Ukranian Crisis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ukraine snap elections.. Early reputable exit polls suggesting big swing westwards, with Poroshenko gaining somewhere around 23%. Yatseniuk's poluar front party gaining up to 21% with Samopomich party looking around 11-14% of the vote. Currently, who is fourth is not yet as clear, with some nationalists and former associates of Yanukovich possibly in this position.

Voter turnout lower than expected at 53%.

Does this mean 'lustration' has succeeded?
I guess that depends on the parameters of "success". If you're wondering whether the Ukrainian government still consists of incompetents and crooks - it does.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Update.

Checkpoints 31 and 32 are still surrounded near Bakhmutka. Government forces can't break through to them. Information conflicts on whether the personnel are National Guard, or 80th Airmobile. One of the volunteers reported 8 dead bodies brought out by truck, under fire, from the checkpoints.

There is an unconfirmed report that the 32nd checkpoint was allowed to leave the encirclement with their weapons and equipment, provided that they left their positions. If this is true, that confirms my idea that they intend to push back Ukrainian troops to gain as much ground as they can, before the borders between Ukraine and the breakaway regions becomes demarcated.

Ð”ÐµÐ½Ð¸Ñ ÐœÐ¾ÐºÑ€ÑƒÑˆÐ¸Ð½ - Про окружение блокпоÑта â„–32

Rebels may be preparing another offensive near Donetsk, probably against the airport.

Also some photos from the government side.

Ополчение готовитÑÑ Ðº проведению маÑштабной Ñпец. операции в Донецке
КрыÑа из нержавеющей Ñтали - Две попытки штурма Донецкого аÑропорта отражены
Ð”ÐµÐ½Ð¸Ñ ÐœÐ¾ÐºÑ€ÑƒÑˆÐ¸Ð½ - О маÑкировке

Photos of a destroyed BTR-4. The circumstances are unclear.

ПоÑвилиÑÑŒ первые фото доказательÑтва потери нового БТР-4 ВС Украины

Video from the 95th airmobile brigade, in the village Peski, near the Donetsk airport. Note the gear and weapons of the Ukrainian soldiers. They're a lot better then what we saw earlier in the conflict. Food and supplies are still clearly an issue. The personnel being interviewed are air defense crewmen. They say that the infantry refused to take this position, so they were sent.

Ð”ÐµÐ½Ð¸Ñ ÐœÐ¾ÐºÑ€ÑƒÑˆÐ¸Ð½ - "Мы вообще зенитка. Мы должны ÑтоÑÑ‚ÑŒ в тылу. Ðо пехота отказалаÑÑŒ ехать..."©

Rebel sourced video from the Donetsk airport area. The second video features some Ossetian fighters. Unclear if from South or North.

Блог ÐлекÑандра Шакуна - ÐÑропорт
Блог ÐлекÑандра Шакуна - ÐÑропорт

Photos from the Donetsk airport and surrounding area.

Вахтенный журнал Ñтареющего пирата - The Battle for Donetsk...

This is what starting up T-64 tanks requires, in the cold.

Вахтенный журнал Ñтареющего пирата - Украина. Дым на горизонте!

Border demarcation has begun in both Lugansk and Donbass regions, from both sides.

Ð”ÐµÐ½Ð¸Ñ ÐœÐ¾ÐºÑ€ÑƒÑˆÐ¸Ð½ - Пограничные поÑÑ‚Ñ‹ между ДонбаÑÑом и Украиной

Poroshenko says he's confident that an agreement about the gas will be reached.

Íîâîñòè NEWSru.com :: Ïîðîøåíêî ñ÷èòàåò âåðîÿòíûì äîãîâîðèòüñÿ ñ ÐÔ ïî ãàçó â áëèæàéøóþ ñðåäó

25 million rounds of AK ammo are missing in Ukraine.

Ðа Украине было украдено более 25 миллионов патронов к автомату Калашникова

Israel declined to sell UAVs to Ukraine, but Ukraine is still trying to arrange a purchase.

Глава МИД Украины пытаетÑÑ ÑƒÐ³Ð¾Ð²Ð¾Ñ€Ð¸Ñ‚ÑŒ Израиль о продаже БПЛÐ

OSCE UAVs (Siebel S-100) near Mariupol'.

bmpd - Camcopter S-100
КрыÑа из нержавеющей Ñтали - Меркель призывает поддержать Украину финанÑово Ð´Ð»Ñ ÑƒÐ¿Ð»Ð°Ñ‚Ñ‹ долгов за газ

An up-armored Ural for the Ukrainian military.

Ð”ÐµÐ½Ð¸Ñ ÐœÐ¾ÐºÑ€ÑƒÑˆÐ¸Ð½ - Бронирование УРÐЛов

The Ukrainian nuclear agency is repairing vehicles for the military.

bmpd -

Merkel is calling for Europe to support Ukraine financially to pay for gas.

КрыÑа из нержавтали - Меркель призывает поддержать Украину финанÑово Ð´Ð»Ñ ÑƒÐ¿Ð»Ð°Ñ‚Ñ‹ долгов за газ

Rebels have Kornet ATGMs. Clearly recent and quite modern Russian supplies.

bmpd -

More info on shortages of winter uniforms for the Ukrainian army.

Ðа вÑех бойцов ВСУ зимней формы может не хватить

Photo material of volunteers up-armoring vehicles for btln Azov.

Ð”ÐµÐ½Ð¸Ñ ÐœÐ¾ÐºÑ€ÑƒÑˆÐ¸Ð½ - Техника батальона "Ðзов"

Meanwhile the Russian FMS has listed ads in Ukrainian newspapers, to help Ukrainians move to Russia. It might have something to do with the fact that now over 200 000 have come to Russia and taken refugee status (remember earlier only tens of thousands had refugee status). Quite expensive.

КрыÑа из нержавеющей Ñтали - По заказу ФМС РоÑÑии
Íîâîñòè NEWSru.com :: Ðîññèÿ è Óêðàèíà ïîäñ÷èòàëè áåæåíöåâ è ïåðåñåëåíöåâ ñ âîñòîêà: èõ áîëåå 600 òûñÿ÷

Containers, for Ukrainian soldiers, to live in during the winter.

Ð”ÐµÐ½Ð¸Ñ ÐœÐ¾ÐºÑ€ÑƒÑˆÐ¸Ð½ - ÐšÐ¾Ð½Ñ‚ÐµÐ¹Ð½ÐµÑ€Ð½Ð°Ñ Ð¶Ð¸Ð·Ð½ÑŒ

dprijadi

Feanor, some info from cassad / murid indicate the existence of / a new wave of 'vacationer with heavy weapons' in the rebel held areas.. Do you see this also from the links ? is this indication of another round of Ukie offensive ? and the arming of rebels with Kornet, is that another sign of escalation / rebel getting 1st class weapons now ?

i wonder if T90 will enter the show in rebel hands

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feanor, some info from cassad / murid indicate the existence of / a new wave of 'vacationer with heavy weapons' in the rebel held areas.. Do you see this also from the links ? is this indication of another round of Ukie offensive ? and the arming of rebels with Kornet, is that another sign of escalation / rebel getting 1st class weapons now ?

i wonder if T90 will enter the show in rebel hands
I doubt the T-90 will be in rebel hands. The T-72B3s we've seen were operated by the Russian military. If the T-90 sees action in this war, it will likely be crewed by Russian military personnel. I don't see any indications of another Ukrainian offensive. Checkpoint 32 surrendered their position on the condition of being allowed to leave with their weapons and equipment. Checkpoint 31 is surrounded and besieged by the rebels. The rebels are also pushing into Schastye (albeit not successfully) and into the Donetsk Airport. In other areas, like Mariupol', the situation seems to have stabilized and the OSCE along with representatives from both sides, has begun monitoring missions. Even a border of some sort is being demarcated. It seems to me like Russia is not willing to escalate further, so the situation is mostly winding down, with the Ukrainian military completely out of steam. I think the rebels will try to gain whatever ground they can, before the conflict freezes entirely. They may take a few smaller towns or villages, but no major cities will fall to them.

There were rumors of experimental Russian weapons used in the conflict as a way of combat testing them. Pro-Ukrainian sources claimed an experimental ATGM (the Hermes) was used, as well as guided arty shells (Kitolov-2), Pantsyr-S, etc. Lots of Russian UAVs were in fact used. And Russian ELINT/SIGINT assets were buzzing around the borders. It's certainly possible that Russian military equipment was field tested under combat conditions, using the conflict as a sort of polygon. But solid evidence hasn't surfaced. Only photos of what may be the remains of the munitions. Keep in mind the Kornet itself is not new, or experimental in any way. Lots of them have been exported, and lots are in service in Russia.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Update.

Rebels using AGS-17s for indirect fire.

http://twower.livejournal.com/1475280.html

Donetsk airport from the air.

http://eagle-rost.livejournal.com/256211.html

Rebels firing on a government column, near the Donetsk airport.

Ð”ÐµÐ½Ð¸Ñ ÐœÐ¾ÐºÑ€ÑƒÑˆÐ¸Ð½ - Ðтака на колонну

A BRDM-2 upgrade, involving installation of an NSV 12.7mm HMG, and a 7.62 PK.

Ð”ÐµÐ½Ð¸Ñ ÐœÐ¾ÐºÑ€ÑƒÑˆÐ¸Ð½ - Модернизированный БÐ*ДМ

A ground remote-controlled tracked vehicles, for the Ukrainian army.

Ð”ÐµÐ½Ð¸Ñ ÐœÐ¾ÐºÑ€ÑƒÑˆÐ¸Ð½ - Мини-танк поехал в ÐТО

Ukraine has cancelled their contract to deliver T-64BM1M to Congo. Instead they will all go to the Ukrainian military.

bmpd -

There are problems with the South African coal Ukraine intended to buy. Namely the company in question doesn't want to deal with Ukraine in fear for it's reputation. Steel Mont Trading doesn't like the price it's getting and so has cut the number of coal from 1 million tons, to 500 000 tons. This may be related to the increases in coal prices in the winter.

Íîâîñòè NEWSru.com :: Þæíîàôðèêàíñêàÿ êîìïàíèÿ îòêàçûâàåòñÿ ïîñòàâëÿòü Óêðàèíå óãîëü ïî òåêóùèì öåíàì

The EU may have another round of sanctions against Russia.

Íîâîñòè NEWSru.com :: Â ÅÑ óæå ãîòîâû íîâûå ñàíêöèè â îòíîøåíèè Ðîññèè, íî êîãäà èõ ââåäóò, íåèçâåñòíî

Ukraine is rebuilding their 2S7 Pion heavy artillery pieces.

bmpd -
Украина приÑтупила к воÑÑтановлению 203- мм СÐУ "Пион"

Ukrainian volunteer btlns are going into the structure of the Ukrainian Army. What this will mean in practice remains to be seen.

Íîâîñòè NEWSru.com :: Äîáðîâîëü÷åñêèå áàòàëüîíû, ó÷àñòâóþùèå â ÀÒÎ íà âîñòîêå Óêðàèíû, ïåðåéäóò â ïîä÷èíåíèå àðìèè

OSCE observers report seeing unidentified military vehicles in Donetsk twice over the weekend.

Íîâîñòè NEWSru.com :: Íàáëþäàòåëè ÎÁÑÅ äâàæäû çà âûõîäíûå âèäåëè âîåííóþ òåõíèêó áåç îïîçíàâàòåëüíûõ çíàêîâ â Äîíåöêå

Current head of the SBU accuses previous SBU and MVD leadership of creating the political crisis in Ukraine. This is shortly after the arrest of the former head of SBU counter-intelligence.

Íîâîñòè NEWSru.com :: Ãëàâà ÑÁÓ îáâèíèë áûâøåå ðóêîâîäñòâî ñèëîâèêîâ â ïîäãîòîâêå êðèçèñà íà Óêðàèíå è çàâîçå ãåíåðàëîâ ÔÑÁ
Íîâîñòè NEWSru.com :: Ãëàâà ÑÁÓ ñîîáùèë î çàäåðæàíèè ýêñ-ãëàâû óêðàèíñêîé êîíòððàçâåäêè

Ukraine is building a triple layered defense line around the breakaway regions. Honestly not good use of money or resources, but in the current atmosphere it's unsurprising.

Ð”ÐµÐ½Ð¸Ñ ÐœÐ¾ÐºÑ€ÑƒÑˆÐ¸Ð½ - Три лиии обороны ВСУ
Ð”ÐµÐ½Ð¸Ñ ÐœÐ¾ÐºÑ€ÑƒÑˆÐ¸Ð½ - И Ñнова про линии обороны

Russia says they do not recognize elections in the breakaway republics of Ukraine.

Íîâîñòè NEWSru.com :: Âëàñòè Ðîññèè îòêàçàëèñü ïðèçíàòü âûáîðû â ËÍÐ è ÄÍÐ, íî îòíåñëèñü ê íèì ñ óâàæåíèåì

Russia is handing over 24 Tigr armored cars to the OSCE for use in the conflict zone.

http://www.military-informant.com/n...-obse-v-ukraine-24-broneavtomobilya-tigr.html

Muukalainen

It would appear that the Ukrainian crisis is going to be a chronic problem. What I am wondering is if this is what Putin wanted? And if so, what advantage or advantages would he gain from a broken state at his doorstep?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Interesting research paper by NATO on Russia's 'hybrid' warfare, based heavily on recent Ukrainian events. http://ftalphaville.ft.com/files/2014/11/rp_105.pdf
Extremely general and not very well informed. In some cases it was obvious the author did not know the details of the situation. For example he seems to think that the volunteer btlns are all National Guard, and mainly volunteer staffed which is not the case. Most of them are Territorial Defense Btlns of the MoD and most are conscript staffed. There are also the special btlns and companies of the MVD. Finally there is the National Guard, which is quite small (iirc 3 btlns) and Troops of the Interior (which seem to have also been renamed to the National Guard but in reality are quite different formations). The author doesn't seem aware of this.

I'm also surprised with the author thinking that Russia couldn't occupy two Ukrainian provinces. Given the atrocious state of the Ukrainian military, it would have been quite easy, if expensive.

He also seems to ignore that in addition to a propaganda dimension, Russian accusations of Ukraine have also a very real dimension. There are indeed Neo-Nazi's on the rise, and the EU and US willingness to deal with Svoboda in particular in many ways lends credibility to Russia's position. The fact that the EU signed their association agreement (a huge and quite controversial foreign policy move) with a government (Yatsenyuk and Co.) that was unelected and unelectable but came to power through violence and was inherently temporary, looks very bad. The internal power struggle, and the arming of Right Sector looks worse. The reality is that while the oligarchs are back in power with Poroshenko they continue to lean, dangerously, on ultra-nationalists for their internal support against Russia. This is not propaganda, this is reality.

It's also interesting that he notes continuing coal production despite the fighting. Yet we know that Ukraine has had to resort to importing South African coal. So clearly the loss of coal production is significant, even if it's not catastrophic. And of course we know Ukraine has attacked strategic enterprises directly, like hitting the Donetsk chemical works with a Tochka missile. Granted that's a military factory, and it's destruction has military goals, but again this means there is a real dimension to the claims of Russian propaganda. There was also the destroyed power plant, the firing on city water works employees near Slavyansk when they tried to repair a destroyed pipeline bringing clean water into the city, etc. There probably (probably) isn't a specific policy of targeting economic infrastructure, but the manner in which Ukraine is fighting this war results in it's destruction none the less.

I'm also surprised with the author thinking that Russia couldn't occupy two Ukrainian provinces. Given the atrocious state of the Ukrainian military, it would have been quite easy, if expensive.
Do you disagree with the provided estimate from the author of 80k troops for occupation of the breakaway regions (excl Crimea)?

Economically, with forecasts I'm seeing, especially end of Q1 & Q2 (2015) regarding the Russian economy, I would go further than just 'expensive'..

Some recent precursive moves by the Central Bank, seem to be taking a worsening situation into account I.e. semi-floatation action of the ruble, by withdrawing the prop. and the continuing oil price below $80 p/b (which at this point could continue for the short-medium term), have highlighted to some respected economists, just how much funding the breakaway regions could cost in real terms and the last thing the RF economy needs now, is to prop-up these regions of 4-5 million people along with a worsening infrastructure picture - just the basics.

I understand that a recent move by the Kiev Govt, whereby access to the Ukrainian banking system was cut-off unexpectedly to the regions and has particularly 'irked' many senior officials in Russia?

It would seem to me, the Kiev govt are wiping their hands of the seperatist areas, not just cutting/ destroying the infrastructure..

Agree, the author has missed some points worth consideration.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do you disagree with the provided estimate from the author of 80k troops for occupation of the breakaway regions (excl Crimea)?
Good question. I really don't know. We'd have to take a map out, calculate how many ECP/VCP we'd need to set up, and where, how many QRF units, what kind of support assets it would take, etc. It would be quite a bit of work. Soviet invasion of Afghanistan involved iirc ~40 000 troops, for a bigger and more complex area. Their eventual presence, during the peak of the fighting was iirc 110 000. So for those two very small province, with fairly simple and open terrain, they could probably do with less then 80 000. It would depend on the attitudes and activities of the locals, and would depend on what point they moved in on those provinces at. In March-April, they could've probably taken all of Eastern Ukraine with minimal fighting, and the locals mostly passive, if not supportive. In July-August, the situation was quite different. Fighting would be heavy, the population far less accommodating, and the collateral damage significant. All of this would factor in.

Anyways, they were able to pull 100 000 troops in just East MD on a surprise combat readiness check. I don't think there is anything impossible about maintaining a grouping of 80 000 in conveniently close-by Ukraine. All the supplies could be brought in by truck and rail, the length of the border is quite large, and the rail and road infrastructure is appropriate.

Economically, with forecasts I'm seeing, especially end of Q1 & Q2 (2015) regarding the Russian economy, I would go further than just 'expensive'..

Some recent precursive moves by the Central Bank, seem to be taking a worsening situation into account I.e. semi-floatation action of the ruble, by withdrawing the prop. and the continuing oil price below $80 p/b (which at this point could continue for the short-medium term), have highlighted to some respected economists, just how much funding the breakaway regions could cost in real terms and the last thing the RF economy needs now, is to prop-up these regions of 4-5 million people along with a worsening infrastructure picture - just the basics.
You're conflating the cost of the occupation and the cost of annexation.

I understand that a recent move by the Kiev Govt, whereby access to the Ukrainian banking system was cut-off unexpectedly to the regions and has particularly 'irked' many senior officials in Russia?
Not sure, to be honest, I've missed that. Do you have info I could read up?

It would seem to me, the Kiev govt are wiping their hands of the seperatist areas, not just cutting/ destroying the infrastructure..

Agree, the author has missed some points worth consideration.
Well to be honest, Ukraine can't afford to properly govern or maintain infrastructure in regions that aren't trying to secede. Wiping their hands of, and destroying a few things here and there, regions that are basically seceding is to be expected. And lets face it, the rebels certainly didn't help with their attack on railways and bridges all across eastern Ukraine. While we can solidly blame Ukraine for destroying power lines, powerplants, water lines, etc. the rebels contributed heavily to the destruction of the transportation infrastructure in an attempt to slow the governments troops advance, and disrupt their logistics. Bezlers raid on an oil refinery, and government shellings lighting the Lisichansk refinery on fire, all come together for an unpleasant end result.

Good question. I really don't know. We'd have to take a map out, calculate how many ECP/VCP we'd need to set up, and where, how many QRF units, what kind of support assets it would take, etc. It would be quite a bit of work. Soviet invasion of Afghanistan involved iirc ~40 000 troops, for a bigger and more complex area. Their eventual presence, during the peak of the fighting was iirc 110 000. So for those two very small province, with fairly simple and open terrain, they could probably do with less then 80 000. It would depend on the attitudes and activities of the locals, and would depend on what point they moved in on those provinces at. In March-April, they could've probably taken all of Eastern Ukraine with minimal fighting, and the locals mostly passive, if not supportive. In July-August, the situation was quite different. Fighting would be heavy, the population far less accommodating, and the collateral damage significant. All of this would factor in.

Anyways, they were able to pull 100 000 troops in just East MD on a surprise combat readiness check. I don't think there is anything impossible about maintaining a grouping of 80 000 in conveniently close-by Ukraine. All the supplies could be brought in by truck and rail, the length of the border is quite large, and the rail and road infrastructure is appropriate.
Thank you for the analysis. I agree that RF would have the capability and capacity to achieve occupation.

You're conflating the cost of the occupation and the cost of annexation.
Occupation and not annexation would still be a high cost. Agree not the same, but as mentioned, we are talking basics; infrastructure rebuild, water, power and general construction (residential and commercial). Who will provide this, if not the RF? Ukraine won't be as indicated recently..
Both these two breakaway regions and the recent annexation of the Crimea, will sap lower single-digit GDP directly from RF economy for the foreseeable, this and also coupled with current oil and fx problems causing compounding problems. Crimea is strategic and worth the cost. The bottom line cost will mean substantial amounts coming through the RF sources. Anyway, time will tell and was just pointing out that, this will be more than 'expensive'. I personally think economically, its 'significant' considering.

Not sure, to be honest, I've missed that. Do you have info I could read up?
Many places sourced - Ukraine to Cut Off Rebel-Held East From State Banks and Services | News | The Moscow Times

Putin couldn't beleive the audacity of the Kiev govt in light of corporate gas loans recently made and seemed genuinely caught out by this move.

Please don't think I am implying that Ukraine will be in a better position, both countries will lose heavily from this and I'm not referring to events to date.

KiwiRob

I doubt Russia would want to annex these two provinces, what would they bring to the table, they will in all likelihood end up like Transnistria.

Musashi_kenshin

I doubt Russia would want to annex these two provinces, what would they bring to the table, they will in all likelihood end up like Transnistria.
Does Putin care? I can see him doing it just to thumb his nose at Europe and NATO. Plus it would boost his ratings even more.

He couldn't care less what the real-life consequences for the people in eastern Ukraine were.

New truce to be in place by 5th Dec (Friday), with the withdrawal of Hvy weaps the following day. The rebel separatists not gaining Donetsk airport has to be irritating.. That may still change I guess, with full details still unclear relating to the Donetsk region.

BBC News - Ukraine crisis: New ceasefire agreed for Luhansk region

Let's hope this holds and not just a winter holding pattern..

Note it mentions the Cossacks units as the potential 'weak' link...

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Winter time rebel column in Donetsk. Meanwhile there are reports that the rebels have a shortages of armor.

Вахтенный журнал Ñтареющего пирата - ДонбаÑÑ, декабрь 2014-го...
Силы Ð¾Ð¿Ð¾Ð»Ñ‡ÐµÐ½Ð¸Ñ Ð¸Ñпытывают нехватку иÑправной бронетехники

Also the rebels are preparing a T-64BM Bulat to use against the government forces.

Ополченцы готовÑÑ‚ к бою трофейные украинÑкие танки "Булат"

Su-24 repairs and overhauls are continuing for the Ukrainian military. Also a new SpN btln is being formed in Ukraine, the 129th. It's being formed out of volunteer btln members. The Kozak armored car is continuing tests with serial production not far off, assuming they can get the necessary production facilities.

Of course improvised upgrades are continuing, but at a slightly higher level, like the installation of HMGs on an MT-LB, and the up-armored Nissan pickup.

An An-30 photo-recon plane has been returned to service.

bmpd -
ИноÑтранные ÑпециалиÑÑ‚Ñ‹ под Мариуполем Ñоздают боевую Ñлитную чаÑÑ‚ÑŒ Ñпецназовцев
bmpd -
Ð”ÐµÐ½Ð¸Ñ ÐœÐ¾ÐºÑ€ÑƒÑˆÐ¸Ð½ - Модернизированный МТ-ЛБ. ПодробноÑти
Ð”ÐµÐ½Ð¸Ñ ÐœÐ¾ÐºÑ€ÑƒÑˆÐ¸Ð½ - Трубка 15, прицел 120...
green_stone13 -

Fighting around the Donetsk airport has resumed, but without definite results. Artillery exchanges also continued around Mairupol'. It appears the Ukrainian forces were successful in destroying a rebel howitzer, and some mortars.

A Russian Granat-4 UAV was shot down over Ukraine, though it's mislabeled as an Orlan. Also the rebels have destroyed a Ukrainian checkpoint near Gorlovka. A government column was ambushed near Mariupol'.

УкраинÑкие военные уничтожили Ñ€Ñд огневых точек Ð¾Ð¿Ð¾Ð»Ñ‡ÐµÐ½Ð¸Ñ Ð²Ð±Ð»Ð¸Ð·Ð¸ МариуполÑ
Ð’ районе аÑропорта в Донецке началÑÑ Ð±Ð¾Ð¹
Ð”ÐµÐ½Ð¸Ñ ÐœÐ¾ÐºÑ€ÑƒÑˆÐ¸Ð½ - Сбитый БПЛÐ
Силам Ð¾Ð¿Ð¾Ð»Ñ‡ÐµÐ½Ð¸Ñ ÑƒÐ´Ð°Ð»Ð¾ÑÑŒ уничтожить украинÑкий блокпоÑÑ‚ вблизи Горловки
Ð’ Мариуполе Ñовершенно нападение на украинÑкую военную колону

Ukrainian fighters from the Btln Azov. A very stupid photo, if you ask me. Posing with a swastika and a NATO b

Блокнот военного милитариÑта - Полк СС ASS OFF

Ukraine is nationalizing a Russian oil pipeline that belongs to Transneft. At the same time armed mercenaries allegedly hired by Kolomoyskiy (a Ukrainian oligarch) seized an oil-processing refinery in Odessa.

Íîâîñòè NEWSru.com :: Ñóä íà Óêðàèíå ïîñòàíîâèë íàöèîíàëèçèðîâàòü òðóáó "Òðàíñíåôòè", â Ðîññèè âîçìóùåíû
Блог ÐлекÑандра Шакуна - ОдеÑÑа. Штурм ÐПЗ

Norway has frozen political contacts with Russia.

Íîâîñòè NEWSru.com :: Íîðâåãèÿ çàìîðîçèëà ïîëèòè÷åñêèå êîíòàêòû ñ Ðîññèåé, îòçûâàåò âîåííûõ ýêñïåðòîâ

Some great photos of Tu-141 UAVs used by Ukraine in this war. These Soviet-era antiques apparently saw quite a bit of action.

bmpd -

swerve

Super Moderator
Does Putin care? I can see him doing it just to thumb his nose at Europe and NATO. Plus it would boost his ratings even more.

He couldn't care less what the real-life consequences for the people in eastern Ukraine were.
Yeah, but they'd cost a lot to maintain, & the days of 'throw money at the problem' are coming to an end in Russia. The economy is in trouble, & the worst-hit sector is the one that pays most taxes.

alexkvaskov

Wasn't sure where to post this.

Supposedly, some EW gear known as the Murmansk-BN has been deployed in Crimea.

bmpd -

Does anyone have any details as to what the heck this thing is?

LogisticsGuy

Russian military on alert in Moscow, Grozny

Russian military on alert in Moscow, Grozny amid new crisis

RUSSIAN authorities say gunmen travelling in several cars killed at least three traffic police officers at a checkpoint in the capital of the restive North Caucasus republic of Chechnya.

Meanwhile, there are unconfirmed reports Moscow has closed its airspace to all civilian traffic.
Reports on Twitter state there are fighter jets overhead as military helicopters cris-cross the city.
Russian media state President Vladmir Putin rushed to the Kremlin at 1.15am local time in response to reports of the outbreak of violence.

Russian military on alert in Moscow, Grozny amid new crisis

Did not know where else to paste this. Moderators, does this warrant a new thread? It may blow over soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.