The Royal Navy Discussions and Updates

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's all encouraging news - 45 with a large stack of Sea Ceptor plus ABM capability is welcome.. Some sort of anti shipping missile next would be good of course :)

Sandhi Yudha

Systems Adict

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I don't understand why shipyards working on naval vessels with sensitive equipment/components do not simply build the warships indoor, totally protected against weather and cameras.

With regards the shipyards on the Clyde, there is a long story there that goes as far back as 2012 - 14, where I believe that the shipbuilder put forward proposals for a 'Frigate Factory', but UK PLC stated "NON ! " & wouldn't put any funds forward in the form of assistance.

The costs of dismantling over 100 years of shipbuilding (in the form of some of the buildings), also ended up with local Government stepping in & stating some facilities are 'listed buildings', so it's likely taken the shipyard finding some funds, as well as arranging planning permission to be in place, BEFORE actually striking a blow on the development

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
With regards the shipyards on the Clyde, there is a long story there that goes as far back as 2012 - 14, where I believe that the shipbuilder put forward proposals for a 'Frigate Factory', but UK PLC stated "NON ! " & wouldn't put any funds forward in the form of assistance.

The costs of dismantling over 100 years of shipbuilding (in the form of some of the buildings), also ended up with local Government stepping in & stating some facilities are 'listed buildings', so it's likely taken the shipyard finding some funds, as well as arranging planning permission to be in place, BEFORE actually striking a blow on the development
Central and local government bureaucracy - don't you just love it.

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's an interesting purchase - and it does seem sensible to get something in that saves pulling a hull from the rather over-stretched surface fleet to be sure.

It'll be interesting to see what they come up with to test.

swerve

Super Moderator
Yes, considering the number of T23s fitted with it, the smaller number of T26s, & T31 having a different radar there should be a few going spare.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
FSS proposals unveiled (in a limited way as apparently the MOD has everyone on an NDA)

Interesting that one of them has Artisan specified- seems a bit Gucci for an RFA -although there may be spare sets left over once the Type 23's are all decomissioned.
They would be impressive ships if built.

The two Interislander ferries being built to that design certainly are impressive beasties and think they may have a bit of a tight turn in the Tory Channel by the old whaling station. On the way over from Wellington to Picton just after you enter the channel she's a hard 90 degree turn to port otherwise you'll be needing tracks on the bottom of your hull to be like a mountain goat. Maybe they'll go in the through the Queen Charlotte entrance which means longer in Cook Strait and that's more punters feeding the fish :D

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes, considering the number of T23s fitted with it, the smaller number of T26s, & T31 having a different radar there should be a few going spare.
Also, I *think* a couple of sets of the TAS and radar were purchased to get 26 moving without having to wait for kit to be decommissioned and refurbished for return to service.

I may be misremembering however.

JohnJT

Here's a pic and video from NavalNews.com discussing the partnership between SH Defence (cube system) and BAE Systems' Adaptable Strike Frigate. This is an early look at the design BAE are proposing for the Type 32.