Venezuela is buying 9 SSKs !

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Or an Oyashio, which can fire UGM-84 Harpoons. Did you hear the Japanese are building an evolved form of that, the "2900 t class"?
Surely the japanese were never concidering selling.

I would rank the Oyashio very highly, arugably one of the most capable subs rivaled only against the 214 and the Collins. However the Oyashio and the collins are far more blue water capable.

Musashi_kenshin

Surely the japanese were never concidering selling.
Not at the moment due to legal restrictions. However they are now on a road to steadily reform their defence policy in every way - in the future they may offer military vessels for sale to select friendly states, even if they were somewhat downgraded versions of what they use.

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think it would be a huge jump for them to sell like spain or france does to anybody with money.

I could see them partnering with key players like the US, UK Australia, Singapore etc.

dreamwarrior73

Not at the moment due to legal restrictions. However they are now on a road to steadily reform their defence policy in every way - in the future they may offer military vessels for sale to select friendly states, even if they were somewhat downgraded versions of what they use.
at the moment, they have donated few assets to their friendly neighbours. like Malaysia has received a training ship for her Coast Guard.

its only a few step away before Japan starts exporting arms.

contedicavour

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
at the moment, they have donated few assets to their friendly neighbours. like Malaysia has received a training ship for her Coast Guard.

its only a few step away before Japan starts exporting arms.
The Japanese can export plenty of naval assets, but most of the embarked electronics and weaponry is built in Japan under licence from foreign manufacturers who would probably not agree to such transactions since they would compete with their countries' exports.
A few examples : ESSM, SM2, 76/62 and 127/64 artillery, Mitsubishi version of Harpoon Block 2, etc etc

cheers