Tactics in Vietnam

sark

The American Forces never lost a straight fight with the NVA/VC. Needed to add more Special Forces for fighting the VC. The VC use proper guerilla warfare on the American Forces which inflicted heavy casualties on US forces. The VC use the jungles to its benefit and had a better organize guerilla force. The VC tactic was well planned out and help cause confusion. The heavy use of underground bunker help NVA/VC in this conflict. The American search and destroy had some success but could have been improve if used the right way with more special unit design for the jungle environment. Overall the mistake the US made in Vietnam has caused the US to change it tactic and Afghanistan is prime example of this new tactic which is working look at the casualtes.
..the USMC lost on 2 July 1967.....the NVA set a huge ''ambush''..they decimated a whole company/etc......the USMC lost that fight......now, when they brought in reinforcements, the next day/etc, then the NVA took more casualties .....
..also at the Ia Drang LZ Albany the NVA kicked some a$$.......
..remember, the US had HUGE advantages: airpower and choppers/naval/ etc---the NVA did well against the US
..the USMC considered the NVA worthy adversaries
..MACV SOG lost a lot of Spec Forces....

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
..the USMC lost on 2 July 1967.....the NVA set a huge ''ambush''..they decimated a whole company/etc......the USMC lost that fight......now, when they brought in reinforcements, the next day/etc, then the NVA took more casualties .....
..remember, the US had HUGE advantages: airpower and choppers/naval/ etc---the NVA did well against the US
I suggest that you research the Ia Drang battles properly. The NVA losses were well in excess of the US Army 1/7th Cavalry and they were forced to withdraw from the mountain. So if anyone kicked arse it would be Lt Col Hal Moore and his battalion. I have the book by Hal Moore and Joe Galloway on that battle and it is well worth the read. IIRC the NVA casualties were around 2,000 kia and many more wounded. Also the NVA force was a Regiment from memory.

sark

I suggest that you research the Ia Drang battles properly. The NVA losses were well in excess of the US Army 1/7th Cavalry and they were forced to withdraw from the mountain. So if anyone kicked arse it would be Lt Col Hal Moore and his battalion. I have the book by Hal Moore and Joe Galloway on that battle and it is well worth the read. IIRC the NVA casualties were around 2,000 kia and many more wounded. Also the NVA force was a Regiment from memory.
wrong--the NVA kicked butt at LZ Albany ....I suggest you research it properly

sark

and you are missing the key issues= the US had Naval and MASSIVE air advantages = the NVA did well considering

Larry_L

Those are a lot of allegations without any supporting links. Would you like to provide something to back up your arguments?

Mainframe

Content deleted for posting without providing sources.

Poster permanently banned for continual failure to abide by the rules.

Last edited by a moderator:

old faithful

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
at all levels there were some impressive tactics used by all sides during the Vietnam war.

Operation "Eldest Son" was a good one.
See more here.