The Russian-Ukrainian War Thread

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Update on Zaporozhye.

We can see the results of a bloody Ukrainian push into Pyatihatka. Ukraine has lost quite a few vehicles. There are now reports that Russia has counter-attacked and re-entered Pyatihatka.

Here we have apparently two Ukrainian T-72, an M1 and a B3, knocked out or stuck and abandoned. We also have a BRM-1K, and 4 other armored vehicles. This is near Pyatihatka.

Russian Ka-52 ATGM strikes. Note in the second video, it's against a moving target.

Ukrainian AMX-10s rolling around, presumably 37th MarBde.

The Leo-2A6 we saw knocked out before has now lost its barrel, and apparently has not been recovered by Ukrainian forces.

Ukrainian infantry KIA somewhere near Orekhov, after a probing attack. Warning footage of corpses.

Ukrainian POWs taken near Novodanilovka. Their vehicle burns behind them.

Allegedly a group of Ukrainian service members in Russian uniforms and a truck with a Z marking tried to enter Russian lines but were identified and killed.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
There have been allegations that Russian forces have been castrating UKR POWs without the benefit of any anaesthesia. It is, arguably, to stop them from breeding more Ukrainians. This is most definitely a war crime and could arguably, be borderline genocide. Whilst this item speaks of two particular cases, it goes onto to claim that there are 400 - 500 other cases, possibly more.

I would argue that this is most likely NOT official RU MOD policy, certain elements within their forces are allegedly committing these war crimes. However, by failing to put a stop to this despicable activity, the Russian military and civilian leadership aren't doing Russia any favours, and leave themselves liable to being indicted for war crimes. The Russians claim to be a civilised people, but this type of activity, the raping of Ukrainian women and the other war crimes that they committed in places like Bucha, show that they are not civilised and that they are no better than the Nazi SS during WW2.

KipPotapych

I read the AP original earlier today:

and again now and can’t say I see any further evidence.

KipPotapych

However, by failing to put a stop to this despicable activity, the Russian military and civilian leadership aren't doing Russia any favours, and leave themselves liable to being indicted for war crimes.
But did this actually happen? And if it did, who was/is aware? 400-500 alleged cases is a lot of cases. Neither sounds plausible, especially because the POW’s were returned home. Also, it is a third party account with “she said she was told” (I watched somewhere between half and 2/3 of the video, maybe something else is discussed later).

On a personal note, the UK seems a bit (lightly said) overly propagandistic, like in your face sort of thing, in this conflict, which makes anything they say media wise, officials, and/or the MoD to cast quite a bit of doubt on my part, a complete disbelief at times, especially when other sources suggest otherwise.

Redshift

But did this actually happen? And if it did, who was/is aware? 400-500 alleged cases is a lot of cases. Neither sounds plausible, especially because the POW’s were returned home. Also, it is a third party account with “she said she was told” (I watched somewhere between half and 2/3 of the video, maybe something else is discussed later).

On a personal note, the UK seems a bit (lightly said) overly propagandistic, like in your face sort of thing, in this conflict, which makes anything they say media wise, officials, and/or the MoD to cast quite a bit of doubt on my part, a complete disbelief at times, especially when other sources suggest otherwise.

Almost nobody tells the full truth in these situations, and also almost nobody is entirely neutral no matter what they say publicly.

I agree that their has been significant exaggeration of certain situations from British sources, but outright propaganda? I am less convinced.

The UK is firmly on the Ukrainian side, that much is obvious , and thus you would expect bias and optimism from the UK wrt Ukraine, but to dismiss UK news sources as you do is rather fatuous.

I personally (as a Brit) had never seen this article and have never heard it being referred to on any UK outlet that I watch or read until it was posted here.

Mind you I also had no idea that the "Times Radio" station even existed and having looked it up it is a very niche outlet with less than 600k listeners per week so it's hardly influential and none of the mainstream news outlets has , so far as I am aware, picked this story up.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Update on Zaporozhye.

The overall picture of Ukraine's offensive operations on the Vremyevskiy bulge have become clear. They're attempting to sweep from east and west, forcing Russian forces in the center to retreat or face encirclement. Note, so far it has been a slow bloody slog, with Ukrainian efforts at Urozhaynoy and Novodonetskoe distinctly repulsed. It appears an attempt on Staromlynovka is next. From the other side the push is through Levadnoe, and into Pyatihatka where reportedly a Russian counter-attack pushed Ukrainian forces out of the village (other versions of the story state Ukrainian forces pulled back due to the positions there being untenable due to heavy enemy fire). I've organized the links below in roughly geographic order from west to east, starting at the Orekhov axis, and ending with Novodonetskoe. I've left videos whose exact location can't be identified at the end.

Destroyed Ukrainian vehicles on the Orekhov axis.

Ukrainian POW from the 65th Bde near Orekhov claims that their btln of 500 is down to 150 personnel, and most of their M113s are wrecked or non-functional.

Ukrainian infantry getting hit allegedly by a Russian MBT. Footage is from the infantry's perspective. This is allegedly Pyatihatka.

Russian volunteer btln Osetia, fighting near Pyatihatka. Ukrainian sources claimed the unit was destroyed. They claim otherwise, though admit they've taken some casualties.

A destroyed Oshkosh M-ATV, and Ukrainian KIAs. This is near Urozhaynoe. Warning footage of corpses.

A destroyed Kipri MRAP near Novodonetskoe. Note the Kipri is commonly used by Ukrainian Marines, and they have been in action there. On the other hand it's believed the 37th Marines mainly rides Oshkosh M-ATVs.

Russian 40th Marines examine an abandoned AMX-10RC near Novodonetskoe. Note we saw 3 there abandoned, possibly knocked out (though possibly just stuck).

Allegedly a Ukrainian D-20 getting hit by a Russian loitering munition, Zaporozhye area. Kaskad btln at work. Note this unit was active around Ugledar for a long time, and is a DNR Ministry of Interior formation. Due to their expertise with quadcopters, they are a DNR element that has gotten quite a bit of access to Russian loitering munitions and appears to be getting used in priority areas.

Russian Ka-52 ATGM launches.

Two Ukrainian armored vehicles hitting land mines. One is an Oshkosh M-ATV, the other unclear (Husky TSV?). Unclear if the same Oshkosh as above.

Another wrecked Ukrainian element. A T-64BV with mine trawl, two M-113s, an M-ATV, and a light van. This was likely another attempt to breach the minefield, with the tank acting as a mine clearing vehicle, and the element behind it meant to provide security, and possibly seize a position.

Russian FPV drone targeting the roof of a Leo-2A6.

Ukrainian Bradley fires, both autocannon and ATGM, during the recent fighting.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member

Oryx call it quit. Seems now Lost Armour don't have their online private western 'match' on providing lost calculation on this war. Wonder whose in West that are going to take over.
It really is a lot. I'm debating giving up on clearing the backlog and posting everything as there's just too much. Instead just focusing on the most interesting tidbits. I've found value for myself, and hopefully others, in compiling a composite picture from the Russian side to show a different angle of the conflict but it's also really hard to keep up.

It really is a lot. I'm debating giving up on clearing the backlog and posting everything as there's just too much. Instead just focusing on the most interesting tidbits. I've found value for myself, and hopefully others, in compiling a composite picture from the Russian side to show a different angle of the conflict but it's also really hard to keep up.
I find this YouTube channel as a good aggregator of information from Russian sources. It's fairly comprehensive and the guy uploads 2-3 videos a day with the last updates.

Military Summary - YouTube

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

What other sources would they be?

You will note that I used the word "allegations". Now where did I state that it was fact.
I read the AP original earlier today:

and again now and can’t say I see any further evidence.
It's a media piece and it's amazing that they actually placed the dam in Ukraine.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
A damaged Russian KA-52 Hokum flying without its tail. The Hokum has an ejection system for its crew.

Apparently the Russians have started an offensive in the eastern Luhansk Oblast. They appear to be attempting to targeting Kremina. Whether they have the ability and resources to continue the advance is uncertain.

Meanwhile in Zaporizhia, the Ukrainians appear to have liberated more territory. They appear to be inching forward slowly.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Apparently the Russians have started an offensive in the eastern Luhansk Oblast. They appear to be attempting to targeting Kremina. Whether they have the ability and resources to continue the advance is uncertain.
They're not targeting Kremennaya. They're pushing out of Kremennaya, presumably towards Krasniy Liman, that's the logical axis of advance in that area. I have nothing from Russian sources yet, I'll update if any of them cover this.

Meanwhile in Mar'inka, Russia has used an MT-LB full of explosives to attack a Ukrainian position south of them. It appears Russian forces have now taken another incremental Ukrainian position called Zverinets, pushing towards Novomihailovka. So far it still looks like an opportunistic advance, but if they take Novomihailovka, it will open the road to threatening Ukrainian positions in Mar'inka from the south, or Ugledar from the north. Rybar thinks this is a preparation for attacking the village of Pobeda which would indicate an intent to pressure Mar'inka from the south.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Update on Zaporozhye.

Some combat footage from the outskirts of Pyatihatka. Note it's likely this footage is a few days old.

Two abandoned Ukrainian armored vehicles near Novodonetskoe, possibly one is a Husky TSV or M-ATV. This is the same area we saw abandoned AMX-10RCs.

I think this is the same destroyed vehicle we saw earlier but it's hard to be sure. Warning footage of corpses.

Ukrainian forces examine their FV104 Samaritan, destroyed.

Russian Shahed strikes in Zaporozhye.

Ukrainian pickup truck drives by two destroyed MRAPs.

Russian Sudoplatov volunteer btln striking targets with FPV drones. We have a couple of light vehicles getting hit, a Kozak armored car, a Ukrainian field position, and a garage.

Capt. Ironpants

Here's an interesting thing: A remote-controlled tank bomb:

Is this a new innovation? Or has this been done before? (Apologies for my ignorance.)

Many thanks to @Feanor for his excellent updates all this time. I know it is a lot of work and is much appreciated. Also thanks to @ngatimozart for all the updates from the Ukrainian side. Together, you keep it covered.

EDIT: Oops! This was already covered in @Feanor's latest update. My apologies. Mods, please delete this post. I did not intend to be redundant.

Last edited:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here's an interesting thing: A remote-controlled tank bomb:

Is this a new innovation? Or has this been done before? (Apologies for my ignorance.)

Many thanks to @Feanor for his excellent updates all this time. I know it is a lot of work and is much appreciated. Also thanks to @ngatimozart for all the updates from the Ukrainian side. Together, you keep it covered.
There has been a steady pattern of Russia doing this, based on their experience in Syria. It's not super common but I'm aware of 5 reports, 2 of them recently from the Mar'inka area. Not all reports are supported by video.

vikingatespam

There has been a steady pattern of Russia doing this, based on their experience in Syria. It's not super common but I'm aware of 5 reports, 2 of them recently from the Mar'inka area. Not all reports are supported by video.
This is old tech - the Germans used this in WW2. "Goliath" - a remote control (cable) demolition device. Not very successful, about the same as the RU efforts.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
According to Rybar it's Ukraine on the offensive in Lugansk region, with a Russian counter-attack capturing a couple of minor positions. Note the situations remains murky, with no major ground changing hands so far.