Stryker Fighting Vehicle

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I have heard that the Strykers were supposed to have the capability to fire accuratly while still moving. Is that true? Are they really armored well enough to see front line combat or are they just "bauses" to get soldiers near the front?In reality how fast can they move when fully loaded and full of soldiers?
Yes they can fire different weapons platforms while in a offensive posture.
Vehicle use in frontline use has limitations.
Isn`t all IFV battle taxis.
Over terrian movement is alot slower than road movement.

rrrtx

This seems to me to be a critical point in determining how successful a design is. Troops would be unlikely to like a vehicle that they didn't think could do the job well and keep them reasonably safe in the process. Good visibility and the ability to work in relative comfort and therefore higher efficiency would both, IMO, assist with survivability. Liking their vehicles must also assist with crew confidence and morale, both of which should improve fighting efficiency.

Cheers
Heavy armoring and crew comfort need not be mutually exclusive. I would argue that you can have both of these features in a design if you want it.

In my view we went into Iraq with vehicles that were too lightly protected. We then scrambled to add armor to the humvees, cages to the Stykers, etc. Our planning gave us vehicles insufficently protected. Field experience led to the addition of protection.

I can't think of a single example where troops were inprovising a reduction in armor protection in the field.

I'm not just talking about Iraq. Look at the Israeli affection for the heavliy armored Centurion tanks vs. the lighter AMX-13's and rebuilt Shermans. Or the Sherman vs. the Panther and Tiger at the end of WW2. In the field the soldiers want the heavy stuff.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Heavy armoring and crew comfort need not be mutually exclusive. I would argue that you can have both of these features in a design if you want it.

In my view we went into Iraq with vehicles that were too lightly protected. We then scrambled to add armor to the humvees, cages to the Stykers, etc. Our planning gave us vehicles insufficently protected. Field experience led to the addition of protection.

I can't think of a single example where troops were inprovising a reduction in armor protection in the field.

I'm not just talking about Iraq. Look at the Israeli affection for the heavliy armored Centurion tanks vs. the lighter AMX-13's and rebuilt Shermans. Or the Sherman vs. the Panther and Tiger at the end of WW2. In the field the soldiers want the heavy stuff.

Don`t blame the vehicles that we are losing in Iraq, blame it on the doctrin that is being followed, it doesn`t matter what type of vehicle you have in a urbanized setting, you are going to lose them, just like the Germans lost Tigers and Panthers, Russians lost massive amounts of heavy and medium armor taking German towns to a point that they were welding bed mattress springs to their tank turrets. All vehicles are designed for a purpose, you need light armor just as much as you need heavy, you just need to know how to fight with it properly. If the Stryker is so bad then why is Isreal purchasing them, in the last 60 years they have more experience than darn near everybody else in fighting in urban settings.:)

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Oh common extern.
You always want us to be totally objective about russian designs and I think we really try to do so.
And now you come with such a video. :confused:

What does it shows?
Nothing. :rolleyes:

rrrtx

Don`t blame the vehicles that we are losing in Iraq, blame it on the doctrin that is being followed, it doesn`t matter what type of vehicle you have in a urbanized setting, you are going to lose them, just like the Germans lost Tigers and Panthers, Russians lost massive amounts of heavy and medium armor taking German towns to a point that they were welding bed mattress springs to their tank turrets. All vehicles are designed for a purpose, you need light armor just as much as you need heavy, you just need to know how to fight with it properly. If the Stryker is so bad then why is Isreal purchasing them, in the last 60 years they have more experience than darn near everybody else in fighting in urban settings.:)
I'm not disagreeing with you on vehicles being deployed poorly. But do the troops really have a choice in which vehicle to deploy? Again the fact that we are slapping armor on the vehicles we are forced to used is a sure enough sign that we didn't have the right stuff in the first place.

Can't understand why Israel is picking up Strykers. I'm not sure how widely they will be used or in what role. I wonder if it isn't like the F104 fighter in Europe during the Cold War. It was widely adopted despite some serious shortcomings. Sometimes (or most of the time for smaller countries) weapon systems are acquired with political considerations in mind.

Isreal has arguably been the most aggressive adopter of the heavy APC. It's M113's are also being substantially uparmored. The Styker seems like a step in the opposite direction to me.

atilla

how easy

how easy to move realy heavy stuff ın the regıon lıke lets take an example of north ıraq ıt wont be easy logıcally to move heavy armored unıts that ıs why styker was more suıtable for mıd east condıtıons and ısrael never faced that much clash and resısdence lıke some facıng ın IRAQ at the moment there ıs no armored apponent to styker unıts ın ıraq but they look good ı personely belıve light is better .And that cage thıng ıs realy smart work but ın one of the pıctures was shown ın the forum stykers front was completly gone ıt seems ımposıble how troops survıved from that

Tasman

Ship Watcher
Verified Defense Pro
It strikes me strange how many people appear to believe there is only one way to skin a cat and that an army only needs one kind of vehicle. The Stryker was always intended to be part of an Army, not an end in itself. Sometimes armies need light vehicles, sometimes heavy ones. Sometimes, its not the army which arrives with the most but rather the army which arrives first, which wins the battle and if having a lighter (a relatively term BTW when talking about the Stryker IMO ;) ), wheeled APC allows that then it might be a good idea to have some. Which is also why its a good idea sometimes to have a heavy APC/MICV like the Israel and Russian vehicles already mentioned. They all supplement one another.
This makes a lot of sense rickshaw. A balanced force is important whether it be an armoured brigade, an air strike force, or a carrier battle group. No one vehicle, ship or aircraft can be designed that will be perfect for every role so we need complimentary assets.

You can't have a vehicle that has sufficient armour to meet all threats, and is also well armed, fast, comfortable, manoeuvrable, light and affordable. These things just don't all fit together. So designers have to look at the main requirements and ensure that the vehicle achieves those. After that as many other things can be worked in as possible. The important thing in deciding whether the Stryker is successful would be to look at what it was designed to do and then determine how successful it has been in that role. If problems have been found we should be looking at what areas can be improved without degrading its primary function? The addition of extra protection is a demonstration that that the army is doing just that.

Maybe with the benefit of hindsight the design of the Stryker could have had a greater emphasis on protection, but something (e.g. speed, weight, range, cost, firepower, etc) would have been compromised.

Cheers

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I'm not disagreeing with you on vehicles being deployed poorly. But do the troops really have a choice in which vehicle to deploy? Again the fact that we are slapping armor on the vehicles we are forced to used is a sure enough sign that we didn't have the right stuff in the first place.

Can't understand why Israel is picking up Strykers. I'm not sure how widely they will be used or in what role. I wonder if it isn't like the F104 fighter in Europe during the Cold War. It was widely adopted despite some serious shortcomings. Sometimes (or most of the time for smaller countries) weapon systems are acquired with political considerations in mind.

Isreal has arguably been the most aggressive adopter of the heavy APC. It's M113's are also being substantially uparmored. The Styker seems like a step in the opposite direction to me.
The thing is the troops really like the Stryker, if Israel did not feel that the Stryker would fit into their intended role, then they would not of purchased them, granted they have been able to convert Centurion hulls and excess T-55 hulls into troop carriers but this is a logistics nightmare for them and pretty soon they will run out of spare parts to keep them going. With modern anti tank weapons in circulation out there no one is immune as Israel has found out with the losses that they sustained going into Lebanon. Israel has always had high vehicle losses in urban area`s, Russia suffered high losses in Chechny going in with heavy armor, we are finding this out in Iraq where we are faced with a even more population mass than Russia or Israel has had to deal with. As Rickshaw mentioned, you have to have more than one type of vehicle because of the different battle scenarios that a countries army may face. For the U.S Army, the Stryker is long overdue, it is just to bad that it was thrown into a theater where we have no control over.:)

rrrtx

The thing is the troops really like the Stryker, if Israel did not feel that the Stryker would fit into their intended role, then they would not of purchased them, granted they have been able to convert Centurion hulls and excess T-55 hulls into troop carriers but this is a logistics nightmare for them and pretty soon they will run out of spare parts to keep them going. With modern anti tank weapons in circulation out there no one is immune as Israel has found out with the losses that they sustained going into Lebanon. Israel has always had high vehicle losses in urban area`s, Russia suffered high losses in Chechny going in with heavy armor, we are finding this out in Iraq where we are faced with a even more population mass than Russia or Israel has had to deal with. As Rickshaw mentioned, you have to have more than one type of vehicle because of the different battle scenarios that a countries army may face. For the U.S Army, the Stryker is long overdue, it is just to bad that it was thrown into a theater where we have no control over.:)
There are still plenty of T-55s floating around out there and the upgrade market for them seems pretty strong (take a look at the T-55AGM out of the Ukraine - it's quite a transformation, http://www.morozov.com.ua/eng/body/t55agm.php?menu=def2.php). I think getting spares won't be difficult for some time to come.

I understand what you are saying about having different vehicles for different situations. A variety of factors affect the selection of the appropriate transport. The Stryker would be great for UN peacekeeping missions or for use in a rapid deployment force establishing a fast immediate presence for example. But when the shooting starts I question their usefulness.

rickshaw

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Speaking of heavy IFVs, has anybody else noted the Jordanian Temsah heavy IFV?

It is basically a Centurion which has had its hull rebuilt backwards. The engine is now at the front and the crew compartment at the rear, and it has a ramp. It overcomes the problems other heavy IFVs have, with either the passengers dismounting over the side or having to traverse a narrow tunnel past the engine. It is IMO a clever alternative and creates a far better vehicle design.

rrrtx

Speaking of heavy IFVs, has anybody else noted the Jordanian Temsah heavy IFV?

It is basically a Centurion which has had its hull rebuilt backwards. The engine is now at the front and the crew compartment at the rear, and it has a ramp. It overcomes the problems other heavy IFVs have, with either the passengers dismounting over the side or having to traverse a narrow tunnel past the engine. It is IMO a clever alternative and creates a far better vehicle design.
I had mentioned the Temsah earlier in the thread. I'd much rather be putting around the battlefield in one of those than a Stryker.

I probably wouldn't get there quite as fast but I'd have a better chance of arriving intact I think.

B.Smitty

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I had mentioned the Temsah earlier in the thread. I'd much rather be putting around the battlefield in one of those than a Stryker.

I probably wouldn't get there quite as fast but I'd have a better chance of arriving intact I think.
Until you tried to put 20,000 miles on one in a year "putting" around Iraq and it broke down, wore out and strained your log system to the point where you had to take a truck everywhere anyway.

rrrtx

Until you tried to put 20,000 miles on one in a year "putting" around Iraq and it broke down, wore out and strained your log system to the point where you had to take a truck everywhere anyway.
As long as I came out in one piece I'd find a way to cope.

B.Smitty

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
As long as I came out in one piece I'd find a way to cope.
Your chances of coming out in once piece are much better if you're in a Stryker for the ENTIRE deployment, than if you were in a HAPC for a few months, and a truck or HMMWV for the rest of the year.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
The dead space of LAV-25, ASLAV-25 and LAV Coyote. The dream of RPGist :D
And the dead space on a BTR 80 or 90 series is better, and lets also throw in where Russians soldiers get to exit them from.:rolleyes:

extern

And the dead space on a BTR 80 or 90 series is better, and lets also throw in where Russians soldiers get to exit them from.:rolleyes:
The answer is very simple indeed: BTR has its infantry door on the side, where the visional 'dead space' is minimal.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
The answer is very simple indeed: BTR has its infantry door on the side, where the visional 'dead space' is minimal.
How does that give you a minimal amount of dead space, its a rather piss poor design on Russias part, your infantry has to get out on the side of a vehicle that will not offer alot of protection while dismounting.