The Baltic region - future influence and power

Status
Not open for further replies.

backinbusiness

The power landscape in the Baltic region has changed dramatically since the fall of the Soviet empire. Russia has been pushed back to borders that existed in the 17th century. The entire region enjoys a huge economical growth. New alliances are shaping, old alliances are deepening. But what next - likely scenarios that affect military thinking and the main influence in the region?

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I've blogged about this a couple times.

Essentially, there won't be much change, at least in the next 10 years.

Much change from the power structures that continuously evolved post-Cold-War that is, visible already in the late 90s, with a tentative German-Russian pseudo-alliance with Denmark and Finland sort-of-in-the-boat dominating the Baltic, local powerhouses, i.e. Sweden and Poland, independantly pursuing only their own local agendas, and the Baltic Shield nations not being important to any of the others, other than as economic/military dependants.

Ths

Banned Member
First of all: It should be noted, that the Baltic states are now fully integrated members of Nato, not only political. It means that their forces have changed from a regional defence to a frontline Nato defence.
They have forsaken the burden of airforces - which is an economical thing to do and concentrated on light infantry - which they according to all evidence do very well.

As I see it: Germany is to concentrate on central Europe - primarely being the backup to Poland. Denmark will in charge of the Baltic Sea whith Germans and Poles having coastal defence of their coast - thus eliminating a dublication of effort.

Finland is the big question mark, as it controls the opposite coast of the inlet to Sct. Petersburg.
How does Sweden fit: Simply, they don't.

Rythm

The biggest problem for germany is that it should be everywhere at the same time. Being one of the biggest european countries many smaller nations expect germany to bear a rather large share of the burden of security. Problem is, as always these days, funding.

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
In Germany, there's an increasing pressure by the military on politics to allow it "interior use". This drive is particularly focused for the Navy, which wants policing power in the German Territorial Waters and EEZ.

Additionally, there's some drive at further integrating the German Coastguard, which per se is only a "joint effort" by five or six Federal Agencies so far. In particular, the Coastguard - or rather, its members for it - is building new patrol ships now, which will completely take over the North Sea EEZ patrols.

This is relevant to the Baltic insofar as those Coastguard units currently operating in the North Sea will largely be shifted to the Baltic Sea in the next 1-2 years. When this shift is complete, the German (politically "non-existant") Coastguard's deployment in the Baltic Sea alone will equal the navies of the Baltic Shield nations in ships and their sizes.

There is currently a drive at not just modernization/replacement of existing units - that's the case in Sweden and Finland and Denmark - but also towards actually increasing the numbers of heavy-armed units in the Baltic - in particular in Germany and Poland. In comparison to five years ago, anyway.
See the upgrade of Polish pure-patrol boats (the same class that the German Coastguard also uses) to missile FACs with RBS-15, and the five German new corvettes.
The Russians - so-so, either way. Depends on how well the 20380 project, and the Lada will work out.

The three Baltic Shield nations seem to lack the money to take part in this game really. They are heavily dependant on foreign military aid, in particular lately from Norway, but also Poland and still from Germany.

Regarding airforces - there are only three serious airforces around there. Russia, Germany, Sweden. Four dozen F-16 in Denmark and Poland (in the future) each, five dozen F-18 for Finland. Not really comparable. Forget about them, realistically.

The following in particular for Ths:

- Germany and Poland, so far, don't really work well together. Outside NATO, anyway. Blame the Kaczynskis. We'll see if the new guy will manage to change that.
- Denmark, realistically, has become an auxiliary to NATO, in particular operating closely with Germany in Naval matters (see recent maneuvers as well as current operations).
- Poland seems to have some problems regarding the age of their ships - in particular the "new" OHPs they got from the USA, apparently not very well-liked (FFG-9 and FFG-11 were originally commissioned in 1980). The rest of their navy, in particular that Tarantul, isn't in much of a better state.
- The Baltic Shield nations' navies were using donated ex-East-German equipment until it literally fell apart, now switching over to donated 40-year-old Norwegian patrol boats, some without weapons. Not a nice picture.

Dalregementet

Bit tired of these "intelligent" comments from our danish friend...

First of all: It should be noted, that the Baltic states are now fully integrated members of Nato, not only political. It means that their forces have changed from a regional defence to a frontline Nato defence.
They have forsaken the burden of airforces - which is an economical thing to do and concentrated on light infantry - which they according to all evidence do very well.

As I see it: Germany is to concentrate on central Europe - primarely being the backup to Poland. Denmark will in charge of the Baltic Sea whith Germans and Poles having coastal defence of their coast - thus eliminating a dublication of effort.

Finland is the big question mark, as it controls the opposite coast of the inlet to Sct. Petersburg.
How does Sweden fit: Simply, they don't.
Your last remark in not serious. Why do you bother to put in the above if you can´t produce a more intelligent conclusion?

An integration with Nato, also "politically" doesn´t mean that each nation has their own interests and that that also has an impact on who they cooperate with and in what way. The Swedish defence is one of the major one´s in the Nordic region and all "players" in the Baltics have that in mind. Germany, politically, has a energy deal with Russia that has angered their neighbours, i.e. the Baltic states, Poland, Finland and Sweden. The presence of a russian pipeline on the exclusive economic zones of Finland, Sweden and Denmark and guarded by the russian baltic navy has not been good for Germanys image and casted doubt of how much you can trust Germany. Sweden on it´s side is doing everything it can to block the building of the pipeline and my prediction is that Sweden can and will block the Nord Stream pipeline. It will never be built, not in the Baltics anyway. It will be built on land, through the Baltic states and Poland. Denmark is totally sidelined in this question, suporting the pipeline but are not in the talks with Sweden, Finland, the Baltic countries and Poland.

The Swedish No to the Nord Stream pipeline will be a political blow for Russia and an embarresment for both Russia and Germany. Why do I mention this? Because it shows how the polical cooperation looks like in the Baltics and there´s always a military dimension to a political dimension.

Denmark has a quite little influence in the Baltic region, politically and economically and therefore also military. The Baltic states rely on Nato as such not in particular states such as Denmark, Poland etc.

You mention that Denmark will "be in charge" of the Baltic sea... with what? Most danish ship are outdated, no stealth technology whatsoever and easy prey for antiship missiles. Are you thinking that the "Flyvefisken" ships will dominate in the Baltics...:rolleyes: or are you thinking on the Barsø-class :eek:nfloorl: ? The Swedish Visby class are totally superior.

Quote from an article in Jane's about HMSS Helsingborg, a Visby class ship "Even without the stealth optimisation planned for the SP project, Elofsson added, it can be said that the signature reductions achieved on the Visby class have been impressive.

"The crew of Helsingborg experienced this during their transit through the English Channel when they were contacted by the UK radar surveillance centre at Dover who picked up the ship's AIS transponder signal, but did not see the corvette on radar despite the fact that Helsingborg did have some radar reflectors deployed to artificially enhance its radar cross-section." In order not to compromise safety, the ship decided to put up additional radar reflectors, Elofsson claimed, while Dover issued a radio warning to all ships in the area about the presence of the stealth ship."
. Link to more info about Visby: kockums.se/SurfaceVessels/visby.html

The air forces in the Baltic region are the most important factor and here we only have three air forces that are credible, the Swedish with Gripen, the Finnish with F18 and the German with Tornado. The old vintage F16 A/B's that are operated by Poland, Denmark and Norway are not credible.

Sweden and Finland are creating joint air control centers so there is where you have the fighting power in the Baltics. 150 Gripen aircraft and 60 F18 plus Erieye and air refueling capabilities. The Swedish aircraft will be equipped with Meteor and Iris-T with Amraam and sidewinder as reserve alternatives.

Grand Danois

Entertainer
And there is also a political dimension to the military, which sets the boundaries for what a nation can do. In this case Denmark has more influence with a smaller military than Sweden. That's what a NATO membership (and a history of not recognizing Soviet annexation of the Baltic States) does for a country.

And this can be seen from actual defence projects and integration going on in the region.

Anyhow, wrt the Nord Stream Pipeline, my bets are that Sweden will approve it. The real concerns are actually in the environmental sphere rather than in direct security - Russia can't use it as an argument to deploy their Baltic fleet into the Swedish EEZ. I've heard several non-Swedish commentators say that they would wish that Sweden toned that part of their argument down, as they lose credibility on it. ;)

Btw, NATO has had joint air control centres for some time now. It is good that Sweden and Finland are starting to do the same thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Operations_Center#Active_AOCs

FYI the responsibility of Norwegian mil airspace will be transferred to CAOC-1 (Finderup, Denmark) Feb. 29, and UK airspace will be transferred Aug. 1, which means that NATO airspace from Svalbard to the Baltic Sea area will be managed from a bunker in Denmark. ;)

That's what NATO looks like - decades of deep integration.

Re the F-16 as not credible. Pure BS.

Last edited:

Dalregementet

And there is also a political dimension to the military, which sets the boundaries for what a nation can do. In this case Denmark has more influence with a smaller military than Sweden. That's what a NATO membership (and a history of not recognizing Soviet annexation of the Baltic States) does for a country.

And this can be seen from actual defence projects and integration going on in the region.

Anyhow, wrt the Nord Stream Pipeline, my bets are that Sweden will approve it. The real concerns are actually in the environmental sphere rather than in direct security - Russia can't use it as an argument to deploy their Baltic fleet into the Swedish EEZ. I've heard several non-Swedish commentators say that they would wish that Sweden toned that part of their argument down, as they lose credibility on it. ;)

Btw, NATO has had joint air control centres for some time now. It is good that Sweden and Finland are starting to do the same thing.

FYI the responsibility of Norwegian mil airspace will be transferred to CAOC-1 (Finderup, Denmark) Feb. 29, and UK airspace will be transferred Aug. 1, which means that NATO airspace from Svalbard to the Baltic Sea area will be managed from a bunker in Denmark. ;)

That's what NATO looks like - decades of deep integration.

Re the F-16 as not credible. Pure BS.
I guess "CPH" stands for Copenhagen. Regarding "BS", says more about you than me! Many danes, when they talk about Sweden, has a difficulty to hide centuries of grief over lost territories and bad performance in real battle. I´m glad that you have "a bunker" in denmark, enjoy!

Regarding your old vintage F16's, they don´t match their latest russian counterparts and most people agree on that.

Regarding the Nord Stream pipeline, Russia through it´s intermediaries in Zug, have already started to complain to EU over the Swedish review process - they have started to understand where the ball is rolling... The environmental card will be used because it´s the only available - but the real matter is security, influence and denying Russia incomes from selling gas.

You don´t seem to be updated about Swedish politics and Swedish mentality since you bet on that Sweden will approve. Let´s see who´s right.

Last but not least. In what way have Denmark gained more poiltical and economical influence because of a Nato membership. Show me one singel decision where that has mattered?

Industry wise, I appreciate danish agriculture and beer, we get a lot of products from danish (pig) farmers but that´s all... No state of the art defence equipment that can make a difference in combat.

Grand Danois

Entertainer
I guess "CPH" stands for Copenhagen. Regarding "BS", says more about you than me! Many danes, when they talk about Sweden, has a difficulty to hide centuries of grief over lost territories and bad performance in real battle. I´m glad that you have "a bunker" in denmark, enjoy!

Regarding your old vintage F16's, they don´t match their latest russian counterparts and most people agree on that.

Regarding the Nord Stream pipeline, Russia through it´s intermediaries in Zug, have already started to complain to EU over the Swedish review process - they have started to understand where the ball is rolling... The environmental card will be used because it´s the only available - but the real matter is security, influence and denying Russia incomes from selling gas.

You don´t seem to be updated about Swedish politics and Swedish mentality since you bet on that Sweden will approve. Let´s see who´s right.

Last but not least. In what way have Denmark gained more poiltical and economical influence because of a Nato membership. Show me one singel decision where that has mattered?

Industry wise, I appreciate danish agriculture and beer, we get a lot of products from danish (pig) farmers but that´s all... No state of the art defence equipment that can make a difference i combat.
You disregarding F-16MLU's and Polish block 50/52's tells a great deal. You making an ad hominem even more. I don't give a dang about Skåne etc. Address the issue instead of pretending to know my motifs. Particularly, cut the insults.

We got the Baltic States recognized; got them into EU; into NATO. Sweden had no power to do any of that.

Re Nordstream. You referring to a Swedish proxy debate doesn't give a clue to the process going on. Sweden can technically and formally deny it, but they will do it by the book and approve. Politically/int'l relations there isn't a real choice.

Btw, was looking for a Swedish orbat on JAS-39. I can only find 4 sqns (divisioner) comprising ~20 fighters each for a total of 70-80 Gripens in Swedish service. This seems to be consistent with the budgetunderlag 2006 & 2007 which cut the numbers of Gripens to 100 of which 28 are leased to Hungary/Czech Rep. for that total of 70 JAS-39. Is that how it was implemented?

EDit: Ahh, besides the four combat sqns there are also two training sqns at F7 making up for the last 20-30. As per 11/07 Sweden operated 84 Gripens in total.

In other news: Sweden will have to buy its armoured vehicles abroad since the Hägglunds SEP got axed yesterday. ;)

http://www2.mil.se/sv/Nyheter/Nyheter-milse/Materielprojekt-stalls-in/?from=headlines

Last edited:

Dalregementet

You disregarding F-16MLU's and Polish block 50/52's tells a great deal. You making an ad hominem even more. I don't give a dang about Skåne etc. Address the issue instead of pretending to know my motifs. Particularly, cut the insults.

We got the Baltic States recognized; got them into EU; into NATO. Sweden had no power to do any of that.

Re Nordstream. You referring to a Swedish proxy debate doesn't give a clue to the process going on. Sweden can technically and formally deny it, but they will do it by the book and approve. Politically/int'l relations there isn't a real choice.

Btw, was looking for a Swedish orbat on JAS-39. I can only find 4 sqns (divisioner) comprising ~20 fighters each for a total of 70-80 Gripens in Swedish service. This seems to be consistent with the budgetunderlag 2006 & 2007 which cut the numbers of Gripens to 100 of which 28 are leased to Hungary/Czech Rep. for that total of 70 JAS-39. Is that how it was implemented?

EDit: Ahh, besides the four combat sqns there are also two training sqns at F7 making up for the last 20-30. As per 11/07 Sweden operated 84 Gripens in total.

In other news: Sweden will have to buy its armoured vehicles abroad since the Hägglunds SEP got axed yesterday. ;).
----------------------

Regarding the Polish F16s, I guess they can afford them including the maintenance...:)

Grand Danois, I think you are carried away in some nationalistic euforia. Who are "we"? Are "we" denmark? If the the things you state is true then it is quite remarkable! I take my hat off for denmark! You say that denmark (quote):
* got the Baltic States recognized
* got them into EU
* got them into NATO and
* that Sweden had no power to do any of that

Quite an achivement! All by your own... Because you don´t mention any other state involved and Sweden had absolutely nothing to do with all that?

I hope you know that Sweden is also an EU-member? I think that many people raises their eyebrows when they look at the list of the danish "achivements". Ok - so Denmark is the most influential country in the Baltics besides russia and Germany? I don´t think so. Maybe that´s the danish perception and I have no ambition to change that perception whatsoever.

Regarding Nord Stream there are alternatives. The Polish premier minister will be in Moscow this week to discuss them with Mr Putin. And I hope that the russians listen very careful so they can avoid the embarresment of having a Swedish No to the pipeline.

We also have planes in store and reserve pilots that train frequently - no big deal.

Regarding the SEP, projects are scrapped and then they sometimes reemerge - has also happened before. You seem happy over the news about the SEP... I hope you appreciate the CV90's that denmark has bougth from Hägglunds ;)

Grand Danois

Entertainer
Regarding the Polish F16s, I guess they can afford them including the maintenance...:)
Begs to relevance plus F-16 and Gripen are in the same class nonetheless.

Grand Danois, I think you are carried away in some nationalistic euforia. Who are "we"? Are "we" denmark? If the the things you state is true then it is quite remarkable!
Excellent! - More ad hominem. Nope, was written in a hurry so it was conversational mode.

I take my hat off for denmark! You say that denmark (quote):
* got the Baltic States recognized
* got them into EU
* got them into NATO and
* that Sweden had no power to do any of that
"Got them into EU" was the result of a hasty reply. The correct is: Got EU to recognize them as independent states, which is outside the power of Sweden. (Who was not a member at the time ;))

Quite an achivement! All by your own... Because you don´t mention any other state involved and Sweden had absolutely nothing to do with all that?
With above correction, that is correct. ;) The precise phrase would be instrumental; a role Sweden could not play.

I hope you know that Sweden is also an EU-member? I think that many people raises their eyebrows when they look at the list of the danish "achivements". Ok - so Denmark is the most influential country in the Baltics besides russia and Germany? I don´t think so. Maybe that´s the danish perception and I have no ambition to change that perception whatsoever.
Strawman. I didn't contend Denmark is the most influential. I am highlighting how security policies and their effect is not a function of own absolute military might - which you do contend. ;)

Denmark was able to project the political power of NATO and EU at the critical time.

Regarding Nord Stream there are alternatives. The Polish premier minister will be in Moscow this week to discuss them with Mr Putin. And I hope that the russians listen very careful so they can avoid the embarresment of having a Swedish No to the pipeline.
We'll just have and wait to see how that one pans out.

We also have planes in store and reserve pilots that train frequently - no big deal.
Yet the orbat is 84 going towards a 100 when all have been delivered - not the 150 you prev alledged. There are some other issues wrt expanding an air force close to a 100 percent, but that is not the topic here.

Regarding the SEP, projects are scrapped and then they sometimes reemerge - has also happened before. You seem happy over the news about the SEP... I hope you appreciate the CV90's that denmark has bougth from Hägglunds ;)
I certainly do appreciate the CV90s Denmark bought. I believe it was the best choice and a great piece of kit. And I do think sweden in some fields make great weapons.

But Sweden is currently not and will certainly not in the future be able to use an independent arms industry as geopolitical leverage. It has simply become too expensive and Sweden is too small to have the portfolio needed for that. Countries like Germany and Russia can. And that is what we are talking about here, right?

And no, not happy for it. Had tagged it for other use wrt some of the other members of the boards.

Last edited:

Dalregementet

Begs to relevance plus F-16 and Gripen are in the same class nonetheless.

Excellent! - More ad hominem. Nope, was written in a hurry so it was conversational mode.

"Got them into EU" was the result of a hasty reply. The correct is: Got EU to recognize them as independent states, which is outside the power of Sweden. (Who was not a member at the time ;))

With above correction, that is correct. ;) The precise phrase would be instrumental; a role Sweden could not play.

Strawman. I didn't contend Denmark is the most influential. I am highlighting how security policies and their effect is not a function of own absolute military might - which you do contend. ;)

Denmark was able to project the political power of NATO and EU at the critical time.

We'll just have and wait to see how that one pans out.

Yet the orbat is 84 going towards a 100 when all have been delivered - not the 150 you prev alledged. There are some other issues wrt expanding an air force close to a 100 percent, but that is not the topic here.

I certainly do appreciate the CV90s Denmark bought. I believe it was the best choice and a great piece of kit. And I do think sweden in some fields make great weapons.

But Sweden is currently not and will certainly not in the future be able to use an independent arms industry as geopolitical leverage. It has simply become too expensive and Sweden is too small to have the portfolio needed for that. Countries like Germany and Russia can. And that is what we are talking about here, right?

And no, not happy for it. Had tagged it for other use wrt some of the other members of the boards.
------------------------------------

Thank you for the corrections :)

Future influence and power in the Baltic region will very much depend on economical influnce and the ability to project political power as well as military power. There´s a risk that Nato weakens due to conflicts of interest, less solidarity between Nato members and a economical decline for the US in conjunction with an economical boom for russia and china. It might be difficult to get the US to pay attention to what happens in the Baltic region if they have more urgent matters in middle east, taiwan/china and south america (venezuela with neighbours).

Regarding a US decline, that has already started and I think the US, politically, has never been as weak as now since WWII. Nato solidarity is crumbling and Germany's refusal to support the US, Canada, Netherlands, Australia and Denmark in the fight in the southern part of Afghanistan is devastating for the alliance. I think Germany and Nato will pay dearly for that...

Norway might also face an economic decline due to less demand for oil - the Norwegian government has said that it might be that they can´t sell the oil as long as they have expected, even if the oil fields still remains...
How much money will Norway be able to spend on arms in the future?

On top of that you have a green house effect that might turn southern europe and nothern africa a difficult place to live in. This will affect the economics for the whole of EU and you might get large flows of climate refugess - where to?

So, it will be more difficult to project Nato military power due to a weakened US, a weakend EU and less economical resorces.

What will be critical for the Baltic/EU economies, the basis for their military power, and for their future influence are: Raw material, technical know how, energy resources, industry/production capability and high tech, food production and space. Russia has a lot of the above. Their industry is right now not competitive and their energy resources are dirty but they have raw material, food production and space/room.

As said, military resources and power will depend on all above because that is what finances weapons and training. Norway Finland and Sweden have all the above though Norway lack the broad industry base - I´m not counting the oil & gas industry now. Denmark lack raw material, "green" energy and a broad industry basis. Space/room, well yes if we count Greenland but I don´t think we should, so it´s a no.

I think that gives a hint on future power and influence in the BAltic region.

Sweden, as for all countries in the EU, will no longer be able to develop state of the art weapons systems on their own but that´s already a fact. I agree on that. The new Meteor missile are developed by a number of countries in cooperation. The question is, which countries are qualified to be a partner in these programs? Swedish arms industry have already adapted to that situation with great success. Saab sells more than ever but most of the sales is export. Also, a new industry for our defence industries are civil security and in that area, Saab is extremely well prepared.

Regarding the Swedish stance on the Nord Stream pipe line - the one that never will be built :D I can recommend the following reading "“Policy networks and Nord Stream.” It´s worth reading if you understand Swedish :) and you can find it on: add www before...;)

.diva-portal.org/kau/abstract.xsql?dbid=917

The document gives a few answers to why Sweden will say no to the Nord stream pipeline. There are more reasones. One is that it will increase Swedish influence in the baltic region. Why do you ask? Well, Sweden, Finland, Poland and the baltic countries are in intense talks in how to coordinate their resistance to the pipeline and no other country besides Sweden has the actual power to stop it. The Nord Stream consortium must have a yes from Sweden in order to start the work. The other countries depend on Sweden in that case and the intense talks and cooperation, of course, brings these countries tighter together.

Besides that, Sweden doesn´t want Russia to get more revenues from selling oil & gas, revenues they partly use for more arms or for buying natural resources in other countries. Sweden want´s to decrease EU dependance on russian oil & gas in order to decrease russian political influnce over EU. Cheap russian oil & gas will also slow down a turn in EU to more environmental friendly energy resources.

What can russia do about this. Well not much. They can bash swedish companies in russia like IKEA and Ericsson but that won´t change Sweden's stance. Germany will not put pressure on Sweden in this case for many reasons. Germany need Swedish support in other matters in the EU. Besides, the only thing that is important for Germany is to get the gas and they will. A land route for the pipeline to Germany will only cost half the price compared with one in the baltic sea and that is what Poland is proposing. If the Poles give russia a good offer, then a no will be difficult for russia to motivate and even more difficult to explain. Also, where will russia take the Shtokman gas, if they can´t sell it to Europe - nowhere! If you look on where that gas field is, the only probable customer is europe - they are not going to build a pipeline to china for that reason :) The pipeline will be built on land, passing through the baltic countries and poland on it´s way to germany. All this will delay the whole project for at lest two years - with a price on 400$ per 1000 cubilc meter that will be lost revenues of about 43 BUSD :)

So, Sweden has all to gain, especially influence, and relatively little to loose. The russian loss will be less the quicker it goes for a land based pipeline but I think that Putins ego will prevent that :D

Last edited:

Grand Danois

Entertainer
Thank you for a considered an well thought out reply. :)

Future influence and power in the Baltic region will very much depend on economical influnce and the ability to project political power as well as military power. There´s a risk that Nato weakens due to conflicts of interest, less solidarity between Nato members and a economical decline for the US in conjunction with an economical boom for russia and china. It might be difficult to get the US to pay attention to what happens in the Baltic region if they have more urgent matters in middle east, taiwan/china and south america (venezuela with neighbours).
re US capability to project mil power. They are as great as ever in absolute terms. True, relatively they face pressures from Asia etc.. This will only be diluted in case the US enters a prolonged war in SEA. Not likely. Russia is simply not going to match the threat that USSR posed.

The US does not need a physical presence in the Baltics, as the their influence in the region is as a power in being. The de facto drawdown of US mil power in Europe has been a fact for a decade now, however their interests wrt Russia hasn't changed, ie interests and political influence has not one away. This will remain, as it is a matter of will of the regional states (Denmark, Estonia, Lativia, Lithuania, Poland in particular) and the US. It is clear that the newest eastern NATO/EU members does seek their core security in NATO (and to a lesser extent EU for softpower protection), and *not* in formal bilateral alliances with neighbours.

The US is relevant to discuss as it is the ultimate guarantor of NATO military capability. Because NATO is the only credible guarantor of security in the region. In operational terms, all high intensity warfighting capability is politically, de jure and physically vested in NATO. No other entity has the ability to deliver this. The EU is decades upon decades from being able to deliver any such package.

Which is why Eastern Europe went straight to NATO for security and didn't go non-aligned or chose other bi- or multilateral approaches.

That being said, in wider terms, the US is investing less in Europe and EU will have a more significant role to play. However I note that on the political level, if Afghanistan is a credibility killer for NATO, then it is even more so for the large EU members.

This begs the question: is Afghanistan relevant as an indicator of the strength of the core mission of NATO? I would contend not, as succes of the A'stan is so extremely marginal on the security horizon of the countries in the region wrt core security. ISAF was Europes gift to the US post 9/11.

Regarding a US decline, that has already started and I think the US, politically, has never been as weak as now since WWII. Nato solidarity is crumbling and Germany's refusal to support the US, Canada, Netherlands, Australia and Denmark in the fight in the southern part of Afghanistan is devastating for the alliance. I think Germany and Nato will pay dearly for that...
American Cold War influence in Europe was a function of a belligerent and powerful Sov Union. A resurgent Russia will increase US relevance as that power in being. The only alternative on the distant horizon is the EU, as no country in the region has the power to guarantee each others security.

Mr. Gates letter to the German defmin was a grave mistake; he should not be asking for something he is obviously not going to get, though it may please elements of the US admin and Congress. Much to my surprise, as Mr. Gates is supposed to be one of the clever boys in the incumbent US admin.

Nonetheless, A'stan is ultimately (and even less than in a wider NATO context) not a test of NATOs role in the Baltic region. I point to that the most high profile continental Europe particapants in A'stan are - Denmark, Poland, Lithuania, Estonia, Latvia!

As per the Ellemann-Jensen Doctrine. ;)

The Ellemann-Jensen doctrine is a Danish idea specifically aimed at promoting small countries' ability to gain influence in the world order.

The doctrine is not a written document but rather inspired by the former Danish Foreign Minister Uffe Ellemann-Jensen's term of office in which he promoted the notion that a small country can gain influence by supporting those greater countries that share the same values and ideas, which the small country itself embraces.

[...]

The Ellemann-Jensen doctrine is thus, that a small country - like Denmark - can affect world politics through successfully building alliances to promote its foreign policy goals. An unstated implication of this is obviously that a small country should therefore also be willing to adopt and support the goals of its allies in a quid pro quo (something for something) for them supporting its own goals.

[...]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellemann-Jensen_doctrine

I know UK and Holland (plus Canada) is playing an extremely important role too, but they were already extremely Atlanticist (like Denmark).

Basically when a nation has to survey for a security constellation to work with, that potential arrangement has to be able to deliver. NATO, because it can deliver the full package in the military end of the spectrum. And can do so credibly.

Norway might also face an economic decline due to less demand for oil - the Norwegian government has said that it might be that they can´t sell the oil as long as they have expected, even if the oil fields still remains...
How much money will Norway be able to spend on arms in the future?
If the oil in Norway was to disappear, they might face a situation where GDP/capita could drop to Swedish levels.

The current trend is that demand for energy is on the increase and will continue to increase.

Fossils can only partially be replaced by renewables/alternatives, as the renewables, despite getting cheaper to produce, do hit a point of dimishing returns (applies to wind & solar power, biomass). Transportation fuels are going to be very hard to replace. Some of the alternatives are not politically viable in many countries (nuclear power). Reality kicks in, as opposed to a sound bite for the purpose of shaping opinion in Norway.

I note that Norway has one of the largest sovereign wealth funds on this planet.

So I have absolutely no worries on behalf of Norway.

On top of that you have a green house effect that might turn southern europe and nothern africa a difficult place to live in. This will affect the economics for the whole of EU and you might get large flows of climate refugess - where to?
I think this getting a bit far flung. ;) Malthus.

So, it will be more difficult to project Nato military power due to a weakened US, a weakend EU and less economical resorces.
Nope. NATO military power is primarily vested in the region by virtue of the locals, and backed by the US/W Europe as a power in being.

What will be critical for the Baltic/EU economies, the basis for their military power, and for their future influence are: Raw material, technical know how, energy resources, industry/production capability and high tech, food production and space. Russia has a lot of the above. Their industry is right now not competitive and their energy resources are dirty but they have raw material, food production and space/room.
I disagree. Globalisation has kicked in plus EU relative power is on the increase. Some of your examples has always been an issue, others have not. Despite this European nations and Europe as a whole have had no problems in becoming important power(s). Malthus has been disproved over and over again.

As said, military resources and power will depend on all above because that is what finances weapons and training. Norway Finland and Sweden have all the above though Norway lack the broad industry base - I´m not counting the oil & gas industry now. Denmark lack raw material, "green" energy and a broad industry basis. Space/room, well yes if we count Greenland but I don´t think we should, so it´s a no.
Ignoring Greenland would be a very selective thing to do, but for the sake of argument ok. Here's the thing: having the raw materials on your territory is not important. Having acces to raw materials is. Hence Denmark as an example is in no worse position than Sweden is.

Wrt to industry base. I have already contended that it is only important if you have the entire portfolio. Sweden does *not* have that today. Swedish defence industry is de facto on its way to becoming a subcontractor to a consolidated European market. Industry base is not important geopolitically (unless you can deliver the entire package, Swedish defence industry is primarily a commercial operation) - having acces to technology and defence product is - and the best way to ensure that is through an alliance system.

As Sweden is weak on alliances and does not have a truly independent arms industry, it would be unable to deliver a complete security package to countries threatened by a power like Russia.

I think that gives a hint on future power and influence in the BAltic region.
IMV your arguments are way too one-dimensional. The focus on industry base and raw materials for countries the size of Denmark and Sweden is all wrong, when both lack the critical mass anyway. ;) The limiter is not those.

Sweden, as for all countries in the EU, will no longer be able to develop state of the art weapons systems on their own but that´s already a fact. I agree on that. The new Meteor missile are developed by a number of countries in cooperation. The question is, which countries are qualified to be a partner in these programs? Swedish arms industry have already adapted to that situation with great success. Saab sells more than ever but most of the sales is export. Also, a new industry for our defence industries are civil security and in that area, Saab is extremely well prepared.
Yes, I expect Swedish defence industry will do well.

Regarding the Swedish stance on the Nord Stream pipe line - the one that never will be built :D I can recommend the following reading "“Policy networks and Nord Stream.” It´s worth reading if you understand Swedish :) and you can find it on: add www before...;)

.diva-portal.org/kau/abstract.xsql?dbid=917

The document gives a few answers to why Sweden will say no to the Nord stream pipeline. There are more reasones. One is that it will increase Swedish influence in the baltic region. Why do you ask? Well, Sweden, Finland, Poland and the baltic countries are in intense talks in how to coordinate their resistance to the pipeline and no other country besides Sweden has the actual power to stop it. The Nord Stream consortium must have a yes from Sweden in order to start the work. The other countries depend on Sweden in that case and the intense talks and cooperation, of course, brings these countries tighter together.
Nice read. Here is the thing. It confirms that the enviro review is a proxy. Policy networks that establish legitimacy for decision making are only relevant if the ultimate decisions are actually made on basis on values or normative power. They rarely are. Otherwise they are a proxy. That is fine, but they are weighed against realpolitik. The "system" has to accept it. When Sweden has to make a decision, it also has to consider the yardstick by which it will have its own projects measuered and if it restricts its own ability to maneuver. By restricting others on basis of an essentially normative power NGO argument, they create a Damocles sword for themselves. And Sweden is aware of this.

Making a poor argument can return as a boomerang anytime.

Proof is in the pudding. My bets are on that raison d'etat will kick in. Btw, except for a flaring station off a Swedish island, the environmental concerns seem to have been met on the technical level. The pipes have been ordered.

Besides that, Sweden doesn´t want Russia to get more revenues from selling oil & gas, revenues they partly use for more arms or for buying natural resources in other countries. Sweden want´s to decrease EU dependance on russian oil & gas in order to decrease russian political influnce over EU. Cheap russian oil & gas will also slow down a turn in EU to more environmental friendly energy resources.
Agreed.

What can russia do about this. Well not much. They can bash swedish companies in russia like IKEA and Ericsson but that won´t change Sweden's stance. Germany will not put pressure on Sweden in this case for many reasons. Germany need Swedish support in other matters in the EU. Besides, the only thing that is important for Germany is to get the gas and they will. A land route for the pipeline to Germany will only cost half the price compared with one in the baltic sea and that is what Poland is proposing. If the Poles give russia a good offer, then a no will be difficult for russia to motivate and even more difficult to explain. Also, where will russia take the Shtokman gas, if they can´t sell it to Europe - nowhere! If you look on where that gas field is, the only probable customer is europe - they are not going to build a pipeline to china for that reason :) The pipeline will be built on land, passing through the baltic countries and poland on it´s way to germany. All this will delay the whole project for at lest two years - with a price on 400$ per 1000 cubilc meter that will be lost revenues of about 43 BUSD :)

So, Sweden has all to gain, especially influence, and relatively little to loose. The russian loss will be less the quicker it goes for a land based pipeline but I think that Putins ego will prevent that :D
Short on time, so only one comment. Russia would like to get the Shtokman field in order to prevent Europe from diversifying.

Last edited:

Chrom

I mean, read all this! And THEN some peoples still asks why Russia distrust West, why Russia need strong army, why all this is "zero sum game"...

As for Sweden and Baltic states... Alienate several MOST important EU countries - Germany, Italy, Spain, Greece at once over such selffish and stupid reason as "deny Russia oil incomes" - is not very wise.

What goes around comes around - and Sweden/Baltic states may find THEY vital interests blocked by Germany/Italy etc... Keep in mind, Baltic states are in very dire situation, they recive major EU help. I pretty much doubt they will risk all that no matter how "hard" they talk now.

Chrom

So many things have been discussed. What do you specifically think of?
Besides that, Sweden doesn´t want Russia to get more revenues from selling oil & gas, revenues they partly use for more arms or for buying natural resources in other countries. Sweden want´s to decrease EU dependance on russian oil & gas in order to decrease russian political influnce over EU. Cheap russian oil & gas will also slow down a turn in EU to more environmental friendly energy resources
And similar things in similar tone.

Besides, on EU place i would much more worry about how to secure and increase Russian sales of natural resource to EU. Becouse by all forecasts, there are not enouth of them even for growing Russian economic + growing EU economic - even if putting aside China, Japan and other asiatic countries demand... With all these short-sighted politic EU could find itself far, FAR more depended on Russian goodwill - if EU forces Russia to build piplines to China and Japan... there will be no comeback.

All these "alternative" energetic will just replace one form of dependence with other - while also slowing down economic growth and putting addidional strain on ecology. Becouse honestly, most "alternative" energy sources have more related pollution than "tradional" nuclear or even oil-related sources.

Last edited:

Grand Danois

Entertainer
And similar thing in similar tone.
But nothing wrong for EU to diversify their sources for energy. And it certainly doesn't have a high feel good factor to see money they pay for Russian energy go to arms at their borders, considering the rethoric from Moscow.

The enviro argument is correct seen from a CO2 perspective. Burning NG to produce electricity is not helpful, be the NG Russian or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.