USAF News and Discussion

swerve

Super Moderator
Obviously should be able to be accomplished, just never has been.
Even the recent Lockheed Martin/Airbus LMXT aimed at the USAF KC-Y program did not have a main deck cargo capability.
Could indicate a lack of customer interest. Manufacturers would do it very quickly if they thought it'd get them sales.

FormerDirtDart

Could indicate a lack of customer interest. Manufacturers would do it very quickly if they thought it'd get them sales.
That possibility was my thought too. Though KC-767 customers opted for increased cargo capability. And EADS/NG offered the KC-30/KC-45 with a 32 pallet load for the USAF KC-X bidding. Heck, EADS had already progressed heavily in the building of the first two KC-45 by the time the GAO findings resulted in their KC-X contract being voided.

rossfrb_1

With the recent Chinese weather balloon kerfuffle I was was wondering whether someone could please school me on how an AIM9X (heat seeking) missile can be used to shoot down a balloon? From the vision I have seen it appears that something kinetic hits the balloon near its base but above the gondola.
If it was an AIM9X I can only surmise that the thermal signature of said balloon can somehow be used as the source for tracking?
On a lighter note, I can only imagine the ribbing the pilot of the F22 is getting from his comrades about shooting down a balloon.
Regards
rb

Last edited:

Terran

The Aim9X is a major upgrade vs the older Sidewinders. It’s not just an IR guided missile but it can be remote controlled via datalink. This is critical for “high off boresight” attacks. It allows Aim9X in theory to even engage enemies on the host platform’s 6o clock position.

In other modern American fighters like F35 or even F16 and F15 the pilot can use a helmet mounted system to direct the missile to the target. As long as he has he keeps his eyes on it the Aim9X would follow. This isn’t entirely a new cap set. As far back as the at least 1970s fighters on both sides of the iron curtain and above and below the equator have been using or experimenting with missiles guided off of cues from the pilot via a system sometimes as simple as a monocle on their helmets.
However F22 lacks this as the cockpit canopy is too small for the full up system and the USAF never pulled the trigger on buying smaller systems like the Scorpion HMCs. One of the many reasons why on the end the F22 will have a short service life.

Yet Raptors do have the other means; it’s Radar. The F22 can use its radar to direct the Aim9X into the attack via the Datalink. Making the Aim9X a pseudo Radar guided missile. This latter capability was likely used.

Last edited:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
With the recent Chinese weather balloon kerfuffle I was was wondering whether someone could please school me on how an AIM9X (heat seeking) missile can be used to shoot down a balloon? From the vision I have seen it appears that something kinetic hits the balloon near its base but above the gondola.
If it was an AIM9X I can only surmise that the thermal signature of said balloon can somehow be used as the source for tracking?
On a lighter note, I can only imagine the ribbing the pilot of the F22 is getting from his comrades about shooting down a balloon.
Regards
rb
There are so many memes doing the rounds since the shootdown and many of them are quite brilliant.

The CCP / PRC have threatened retaliation for the US shootdown of the balloon. This is after they originally said that it was an unimportant geographically misplaced weather balloon.

Anne-Marie Brady, an international expert on the CCP, explains in the video below about the balloons and that this was the 4th one to cross the US during the last 6 years. They have also been spotted over Japan and the Philippines.

SolarisKenzo

The balloon had a huge complex of solar panels mounted underneath, sum that with the hot air inside it...

Since I know absolutely nothing about balloons, I asked a former colleague who's a fighter pilot and confirmed to me that there's no problem whatsoever for an Aim-9x to lock such an object.
The solar panels were probably very hot...

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The balloon had a huge complex of solar panels mounted underneath, sum that with the hot air inside it...

Since I know absolutely nothing about balloons, I asked a former colleague who's a fighter pilot and confirmed to me that there's no problem whatsoever for an Aim-9x to lock such an object.
The solar panels were probably very hot...
It wasn't a hot air balloon, but a helium filled one and was huge large.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Interesting article about the USAF building a supercomputer from Sony PlayStations at a greatly reduced cost. A firmware change by Sony prevented additional units being produced as they couldn’t be used with the integration system that runs under Linux. Moral of the story, firmware and software can be just as effective as bombs in ruining something!

Gooey

Sorry for speculation and a relatively short note: if the USAF buy of 26 E-7 does go ahead this will be good news also for any RAAF Wedgetail upgrades. There was a AIR Project for that, but I haven't heard that much about it for a while. In many ways the easiest RAAF solution would be to ditch the update/old frames and instead procure new 'USAF' standard aircraft. One of the reasons is that the power of this beasty is essentially its radar and software fill.
I trust USAF will keep the RAAF Wedgetail name too, although that might be academic for operators (eg. Viper v Fighting Falcon).

FormerDirtDart

As we have seen some recent discussion of USAF commands removing certain portions of livery from aircraft this seems mildly related /sarc/
I will state that in my opinion it does retain the iconic symbology that has represented the US government around the world for over half a century.
Also likely means that the rest of the Special Air Mission (SAM) fleet will not see their livery colors changed until their typical maintenance requirements.

FormerDirtDart

If anyone has often had to go and look up a description of the often bewildering array of USAF Aircraft and weapons…this link may assist. A couple of years out of date but couldn’t find a later version.

Along those lines:
USAF & USSF ALMANAC 2022 (full publication pdf w/Weapons & Platforms toward the end) All manner of data and info.
And, an easier to load/scroll web page with a load of equipment data
2022 USAF & USSF Almanac: Equipment

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Well the tanker from hell continues to drain wealth from Boeing shareholders. The new vision system won’t happen until 2025 and still the USAF commits to ordering another 75 jets. Beyond stupid IMHO when a functioning alternative with better capability for the Pacific theatre exists.