The Indonesian Army

Arji

Indonesian Defense Vloger put video on the signing of Licensing Agreement between Czech Group and PINDAD for Pandur II. At least this is already contract agreement for licensing production.
Another forum said this includes the FSV variant with the 105 (even the video said Pandur 8x8 FSV), I thought it was rumored to be discontinued?

I hope this one has a lot of interest from user, especially the marines as they really need standardization and modernization.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
thought it was rumored to be discontinued?
Yes, that's why it's still rumours. No confirmation from TNI-AD whether they are still interest with 105 8×8. However so far the initial order not included. Still we don't know whether the licensing agreement included this type, or it's only based model licensing and Pindad open to build their own version.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Post 2 of 2: The TNI becoming a modern army for the 2030s & beyond
…while 105mm will be focus to with the medium Tank.

I have not seen official TNI-AD position, however seeing that initial Pandur II order related to APC version, perhaps those rumours have some ground. Providing mobile Infantry concepts seems taking more priority. Perhaps they also find putting 105mm in Pandur II chassis bit too much.
3. A 105mm armed medium tank is far better than a 105mm armed 8x8; as TNI-AD’s 8x8 are better off carrying infantry, armed with anti-tank weapons to hide in restricted terrain against a capable enemy. By way of reference, the SAF’s Terrex equipped battalions (that are for mobile battles over a long distance), have:
(a) retired it’s 84mm RR and replaced them with Spike SR (with a range of 1.8km) as a company level anti-tank support weapon (for A, B & C companies); and​
(b) adopted the Spike LR (with a range of 5km), which is used by the ATGM platoon of Support Company. This is anti-tank weapon of choice in the infantry battalion.​

4. If you look at what is happening in Ukraine:

(a) wheeled mobility is needed to (i) run from the king of battle (artillery) and (ii) avoid encirclement by the enemy; and​

(b) forces can move long distances to fight. US and UK are supplying Ukraine with MANPADS, like FIM-92 Stinger missile and a ton of anti-tank weapons, like the FGM-148 Javelin, to attrit Russian forces.​

Like Ukraine, Taiwan has invested in 8x8s, anti-tank missiles to keep moving in the event of a PLA invasion.

Last edited:

Sandhi Yudha

Some years ago there was an MoU signed between Kongsberg and Pindad. The rumor was that Pindad would licence produce the M153 Protector RCWS for its armoured vehicles like the Anoa.
Whats the status of the plan/program? Is it canceled or are the Protectors later directly delivered from Norway?

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Pindad doing test on part of Factory Acceptance Test with their Medium Tank JV with Turkey FMSS. The test already been done with the latest Prototype model, where the frontal slope already been modified.

240222_Firing_Test_Harimau_41.jpg

So far it's seems TNI-AD only want to use big gun on medium tank platform. No other test being done with other platform so far.

the status of the plan/program? Is it canceled or are the Protectors later directly delivered from Norway?
Pindad already build their own facilities for automated weapon platform. Those including turrets and RCWS.

However they're engaging several potential partners for RCWS. So there's no official information whether their MOU partnership with Kongsberg will turn into full licensing agreement. Like with Pandur II, the MOU already happened several years ago, but licensing agreement only happens recently.

Arji

Pindad doing test on part of Factory Acceptance Test with their Medium Tank JV with Turkey FMSS. The test already been done with the latest Prototype model, where the frontal slope already been modified.
It's officially production model now if it's at a FAT stage. Is this the first unit completed out of the 18 unit of the first batch?

I heard the Army leadership is not to keen on these tanks, why though I have no idea. I hope that they stick with this tank, it's a decent product for what it's design for. It might be slightly more expensive but it's the price for some expansion of domestic manufacturing capabilities. With this, Pindad planned to take a lot of projects. Apart from being the nation small arms manufacturer, they are making Anoa APC, Komodo Utility vehicle, the planned Pandur 2 (If this doesn't replace the Anoa line), and Kaplan MT. Do they have the ability to cope with it without a hit in production output and/or quality?

Last edited:

Ananda

The Bunker Group
this the first unit completed out of the 18 unit of the first batch?
I believe this's still the prototype. However seems this's going to be closer to production model.

heard the Army leadership is not to keen on these tanks, why though I have no idea.
Too much speculations from on line sources now. There are speculations and rumours of:
1. Some says the army want more MBT,
2. Some says the army tend to have more IFV,
3. Some says the army want bigger gun,
4. Some says the army already satisfied enough.

Too much speculations, but we will now for more if there's production line already within Pindad. When that happens, it's going to be committed line. The production # will increase proportionately, as we already see happen to other line.

Do they have the ability to cope with it without a hit in production output and/or quality?
What I'm more concerned of is the the production line capacity. Pindad industrial complex is not that big. If we compared to production line of Japanese or Korean car makers in Indonesia alone, Pindad Automative facilities still like a small workshop compared to them. Even with Mercedes Benz facilities in Wanaherang or BMW ones in North Jakarta (which's much smaller compared to Toyota or Daihatsu facilities), Pindad facilities can't be say bigger then those European car makers ones.

Pindad can't invest on bigger facilities without more capital from Government. They can't justify that also if they still depend on Government order. For that like other SOE defense industry, they can only work on batches as happens now.

Some Indonesian defense enthusiasts talk on small order of #18 as prove that the Army has not really buy in on Medium Tank concept. For me, I see it more as Pindad capabilities only can work on batches of production between several lines they are planning.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Pindad FB shown more photos on the Factory Acceptance Test on the 105mm Medium Tank. As whether the turret can be equipped for bigger gun, cockerill practically talk in their sites, the turret being design for both 105mm and 120mm.

Last edited:

Arji

Pindad FB shown more photos on the Factory Acceptance Test on the 105mm Medium Tank. As whether the turret can be equipped for bigger gun, cockerill practically talk in their sites, the turret being design for both 105mm and 120mm.
It might not be preferable to change the gun to 120 mm. Other than adding weight, it may also reduce the ammo capacity compare to 105 mm, and that's assuming the hull can take the extra weight. For all we know, they never intended to put 120 mm in there, and thus they didn't design the hull with upgrade in mind.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Well, the Polish put 120mm Cockerill on 8x8, which is lighter then this Medium Tank. I do believe the design still can handle 120mm Cokerill gun.

Still PINDAD and FMSS place 105mm more to TNI-AD preference. Cockerill just shown their turret designed for both 105 and 120 mm.

In the end, it will be back to TNI-AD preference and operational environment concept for this Medium Tank.

Sandhi Yudha

The last of nine ordered Bell 412EPI is delivered to Penerbad of the Indonesian Army. From which i understand these helicopters are not built under licence but arrived completely built up from the US (by ship?).
No news about IPTN's other projects like the N219 or Elang Hitam.

Last edited:

Ananda

The Bunker Group

From Keris FB which shown latest short video from Pindad on latest Prototype iteration for their JV Medium Tank with FNSS. On previous post I put link from Cockerill site on the capabilities of their turret to handle both of their 105mm and 120mm gun.

Quite interesting that 105mm being choose on this medium tank being 'rumours' related to Pindad large caliber production so far up to 105mm. However latest MoU with French Nexter also on 120mm gun ammo production.

Is this only for Leo2 or later on they also going to put 120mm on this Medium Tank, will be interesting to see.

Sandhi Yudha

It's the new army camo they showed during the recent RAPIM, what do you think?
Personally i prefer the standard TNI-camouflage. Its proven to be effective. Hopefully the new camouflage pattern is created because its even better, not because "we didn't have our own pattern" (pure ego).

(Warning: too many popping up advertisements here below)

Last edited:

Ananda

The Bunker Group
New Camo is better then old fashion jungle camo that they have before. Question will be if this is going to be implemented throughout rank soon or not.

Finding new set up uniform already long way process for TNI-AD.

images (4).jpeg

This TNI-AD SAKTI uniform that being put forward during SBY era. However politics play in this matter, even on choosing uniform.

Last edited:

Ananda

The Bunker Group
raider_kostrad__penkostrad_.jpg

Kostrad already used different uniforms pattern then SAKTI. Problem is SAKTI was brainchild of SBY son, Agus Yudhoyono (AHY). That's why I say Politics play the part even to uniform choosing.

The new uniform (call NKRI uniform), is brain child of Andika Perkasa (current TNI Chief), when he was still TNI-AD chief. So potentially still got political momentum to be implemented as standard.

Add:
Both photo come from Google sources.

ChestnutTree

I don't really hate the new pattern, I think the Multicam base design is superior to a lot of patterns. But I think this weird fascination of putting however many patches you can fit onto a uniform really needs to go. Half of those uniforms is more patch than camouflage at this point.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Well, those patches are in Brass uniforms. I suspect the average line officers and soldiers will not having many patches. Think of it, they put patches is still better then putting a lot off medal decorations.

I have a high school friend which now already one star in TNI-AD. Once I talk to him (during high school reunion), why you guys like to bring that 'command' stick. He says to me, personally I don't like it. However many of the seniors still insist on that tradition. He says it is an old tradition originated from KNIL times.

The idea to put many medal decorations also originated from KNIL times, and seems hard to left behind within officers corps. So if they change from medals to patches, at least in my opinion is already step forward.

Anyway forgot to put it here, this already few days old on Pindad FB pages.

FB_IMG_1646122618707.jpg

Seems they already put it the prototype on different camo configuration. It is more fitting for tropical jungle environment.