The Russian-Ukrainian War Thread

InterestedParty

I seem to recall a British squaddie just prior to the 1st Desert Storm operation, saying that he knew nothing was happening soon because the BBC's Kate Adie had not arrived to cover it.
If she is still working then I would check if she has any plane tickets booked, that would be a big clue

I got my shekels on it being a semi psyop. Maybe to get Russia to reinforce all across the front, presenting more targets for Ukraine's deep strike, then do the same thing they did in Kharkiv.
Additional shekels on western AFVs being mostly absent from the offensive's first few phases.

T.C.P

The last couple of days have seen significant Russian airstrikes on Ukraine, the number of missiles and the barrages have been coming very thick. While the Ukr officials cite extremely high interception rates, the reality is probably not as optimistic. Here is a tweet from a Kyiev Independent reporter-

Also yesterday Russia struck an airfield with aircraft losses-

The OSINT reports from that are very varied, some says only old An-2s were stored there, but pro russians claim that it is the airbase of the 7th tactical aviation brigade, who fly the storm shadow Su-24Ms.

Even if Russia only hit out of use older Su24s, its still a loss, as these could have been cannibalized for parts.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Update. Apr. 18th-19th

Kherson-Nikolaev-Odessa.

Russian Shahed strikes hitting Odessa. One of the targets was a local sanatorium possibly used as a staging area.

Ukraine hit Novaya Kahovka. Reportedly 1 civilian dead, 1 wounded.

Shahed fragments in Snigirevka, Nikolaev region

Putin visited Kherson region. Note this is technically true but the location is right next to Crimea and about as far as you can be from the front line while still being in Kherson region.

Ukrainian mobilization efforts. Odessa.

Zaporozhye-Dnepropetrovsk.

Reportedly a Ukrainian strike hit Vasil'evka, a small town under Russian control in Zaporozhye region.

Oskol Front.

Reportedly Ukrainian munition storage hit near Kupyansk.

LDNR Front.

Artemovsk/Bakhmut, a Ukrainian BREM-1 trying to pull out a knocked out and abandoned Russian T-80BVM gets hit.

Assorted footage of the Wagner assault on the clothing factory, Artemovsk/Bakhmut.

Wagner forces operating a T-90M mod'23 in Artemovsk/Bakhmut up close.

A destroyed Ukrainian Dingo near Artemovsk/Bakhmut. I think we've seen this vehicle before.

A destroyed armored Humvee somewhere near Artemovsk/Bakhmut.

Aerial footage of the destruction of western Artemovsk/Bakhmut.

The road into Artemovsk/Bakhmut, again destroyed vehicles litter the road.

A Ukrainian T-72B3 mod'16 getting hit in Ivanovskoe/Krasnoe west of Artemovsk/Bakhmut.

Ukrainian 109th TerDefBde directs an Excalibur strike allegedly against a Russian Buk. Somewhere near Donetsk.

Russian Ka-52 Vikhr strike Ugledar allegedly taking out a Ukrainian tank. Results are hard to make out but he clearly hits something and it explodes. Allegedly this is part of a failed Ukrainian counter-attack there. We've had reports of a Ukrainian attack there, unclear if just a recon by force or a real effort.

Allegedly a Ukrainian Su-25 downed near Ugledar by 155th MarBde air defenses. I suspect confirmation might take a while given the location.

Russia strike collapsed a building in Ugledar.

Ukrainian forces operating a ex-Finnish XA-180 somewhere in Donetsk region.

Reportedly Chechen Akhmat fighters have created a quadcopter operator training center in Lugansk region. Note given the experience LDNR forces have with improvised UAV usage and the ineptitude of the formation in question, I find this extremely fishy. My best guess is the school was created by LNR forces and Akhmat is busy with PR nonsense.

Misc.

Russian T-90M ATGM launch and HE-FRAG rounds allegedly against Ukrainian electronic OPs on either the same tower or two similar ones.

Ukrainian M109 getting hit allegedly by a Krasnopol' strike. Location unclear but it's likely counter-battery fire.

Ukraine's 58th Mech Bde got hit by a Lancet strike. It's unclear if anything got hit or if the strike failed.

Russian recon soldier steps on a PMN-4 landmine but doesn't lose his foot due to excellent footwear.

Ukraine's 47th Bde riding Bradleys and T-55s.

A look at Ukraine making the superstructure of the T-62 ARV.

Some more shots of Ukraine's Rapira/MT-LB hybrid.

A Ukrainian BMP-1 decoy allegedy set up by Marines. Probably near Odessa or Nikolaev.

Ukrainian vehicles have been spotted with new tactical markings in the form of an arrow.

More footage of Ukraine's lone Blackhawk.

A rare Russian Buk-M3 in Ukraine. Note the incomplete combat load.

A Russian T-72B3 mod'16 with a double roof cage.

A Russian up-armored UAZ light truck donated for use in the war.

Russian ATV-based machinegune team with a PKM and AGS-17. Before we've seen VDV using these as ATGM platforms and AGS-17 platforms.

NATO/EU.

Romanian TAV-71M BTRs in Ukraine. It's basically a Romanian BTR-60 upgrade. Due to rocky relations with the USSR, Romania was stuck with 60's kit through the Cold War and consequently has some curious domestic upgrades of T-55s, BMP-1s, and BTR-60s.

Ukraine has apparently received Turkish Rocketsan TRLG-230 MLRS. They're reportedly being operated by the 49th Arty Bde.

Reportedly Ukraine has received a second IRIS-T from Germany.

Finland has begun constructing a wall on the Russian border.

Ukraine has reportedly received Giraffe 40 PS-70 radars from Sweden. They can be used in conjunction with their Swedish AAA and MANPADS.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
The last couple of days have seen significant Russian airstrikes on Ukraine, the number of missiles and the barrages have been coming very thick. While the Ukr officials cite extremely high interception rates, the reality is probably not as optimistic. Here is a tweet from a Kyiev Independent reporter-

Also yesterday Russia struck an airfield with aircraft losses-

The OSINT reports from that are very varied, some says only old An-2s were stored there, but pro russians claim that it is the airbase of the 7th tactical aviation brigade, who fly the storm shadow Su-24Ms.

Even if Russia only hit out of use older Su24s, its still a loss, as these could have been cannibalized for parts.
It's allegedly this; "Потерь нет!"(с)

If accurate and those are live jets, it's quite the strike. Parked out of service jets seem more likely but it's hard to be sure off of this.

KipPotapych

A drone attack on Moscow. According to some sources, 13 were shot down and 3 hit apartment buildings. Plenty of photos and a few videos at different places. Source for the numbers:

If you scroll up and down the same Telegram channel, you’ll find some videos of a few drones flying around and some being shot down.

I don’t get how these things can get all the way to Moscow, lol. I mean I do, but you probably know what I mean.

These also appear to be dumb/indiscriminate attacks, ie send it in the right direction and let it hit whatever it hits as long as it gets there.

Edit: Some sources indicate that there were up to 25 drones. Feanor, I am sure, will post better info and sources than me poking around.

Edit 2: I’ll do one more before I hand it over to Feanor. According to the RU MoD, there were 8 drones and all were brought down (sounds familiar - “no losses” - but at least could make sense looking at the evidence). Google translate from the Russian MoD Telegram channel:

This morning, the Kyiv regime launched a terrorist attack with unmanned aerial vehicles on objects in the city of Moscow.

◽ Eight aircraft-type unmanned aerial vehicles were involved in the attack. All enemy drones are hit.

◽ Three of them were suppressed by electronic warfare, lost control and deviated from their intended targets.

◽ Five more unmanned aerial vehicles were shot down by the Pantsir-S anti-aircraft missile and gun system in the Moscow region.

Last edited:

KipPotapych

It's allegedly this; "Потерь нет!"(с)

If accurate and those are live jets, it's quite the strike. Parked out of service jets seem more likely but it's hard to be sure off of this.
Those don’t look live, but who knows. What kind are those? Even if not in operation, they likely could be/were used for parts? Quite a strike, regardless (given there was one like that and these aren’t just old pics from back in the beginning or something).

The title is funny though “No Losses!”(c).

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
A discussion on the latest large Russian missile and drone attack on Ukraine.

My usual Ukrainian source on the attacks.

A drone attack on Moscow. According to some sources, 13 were shot down and 3 hit apartment buildings. Plenty of photos and a few videos at different places. Source for the numbers:

If you scroll up and down the same Telegram channel, you’ll find some videos of a few drones flying around and some being shot down.

I don’t get how these things can get all the way to Moscow, lol. I mean I do, but you probably know what I mean.

These also appear to be dumb/indiscriminate attacks, ie send it in the right direction and let it hit whatever it hits as long as it gets there.

Edit: Some sources indicate that there were up to 25 drones. Feanor, I am sure, will post better info and sources than me poking around.

Edit 2: I’ll do one more before I hand it over to Feanor. According to the RU MoD, there were 8 drones and all were brought down (sounds familiar - “no losses” - but at least could make sense looking at the evidence). Google translate from the Russian MoD Telegram channel:

This morning, the Kyiv regime launched a terrorist attack with unmanned aerial vehicles on objects in the city of Moscow.

◽ Eight aircraft-type unmanned aerial vehicles were involved in the attack. All enemy drones are hit.

◽ Three of them were suppressed by electronic warfare, lost control and deviated from their intended targets.

◽ Five more unmanned aerial vehicles were shot down by the Pantsir-S anti-aircraft missile and gun system in the Moscow region.
The Ukrainians have been able to get drones to the Moscow region before, so why wouldn't they now? The claims by Russia have to be treated with a large degree of scepticism because they have been well known to be economical with any facts. I treat the Ukrainian claims with scepticism as well, but less scepticism than Russian claims.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member

I suspect this is an attempt to force Russia to pull air defenses towards Moscow, just like the Belgorod raid was an attempt to pull Russian reserves to the area. They're probably trying to replicate what Russia did with the Shahed campaign that forced Ukraine to pull back air defenses to cover cities.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Last edited:

T.C.P

https://www.reddit.com/r/UkraineRussiaReport/comments/13whs4s
A pretty detailed vdieo on how Lnacet crews work. They are suing Zala observation drones for the lancet, cheaper and smaler than the using the Orlans.

Recently been seeing a lot of Krasnopol videos as well, I woder if the Zala obervers have laser designators for the Krasnopols or if Russia can only use the Orlans for that.

Also realesed today was a new hit on a Buk-

https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/comments/13whqf5
The exploding ammo shows that this was not a decoy, a bit of an expensive loss, but with Western systems coming in, I guess they can risk more of their legacy systems. Since April, I think we have seen 4-5 different S-300 and Buks getting hit.

Larry_L

The spin here is that The drone strike on Moscow was directed at a military base close to that city and only one KM from the area where the wealthiest Russians live. I would like to believe this since it makes sense to me, and would fit well with the sense of humor of the Ukrainians. What could be more fun than targeting a base where air defense debris would likely fall on the homes of the Russians most responsible for the war.

This link covers some of the UAV's in development in Ukraine. Most of the drones I saw in the videos from Moscow had the forward canard, and bay be of the "Beaver" type reported to be created by Ihor Lachen. This would tend to debunk some of the claims that these were Chinese drones.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's a sacrilege and a mortal sin. It should be classified as a war crime. Distilleries are holier than churches, basicallas and cathedrals.
I take it the west will immediately cease all aid to Ukraine and lift all sanctions against Russia? You know they have gone too far. Self-defense is no excuse for this barbarity.

hauritz

https://www.reddit.com/r/UkraineRussiaReport/comments/13whs4s
A pretty detailed vdieo on how Lnacet crews work. They are suing Zala observation drones for the lancet, cheaper and smaler than the using the Orlans.

Recently been seeing a lot of Krasnopol videos as well, I woder if the Zala obervers have laser designators for the Krasnopols or if Russia can only use the Orlans for that.

Also realesed today was a new hit on a Buk-

https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/comments/13whqf5
The exploding ammo shows that this was not a decoy, a bit of an expensive loss, but with Western systems coming in, I guess they can risk more of their legacy systems. Since April, I think we have seen 4-5 different S-300 and Buks getting hit.
Once this is all over and the fog of war has lifted I will be intrigued to see just how effective loitering munitions have been. From videos I have seen they seem to represent a continual threat to both sides. They can hit you when you are hiding in trenches, they can loiter and simply watch and wait for the best time to strike. Possibly they will prove to be the successor to manned attack helicopter, accept stealthier and ultimately disposable.

I can only imagine how terrifying they will become if, or should I say when, they become fully autonomous.

Stampede

Once this is all over and the fog of war has lifted I will be intrigued to see just how effective loitering munitions have been. From videos I have seen they seem to represent a continual threat to both sides. They can hit you when you are hiding in trenches, they can loiter and simply watch and wait for the best time to strike. Possibly they will prove to be the successor to manned attack helicopter, accept stealthier and ultimately disposable.

I can only imagine how terrifying they will become if, or should I say when, they become fully autonomous.
Interestingly Japan are not pursuing an armed helicopter going forward.

There will be much to take from this conflict
Confirmation some stuff still works and has a place and other bits have had there day.

I don't have the answer.

The unmanned space is a interesting realm.

Cheers S

vonnoobie

Interestingly Japan are not pursuing an armed helicopter going forward.

There will be much to take from this conflict
Confirmation some stuff still works and has a place and other bits have had there day.

I don't have the answer.

The unmanned space is a interesting realm.

Cheers S
Hard pressed to make an argument that any bit of equipment has had its day. Japan ditching them also doesnt give much sway to the viability and use of crewed attack helicopters. Japan as we all know is an Island nation that does not go to war with anyone, So them having attack helicopters isn't a must have, more a nice to have. While uncrewed systems/drones will and do have their place they should not be assumed to be an outright replacement, things can be jammed, or suffer from lag or have limited situational awareness that a crewed system wont suffer from (at least not entirely).

If anything this war in Ukraine has shown that everything everyone said "its had its day" are entirely false in their assertion.