The Spanish Navy - Armada Española

Gladius

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well... we have news from the spanish overheated land...

Firstly a little bit of info about the four ordered BAMs (Maritime Action Ships) already being built by Navantia in the Shipyard of San Fernando (Cádiz) for the Spanish Navy. The Order of the Spanish Defence Ministry with their future names and numerals was finally published the 6th of June in the Spanish Defence Bulletin.

The first four BAMs (of the fourteen planned) will be named:

· P-41 "Meteoro".
· P-42 "Rayo".
· P-43 "Relámpago".
· P-44 "Tornado".

And now going with more recent news...

Yesterday the new AOR of the Spanish Navy (A-15 Cantabria) was christened and floated by Navantia in the shipyard of Puerto Real (Cádiz)

La Voz Digital - Spanish online newspaper said:
The 'Cantabria' receives its baptism in the waters of the Bay.
New Combat Replenishment Ship.

The 'Cantabria', one of the jewels of the crown of the Spanish Armada, has been received this morning its maritime baptism. The ceremony of launching has taken place in the shipyard of Real Port with the presence of numerous personalities as the the counselor of Employment of the Regional Government of Andalusia, Antonio Fernández; the delegate of the Spanish Government in Andalusia, Juan José López; the president of Cantabria, Miguel Angel Revilla, that was present accompanied by its wife Aurora Díaz; the new General Admiral of the Fleet, Sebastián Zaragoza [N/T: Former Commander in Chief of the Spanish Navy] and the president of Navantia, Juan Pedro Jaén, among others.

In the act, has participated the president of Cantabria, Miguel Angel Revilla, who has said that felt "very touched" and has indicated that "already was hour that a ship of the Armada carried the name of our autonomous region". Revilla has been shown proud of the ship.

After the religious blessing of the ship, the cut of tape and the traditional launch of the bottle against the hull, the national anthem has been interpreted and the sirens have sounded to celebrate the launching. "That the glorious name of Cantabria serve of driving force so the ship have a long and successful career". With these emotional words, Aurora Díaz has signed in the book of Gold of Navantia and has placed the final touch to the ceremony.

The 'Cantabria' has been designed completely by Navantia and is a ship capable to supply liquid fuels, water and solids to a naval group or group of battle. The BAC has capacity to be used in peacekeeping operations and aid to disaster areas and of evacuation of civilians.
Source. (In Spanish)

Below are four photos of the event published by El Diario Montañes (Photographer: A. Vázquez) and a pair of aerial pics of the A-15 taken last Friday by Pacodime (FotosdeBarcos.com) more here and here.

Specs. of the A-15 Cantabria (Official Spanish Navy Website)

Templario

Spanish Navy

Pictures will be posted at this thread: http://www.defencetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=170949#post170949

Spanish Navy

Firstly a Brief Recopilation, later the main photos ;)
I'll post just "the main battle ships", I won't focus on minor ships like Patrol ships or similar.

1 Aircraft Carrier (In fact they're 2 carriers, if we consider the "Juán Carlos I" as a carrier)

"Príncipe de Asturias" (R-11)

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/2213/buques0.jpg

1 LHD

"Juán Carlos I" (L-61)

6 F-100 Frigates (AAW Fight)

"Álvaro de Bazán" (F-101)
"Almirante Juan de Borbón" (F-102)
"Blas de Lezo" (F-103)
"Méndez Núñez" (F-104)
"Roger de Lauria" (F-105) (under construction)
"Juán de Austria" (F-106) (it's waiting to be aproved in the parliament)

6 F-80 Frigates (ASW Fight)

"Santa María" (F-81)
"Victoria" (F-82)
"Numancia" (F-83)
"Reina Sofía" (F-84)
"Navarra" (F-85)
"Canarias" (F-86)

2 LPD

"Galicia" (L-51)
"Castilla" (L-52)

2 LST

"Hernán Cortés" (L-41)
"Pizarro" (L-42)

4 main Patrol Ships

"Meteoro" (P-41)
"Rayo" (P-42)
"Relámpago" (P-43)
"Tornado" (P-44)

All them under construction, but the Spanish Navy wants 12 of these ships, so they will probably be aproved.

Displacement: 2.500 t

4 S-70 Submarines

"Galerna" (S-71)
"Siroco" (S-72)
"Mistral" (S-73)
"Tramontana" (S-74)

4 + 2 Optional S-80 Submarines (They will be able to launch Tomahawk missiles)

All of them under construction

The rest of ships are patrol, petroleum and logistic ships, I may post them later.

Last edited:

StevoJH

The Bunker Group
Will two of the F80's be removed from service when the last two F100's are commissioned? Will the 4 S70 submarines be decommissioned as the S 80's enter service?

LCI is not an Aircraft carrier, at best you could call it an Auxiliary carrier.

Templario

Will two of the F80's be removed from service when the last two F100's are commissioned? Will the 4 S70 submarines be decommissioned as the S 80's enter service?

LCI is not an Aircraft carrier, at best you could call it an Auxiliary carrier.
No, the F-80's won't be decommissioned by F-100's.
F-80 are for ASW fight, so they will be decommissioned by another ASW ship, people say it will be called F-110, a new Navantia's design.
By the way, the F-80's are totally upgraded ships.

Yes, the 4 S-70's will be decommisioned when the S-80's come

Cheers

Sea Toby

I believe the new F-100 frigates are replacing the older Belares class frigates similar to the US Navy's Knox class, although the Spanish ships have a Standard missile launcher similar to the OH Perry's.

Last edited:

AegisFC

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Merged the 2 threads.

Also, as a general note to everyone, duplicate threads in multiple forums isn't allowed.

Testing and demonstration of liferaft deployment from JCI, thanks again to fotosdebarcos and the great Señalero. Two pages of new pictures.
fotosdebarcos.com :: Ver tema - L 61 Juan Carlos I

The pictorial work of the guys at fotosdebarcos is giving us an unprecedented access to the progress being made onboard JCI.

It is my understanding that there is a permanent presence of RAN and Tenix engineers based now at the shipyard in Ferrol, and I am sure as the excellent professionals that they probably are, are taking good note of the building process and quality on site, just as they did with the AWD´s.
I did not want to say anything on the Royal Australian Navy thread ………………but please….. The f100´s have been in service all over the world for a few years now, their building quality and design has been checked by the RAN on the vessels!, and it was checked before placing the order. JCI is being built now and the RAN has a privileged and free access to the site.
What can I say, as a proud Spaniard , I do not think it is my place to enter debate on some of the issues discussed on the RAN pages, I just hope at the end of all of this, you are at least as satisfied with your ships as the Spanish Armada is with theirs and and that you can get from them at least as many miles and years of excellent service as we have done with ours.

F-70´s, F80´s,F100´s, PDA, AOR´s, Galicia Class,LCM 1E,oilers etc etc etc are moving ,working testimony of Navantia´s achievements, build quality and reliability.
Navantia´s designs and builds turn into good ships because we have no choice, we cannot afford fiasco´s like the San Antonio.
We could have built and equipped 4 JCI´s with the money spent on one San Antonio, and they would have been sailing now.

As it stands, the budget ,needs and real possibilities of the RAN, are a little closer to the Spanish Armada than they are to the USN, and I am sure that detail has had something to do with the order. That´s why Navantia´s Tenix offer was chosen, it hits the spot.

And…..no, I do not think that the Navantia AWD will be as good as the G&C design. Why? Because a real ship cannot compete with a paper one and because, what it is, is never as good as what it could have been, such is human nature.

I am also sure that, the fact that many of the units are going to be completed in Australia is a comfort factor for many and I sincerely hope that when finished, these ships will make you proud and more important, they perform their duties. However it is not an easy task to mass the workforce and know how necessary to do the job and on that endeavor I wish my Australian friends the best of lucks.

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
But on talking about upgrading the F-105, I see Spain is going to upgrade their Alvaro De Bazan frigates with NSM.

No news if they are going to perform an Aegis update on them, AFAIK F-105 is on baseline 7.1 but the other ships are on an even earlier baseline.

While I don't think Spain was very interested in SM-3. SM-6 and ESSM II would be valuable additions, as would NSM. Perhaps this Aegis update will happen given that Australia is upgrading its Hobarts to something a lot newer and more capable than 7.1? The US bases no less than 5 destroyers out of Spain, so being able to fire the same munitions would make sense.

Also Spain is building the F-110 which will also have Aegis, so it makes sense to bring the baseline of both classes up to the same level and to be compatible with the new munitions developed since the late 1990's.

Antipode

But on talking about upgrading the F-105, I see Spain is going to upgrade their Alvaro De Bazan frigates with NSM.

No news if they are going to perform an Aegis update on them, AFAIK F-105 is on baseline 7.1 but the other ships are on an even earlier baseline.

While I don't think Spain was very interested in SM-3. SM-6 and ESSM II would be valuable additions, as would NSM. Perhaps this Aegis update will happen given that Australia is upgrading its Hobarts to something a lot newer and more capable than 7.1? The US bases no less than 5 destroyers out of Spain, so being able to fire the same munitions would make sense.

Also Spain is building the F-110 which will also have Aegis, so it makes sense to bring the baseline of both classes up to the same level and to be compatible with the new munitions developed since the late 1990's.
I meant if those very hypothetical new Hobbarts could be redesigned to safely pad/land a Chinook, rather than support or deploy it. Thank you for your answers!

On the subject of NSM acquisition, Kongsberg allegedly actualised its client countries list with the Spanish flag on their website before the official announcement by Spain!

Spanish frigates to be armed with stealth NSM by Kongsberg (Bulgarian source on that for it is in english, and at hand)

I believe the first Hapoon launch against a land objective by a Spanish Armada’s warship did indeed follow the announcement shortly after, but for my life that I can’t find the source.

It’s been widely speculated that the NSM submarine launched version will be selected for the Isaac Peral class since an agreement for Tomahawk hasn’t materialised after so long considering it for the frigates as well.

Antipode

Speaking of wich, the S-81 Isaac Peral will suffer an upgrade of part of its sonar suite by Lockheed Martin during September, before more seawater trials and first immersion in October.

Navantia y Lockheed Martin mejoran los sonares del submarino S-81 (website has a translation tool)

On the F-100 and F105 MLU, Spain signed a contract with Navantia for a study on the case last year. Nothing specific has been made public to my knowledge. Another contract has been recently signed with Norway for technical support on their MLUs.

Here is a link to an interview with the head of the Armada, Almirante General Antonio Martorell Lacave, on that and other ongoing programs. He does mention the adaptation of the F-100 to the “armament that the F110 will use”.

Maybe the unsolicited proposal is not only an agressive marketing stunt, but a declaration of coyuntural high capacity due to F100/5 MLU and F110 program, plus the Al Jubail corvettes ongoing one.

(Edited for typo error)

Last edited:

Sandhi Yudha

|"The C295 MPA will conduct the missions performed by the P-3 Orion fleet, which were retired at the end of 2022. It will be equipped to carry out anti-submarine, anti-surface warfare and intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance missions.

The C295 MSA is the natural replacement for the CN-235 VIGMA aircraft fleet, which have been in service with the Spanish Air and Space Force since 2008. It will be primarily equipped for maritime and overland operations such as anti-smuggling, anti-illegal immigration and anti-drug trafficking operations, as well as national and international search-and-rescue missions."|

So the 16 new C295s will be devided between the airforce and the navy.

Last edited: