US Navy selects its new frigate, and already a design change?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nightsight971

Greetings all,

I'd love to talk with y'all about the big design change in reference to the US Navy's newest frigate.

I believe it was the Fincantieri FREMM Bergamini class involved in the frigate competition. If it wasn't, stop reading !!!!

I have attached 2 pictures for comparison.

When I saw the selection, I was excited that the Navy was going with a sleek, futuristic design. I was pulling for the Austal design since Arleigh Burk's are pretty normal looking. But now there has been a major redesign and the new ship looks nothing like like the competition boat.

Please advise what the reasons are for the US Navy to redesign a ship that just won a competition . Why pick this boat?

And please discuss the philosophy behind the US Navy's antenna/radar mast designs. I'm very interested to know why the US Navy doesn't utilize the tall "domes" that were on the original FREMM design.

NEW US NAVY FRIGATE vs ORIGINAL FREMM

Newfrigate.png
ItalianFREMM.jpg

Redlands18

Greetings all,

I'd love to talk with y'all about the big design change in reference to the US Navy's newest frigate.

I believe it was the Fincantieri FREMM Bergamini class involved in the frigate competition. If it wasn't, stop reading !!!!

When I saw the selection, I was excited that the Navy was going with a sleek, futuristic design. I was pulling for the Austal design since Arleigh Burk's are pretty normal looking. But now there has been a major redesign and the new ship looks nothing like like the competition boat.

Please advise what the reasons are for the US Navy to redesign a ship that just won a competition . Why pick this boat?

And please discuss the philosophy behind the US Navy's antenna/radar mast designs. I'm very interested to know why the US Navy doesn't utilize the tall "domes" that were on the original FREMM design.

View attachment 47382
View attachment 47383
The forward mast is easy to explain the USN are putting the SPY 6 Radar on theirs as well as MK41 VLS for Standard and ESSM SAMs, so a completely different sensor and weapon fit to what the French and Italians put on theirs. As for Bow, its very similar to whats on the Burkes, probably just a preference and they are significantly longer at 152m.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Greetings all,

View attachment 47382
View attachment 47383
We have some rules on here and one of those is that you have to cite your sources including the photos.

Secondly your post is somewhat sensationlist and kinda demanding like a teacher setting homework. We don't take to kindly to that. We are also not a research organization so you should do your own research instead of wanting us to do it. If you require us to conduct your research for you then contact the webmaster who I am sure will happily negotiate a suitable professional rate.

If you did some basic research, like Mr Google, you would have found the answer to your question, plus you could've read the USN thread instead of wasting our time.

Long story short, the USN FFGX is the Italian FREMM ASW sub class design that has been modified for the USN. I am sure that since you were capable of posting on here, you can find the rest.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
But now there has been a major redesign and the new ship looks nothing like like the competition boat.
There's no redesign. FFG(X) design that Fincantieri put is never going to be another FREMM. Just like Ngati post, it's a design that only using FREMM as base but will used USN standard equipment. Thus off course the design that being put will reflect other USN vessels due to similarities on sensors, weapons and equipment.

Take a look on whole Congress documentation, and it's very clear from beginning that the design must reflect it's capabilities to used as much as possible US made and USN standard equipment. You will not going to see FFG(X) design that similar to Italian FREMM or French FREMM as they are using Euro standard equipment. Congress will not allow that, and logistically USN will never adopted that also.

Preceptor

Super Moderator
Staff member
OP banned for three months for violating Forum Rule #'s 4, 17, 20 & 23. Two one-liner posts, including a response to a prior Moderator comment, deleted. Thread locked due to there already being a USN discussion thread.
-Preceptor

Status
Not open for further replies.