Welcome to DefenceTalk.com Forum!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to convince me not to go infantry

Discussion in 'Army & Security Forces' started by GeoffR, May 2, 2018.

Share This Page

1. GeoffR

GeoffR New Member

My family member and many recruiters are trying tell me not to go infantry, here’s their reason.
    1. Infantry guys are dumb (they think I’m too smart)
    And
    2. Infantry prepares you for no civilian job
    Those are the main two, they are very frustrating. Any comments on this issue?

2. barney41

barney41 Member

I'll have to assume that you considered the other services as well but something about the infantry must appeal to you. Go with your gut and good luck.

3. GeoffR

GeoffR New Member

I did, and to be honest nothing else sounds appealing. Like I can’t even really say why I want to go infantry, it’s just really what I want to do.

4. ngatimozart

ngatimozart Super Moderator Staff Member Verified Defense Pro

Well if that's the case go for it and good luck.

5. tonnyc

tonnyc Member

Then go for it. About the only thing I can add is that if you are smart then take advantage of any scholarship program offered and see if you can parlay that into a more technical MOS or heck, try for a commission.

6. Hone C

Hone C Member

1. Not true. There are a range of intellects present, just like any other job. Two of the section commanders in my current platoon have degrees for example. Alternatively you could commission and go infantry as an officer.
    2. It's true that there are less infantry skills that are transferable to civilian jobs than in other trades. But do you want a military career or a civilian one? The infantry is unique, the heart and soul of the Army ( but I have to say that of course).

Good luck.

7. old faithful

old faithful Defense Professional Verified Defense Pro

What country are you in?
    In Australia, we only have about 4000 infantry, so recruiting can choose who they want, its very competitive to get in.
    I never had any trouble finding work after army, and I was infantry.
    Employers like well disciplined workers whonwill go that bit further, follow instructions and procedures.

8. GeoffR

GeoffR New Member

Usa

9. Ranger25

Ranger25 Member

Geoff, assuming your from KS and then you’re looking at the US Army.

11B

In my experience the 11 series are not “dumb”. Now the standard bell curve applies but in my commands we had all make ups. GED to BA and MS everyone had a place.

Remember this is an all volunteer\Professional force and you may join a group who generally choose to be there

That said, in other sectors of life Leadership is a sought after quality.

The 11 series will teach you that.

Good luck

Sua Sponte.

GeoffR likes this.
  10. StobieWan

StobieWan Super Moderator Staff Member

Never served and I'm British so take both those points in mind when I comment..

1- Infantry will be what you make of it - there are some scarily smart people in all trades - and if comments from anyone I know with UK military experience are anything to go by, you will have opportunities for distance learning during deployments. You could pick up a bunch of certifications and credits - and infantry (as with any physically demanding role) has a shelf life - depending on where and how you serve, by the age of forty, you may have knee caps that would look better on a sixty year old, some permanent back or neck pain. I'm not trying to put you off, I'm just saying..humping a pack and a rifle works better in your twenties and it's best to be realistic and plan for what happens later in your life. So, save some money, get some quals.

2 - Not true - the military (quite correctly) takes a fairly different view about even junior leadership and if as an employer I were looking at a CV with any evidence of progression in rank my ears would be pricking up right away. In civilian life, team leader jobs get handed out to whoever is standing around and the results are often ugly. I like working with ex forces people because (as I put in indelicately to a colleague) they've had a decade of being told to wind their neck in and get on with it. They're usually solid performers with tolerable social skills, self motivated and are often solidly reliable team members.

Against that? Pick a trade and you could be making a lot more money both in and out of the forces, plus your knees and back might hurt a bit less in the mornings when you're forty.Not always true - friend of mine got tapped as a clerk in the Royal Marines, developed an interest in IT and is a contractor on about twice what I earn with a degree so..

Up to you, but best of luck

GeoffR likes this.
  11. GeoffR

GeoffR New Member

Thanks for the reply, I’m in Missouri by the way.

12. GeoffR

GeoffR New Member

Thanks for the reply mate

13. Ranger25

Ranger25 Member

Good luck,

14. J_Can

J_Can Member

The only thing I can say from my own personal experience in the infantry is be physical ready for it. I am Canadian so I cannot speak for what the american experience would be, but a lot of the time it is physical back breaking work. When I did the more intense training (for me a least) I was young and in great shape. Even still I could feel my body just crumbling at times, and I was only part-time mind you.

With all that said I loved my time in the infantry. I finally felt like I truly belonged to something through my regiment, and I have developed relationships that are stronger then what most people would have with close family. More than anything I learned a sense of self-reliance and personal responsibility that I do not think you can learn anywhere but in tight knit formations like the infantry.

To your questions particularly:
    1. Infantry guys are dumb (they think I’m too smart): Not true at all, a least in my regiment I found a massive chunk had a post-secondary degree. Attending post-secondary was the norm, as opposed to the unusual for a ncm. Me personal I went to university got a four year degree in foreign policy, and I am currently finishing up my commercial pilot licence. Ever job is what you make of it I guess is what I am trying to get at.

2. Infantry prepares you for no civilian job: I would also say not true, sure you do not finish out in the infantry with a technical degree or certification, but as I eluded to above the infantry teaches certain intangible life skills like no other job. As well as to what other members said there is plenty of mobility within the military if you were willing to take on the opportunities when given.

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  15. GeoffR

GeoffR New Member

Thanks so much for the reply.

16. Jc71corvette25

Jc71corvette25 New Member

Go infantry. I am. It's a Damm good brotherhood. Yes realistically your skills of assaulting a enemy bunker etc will not transfer into civvy sector. But look at it this way. Everyone supports the grunts. When I think of military I think of humping a ruck thru the woods and also kicking down doors in UO. When I think military I don't think sitting behind a desk or fixing shit. (Lol motor pool days)

old faithful likes this.