US Navy News and updates

CB90

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
IMO good, but the need for a stop gap with greater standoff prior to the availability of the LRASM is crucial. My choice would still be the NSM.

The US Navy (USN) has successfully completed a first free-flight test of the network-enabled AGM-84N Harpoon Block II+ air-launched anti-ship missile in a test on the Point Mugu sea range off the California coast.

A modification of the existing AGM-84D Harpoon Block 1C missile, the Block II+ weapon is being developed as a rapid-capability enhancement for the F/A-18E/F Super Hornet for introduction in late fiscal year 2017 (FY 2017). Block II+ introduces a GPS guidance kit, a new datalink interface that enables in-flight updates, improved target selectivity, an abort option, and enhanced resistance to electronic countermeasures to confer the Harpoon weapon with the ability to receive in-flight updates that improve the targeting and engagement of moving maritime targets.
It's an air only kit. So for those purposes, range isn't really a problem.

The other stuff it brings to the Hornet guys is of much more value.

Bonza

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was thinking more along the lines of search volume/area. Radar energy travels much better through the atmosphere in all weather conditions than the IR wavelength, so it tends to give better sensor range. Though obviously you're emitting EM energy which isn't ideal. And of course, there's always the challenge of programming in adequate ECCM.

IR obviously can give a better passive approach sneak attack, but it's going to be weather limited, more dependent on up to date target position data, and of course is potentially vulnerable to DIRCM laser jammers.
CB,

Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier, my time on the forums has been pretty sporadic. Just wanted to thank you for the information, it's much appreciated. The new Harpoon upgrade sounds intriguing.

CB90

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
CB,

Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier, my time on the forums has been pretty sporadic. Just wanted to thank you for the information, it's much appreciated. The new Harpoon upgrade sounds intriguing.
No worries, we've all been there. I've had an unseasonable amount of free time on my hands lately.

Ranger25

Staff member
Zumwalt sea trials begin

ATLANTIC OCEAN (Dec. 7, 2015) The future USS Zumwalt (DDG 1000) is underway for the first time conducting at-sea tests and trials in the Atlantic Ocean Dec. 7, 2015. The multimission ship will provide independent forward presence and deterrence, support special operations forces, and operate as an integral part of joint and combined expeditionary forces. (U.S. Navy photo courtesy of General Dynamics Bath Iron Works/Released) 151207-N-ZZ999-505

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-uf-zQ4jUI...qHf8llRx1s/s1600/23511062221_8679c5fbf7_o.jpg

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
ATLANTIC OCEAN (Dec. 7, 2015) The future USS Zumwalt (DDG 1000) is underway for the first time conducting at-sea tests and trials in the Atlantic Ocean Dec. 7, 2015. The multimission ship will provide independent forward presence and deterrence, support special operations forces, and operate as an integral part of joint and combined expeditionary forces. (U.S. Navy photo courtesy of General Dynamics Bath Iron Works/Released) 151207-N-ZZ999-505

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-uf-zQ4jUI...qHf8llRx1s/s1600/23511062221_8679c5fbf7_o.jpg
A truly ambitious and revolutionary design, too bad so few are being built. The main point which struck me in the photo was the "tumblehome" hull shape appeared much less pronounced, if at all, in the main body sections.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
A truly ambitious and revolutionary design, too bad so few are being built. The main point which struck me in the photo was the "tumblehome" hull shape appeared much less pronounced, if at all, in the main body sections.
I look forward to hearing how it performs, I know the RN were pleasantly surprised as the all electric propulsion system on the Type 45 exceeded expectations, so anticipate similar from the USN.

There still needs to be a long term replacement for the AEGIS CGs so I wouldn't be surprised if a modified DDG1000 gets up for that.

Ranger25

Staff member
I look forward to hearing how it performs, I know the RN were pleasantly surprised as the all electric propulsion system on the Type 45 exceeded expectations, so anticipate similar from the USN.

There still needs to be a long term replacement for the AEGIS CGs so I wouldn't be surprised if a modified DDG1000 gets up for that.

Agreed, would have been great to see more instead of extending the Ticos to near,y 50 operational years.

That said, I think the DDG1000s Will primarily be a test bed for the next generation of USN surface ships. The future DDG and CG(x) will incorporate many of new technologies in the DDG1000. From the IP system to rail guns and directed energy weapons.

I personally think if they can figure out the Rail guns and Directed energy weapons with the integrated power system that will be game changing tech for surface warfare. No more explosive magazines or limited number of available rounds.

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can't imagine that it'd be true - the first 5 Ticos came up for sale a while back and both the RN and Australia did look at them but the Burkes are at best, thin on the ground (or water)

I can't see any circumstances where a number of Burkes in good condition would become available for sale or transfer, not given the issues the USN has with taskings vs hull numbers.

Ranger25

Staff member
I can't imagine that it'd be true - the first 5 Ticos came up for sale a while back and both the RN and Australia did look at them but the Burkes are at best, thin on the ground (or water)

I can't see any circumstances where a number of Burkes in good condition would become available for sale or transfer, not given the issues the USN has with taskings vs hull numbers.
Agreed, I've seen no credible reports of this after a search.

Ranger25

Staff member
Interesting insight on the USN Distributed Lethality concept

i continue to be please with the USN overall awareness of the need for more offensive capability, and soon, for SAGs. Good read in thoughts etc.

I appreciate the fact they're looking at off the shelf products to fill gaps with items like the LRASM reach IOC. Although, IMO, the potential SSM version of the TLAM would provide greater standoff I thinks it's low speed and lack of stealth make it an easy target for Peer level defenses.

Essay: Taking Distributed Lethality to the Next Level - USNI News

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
They have shopped them around to everyone, wasn't that back in the day of the fall of the shah in Iran 79/80?
Late 90s they were offered to Aust for a bargain basement price as replacements for the retiring Perth Class DDGs. The Howard government refused for a number of reasons including the bad experience with the ex USN LSTs, concern that the cost of introducing them would force a cut of one or two FFGs from the FFGUP, as well as concern from the RAN and industry that the capability they introduced would see the hoped for new destroyers (AWD, the RAN hoping for Burkes) delayed until after 2010.

Hindsight, the Kidds with NTU were markedly more capable than the upgraded FFGs and I believe also in a superior material state. The two FFGs they feared would be dropped from FFGUP were pulled anyway due to cost and schedule issues which saw four, instead of six ships delivered, several years late for more than the Kidd Acquisition would have cost overall. The RAN missed out on their Burkes and the selected AEGIS frigate is years behind schedule. Maybe the Kidds wouldn't have been such a bad idea.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
I have always thought the USN's enthusiasm for the F-35 has been less than the other two services. Costs and delays may be part of the reason but I suspect the growing concern over carrier vulnerability (perceived or real) has created a desire for something with far more range than the F-18SH or F-35C have. UCLASS is the USN's likely priority now.

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not quite - they've got two fleets to update -the FA/18's which are shagged and need sorting, and they do the strike role mostly. Then there's the Super Hornets which are a bit fresher. F35C is intended to replace that first fleet, the oldest bird, with a different aircraft for fleet defender work and that can wait a bit as the cabs are younger.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Not quite - they've got two fleets to update -the FA/18's which are shagged and need sorting, and they do the strike role mostly. Then there's the Super Hornets which are a bit fresher. F35C is intended to replace that first fleet, the oldest bird, with a different aircraft for fleet defender work and that can wait a bit as the cabs are younger.
I was under the impression that the Superhornets were preferred for strike as they have better range. They are not considered to be a replacement for the Tomcat but I guess the interceptor role had to be taken up by them. Any idea what the ratio of Hornets to Superhornets is at the moment? Surely the SHs must outnumber the legacy Hornets by now?

alexsa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I have always thought the USN's enthusiasm for the F-35 has been less than the other two services. Costs and delays may be part of the reason but I suspect the growing concern over carrier vulnerability (perceived or real) has created a desire for something with far more range than the F-18SH or F-35C have. UCLASS is the USN's likely priority now.
The other point that may be very pertinent is the development period. Looking now may mean a new airframe selection in 10 (or more) years ......... Noting the F18m while now very capable, may have to face emerging 5th gen (well claimed to be 5th gen) aircraft soon to be available for sale the idea of looking toward 6th gen makes sense.