Stryker Fighting Vehicle

extern

How does that give you a minimal amount of dead space, its a rather piss poor design on Russias part, your infantry has to get out on the side of a vehicle that will not offer alot of protection while dismounting.
When dismounted the Russian infantry appears behind a wide side-wall of BTR. Whether it's better if they were stuck after the narrow back of Striker?

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
When dismounted the Russian infantry appears behind a wide side-wall of BTR. Whether it's better if they were stuck after the narrow back of Striker?
A wide side wall? the back exit of a Stryker is alot wider, plus you don`t have the exposer level of exiting from a side of a BTR series.:)

rrrtx

I heard they are making them from old Merkhava Mk 1 hulls.

It's a beautiful thing, IMHO.

While I'm thinking of it - why don't the Israelis put automatic cannon (20mm+) in a turret on any of their APC? They typically have multiple MMG and maybe a HMG. Most other countries seem to be going to even larger caliber (35mm-40mm) guns. Any theories anyone?

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
They have not the same doctrine of mobile combat like many other countries.

For them the infantry just needs battle taxis to get them to the frontline and no IFVs to make them able to work together directly with the tanks.

If this is the right approach is questionable in my eyes especially when I look at the recent Lebanon campaign where lonely tank packs suffered from their lack of infantry support.

rrrtx

The Israelis also seem to have an emphasis on armoured superstructures with bulletproof vision blocs allowing better protected observation from within the vehicle.

My assumption is that they are more geared for fighting irregular troops in an urban environment. If they were engaging another armored formation I think they would miss having a 25mm cannon and some TOW missiles to reach out and touch someone at long distances.

extern

the back exit of a Stryker is alot wider, plus you don`t have the exposer level of exiting from a side of a BTR series.:)
It is questionable... Depending from the tactics how the vehicle put itself against the enemy fire. Also the floatability characteristic is undisputed for the Euro-Asian theater, and the backward position of the engine - is the only place affording that to be safely due to better mass-equilibrium. OK, it's compromising soln of course, let us wait for better one...

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I heard they are making them from old Merkhava Mk 1 hulls.

It's a beautiful thing, IMHO.

While I'm thinking of it - why don't the Israelis put automatic cannon (20mm+) in a turret on any of their APC? They typically have multiple MMG and maybe a HMG. Most other countries seem to be going to even larger caliber (35mm-40mm) guns. Any theories anyone?
They are testing different chain guns on them also, they seem to like the Bushmaster 2.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
It is questionable... Depending from the tactics how the vehicle put itself against the enemy fire. Also the floatability characteristic is undisputed for the Euro-Asian theater, and the backward position of the engine - is the only place affording that to be safely due to better mass-equilibrium. OK, it's compromising soln of course, let us wait for better one...
Okay.:)