Singaporean Leopard 2A4s debut in Australia

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
That's what I meant. IBD added their passive protection AMAP package to the joint venture with Rheinmetall which added additional gizmos to it.

Not a bad idea to offer such an alternative to the big market of Leopard II users.

Chino

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Still around and at least for next few years.
I thought so, too, what with all the reservists familiar with the AMX13 still serving.

But they're not in the NDParade lineup, from what I gathered in your list?

gary1910

I thought so, too, what with all the reservists familiar with the AMX13 still serving.

But they're not in the NDParade lineup, from what I gathered in your list?
That list was based on appearance in that vid, so that others who are not familiar with SAF will know what they are looking at, and there were quite a number of other vehicles that were not shown in that vid.

However, I read from NDP thread in Milnuts, SM1 will not be appearing in this coming NDP.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gary and OPSSG, side issue. What has happened to our indigenous light /medium tank project as reported by Janes several years ago? thanks
I agree with what you posted earlier and I believe that the role requirement for a direct fire platform in support of combined arms operations that was provided by the AMX-13SM1 is still there. Our infantry needs HE shells from the AMX-13 SM1 (it carries 38 rounds per tank) to defeat machine gun nests and other support weapons used by the enemy. Setting up a far fire base is an effective way of doing so. Therefore, I believe the effort to produce a direct support gun fire platform (possibly a 120mm solution for ammo commonality with the Leopard 2A4s) is still ongoing, though I have no links to support my belief. BTW, I've also started a picture thread to support this discussion here.

OTOH, the Leopard 2A4 EVO upgrades are the logical outcome of the discussions at SAF's 2003 Land Defence Asia Conference. In particular, I recommend reading MAJ Goh Si Mien's article, 'Thunder Runs: Panacea for Urban Operation?' IMO, the SAF's upgrades to the Leopard 2s, the BXIIs and the latest Terrex acquisition must be seen in this context.

Last edited:

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Does any of our Singaporean members know if the army plans to add an RCWS to the upgraded Leos?
I would have thought that with the clear focus on fighting in urban or otherwise restricted terrain against a most relatively light enemy force would make a RCWS a perfect addition.
Upgrading the independent commanders sight with a TI is also something I would have expected as this really enhances the search and track abilities against a multitude of targets.

BTW, I really like the look of the Leos on parade. The new armor gives them a brutish and mean look.

kotay

Does any of our Singaporean members know if the army plans to add an RCWS to the upgraded Leos?
I would have thought that with the clear focus on fighting in urban or otherwise restricted terrain against a most relatively light enemy force would make a RCWS a perfect addition.
Upgrading the independent commanders sight with a TI is also something I would have expected as this really enhances the search and track abilities against a multitude of targets.

BTW, I really like the look of the Leos on parade. The new armor gives them a brutish and mean look.
Mate, none of what you're asking is open source ... yet. Other than what CoA mentioned about "New fire control system for enhanced lethality".

But just for conjecture - there is no add-on armour applied to the turret roof on the current up-armoured platforms.

Perhaps there is no intention to?
Perhaps it is pending the new turret roof config with new Hunter/Killer sights?

STK/SAF is also starting to employ loads of RCWS, so again, no reason why this wouldn't eventually find it's way onto the Leo, if required.

If you go over to the local defence forum in Singapore, there are a ton of photos there. And yes, they are very handsome beasts indeed.

Red

Singapore keeps upgrading most of her equipment anyhow. I think we will see some more changes soon. Regarding the armour, I have always thought it is shaped in such a way so that active protection systems could be installed when needed, say, Iron-Fist. However, I am guessing here.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I expect it to have maybe provisions for the AMAP-ADS.

They want to make money after all. But it shouldn't be a problem to fit another APS. The nature of these systems dictates that they are very flexible.

Red

I expect it to have maybe provisions for the AMAP-ADS.

They want to make money after all. But it shouldn't be a problem to fit another APS. The nature of these systems dictates that they are very flexible.
AMAP-ADS has already been tested on the Bronco by IBD. So, no surprises there, if true. But I have a feeling it is from the middle east.

Red

Are the AMX13's well and truly gone?
Many years ago Janes did a report on a new light-medium tank development to replace the AMX-13s. That ST installed a 120mm OTO Melara turret on a bionix chassis in what was/is probably a replacement for the AMX-13 tanks. There were problems with planting a large turret on an IFV chassis admittedly. More or less the same problems faced by the CV90120T light tank; I think.

I do not think that project is dead. Either the problems are resolved like the CV90 systems or ST could have placed the turret on a totally new chassis which could be the future replacement for the Bionix IFV.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
AMAP-ADS has already been tested on the Bronco by IBD. So, no surprises there, if true. But I have a feeling it is from the middle east.
Wouldn't surprise me either. Singapore's good relations with Israel make Trophy or Iron Fist natural candidates for an APS procurement.

But so far Singapore contracted the Leo upgrades to German and Singaporean companies. Maybe they liked the work with IDB Deisenroth and want to foster this relationship. Such things matter alot, too.

KMW for example managed to show their worth to the Canadians by giving them excellent support for their leased Leo IIs in A-stan.

Maybe Singapore gets a discount as a good customer...;)

xtemujin

From the MINDEF Army News, September 2010, the uparmoured Leopard 2A4 that was showcased during the Singapore National Day Parade 2010 has been officially designated as Leopard L2-SG.

Page 13. http://goo.gl/tUsA

Red

From the same magazine edition, page 14. Not too bad for a bunch of conscript soldiers.

"Best Tank Crew” Shines in Friendly Shoot-Out

Shortly after completing their Leopard training in Germany, the soldiers from 3rd Coy, 48 SAR continued to hone their skills during an overseas training in Australia in September 2009. There, they faced the challenge of operating in a new terrain with unfamiliar targetry system.

More importantly, they also gained invaluable experience learning from the Australian Defence Force and the US Marine Corps when they participated in a friendly tank manoeuvre cum live-fire shooting event with the two established forces.

Doing Our Army proud was our tank crew comprising tank commander 2SG Andy Hoe, driver CFC Lim Hao Jie, gunner CPL Malcom Ong and loader, LCP Chiang Wen Jun - they performed impressively to bag the “Best Tank Crew” accolade. CPL Ong shared, “Honestly, we didn’t do anything special or extraordinary. We just put what we learnt into practice and carried out what we have been training for.”

Last edited by a moderator:

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
What could one expect with them hanimg trained in Germany. ;)

(I know a one liner but I couldn't resist...:D)

Red

What could one expect with them hanimg trained in Germany. ;)

(I know a one liner but I couldn't resist...:D)
Well. That`s true. German training is priceless. But considering that we have been operating MBTs(Tempests) for quite some time as mentioned by defence journals, I believe there are certainly other places we train and visit.

Last edited: