Sources

Herodotus

I was wondering if posters here have recommendations on any sources for countries' relative military capabilities including weapons platforms. I have access to International Institute for Strategic Studies Military Balance and the new one is coming out in a few days, but just wondering if there are any better sources anyone can recommend. Preferably one that does not cost thousands of dollars :D and could be cited in an academic paper.

Thanks.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Moscow Defense Brief is a good one, and a lot of their articles are available for free (though some you have to subscribe for ) mdb.cast.ru

Janes is a good defense publication, though it does cost some money.

Herodotus

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Moscow Defense Brief is a good one, and a lot of their articles are available for free (though some you have to subscribe for ) mdb.cast.ru

Janes is a good defense publication, though it does cost some money.
Thanks, I'll take a look. I do have some access to Jane's but it is at my research facility, and thus cannot access it from home.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
What are you looking for more specifically? Things like calibre's of guns, and weight of tanks can be cited with a relative degree of accuracy from public online sources, like globalsecurity.org More specific things might require indepth digging. What countries, and what weapon systems are you interested in?

akghost

Although i'm not an expert in actual journals and sources, as I posted on what journals or conferences to submit to, I'd take Google Scholar for a whirl. It can pop up with interesting information and pertinent information and perhaps avail other Google products like Google Books; these may be too basic of sources but they're good starters and they're free!

Herodotus

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks guys I will check them out. I may have found what I was looking for though. :)