US Navy News and updates

colay1

Another possibility is LRASM. Apparently it will be capable of being launched from a deck launcher as well as VLS. On the plus side it would offer superior range and explosive punch in a stealthier platform with advanced sensors and networking capabilities. It would also allow the Navy to standardize on a single AShM for it's surface combatants from LCS/FFG, DDG and CG. Though it's likely the most expensive of the bunch.

Navy LRASM Missile Destroys Enemy Targets Semi-Autonomously; Lockheed Tests Ship-Fired Variant - Warrior - Scout

Ranger25

Staff member
Another possibility is LRASM. Apparently it will be capable of being launched from a deck launcher as well as VLS. On the plus side it would offer superior range and explosive punch in a stealthier platform with advanced sensors and networking capabilities. It would also allow the Navy to standardize on a single AShM for it's surface combatants from LCS/FFG, DDG and CG. Though it's likely the most expensive of the bunch.

Navy LRASM Missile Destroys Enemy Targets Semi-Autonomously; Lockheed Tests Ship-Fired Variant - Warrior - Scout
Agreed 100%. I think the USN is looking to add lethality to the LCS even prior to IOC of the LRASM which is currently projecting for 2019. They can use canister Harpoons or NSM now

CB90

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro

Cost is a funny thing. I've seen articles quote LRASM as being roughly the same cost as a NSM. Which is quite a bit more than the most recent Harpoons.

But with cost being relatively close all around, I would expect selection to narrow down on a combination of logistics and "bang for salvo." As salvo sizes from the smaller combatants will be rather limited and reloads during a campaign are rather unlikely...you need to ensure whatever they're armed with is going to have the desired net effect.

Ranger25

Staff member
My thoughts are once a surface launched variant of the LRASM reached IOC it will become the standard load out for the fleet whether via MK41 or deck mount d canisters. The Harpoon ER and NSM will fill the gap until IOC

colay1

The USN is looking to enhance the lethality of it's anti-air warfare capabilities by adding an active radar seeker in the next version of ESSM. This should allow for third-party targeting and make it a better fit in networked battlespace. I'm guessing it would be based on AMRAAM seeker tech which has been successfully adapted to SM-6.

Raytheon moves to full-scale development of RIM-162 ESSM Block 2 ship-defense missile

WASHINGTON, 17 April 2015. Missile experts at the Raytheon Co. are moving forward with a project to design a next-generation shipboard missile able to defeat a wide variety of aircraft and missile threats with an active radar seeker than can operate independently of the launch ship...Compared with its ESSM Block 1 predecessor, the ESSM Block 2 missile will have increased maneuverability and other enhancements that will enable it to defeat future threats to U.S. and allied navies operating in hostile environments, Raytheon officials say. The ESSM Block 2’s active seeker will support terminal engagement without the launch ship’s target illumination radars.

More at the link.

Ranger25

Staff member
USMC salvaging moth balled FA18s

The USMC is being forced to refurbish moth balled FA18s due to budget cuts and delays in the F35 IOC. Boeing has been under contract since 2014 to bring moth balled airframes up to FA-18C+ status. Incredible that USMC fixed wing is down to 32% Readiness rates.

Lt. Gen. Jon Davis, the USMC deputy commandant for aviation, told Senate lawmakers that just 32 percent of the Corps’ Hornet fighters were operational. The branch needs at least 58 percent of the F/A-18s to be flight ready so that there are enough planes for combat, flight instruction and day-to-day training.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
always been fascinated by this concept, certainly adds a different layer to the MEU/ARG

GD to start work on fifth US Navy expeditionary mobile base ship | Naval Today
Yes very interesting and exciting but not new, the RN was looking to convert a battleship HMS Agincourt into a mobile base to support expeditionary forces in the early 20s. The idea died with the scraping of Agincourt under the Washington treaty followed be the Great Depression.

I do like the concept and can see a place for it, even in medium size navies such as the RAN. Once the door has been kicked in, or if there is no door to kick in, such ships would be far more efficient and sustainable than more traditional amphibious or expeditionary vessels.

swerve

Super Moderator
One of my family (my grandfather's oldest brother) was a stoker on HMS Agincourt from when she was taken over from the Turkish navy before delivery (August 1914) until after her one big battle - Jutland.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
One of my family (my grandfather's oldest brother) was a stoker on HMS Agincourt from when she was taken over from the Turkish navy before delivery (August 1914) until after her one big battle - Jutland.
Apparently she fired a full broadside during Jutland to disprove the theory that firing all fourteen guns at once would capsize her. She didn't capsize but the result was pretty spectacular with a massive sheet of flame and so much smoke many thought it was another battlecruiser blowing up.

swerve

Super Moderator
I didn't know him myself (died when I was a baby), but his daughters told me that he reported that the firing of a broadside made the whole ship shake so much the crew thought it had been hit.

Supposedly, all those guns were some sort of prestige thing.

Oh, & when the RN took her over (my relative was assigned to her 4th August 1914), the builders had left the original Brazilian notices for the Turks to replace, so things were labelled in Portuguese - & she had squat lavatories. :D

Ranger25

Staff member
USS Coronado (LCS-4) deploys to RIMPAC with Harpoon

Boeing has fitted LCS-4 With a WCS and Harpoon mounts for RIMPAC. Plan seems to be to conduct live fires during the annual exercise. The USN has done some preliminary war gaming with ASHM on the LCS and had favorable outcomes.

LCS Coronado sails with Harpoon missile fit | IHS Jane's 360

Coronado will retain the fitted kit and deploy to PACOM after RIMPAC

Blackshoe

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
A bad time for LCS critics. Even Michael Gilmore will be aboard ship during the third and final shock test. The tests were for Independence-class ships so Freedom-class vessels will undergo the same process.

http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?

USS Coronado Completes Survivability Test

LCS Shock Tests

LCS Survives First Shock Test, Preps For More
The thing is, though, without modules installed, saying it survived shock tests while still being fully capable isn't really saying much. And last I heard (and I've haven't been paying much attention), there's no plans to test them for shock with any of the major modules installed (whenever they get delivered).

Last edited:

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
The thing is, though, without modules installed, saying it survived shock tests while still being fully capable isn't really saying much. And last I heard (and I've haven't been paying much attention), there's no plans to test them for shock with any of the major modules installed (whenever they get delivered).
My limited understanding is the higher the mass the better the shock resistance. So long as the equipments concerned have sufficient shock clearances, resilient mountings and suitably designed interfaces, installing the modules should improve the platforms performance.

One of the time consuming things on the AWD factory acceptance tests for auxiliary equipment etc. many items obviously had not been designed with shock in mind. This wasn't Australian suppliers with no experience in naval contracts, but rather companies from Navantias supply chain that had provided equipment for multiple projects. The suppliers solution to the issue was interesting too, they banned the SME test technicians from their premises and made it clear they would only deal with non technical procurement and contracts people in future. This would be great for them, as by the time a ship was shock tested the equipment would be well out of warranty and the problem of the ships operator / owner.

Sadly Austal has a similar strategy with the RAN, deliver the ships, get full acceptance and walk away before anything major is traced back to them. It works with the Australian governments rush builds of patrol boats but not with the USNs long drawn out procurement and acceptance processes. Ah if only the RAN had something live NAVSEA SUP SHIPS, the government would be getting a very different picture of where the problems were and the RAN would be getting better ships in a more timely manner.

colay1

This is a bit puzzling. Earlier this year the Navy sank a FFG the USS Reuben James using a SM-6.

Now it is reported that a recent SINKEX starring the FFG USS Thach was conducted and tne ship absorbed a barrage of missiles including aparently 4x Harpoons, Mavericks, Hellfires, a 2000-lb bomb, a 500-lb bomb topped off by a Mk-48 Torpedo. The ship sank eventually after 12 hours.

Makes me wonder if the Reuben James was hit by more than SM-6.

Watch the Navy Send a Retired Frigate Out With a Bang