The Russian-Ukrainian War Thread

KipPotapych

^ I believe Reuters reported it first in writing in English (arguably, my preferred source). From the article:

Germany's foreign minister said on Sunday her government would not stand in the way if Poland wants breakthrough for Kyiv which wants the tanks for its fight against Russia's invasion…

Asked what would happen if Poland went ahead and sent its Leopard 2 tanks without German approval, Annalena Baerbock said on France's LCI TV: "For the moment the question has not been asked, but if we were asked we would not stand in the way."

I do agree with your last sentence.

I also don’t have much doubt that Ukraine will get tanks, for better or worse.

edit: see you added the original now :)

Last edited:

Vivendi

Asked what would happen if Poland went ahead and sent its Leopard 2 tanks without German approval, Annalena Baerbock said on France's LCI TV: "For the moment the question has not been asked, but if we were asked we would not stand in the way."

The UK Defence Secretary claims that a formal request was submitted last week: Berlin asked for permission to send German-made Leopard 2 tanks to Ukraine, Ben Wallace reveals | World News | Sky News

Very odd situation.

In any case: There is probably no single country in Europe that has sufficent tanks to send to Ukraine, thus it has to be a concerted effort of many countries. To not create a logistics nightmare they should send tanks that are as similar as possible. Also, logistics support and training will be very important.

I understand that Germany now says they "would not stand in the way" however one should expect a bit more from the country that has quite a lot to offer when it comes to supporting such a huge logistics and training challenge. Successful leaders should do two things well: make decisions, and communicate. The German leadership seems to perform rather underwhelming on both points, IMO..

MarcH

Indeed an odd situation. The US has several hundred M1's sitting in storage while European nations would (for the most part) have to take them away from their own forces.
The German industry could provide a few and then there are those from the flooded Spanish warehouse (so basicly scrap metal).
Fuel consumption is one thing, but the Ukrainians operate T-80's... Thats more experience with gas turbines in tanks then most European armies have.

Unric

Originally I believe that Ukraine operated mainly the T-80UD (Diesel version). However, they probably have quite a few of the gas turbine T-80s in their inventory now (oryx lists over 50 captured). That might help them understand how difficult it is to adapt assuming they're using them.

seaspear

It would be interesting to see which of the Leopard models are sent the earlier ones would struggle in tank on tank battles
Leopard 2 A4 vs T-72 battle expected as Germany prepares to supply tanks to Ukraine (frontierindia.com)
If the Czech,s were to provide their latest Leopards including the a-7 they would have some chance versus a t-90
Czech army to acquire Leopard 2A4 and 2A7 tanks after giving its T-72s to Ukraine | Defense News May 2022 Global Security army industry | Defense Security global news industry army year 2022 | Archive News year (armyrecognition.com)

Vivendi

"The lookout" provides a high-level summary in English of an interview done in Norwegian by the Norwegian Chief of Defence, Mr. Kristoffersen. The Lookout on Twitter: " https://t.co/ce8DTq1OFi" / Twitter

High-level summary:
* Estimated KIA/WIA Russian military: 180,000
* Estimated KIA/WIA Ukr. military: 100,000
* Estimated Ukr. civilians killed: 30,000
* Despite heavy losses and sanctions, Russia has the capability to mobilize more people, and manufacture new equipment
* As a consequence, Russia is able to keep this war running "for a very long time"
* Ukraine needs supply of MBTs to go on the offensive -- if they want to go on the offensive this winter/spring, they need them quickly

In other (but probably related) news, the Norwegian "expanded foreign and defence committee" had a meeting yesterday to talk about support to Ukraine according, to Norwegian newspaper Dagbladet. Dagbladet writes that according to their anonymous sources MBTs was on the agenda... Opplysninger til Dagbladet: - Hemmelig Ukraina-møte

Norway has a low number of quite old Leo 2A4, in my opinion quite useless, unless as part of a concerted effort by several European countries...

swerve

Super Moderator
It would be interesting to see which of the Leopard models are sent the earlier ones would struggle in tank on tank battles
Leopard 2 A4 vs T-72 battle expected as Germany prepares to supply tanks to Ukraine (frontierindia.com)
If the Czech,s were to provide their latest Leopards including the a-7 they would have some chance versus a t-90
Czech army to acquire Leopard 2A4 and 2A7 tanks after giving its T-72s to Ukraine | Defense News May 2022 Global Security army industry | Defense Security global news industry army year 2022 | Archive News year (armyrecognition.com)
The Czechs have not received any 2A7s. They have received a small number of 2A4s (reported as delivered in December 2022), & are buying 2A7s for future delivery. Their 2A7s haven't been made yet.

swerve

Super Moderator
Norway has a low number of quite old Leo 2A4, in my opinion quite useless, unless as part of a concerted effort by several European countries...
That's exactly what Finland is suggesting. It's offering to supply some Leopard 2A4 as part of a joint effort, so Ukraine gets a useful number instead of penny packets.

SolarisKenzo

Italy will scrap 75 Ariete MBTs, confirmed recently...They wont be sent to Ukraine or anyone else.
Only 125 tanks out of 200 will be modernized due to budget issues.

KipPotapych

The UK Defence Secretary claims that a formal request was submitted last week: Berlin asked for permission to send German-made Leopard 2 tanks to Ukraine, Ben Wallace reveals | World News | Sky News

Very odd situation.
It appears British MoD/Wallace is not fully informed (unlikely):

Poland said on Monday it would ask Germany for permission to send Leopard tanks to Ukraine - and would send them whether or not Berlin agreed as long as other countries did too.

[…]

Polish Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki, whose country, like Latvia, neighbours Ukraine, said Warsaw would ask Germany for permission to re-export the tanks to Kyiv.

But he added: "Even if we did not get this approval... we would still transfer our tanks together with others to Ukraine. The condition for us at the moment is to build at least a small coalition of countries."

swerve

Super Moderator
Well, there we have it. Three days ago Ben Wallace said he'd heard that Poland had formally asked for permission. Today Poland said it would ask for permission - i.e. that it it hasn't yet.

So the Germans have been telling the truth: they haven't been asked yet.

Vivendi

Well, there we have it. Three days ago Ben Wallace said he'd heard that Poland had formally asked for permission. Today Poland said it would ask for permission - i.e. that it it hasn't yet.
The Sky News story says "Ben Wallace did not say which nation he was referring to but it is likely to be Poland...". It seems to me that the journalist was speculating that Poland had formally asked for for permission, Wallace did not specify the country.. So it could have been another country that asked for permission last week. Or do you have another source clearly saying that Ben Wallace was referring to Poland specifically?

In any case I see a lot of ironies here -- Germany and Poland are clearly handling the Ukraine war quite differently at the same time it seems similar "forces" are at play. Both countries seem to be acting according to their individual histories. And both countries seem to let a lot of internal politics interfere with how they act and even more so how they communicate (or not communicate...). I would not be surprised if another country than Poland was the first to formally ask for permission, whereas Poland seems to be busy not just shipping military equipment to Ukraine but also vocally express their strong displeasure with how Germany is doing things -- it would perhaps be harder to do that, had they submitted a formal request for Leos much earlier....?

swerve

Super Moderator
The German foreign minister said yesterday that no requests had been received. Wallace spoke on Friday, saying that he'd heard that a request was being submitted that day. I think it's more likely that he'd got garbled information, perhaps poorly translated, than that Ms. Baerbock was wrong.

Nobody else has said they're asking for permission yet. Finland, for example, has said it wishes to coordinate with other countries. What country do you think might have quietly submitted a request? There aren't any obvious candidates I can think of.

Musashi_kenshin

The German foreign minister said yesterday that no requests had been received. Wallace spoke on Friday, saying that he'd heard that a request was being submitted that day. I think it's more likely that he'd got garbled information, perhaps poorly translated, than that Ms. Baerbock was wrong.
It could also be an issue of the definition of request.

A country may have broached the subject with the German government informally, and the response was "it's not convenient right now" or "wait a couple of weeks before asking again". I seem to recall a similar thing happened roughly a decade ago when Taiwan asked for new F-16s. Washington did not formally issue a statement saying "we will not sell new F-16s", but it indicated informally that it would not process Taiwan's request if it was submitted. Accordingly, Taiwan decided not to push the issue for fear of damaging relations.

Germany is the sort of place where I can imagine officialdom saying "if it wasn't submitted in triplicate on NATO Form 26Ya, it wasn't a request". So maybe the Germans were technically correct in that an official, diplomatic request for transfer was not made. But they may have also been quietly pushing for that official request to not be made.

This is speculation, of course. However, Poland has been talking about German authorisation for transferring tanks for some time. It's not like Germany couldn't have said it had decided to authorise tank transfers to Ukraine and just needed the paperwork for stamping.

Last edited:

MarcH

We had several rumors making the round over the weekend. Swiss newsletter Newspaper NZZ wrote the US would offer every nation which sends Leopards to Ukraine M1 Abrams tanks as replacements.
NZZ article in German
Then there was some speculation Germany could offer those 19 tanks (version A5) from our traing centre. Voices from within the Bundeswehr are somewhat sceptical. For example Lt. Col. Andre Wuestner said in the talk show 'maybrit illner': a tank battallion has 44 tanks paper strength. There are 6 tank battallions within the Bundeswehr. 4 auf them have at best 10 tanks combat ready.
The other two are earmarked for VJTF and are probably full strength. But thats specalation from me, he didn't comment on them.

He said he wasn't opposed to sending aid to Ukraine. BUT without the revitalization of the armaments industry and orders yesterday for more vehicles, spare parts and ammunition the Bundeswehr won't be able to fullfill it's NATO commitments.

Which lead to the issue off missing backfills. The first heavy weapon system donated to Ukraine was our SPG, the PzH 2000. No replacement order for those donated in sight.
And there is another effect: since Ukraine has priority for spare parts and ammunition, the availability/combat readiness of the remaining PzH 2k took a hit. And those are part of the same brigade earmarked for VJTF as well.

VJTF is meant as deterrence, to prevent the escalation of the conflict. An understrenght, badly trained and starved of supplies VJTF isn't much of a deterrence.

Conclusion: "freeing the Leopards" is one thing. Getting crews combat ready und keeping them supplied a complete different story. And the supply situation would effect all current Leopard users.

Remains to be seen if Pistorius can do yesterday what Lambrecht failed to do in 11 months.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
We had several rumors making the round over the weekend. Swiss newsletter Newspaper NZZ wrote the US would offer every nation which sends Leopards to Ukraine M1 Abrams tanks as replacements.
NZZ article in German
Then there was some speculation Germany could offer those 19 tanks (version A5) from our traing centre. Voices from within the Bundeswehr are somewhat sceptical. For example Lt. Col. Andre Wuestner said in the talk show 'maybrit illner': a tank battallion has 44 tanks paper strength. There are 6 tank battallions within the Bundeswehr. 4 auf them have at best 10 tanks combat ready.
The other two are earmarked for VJTF and are probably full strength. But thats specalation from me, he didn't comment on them.

He said he wasn't opposed to sending aid to Ukraine. BUT without the revitalization of the armaments industry and orders yesterday for more vehicles, spare parts and ammunition the Bundeswehr won't be able to fullfill it's NATO commitments.

Which lead to the issue off missing backfills. The first heavy weapon system donated to Ukraine was our SPG, the PzH 2000. No replacement order for those donated in sight.
And there is another effect: since Ukraine has priority for spare parts and ammunition, the availability/combat readiness of the remaining PzH 2k took a hit. And those are part of the same brigade earmarked for VJTF as well.

VJTF is meant as deterrence, to prevent the escalation of the conflict. An understrenght, badly trained and starved of supplies VJTF isn't much of a deterrence.

Conclusion: "freeing the Leopards" is one thing. Getting crews combat ready und keeping them supplied a complete different story. And the supply situation would effect all current Leopard users.

Remains to be seen if Pistorius can do yesterday what Lambrecht failed to do in 11 months.
Good points wrt spares and replacements. As for tanks, countries offering Leopards and the US backfilling them with M1s, interesting option.

MarcH

Good points wrt spares and replacements. As for tanks, countries offering Leopards and the US backfilling them with M1s, interesting option.
Well, you can guess how Rheinmetall and KMW react to Americans or possibly Koreans taking over their market share.

Add to that inexperienced Ukrainian crews learning while fighting in (most likely) the outdated A4 version. Green crews in outdated tanks. What could possibly go wrong ?

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Well, you can guess how Rheinmetall and KMW react to Americans or possibly Koreans taking over their market share.

Add to that inexperienced Ukrainian crews learning while fighting in (most likely) the outdated A4 version. Green crews in outdated tanks. What could possibly go wrong ?
The Ukrainians would be crewing any western tanks with battle hardened crews, not green recruits. That's how they will get the best out of the tanks. It's both logical and good sound practice.

KipPotapych

The Sky News story says "Ben Wallace did not say which nation he was referring to but it is likely to be Poland...". It seems to me that the journalist was speculating that Poland had formally asked for for permission, Wallace did not specify the country.. So it could have been another country that asked for permission last week. Or do you have another source clearly saying that Ben Wallace was referring to Poland specifically?

In any case I see a lot of ironies here -- Germany and Poland are clearly handling the Ukraine war quite differently at the same time it seems similar "forces" are at play. Both countries seem to be acting according to their individual histories. And both countries seem to let a lot of internal politics interfere with how they act and even more so how they communicate (or not communicate...). I would not be surprised if another country than Poland was the first to formally ask for permission, whereas Poland seems to be busy not just shipping military equipment to Ukraine but also vocally express their strong displeasure with how Germany is doing things -- it would perhaps be harder to do that, had they submitted a formal request for Leos much earlier....?
I believe it is more than that, as kato posted on the previous page and I agreed with it in the next post:

Baerbock's sentence there is primarily an official statement denouncing and deconstructing the smear campaign Polish nationalist party PiS is trying to run with British support against Germany.
In addition to historical reasons, power struggle in the EU is real (but beyond the scope of this discussion).

Also, Germany came around a long way since the war had started and one cannot really blame them for the way they look at things (and the view is actually more reasonable and is based on reality, in my humble opinion). The “red line” set by ourselves (the West) has been crossed numerous times, from supplying Stringers all the way to now Patriot’s and MBT’s. The “plans” have changed quite a bit as well, since now direct attacks on Russian territory are about to become almost welcoming and expected. Crimea is no longer put of out of bounds but had become part of the “plan”:

But the Biden administration has come to believe that if the Ukrainian military can show Russia that its control of Crimea can be threatened, that would strengthen Kyiv’s position in any future negotiations. In addition, fears that the Kremlin would retaliate using a tactical nuclear weapon have dimmed, U.S. officials and experts said — though they cautioned that the risk remained.

At the same time, Zelensky was telling the Germans that the tanks would not be used to attack Russia (sorry, trying to find the source, but can’t at the moment). Russians, in the meantime, keep warning about the involvement of NATO in the conflict, and supply of tanks in particular:

For its part, Russia has warned of increasing Nato involvement, direct as well as indirect, in the conflict. Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said on Friday that sending tanks would not change the course of the conflict, but would "create more problems for Ukraine and the Ukrainian people".

The distinction between defensive (which we said we would supply) and offensive (which we said we would not) weapons is gradually “blurring in”.

Furthermore, the recent developments in Russia can be viewed in different ways as well. For example, installations of Pantsir’s on the roofs of MoD and other buildings (source somewhere above, provided by another member) may suggest that, as most of the media indicate, the Russians are “fearful” of a Ukraine drone attack on Moscow. Another interpretation could be that they are actually preparing for an escalation and things to come. The latter holds logic behind it, as opposed to the former, in my opinion. Gerasimov becoming in charge of the war in Ukraine may suggest the same as he commands the Russian Armed Forces in their entirety and the chain of command beyond is very short and consists of two links. He is also, I believe, one of the three people with access to the “cheget”.

Anyway, this, in part, is also my response to what I said I would mull over and come back to it a page or two ago. We will see what happens. Frankly, the plan of attacking Crimea to bring Russia to the negotiating table is idiotic and will bring about a pretty strong response, again, in my humble opinion. Anyone and everyone may think of Crimea what they like, but that boat had sailed back in 2014 and it ain’t coming back. There aren’t many Russians that think this should be contested, even remotely so (@Feanor may chime in with better insight on this perhaps?) Germany has things to worry about with the decisions they are making.

Baerbock stated that while Poland hasn’t sent a request yet, but if it does, Germany is not going to stand on the way in regards to the Leopards for Ukraine (vis Google translate):

“At the moment the question has not been asked, but if we had been asked, we would not have stood in the way,” Ms Baerbock told the French television channel LCI.

@KipPotapych Where is the source for this claim? I know that such has been reported BUT we still require a source. Please remember so in the future.

Ngatimozart.
@ngatimozart Sorry, I thought referencing the original source is sufficient. I usually post direct links but saw no need, really, in this case and more sources were supplied later in the discussion, including. Point taken.