they can kill lots of these ISIS forces especially heavy equipment. Since no country want to put boots on the ground. I truly believe U.S. should have a task force on stand by just in case Special Forces get in a jam That's my opinion on the matter. Another thing I must add airstrikes can work better in desert environment. ISIS has lost ground and lost soldiers.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
That's true it's matter of time for ISIS hit North America. But I will said this the CIA is doing some top secret mission against ISIS even I won't discuss this on the forum. Let's give credit to one of best agency in the world the CIA its doing it job as we speak. I'm not going to said it not going happen in the U.S. it could but a lot ISIS operation were stop by CIA. I seen these cats in action during my time in the military they are no joke just want to let the forum know this. The CIA teams has some ex NAVY SEALS and DELTA FORCE personnel on there payroll.

Let's not forget that ISIS has secret intelligence force too, as I said before can't identify what foreign agency is helping them but there are ex Iraqi intelligence officers helping them. Best thing to do is put more Special Forces on the ground and have forward observer so they can kill lots of these ISIS forces especially heavy equipment. Since no country want to put boots on the ground. I truly believe U.S. should have a task force on stand by just in case Special Forces get in a jam That's my opinion on the matter. Another thing I must add airstrikes can work better in desert environment. ISIS has lost ground and lost soldiers.
you can't kill your way to victory - that's why its a multi-generational event.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member

Russia has been steadily putting more boots on the ground, and has been taking increasing casualties for it. It remains to be seen whether they continue to do so. Iran has been putting increasing numbers of boots on the ground, in even larger quantities, and has taken quite heavy losses in the process. In fact both efforts, I suspect, have been instrumental in keeping Assad in the fight. Mid-2015 people were predicting a fairly rapid fall of the regime (even in this thread) following the loss of all his oil fields. I think that not only is gf0012 spot on, but also that both Russia and Iran have figured out that merely air power and limited SoF presence are not enough. The SAA and NDF militias are having difficulty holding ground, and even supplying them with equipment doesn't always help, since they often don't know how to use it. This is why the Russian arty group grew from a single battery to what now looks like a mixed arty regiment, and why Iranian presence started out with some advisers, and now they're deploying not only Revolutionary Guard but also regular army units.

Both Iran and Russia have only committed limited deployments, of ground forces, but the pattern has been for both parties' deployments to grow. Note how during the recent offensive in Khan Tuman, the Iranians stood their ground against the rebels and took significant losses only retreating when the position became untenable, while the SAA/NDF fled rapidly, putting the Iranians in an untenable position in the first place. I wouldn't be surprised if at least some of the Russian casualties stemmed from the fact that the ground forces they're supporting didn't do a good job of securing an area.

bdique

Indeed. I live in Singapore, and our government has been pretty public about the IS threat that surrounds us. From southern Philippines, to Bangladesh, to the AfPak region, ME, Northern/Western Africa...heck, the arrests of Malaysian armed forces personnel (including commandos) who have ISIS links cuts a little too close to home, honestly.

I'll admit I'm rather pessimistic - most of these nations I listed here, especially the Asian ones aren't exactly failed states. They aren't perfect either, and what alarms me is that Daesh has the ability to identify and capitalise on these 'gaps in development', whether it is perceived social injustice, income inequality, corrupted local officials etc.

you can't kill your way to victory - that's why its a multi-generational event.
Fully agree. I often get the feeling that this is going to force everyone to have a close look at how societies function.

Ranger25

Staff member

The US is well positioned with in Theatre assets rapidly deployable for any necessary extraction. All cover by near immediate CAS

STURM

Best thing to do is put more Special Forces on the ground and have forward observer so they can kill lots of these ISIS forces especially heavy equipment.
I doubt if IS still operates much ''heavy equipment''; especially after seeing how their ''heavy equipment'' [in the form of AFVs and other vehicles captured from the Syrian and Iraqi governments] attracted the attention of U.S. air power. In response to air strikes; IS now disperses its units and operates them in smaller groups to avoid the attention of air power.

ISIS has lost ground and lost soldiers.
Indeed but it not only still controls large parts of Syria and Iraq [despite all the fire power thrown against it] and still attracts volunteers to its cause.

As long as its enemies remain divided and continue to have different objectives [to suit their own national interests]; IS will survive. For me the first issue that has to be resolved is the issue of Assad. Pointless for certain countries to insist he leaves; yet still maintain that they also want to defeat IS. With Assad gone, it will be IS [as the strongest of all the anti Assad factions] who will fill the vacuum and with Syria lost; the situation in Iraq will get much worse - people often forget that the situation in Iraq is tied to Syria.
Countries like the U.S. and Saudi still keep stressing the need for Assad to go but are not quite sure what will happen after he goes.

The idea that the ''moderate'' rebel groups [once Assad is gone] will be able to take over from Assad and unite to defeat IS and groups like Al Nusra remains a dream. Another problem is that some groups which the West calls ''moderates'' might not be seen as ''moderates''' by parts of the Syrian and Iraqi population and some groups that countries like Saudi and other Sunni Gulf states see as ''moderate'' might be considered ''moderate' by the West.

In fact both efforts, I suspect, have been instrumental in keeping Assad in the fight. Mid-2015 people were predicting a fairly rapid fall of the regime (even in this thread) following the loss of all his oil fields. I think that not only is gf0012 spot on, but also that both Russia and Iran have figured out that merely air power and limited SoF presence are not enough.
I totally agree, Were it not for the efforts of Russia and Iran; Assad would probably be in a worst state now. Similarly, in Iraq it was largely the efforts of various Shia militias which slowed down the advance of IS, not the regular Iraqi army. Despite its losses in men and the costs of maintaining its presence in Iraq [which it can ill afford]; Iran has no choice but to continue what it's doing.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...har-al-assad-isis-iran-conflict-a6929186.html

Toblerone

Banned Member
I don't think that if Assad steps down that the regime will disintegrate. Someone else will take his place, allowing for negotiations on a different base and allowing USA to save face.

Some interesting news I read was about the groups in eastern Ghouta infighting and bleeding themselves dry. Then regime forces took over some vital agricultural areas in the southern part of eastern Ghouta, if I understand correctly. I haven't found a map ...

STURM

Even if Assad steps down and someone else from his government takes over; Assad's enemies will not be satisfied. The West will insist that a Syrian government still controlled by Baathists is only a temporary solution until free and fair elections can be held; the Sunni Gulf states led by Saudi will say the same [what they won't say is that they prefer a Sunni led government that completely severs ties with Iran] and IS, Al Nusra and the other anti-Assad groups will still keep on fighting.

The danger is what will happen if the Baathist government suddenly collapses [this was a possibility in the past] and IS [by virtue of being the most dominant or powerful rebel group] fills the void. At that time it was believed that if the Assad government collapsed; that the remnants of the government and a large part of the Alawite community would retreat to the mountains to hold out. Whilst most accounts of the war in Syria gives the impression that the conflict is mainly between a Alawite led government against a variety of Sunni rebel groups; the fact remains that there are quite a number of Syrian Sunnis fighting for Assad - most probably because they see IS as greater danger and not because they have any affinity for Assad or or the Baathist party.

Israel will be watching closely and like everyone else is very concerned about who will lead a post Assad Syria. In the past, the Israelis were willing to return part of the Golan if Assad agreed to a peace deal and severed ties with Iran and Hezbollah. Under Assad the Israelis knew what to expect : Syria's priority was regime survival and maintaining its interests in Lebanon; not confronting Israel [how ever much Syria supported the Palestinian cause and demanded the return of the Golan]. If a democratic post Assad government declared that it has no quarrel with Israel; renounces ties with Iran and Hezbollah and insists that the whole of the Golan [in line with UN Resolution 242] be handed back; Israel would be in a tricky position.

Last edited:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I don't think that if Assad steps down that the regime will disintegrate. Someone else will take his place, allowing for negotiations on a different base and allowing USA to save face.

Some interesting news I read was about the groups in eastern Ghouta infighting and bleeding themselves dry. Then regime forces took over some vital agricultural areas in the southern part of eastern Ghouta, if I understand correctly. I haven't found a map ...
Could you post some links then please. I think that the infighting amongst the rebel forces has served Assads survival chances quite well. His govt is an Alawite minority one and if he is removed then he will be replaced by an Alawite from within the current govt. In reality any future govt of a Syria within its current borders would have to be a non Alawite govt. The longer the destabilisation of modern day Syria and Iraq plays out, the more I see the two countries being eventually dismembered and the Sykes - Picot borders being relegated to history where they belong. New states will arise from the ashes.