Singapore to acquire Leopard 2A4s

Whiskyjack

Honorary Moderator / Defense Professional / Analys
Verified Defense Pro
The main concern over L2 operations is the ground pressure. Ground is very soft in SE Asia + most bridges are not able to take 55 ton MBTs. That is likely to limit the area of operations that the L2s undertake.

I'm guessing one of the major considerations for the purchase is that the L2 is also operated by the Aus Army. This means that the tanks are likely to be stationed in Australia and training is likely to be held in conjunction with Australian forces under the FPDA.

Another consideration is probably cost. New bionixs are not that cheap either.

Singapore armour thinking is very much influenced by Rommel battle group concepts. In the operational context of Singapore, it is likely to form a single armoured spearhead to punch its way across enemy lines supported by AH64s (flying JU87s) and bridging assets, followed by Bionix 2s. Alternatively, it can also serve as a barrier to armour spearheads.

I doubt if the L2 will eventually replace all 350 SM1s because of the weight issue. I still think the bionix will still form the basis of future armoured support vehicles (probably mated with a tank gun). Just a question of time.
Ummm actually the Australian Army operates the M1...

FutureTank

Banned Member
Singapore armour thinking is very much influenced by Rommel battle group concepts. In the operational context of Singapore, it is likely to form a single armoured spearhead to punch its way across enemy lines supported by AH64s (flying JU87s) and bridging assets, followed by Bionix 2s. Alternatively, it can also serve as a barrier to armour spearheads.
SINGAPORE - Total Area 699 km² 270 sq mi
Wildflecken Training Area - 15,000 acres in Bavaria alone
1 United States survey acre is equal to:
4046.87261 square metres or 4km2

Singapore would be a definite 'squeeze' for Rommel's concepts :)

Big-E

Banned Member
SINGAPORE - Total Area 699 km² 270 sq mi
Wildflecken Training Area - 15,000 acres in Bavaria alone
1 United States survey acre is equal to:
4046.87261 square metres or 4km2

Singapore would be a definite 'squeeze' for Rommel's concepts :)
Agree... I thought they based their concepts on Israeli doctrine.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Yes, and I was surprised to be told that Singapore sees itself as 'Israel' of Asia!!!
Israel was very strongly involved in the setting up of the SDF. They are still involved across some projects.

They've been involved since the establishment of the Republic

Lonewolf

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Merkava's in SAF

I have heard it on the grape vine ( myself a member of SAF) that the SAF has Merkava's also, I don't know how thrue this is, but I am quite sure about it, as it is the talk of the town so to speak, with the engine being in front, no merkava crew men was ever KIA, airconditioning, space for the AI, the main gun is huuuge compared to our SM1's, etc... etc....

PS: message to ISD ( spore's internal police ), its very difficult to keep secrets in a consript army.

LazerLordz

Verified Defense Pro
The Merk story is something I have heard a hint of. But like any other tale, maybe best taken with a pinch of salt.

But you can never rule anything out.

MG 3

From what I know is that you need big open areas for tank warfare. I dont thik singapore has big open areas. So why?

contedicavour

From what I know is that you need big open areas for tank warfare. I dont thik singapore has big open areas. So why?
Good point. Unless Singapore plans to use them as fixed guns against potential amphibious invasions (a bit like the British tried to do in WW2 in Singapore... with the advantage though that you can turn around and shoot 360° :D )
Seriously, Singapore doesn't need such heavy MBTs to protect its small island. Though it could make good use of them in overseas peacekeeping/enforcing missions. Given the excellent training and equipment of the SAF, they should help more in peacekeeping !

cheers

knightrider4

Leo 2A4

I think a lot of people here underestimate the effectiveness of heavy armour in Jungle terrain. Australia used tanks with great success in Vietnam in supporting infantry and Singapore would be equally as effective.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
And taking this as a lovely drop zone for airborn enemies I would also like to have some heavy armor supported by Bionixs to break through them.
Shock tactics with fast advancing tank units are nice against fresh dropped troops.

About fuel consumption.

The real consumption of the Leo IIA4 is more about 5 Liters per km and rising when having to do with really heavy terrain.

I have heard it on the grape vine ( myself a member of SAF) that the SAF has Merkava's also, I don't know how thrue this is, but I am quite sure about it, as it is the talk of the town so to speak, with the engine being in front, no merkava crew men was ever KIA, airconditioning, space for the AI, the main gun is huuuge compared to our SM1's, etc... etc....

PS: message to ISD ( spore's internal police ), its very difficult to keep secrets in a consript army.
Do I understand this right that there rumors about Merkavas existing in the SAF?
I really don't believe this. Heavy armor assets just cannot be held as such a secret and then suddenly pop up during war.

BTW, there are enough Merkava crews being KIA. R.I.P.

swerve

Super Moderator
Good point. Unless Singapore plans to use them as fixed guns against potential amphibious invasions (a bit like the British tried to do in WW2 in Singapore... with the advantage though that you can turn around and shoot 360° :D )
Seriously, Singapore doesn't need such heavy MBTs to protect its small island. Though it could make good use of them in overseas peacekeeping/enforcing missions. Given the excellent training and equipment of the SAF, they should help more in peacekeeping !

cheers
I don't think Singapore has any intention of fighting on its own territory if it's at all possible to avoid. I believe they would expect to be fighting to defend Singapore in Malaysia, probably assisting the Malaysian armed forces. Or in Indonesia. Fighting in the the streets of Singapore itself would imply that the heavy armour had already been lost.