Usa

Status
Not open for further replies.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
and apparently the entire senior admin at State has resigned as of Wed.

op-ed in wash post

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
and apparently the entire senior admin at State has resigned as of Wed.

op-ed in wash post
It sounds bad, then you hear the details, gets worse. It wasn't even top story for the day. Then you combine that information with other information. I had hoped that there would be enough republican stability behind Trump to secure these key non-political roles.

Julie Bishop tells President Donald Trump that Asia wants 'more US leadership, not less'

There seems to be a widening gap between what should be happening and what is happening. The Trump administration are going to have a difficult time getting on top of some of this.

colay1

I was surprised that the crowd Trump addressed at the CIA appeared to be cheering and applauding loudly in the video I saw. That is until I read an account that Trump's and Pompeo's party occupied the first 3 rows of seats.
'Bizarre' is too kind a word to describe his performance at CIA HQ.

cdxbow

I was surprised that the crowd Trump addressed at the CIA appeared to be cheering and applauding loudly in the video I saw. That is until I read an account that Trump's and Pompeo's party occupied the first 3 rows of seats.
'Bizarre' is too kind a word to describe his performance at CIA HQ.
Life is truly stranger than fiction. If you wrote a novel describing Mr Trumps campaign, election and his continuing behaviour as POTUS, people would read it and not find it believable. We are all in for an interesting ride.

hauritz

Trump plan tax 20% Mexico goods which ultimately is pay by US consumers

Seem like trade war is coming
Yeah ... I wonder how long it will take before the average US taxpayer realises that the 20% goods tax will actually be paid by American consumers and not the Mexicans themselves.

Not only that but most of the big companies that make stuff in Mexico are US owned.

If there is a trade war I can tell you now that America will lose badly. At the end of the day you simply can't compete with cheap foreign labour.

t68

Yeah ... I wonder how long it will take before the average US taxpayer realises that the 20% goods tax will actually be paid by American consumers and not the Mexicans themselves.

Not only that but most of the big companies that make stuff in Mexico are US owned.

If there is a trade war I can tell you now that America will lose badly. At the end of the day you simply can't compete with cheap foreign labour.
But if the tariff cost was so high and the consumers demaned its either pay the tarrif or manufacture back in the US, either why the USconsume pays the high price

hauritz

But if the tariff cost was so high and the consumers demaned its either pay the tarrif or manufacture back in the US, either why the USconsume pays the high price
The consumer will pay a very high price and at the end of it all they will have a wall that I suspect won't be all that effective anyway.

Building a wall without first doing research to determine whether or not it would be an effective solution is madness. As long as Mexicans have access to shovels and ladders I suspect a wall isn't going to do much to stop anyone determined to cross the border.

t68

The consumer will pay a very high price and at the end of it all they will have a wall that I suspect won't be all that effective anyway.

Building a wall without first doing research to determine whether or not it would be an effective solution is madness. As long as Mexicans have access to shovels and ladders I suspect a wall isn't going to do much to stop anyone determined to cross the border.
Agree on the wall situation not much if the tunnel again,if the manufacturing comes back Trump can show that as a win, bu it also means that the wall itself wil cost the US taxpayer irrespective if the wall is built or not.

I think Trump is caught in a problem of his own making in regards to the wall, if he dosn't follow thru its ammunition for the oppsition in the future.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
a bit of panic coming out of Texas - both Congressional sides of the political divide are saying that if a trade war starts with Mexico it will drive the state into a recession and eventually the D word

colay1

If economies deteriorate south of the border which doesn't seem to concern Trump, expect a tsunami of illegals to head North. Don't expect Mexico to help. No wall will stand up to that.

AegisFC

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Mexico has already stated that they keep a large portion of people from the south of them from getting to the US. Any sort of wall or trade war happens and that law enforcement help goes away.

weaponwh

trump put ban on 7 countries, US permanent resident and green card also affected, including international fly transit via US.

saw a news early where a british phd resident with Iran passport going back to UK transit via JFK was stop, has to find alternate route outside of US.

Silicon Valley Leaders Slam Trump Refugee Restrictions, Offer Employees Legal Aid - NBC News

Trump's immigration ban sends shockwaves - CNNPolitics.com

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jan/28/airports-us-immigration-ban-muslim-countries-trump

Homeland security says green card holders included
Holders of passports from Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen were stopped at airports, while passengers already in the air were detained in the US. In one incident, five Iraqi passengers and one Yemeni, all holding valid visas, were barred from boarding an EgyptAir flight from Cairo to New York and instead redirected on to flights to their home countries.

A Yazidi woman, who fled an Isis massacre in Iraq in 2014, was stopped from boarding a flight in Baghdad, after waiting months for a visa to be reunited with her husband, who is already in the US.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...nal-trump-us-ban-immigration-muslim-countries

Toblerone

Banned Member
Well, that is exactly what he had promised to do before the elections. Extreeeeme vetting.

The example with the iraqi woman that wanted to reunite with her husband is a good example of how things can get out of control. You plan to accept 10000 people and they bring in ten times more, then they give birth to even more to get the benefits, then they eventually get citizenship and vote for Democrats because they are a minority and so on ...

Or they don't have citizenship and illegally vote for Democrats
Hillary Clinton received 800,000 votes from noncitizens, bolsters Trump argument, study finds - Washington Times

2007yellow430

Well, that is exactly what he had promised to do before the elections. Extreeeeme vetting.

The example with the iraqi woman that wanted to reunite with her husband is a good example of how things can get out of control. You plan to accept 10000 people and they bring in ten times more, then they give birth to even more to get the benefits, then they eventually get citizenship and vote for Democrats because they are a minority and so on ...

Hillary Clinton received 800,000 votes from noncitizens, bolsters Trump argument, study finds - Washington Times
That does not appear to a credible source and the title misquotes the article. Did you read it?

BTW: District Court granted a temporary restraining order precluding enforcement as to those folks in transit.

Art

Last edited by a moderator:

colay1

He will prioritize Christian refugees? How exactly will he verify the religiosity of prospective immigrants? Would love to see what kind of god-detector DHS will use. This could actually backfire and make it easier for a Jihadist posing as a Christian to slip through.

Last edited:

colay1

LOL.. The Washington Times of Sun Hyung Moon fame? Well his "Moonies' believe he is the messiah after all.

Toblerone

Banned Member
I don't know what you are talking about. But I have seen in other discussions that the article I posted here is misrepresenting the results of the study, so let's ignore it.

Damn fake news :p:

swerve

Super Moderator
The Trump version.

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
And I shall tell them - fuck off!"

2007yellow430

I don't know enough to comment on the need for greater investigation of folks coming here, but I surely know incompetence when I see it. This does not bode well, if this is their best.

Art

Status
Not open for further replies.