Sixth Generation Fighter

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlyDog

It might be tedious for the pilot behaps....but my comment about speed are just smaller issue in my mind for now. I spended more thouht around the rest of the text.

But let say a range at 1000 miles. Its a fairly long distance. Close to 4 hour in the air at subsonic speed.

Izzy1

Banned Member
It might be tedious for the pilot behaps....but my comment about speed are just smaller issue in my mind for now. I spended more thouht around the rest of the text.

But let say a range at 1000 miles. Its a fairly long distance. Close to 4 hour in the air at subsonic speed.
SlyDog You make a very valid point, speed is the key. I'll tell you something for nothing now - Half our pilots here in the Royal Saudi Air Force, know that they are already replaced by robots. The Un-Manned Air Combat Vehicle Technology already comming off the production line is fantastic. We're live deploying it to Iraq and Afghanistan. Our war is over, as we speak, Bin Laden is being chased by robots.

SlyDog

Izzy1: About development of UAV and UCAV in Saudi, I saw some site for few weeks ago. A site which presented a research institute for UAV/UCAV in Saudi.

I think Cybaero´s helicopter-UAV is for sell in Saudi.

Izzy1

Banned Member
Izzy1: About development of UAV and UCAV in Saudi, I saw some site for few weeks ago. A site which presented a research institute for UAV/UCAV in Saudi.

I think Cybaero´s helicopter-UAV is for sell in Saudi.

If it's on wheels/tracks from Sweden; we'll fund, develop and sell it. BV206, CV109 - in the meantime, your part of a global defence network xxx

Dr Freud

Yeah, i agree Alexa, i cant see how this even remotely contribute to anything, Sixth Generation Fighter or otherwise.

back to topic: when an attack aircraft cant be seen until within 20 km, you can drop a bomb at that range for christ sake!
With some planning, you can make an co-ordinated pre-emptive strike against all the other folks airbases, and you mite just be lucky enuff that noone even know it was you. "wasnt me, twas Al Queda/Jews/[Insert convenient scapegoat]":rolleyes:

Will there be an 6 gen fighter ? for what possible purpose ? they cant do anything cept being a target when they light up their radar in an futile attempt to see anything.

Anyone: convince me why i would waste a single $ on a fighter today, not even the much touted F22 can do anything but watching their bases and homeland being bombed into rubble.

Last edited:

Dr Freud

Slydog: if ADVENT can bring better fuel efficiency without increasing maintainance, it will be just as useful for civil aviation.

SlyDog

Slydog: if ADVENT can bring better fuel efficiency without increasing maintainance, it will be just as useful for civil aviation.
It seems to be hard to combine all good caracteristics in one and the same engine. But by the time its mayby possible to find an acceptable compromise, how knows.

Behaps a more "non-compromise" approach will be used for military purpose.

Dr Freud

There might be another similarity aswell: submarine warfare is often described as "a knife-fight in a telephone box" where both are likely to get torpedoed.

With ultra-long range AAM's, noone will want to light up their radar, as it will signal their presence, and result in getting shot at. So detection will be at close range, with either IR or visual. (My hunch is passive IR sensors and IR signature reduction will be the primary concern.)
Now with HMD and missiles with a 270 degree engagement envelope you dont need to even have your plane pointed at the other plane, perhaps when a missile is detected, a countermissile will be fired in that direction, much like a torpedo is fired back in the direction of attack.
forget what i said about helmet mounted display! noone in their right mind would want to sit in a plane under these circumstances.
It will have to be unmanned.

Last edited:

swerve

Super Moderator

With ultra-long range AAM's, noone will want to light up their radar, as it will signal their presence, and result in getting shot at. ....
It's hard to get a lock on a modern military radar, even non-AESA. They don't transmit continuously at a single frequency, to make it easy for you. Detecting a transmission is not enough to identify it as coming from a hostile radar, & identifying the radar is not enough to locate it as a target. You need to be able to identify it, locate it and track it, while it is (as part of its normal functioning) doing lots of fancy stuff to make all those things difficult.

Dr Freud

I'm assuming with networking, such as TIDLS and similar, it will be instantly obvious if its your buddies or not that are emitting, i'm also assuming they will triangle it in a matter of seconds.
The radar images of the other Gripen jets is superimposed on the MFD screen with or without its own radar turned on. Even jets on the ground has the same situational awareness and can select targets using data from jets many 100's of km away before even taking off.
I'm also assuming all gen 4.5 up has the same stuff.

I can agree tho that whoever neutral emitting here get to pay for being at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Last edited:

SlyDog

Thanks for the link Grand Danois. I thinking about how to combine stealth and good aerodynamics. I wonder - its mayby possible to use material which are "complitly" transparent or very "absorbitive" (?) in regard to radiowaves. This material is than applied in such way that the aeroplane have "two diffrent shape". One in regard to radar, an "another shapes" to get better aerodynamic characteristics.

Last edited:

SlyDog

I thinking about the VLO-consept and how it might effect on other things. Lets say "all" participators in a war are using VLO-platform. It would possibly end in a situation there target tracking never can be done on long distanse. It should have some impact on the armament...or?

Ozzy Blizzard

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's hard to get a lock on a modern military radar, even non-AESA. They don't transmit continuously at a single frequency, to make it easy for you. Detecting a transmission is not enough to identify it as coming from a hostile radar, & identifying the radar is not enough to locate it as a target. You need to be able to identify it, locate it and track it, while it is (as part of its normal functioning) doing lots of fancy stuff to make all those things difficult.
Through sensor fusion this can be countered to an extent, AN/ALR-67(V)3/4 on the F/A-18E/F can cue the AN/APG 79 on to the source even if its fleeting. I'm sure the same will be possible for the IRSTr to be intergrated.

SlyDog

What would be the criteria for the 6th gen fighter to distinguish it from 5th gen? I thought an interesting comment was "It could be unmanned, but I think you will see a combination of missions -- some manned, some unmanned." Perhaps fitted for but not with a Pilot? It seems the F-35A~C may not be the USAF's last maned fighter after all?

I would love to hear some opinions on this project.
Use of LADAR or LIDAR might be used for air fighter of 6th generation behaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.