US Navy News and updates

AegisFC

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
On a second note, I hear all of the Nimitz class carriers are entering combat with less than two thirds of the hanger space filled and less than three quarters of the seating/sleeping area's full.
Air wings are smaller partially because the planes are more flexible and more reliable. Some planes were abandoned for no good reason (S-3) but for the most part the current air wing is just as effective or more so than one from the early 80's.

Does anyone have any info on the Litton DDM, an early 80s AEGIS destroyer concept built on the basic Spruance hull. It apparently is covered to some extent in a later edition of Friedmans US Destroyer than the copy I have and I have seen some limited info Shipbucket etc. The images I have seen are very interesting as when I first saw them I thought it was a Spanish F-100 before I realised there was a second VLS situated between the funnel and hanger and that it was in fact a much larger ship.
I have the latest volume and there is a small blurb on and a nice big drawing. PM me.

RubiconNZ

The Wanderer
Well the FY-2013 Budget details are being released:
Cuts
7 Tico's
2 LCS/Delayed?
8 HSV's /Delayed?
2 LSD's

As I was typing this Defense News updated with a Navy story detailing the changes

Mostly unharmed unsurprisingly considering the lack of funding priority in the past decade, in fact I believe the Cruisers and LSD's will be cannibalised quite heavily to keep the remainder in service.

They are steaming ahead with the Virginia Payload module and the Prompt Conventional Strike Capability.

Thoughts?

Edit

I just read this line "Mr Panetta said there would be funding for a floating base that would serve special operations forces as well as drone units."

Very interesting going for the mothership approach, although it sounds like what the Marines have being doing for some time.

Last edited:

tatra

Verified Defense Pro
Well the FY-2013 Budget details are being released:
Cuts
7 Tico's
2 LCS/Delayed?
8 HSV's /Delayed?
2 LSD's

As I was typing this Defense News updated with a Navy story detailing the changes

Mostly unharmed unsurprisingly considering the lack of funding priority in the past decade, in fact I believe the Cruisers and LSD's will be cannibalised quite heavily to keep the remainder in service.

They are steaming ahead with the Virginia Payload module and the Prompt Conventional Strike Capability.

Thoughts?
All Ticos suffer from cracks in the aluminium superstructure, over 3000 cracks have been discovered throughtout the class. They may be retired in favor of Burkes.

Belesari

All Ticos suffer from cracks in the aluminium superstructure, over 3000 cracks have been discovered throughtout the class. They may be retired in favor of Burkes.
One of the reasons the Burkes are so fat bodied is because the increasing size of radar superstructures was making ships like the Tico way to top heavy. And the aluminum superstructures cant bend with the steel. So they got fat and alot was placed within the Hull which gave it alot more stability and space to include new things.

AegisFC

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The Burkes are wider than is traditional for the USN because NAVSEA wanted to try out a new hull form based on observations of Soviet and allied practices. The traditional narrow hull form used by the USN is great for high speed in smooth water but slower over a range of sea states.

Belesari

The Burkes are wider than is traditional for the USN because NAVSEA wanted to try out a new hull form based on observations of Soviet and allied practices. The traditional narrow hull form used by the USN is great for high speed in smooth water but slower over a range of sea states.
I've heard both were reasons. I think its shown to be a great hull form. More stable, more space, Less aluminum.

Rimasta

U.S. Navy to name LCS after wounded U.S. congresswoman

News that the Navy intends to name a new Littoral Combat Ship after U.S. congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords who was shot in a January 2011 assassination attempt. I'm curious of the views of posters on defencetalk as to the U.S. Navy's choice of naming a ship of war after a politician wounded in a failed assassination attempt? Before this occurred most Americans have never even heard of her and any contribution to the future, care, or prestige of the U.S. Navy by her office seems questionable. Besides shouldn't a name like the U.S.S. Martin Luther King be considered more so perhaps due to his role in shaping domestic politics during the civil rights movement? It seems his name and impact on the United States was more profound than a largely obscure congresswoman.

AegisFC

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
"Fish don't vote." -Admiral Rickover.

This has LONG been a problem in the USN going back to at least 1968 with the submarine USS William H. Bates. Both parties do this so one isn't to blame more than the other and most people in the military find it objectionable however naming of ships is SecNav's job.

Belesari

News that the Navy intends to name a new Littoral Combat Ship after U.S. congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords who was shot in a January 2011 assassination attempt. I'm curious of the views of posters on defencetalk as to the U.S. Navy's choice of naming a ship of war after a politician wounded in a failed assassination attempt? Before this occurred most Americans have never even heard of her and any contribution to the future, care, or prestige of the U.S. Navy by her office seems questionable. Besides shouldn't a name like the U.S.S. Martin Luther King be considered more so perhaps due to his role in shaping domestic politics during the civil rights movement? It seems his name and impact on the United States was more profound than a largely obscure congresswoman.
This has caused a huge stink. Everyone feels for Mrs. Giffords but this is simple political BS. Supposedly they say the naming conventions will go back to normal. They are in everyway atm just tools to get favors from congress right now. Some of the names that have been chosen are so damn terrible.

Looked at another way......how many men have died and gotten the MOH over the last year? Seems to me there is a massive amount of people who are better deserving.

This has caused a huge stink. Everyone feels for Mrs. Giffords but this is simple political BS. Supposedly they say the naming conventions will go back to normal. They are in everyway atm just tools to get favors from congress right now. Some of the names that have been chosen are so damn terrible.

Looked at another way......how many men have died and gotten the MOH over the last year? Seems to me there is a massive amount of people who are better deserving.
is her rehabilitation process not relate-able by the countless US service members who have also had to go through such exhausting process?

she is also married to an ex US naval captain and on subcommittees:
Gabrielle Giffords - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Belesari

is her rehabilitation process not relate-able by the countless US service members who have also had to go through such exhausting process?

she is also married to an ex US naval captain and on subcommittees:
Gabrielle Giffords - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Has she been in the Navy? No. Yes she was shot and yes her husband is a formal naval aviator. However, she is not a service member.

What happened to her was a tragic experience and hopefully soon that man will be executed. However there are a thousand better names.

By that frame of mind every single person who has been through such a terrible experience in worthy of getting a ship name its becomes worthless after being run through so much.

Lastly there is strength and pride in a name. Enterprise, Alabama, Ticonderoga, America., etc....

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Has she been in the Navy? No. Yes she was shot and yes her husband is a formal naval aviator. However, she is not a service member.

What happened to her was a tragic experience and hopefully soon that man will be executed. However there are a thousand better names.

By that frame of mind every single person who has been through such a terrible experience in worthy of getting a ship name its becomes worthless after being run through so much.

Lastly there is strength and pride in a name. Enterprise, Alabama, Ticonderoga, America., etc....
Ironically had she not been shot and had continued in public service from what I can see from USN naming conventions she may well have had a ship named for her any way.

Brian Murza

''the espionage of new london/groton submarine base''.

Post Deleted - your behaviour is unacceptable

Last edited by a moderator:

swerve

Super Moderator

Agreed.

I have great sympathy for Ms Giffords, applaud her courage in submitting to filmed interviews, & wish her well (I hope for her sake she's able to ride a bike again one day), but don't see it as appropriate to name a USN ship for her.

She was in the US congress, & was on the armed services committee, but not on a naval subcommittee. Her connection to the US navy is extremely tenuous.

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
USN commemorates the bombing of Darwin

USS Chafee DDG 91 arrived in Darwin yeaterday to commemorate the 70th anniversary of the bombing of DARWIN on 19th February.
US losses KIA were;
USS Peary (destroyer ) 91, USS William B Preston (seaplane tender) 15, USAT Miegs (Army Transport) 1, US transport Moana Loa 5, US Transport Port Mar 1, the two small US supply ships Florence D 3 and Don Isidro 14.
There were also 7 US Army and US AAF personnel killed from the 33rd Pursuit Squadron (P-40 Kittyhawks) in a valiant but futile attempt to defend Darwin
137 US personnel will be remembered tomorrow together with the Australian casualties

AegisFC

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
In the USN's budget submission some interesting things.

The BMD equipped Burkes, USS Ross (DDG-51), USS Donald Cook (DDG-75), USS Porter (DDG-78) and USS Carney (DDG-64) are going to be forward deployed to Rota Spain

4 LCS (no mention of type) forward deployed to Singapore.

A three ship ARG is moving to Naval Station Mayport, Fl.

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anyone got any info in regards to the number of DDG-1000 destroyers that are planned to be built? AFAIK the last figure i heard of was 3.

Is the ship going to be worth the money? I mean i've heard figures around £3bn tossed around for producing the first vessel alone.

AegisFC

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Anyone got any info in regards to the number of DDG-1000 destroyers that are planned to be built? AFAIK the last figure i heard of was 3.

Is the ship going to be worth the money? I mean i've heard figures around £3bn tossed around for producing the first vessel alone.
Three as of this point but depending on how much DDG-51 restart costs maybe more.

Part of the problem with DDG-1000 is that development dragged on for decades and instead of a cheap and cheerful Sprucan replacement with a NGFS emphisis it got morphed under Rummy into its current iteraton. However it has a lot of engineering plant equipment the USN wanted for a long time that was wrapped into the development costs of these ships but will be applicable in other ships as well. Same with the radars and PVLS.

As it stands right now the three ships are similar to the USS Long Beach, a test bed of advanced concepts as well as an active warship. That may or may not pay off in future ship classes.

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
Three as of this point but depending on how much DDG-51 restart costs maybe more.

Part of the problem with DDG-1000 is that development dragged on for decades and instead of a cheap and cheerful Sprucan replacement with a NGFS emphisis it got morphed under Rummy into its current iteraton. However it has a lot of engineering plant equipment the USN wanted for a long time that was wrapped into the development costs of these ships but will be applicable in other ships as well. Same with the radars and PVLS.

As it stands right now the three ships are similar to the USS Long Beach, a test bed of advanced concepts as well as an active warship. That may or may not pay off in future ship classes.
Best thing they can do is re-use as much as possible in a different, cheaper platform. If it'd gone ahead as a Sprucan replacement then it'd have been pretty damn useful mind...

Ian