USAF News and Discussion

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Great article but I made the mistake of reading the comments, pretty clear that many, though capable on reading struggle with the comprehension side. Every fourth comment suggested buying new Eagles, several completely ignored the results from Red Flag and continued to bag the F-35 and most ignored the clueier posters who pointed out the F-16 costs about a third as much to fly as the F-15C/D, which frees up more money for the F-22, F-35 which are more expensive per flight hour.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Great article but I made the mistake of reading the comments, pretty clear that many, though capable on reading struggle with the comprehension side.
I've learnt not to read the comments in articles like that. absolutely clueless

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I've learnt not to read the comments in articles like that. absolutely clueless
You want to read the comments in articles in the Marine Times about the nude photo scandal that has hit the USMC. They are entertaining to say the least, and most certainly don't get the point.

vonnoobie

You want to read the comments in articles in the Marine Times about the nude photo scandal that has hit the USMC. They are entertaining to say the least, and most certainly don't get the point.
pfft, Try going onto Solomons Snafu and reading up on his view of the photo scandal.. It ain't marine like to expect your fellow marines to respect you, Your meant to shut up, be violated and be happy cause apparently thats how marines roll -_- moron.

itay

Atp-56

hi,

I'm looking for some details about the NATO AAR procedure.

First, when was the ATP-56 update that changed the AAR side? in the past the the fighters joining the tanker were joined from "right observation" and after the finished they left to the left side.
Second, what is the reason for this change?

thanks

colay1

Some new S-97 information. This helicopter and the forthcoming V-280 will make a very interesting competition for future vertical lift.

https://www.defensetech.org/2017/04/18/s-97-raider-soars-flight-testing-video/?mobile=1
This is going to be interesting. Two very different designs and one wonders if one will demonstrate a clear superiority over the other. I look back at the JSF competition and the clear-cut advantage of LM's Lift Fan technology over Boeing's Direct Lift was decisive. Dual Co-Ax Rotors vs. Tilt Rotors? If neither has a decisive edge over the other then costs (acquition, operating, sustainment) should become even more of a factor.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
An interesting take on the current USAF pilot shortage. I read the "Dear Boss" letter elsewhere a few weeks back and I think that if this is indeed the case, it may point to some fundamental structural issues within the USAF.

CB90

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
An interesting take on the current USAF pilot shortage. I read the "Dear Boss" letter elsewhere a few weeks back and I think that if this is indeed the case, it may point to some fundamental structural issues within the USAF.
Opinions are like...orifices.

I've heard Navy pilots complain about the fact they have ground jobs at all, with some wishing they could be like the Air Force and just focus entirely on tactics.

The surface side of the Navy is probably on the other end of the spectrum, with officers focusing very heavily on leadership/management relative to the pure kinetic warfare side of things, and they're certainly not free of leadership issues.