The Royal Navy Discussions and Updates

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
today another british soldier died in afghanistan, these are all news about british defence today, nothing about much needed cvf or 2 adittional type 45 destroyers, why they don,t go from irak and afghanistan ??? what are they doing there ??? dying soldiers and spending a lot of money that could be used in new equipment such as the cvf, really it,s a crazy matter for me.

Jambo_100

yes i see what you meen dave but the navy is shrinking, the government want to cut it by half!!! the new tech we are getting is great - if we had enough of it. I meen, what is the point in having two new aircraft carriers (if they dont get cancelled) if we havnt got enough ships to protect our carrier battle groups. the T45 has gone from 12 down to 6, with a possible extra 2. the sub fleet has gone from 16 down to 9, with many other cuts. when our new SSBNs are built we will need 4 for maximum power but the gov' can only afford to build 3 at the moment.

swerve

Super Moderator
I also don't see the problem.
What is the problem in you being slightly above france or vice versa?

BTW, when it comes to power projection I would rate france slightly above the UK. The CdG is way ahead of everything the UK fields at the moment and they also have their amphibious forces. And they also changed to a full professional army with enough modern equipment.

I think there is too much national pride and not enough rationalism in your view.
For power projection, France has one considerable advantage, i.e. CdG. It's far superior for fighting enemy aircraft than anything the RN has, especially with the SHARs being retired, & its Hawkeyes are valuable for surface search. But that's it. The RN is far ahead in amphibious forces, transports, & fleet train.

Jambo_100

Rn

according to the NATO (i found this on wikipedia.org) the royal navy is second largest in the Nato when measured by tonnage. the RNs power projection is second only to the USN.

yes the french CdG is quite impressive but the RN is still leading when it comes to Power projection. when we get our two new aircraft carriers (equipt with 38 stealthy F-35Bs and 12 merlin choppers) we will be further ahead. france is also getting a new carrier (the UK/french are on a joint project) that will be equipt with rafeals. the rafeal is good but it hasnt got stealth or STOVL. what will happen to the CdG anyway? will it still be in service, i hear it has been plagued with problems.

when i see the new carriers sailing i will believe by now only is a project but still any steel has been cutted and rumours of cancellation are much and much stronger

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
You are aware of the fact that saying a plane is better because it is STOVL is pointless, are you?

And on the one hand you say how the RN is ruined right now and on the other hand you are highlighting that they are for sure the second best NATO navy and the french are no competition...

Dave H

The Govy havent decided to cut the deterrent force to three, so nothing to do with cost, the recent decision was to consider design processes and needs. We might keep four boats but improvements in tech, less maintenance needs and better reactors might mean three boats could still allow one to be on permanent patrol.

STOVL might mean more sorties per aircraft but it also means less payload and range, I would rather have bigger carriers with cats and wires and fly F35Cs or even F18/Rafaels from them.

Dave H

Overlander, just curious but are you British? only ask because of your grammar and somewhat doom merchant discussion of UK affairs.

As for Afghanistan, we are there because the Taliban allowed Al quaeda to base itself there, the same Al Queada that planned 9/11, the Spanish Bombs and the same organisation that inspired Mohammed Siddique Khan and the other 7/7 and 21/7 plotters to conspire in mass murder of UK citizens.

If you cant see that then you are blinkered.

Shiny ships that are never used are no point if you lack the balls to commit forces, the forces in Afghanistan and Iraq (not Irak!) are engaged in action, I question the Iraq mission but not the Afghan one.

As to stronger rumours of cancellation? Where? Does your repeated mantra about cuts make a rumour true? I dont think so.

contedicavour

A couple of remarks :

> allocation of defence spending : if today's and tomorrow's conflicts are in areas where the navy is almost useless (as is the case with Afghanistan), we have to accept some sort of reallocation of spending away from Navy towards Army & AF. At least the RN is smart enough to request assets such as the new carriers and Astute who can be useful to attack targets far away inland. Question is : what is more cost-efficient between an extra squadron of F35 with cruise missiles or an extra couple of Type 45s.... I would focus on FFG/DDG with land attack capability (as the French with Scalp), it might better survive defence cuts.

> discussions on the French CDG carrier... yes it has faced several issues in its first years. Nowadays it is nonetheless the most powerful ship in Western European inventory (the CVFs won't materialize until 2015...), so let's stop underrating it... with 2 dozen multi-role Rafale F2s (coming into service now) it is quite impressive.

cheers

Jambo_100

Rn

You are aware of the fact that saying a plane is better because it is STOVL is pointless, are you?

And on the one hand you say how the RN is ruined right now and on the other hand you are highlighting that they are for sure the second best NATO navy and the french are no competition...
yeh we are currently the second best navy in the NATO and THE best in europe (just about the best anyway) but if the Cuts continue then we will drop to second place with the french in the lead, then the germans. thats why all the top notch navy admirals want the carriers because if we get them it will keep us as number one. a cancellation would be a massive decline.

I think the Gov' should have gone for a conventional design, the aircraft would then have better range and a better payload, we would also be able to do joint exersizes with USA and our french allies. but no, once again the Gov' settle for second best. the UK has the second highest defence budget in the world but hardly any of that cash goes on the actual military, it all goes to fighting useless wars in the middle east. but when something urgent comes along then the gov' some how find the money like these new bits of kit. a GPS guided artillary missile with a 60km range (quite awesome:D ) its been nicknamed the 60km sniper.

look! http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/D...BritishTroopsToBeArmedWith60kmSnipervideo.htm

dave h i am not british, i am spanish, so excuse my alphabet, what i mean is that by now any firm order for cvf has been placed and maybe you remember what happened with cva 01 in 1966, they spent a lot of money in to design it and finally they cancelled, as you have to understand is not normal that from july 2004 that it was the time the approval for the project and it was to be announced in parliament by the then minister now 3 years later still is not approved, they say because industrial compretition, prices , i don, t know but the true is that by now these 2 future carriers are only in the paper, to put you an example the spanish navy designed and will built the new lhd buque de proyeccion estrategica in only 7 years, of course is a less complex ship but is not a frigate too is a ship of 32000 tonnes and the cvf start the project in 1999 and still steel has not been cut, in my opinion this is not normal, the ships were expected to enter in service in 2012 and 2015 , now if finally they are built they will enter service in 2016-2019 as the earliest so if do you think this is not to suspect about cancellation, it,s like a joke, from july 2004 at least 10 times i have heard that the approval and order was imminent last time just a few weeks ago they said that the approval was to be in april and again nothing, so this is because until i don,t see the ships sailing i don,t believe as you can understand.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
What is the point in being number one? If you cans still fullfill the missions you want to do it is totally unimportant if the french are slightly ahead in capabilities or not.

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think many recent events show that the RN can for fill the missions they need to carry out.

The CdG is limited as a carrier, but is by far the most powerful in europe, and outside of the US.

The UK was/is heading down the road of a shrinking force, and it is really really hard to rebuild that capability.

Jambo_100

I think many recent events show that the RN can for fill the missions they need to carry out.

The CdG is limited as a carrier, but is by far the most powerful in europe, and outside of the US.

The UK was/is heading down the road of a shrinking force, and it is really really hard to rebuild that capability.
yes the RN is shrinking but if the Gov' get their butts in gear and have the two CVF carriers built then the RN will still be able to keep its place as second best when it comes to power projection, currently the USN is first (no suprise there)

i think that our two invincible class carriers equal the power of frances one CdG. you have to remember that the RN have the best training in the world.

did you hear, the arab nations of the middle east are calling the USA, UK and israel a "triad of evil". :confused:

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
First France will also get a second carrier of nearly the same class like the british ones.

Second, could you please stop to announce "we are the best, we are 2nd, we have best training, etc." everytime in every thread?
Discuss facts and back them up by sources or personal experience.
How often have you trained with french sailors? How often have you seen the results of Franco-British naval exercises? How often have you seen french paras during hot missions? How often...?

Systems Adict

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Just to make this fact perfectly clear...

The UK CVF contract will not be announced, probably till AT LEAST the week after the May 3rd elections in Scotland.

This is because of an agreement called a "pardour period" (Hope I've spelt it correctly), where no contracts involving the Gov't. can be announced, in case it is seen as a provocative act to swing voting in favour of the government.

On top of that, sources within BAE & VT, say that they have "got their acts together", regarding the UK Shipbuilding Industry Consolidation, meeting the requirements that the government laid down.

In otherwords, it's a done deal. These ships are gonna be announced, so let's wait till about the 10th of May to see.

Systems Adict

perfectgeneral

10th May - 2017

I hope that the 10th of may is a good guess for manufacture maingate approval. Even so I expect it will be 2017 before we see a CVF in service with the RN.

yes 2017 and in the meantime the r.n. will have 1 invincible carrier ready to fight without air cover (sea harriers withdrawal) hms illustrious, with ark royal as an lph and invincible mothballed and scrapped by 2010 very good perspective for potential enemies of britain, they know that is no longer possible in 10 years to mount an operation simi lar to the falklands campaign but this what british politicians made with so many cuts in the armed forces.