USAF News and Discussion

FormerDirtDart

The USAF is preparing to reinstate 24/7/365 nuclear alert aircraft; something not done since 1991. Certainly ups the ante if it happens.
The Air Force and US Strategic Command say they aren't planning to put nuclear bombers on 24-hour alert
US Strategic Command chief Air Force Gen. John Hyten said through a spokesman that he was not currently considering putting bombers on alert.

"There are no discussions or plans for US Strategic Command to place bombers on alert. Any decisions related to the posture of nuclear forces would come from, or through, US Strategic Command," the spokesman told Breaking Defense. "We constantly train, prepare and equip our personnel to ensure we have a combat-ready force that underwrites strategic deterrence in the 21st century."

Air Force spokeswoman Ann Stefanek acknowledged that base-infrastructure upgrades, exercises, and equipment modernization were all happening but said they were needed to "maintain a baseline level of readiness."

alexsa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The KC-46 has just received the first of it's two FAA certificates. So it is some welcome progress.

KC-46 refueling tanker receives one of two FAA certifications
Good to see it getting there but it is amazing what political clout will achieve. The KC30A had its issues but has been operating effectively for some time and is more capable in off-take than the KC46 ...... but that 'win' was killed by Boeing and the subsequent retendering process.

The KC46 will certainly be a capable aircraft and the fact that (like the KC30A) additional capability beyond the provision of fuel will give it great utility but I wonder how the air force feel about the additional delay and costs of keeping the old platforms flying.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Good to see it getting there but it is amazing what political clout will achieve. The KC30A had its issues but has been operating effectively for some time and is more capable in off-take than the KC46 ...... but that 'win' was killed by Boeing and the subsequent retendering process.

The KC46 will certainly be a capable aircraft and the fact that (like the KC30A) additional capability beyond the provision of fuel will give it great utility but I wonder how the air force feel about the additional delay and costs of keeping the old platforms flying.
Yep pork barrel politics and I wonder how much the extra costs are.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I see that the USAF had hypoxia problems in part of its A-10 fleet.

Dozens Of A-10s Grounded Last Year After Hypoxia Reports

Since the hypoxia problem appears to be platform agnostic is the problem OBOGS hardware related? Or is it a maintenance procedural problem?

If it is hardware related then, there should be a wider range of incidents across a wider range of platform types and a greater number incidents. If it is procedural then maintenance procedures may have to be overhauled. A third option could be that the problem is a combination of hardware problems and maintenance procedures.

Finally the USN has also experienced hypoxia problems so my question is are the USAF and USN maintenance procedures the same? And if not, what commonalities do they have?

Joe Black

The B-52 continues to be the USAF's best bargain aircraft ever. After six decades of service a new upgrade has been announced, the LRSO missile will be deployable from the B-52 (and B-2, B-21). An engine upgrade is in the cards as well.

Boeing contract shows details of LRSO integration on B-52
True that. I read somewhere that they are intending to replace B-1 and B-2 with B-21. If that is true, they certainly don't fly the B-2 that long compared to B1 and B-52. Can't wait for them to finally reveal what B-21 looks like. Another flying wing design? Who knows.

One thing I do lament at the retirement of F-111 is that there isn't a successor. Was hoping they made FB-22 though.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The USAF is thinking of retiring its F-15C and F-15D fleets, replacing them with F-16s. If they decide to go down this path, the end of the next decade is thought to be the time.

Rob c

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Was under the impression F35A was to replace those, as the line should be open untill 2040ish
Maybe as the F35's replace later F16's, they , with an upgrade move on to replace the F15's. I would think that stealth may not be that important in their defencive role which would be more about detection of the adversary and weapon delivery to destroy that adversary and in other roles they could be behind the F35's until the opposition air defences are supressed. Where stealth is required in the air defence role , then the F22 would prevail. Economics would also play a part as the F 16 is a lot cheaper to operate than the F 15. I cannot remember the figures, but recollect there was a significant difference.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Replacing F-15A-Cs with F-16s is just a consideration at present but I guess it would depend on the price differential-capability ratio between buying F-16s or F-35s. Either way more money is needed.