Should the Federal Goverment reintroduce the death penalty for terrorism?

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Them times have changed a bit. By the sixties the appeal process in the british type law countries had extended to two to three years and now we have the Yanks have it into the decades. I recently remember a small mention in my paper of someone in the States being executed after 33 years post conviction. This struck me as absolutely pointless, but then the yanks do like to have the biggest or longest of everything. The Morior custom is not to cause any death (except your own if you do some mad thing which the young men did to prove themselves) this comes from my wife and kids culture. If someone did cause a death they were banished and sutch was the strength of their mana that they would simply go away and die. Maori when they went to the Chathams could not believe how the Morior would if their mana was broken, simply die.
Get everyone onboard with this would save a hell of a lot of problems.
@Rob c Agree totally, especially regarding Moriori custom on Rekohu (Chatham Islands). Ngati Mutunga and Ngati Tama subsequent actions are despised by other iwi and they trampled their own mana in kuri (dog) crap by their actions. Moriori have great mana and wairua and I hope that your children etc., really understand and appreciate that. I really hope that Moriori manage to fully revitalise their language and culture. Tihei mauri ora.

I, am of a far north iwi and Irish with much intermingling of both within the wider whanau and iwi, which goes right back to the early 1800s. It would be fair to say that back in the day, and less so today, we had opposing philosophical outlooks to the Moriori. I am glad to say, that 200 years later, those philosophical views have grown much closer, with our views changing the most, although to be fair a lot of the inherent violence, the so called warrior gene, is now funnelled by Maori and Polynesians into sporting endeavours unless certain individuals decided to live lives of crime. Just looking at philosophical changes within my own iwi regarding war and peace, illustrates how attitudes and morals have changed over the intervening years, albeit in the case of Maori a drastic change occurred with introduction to and acceptance of Christianity by Maori from the early 1800s.

Rob c

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
@Rob c Agree totally, especially regarding Moriori custom on Rekohu (Chatham Islands). Ngati Mutunga and Ngati Tama subsequent actions are despised by other iwi and they trampled their own mana in kuri (dog) crap by their actions. Moriori have great mana and wairua and I hope that your children etc., really understand and appreciate that. I really hope that Moriori manage to fully revitalise their language and culture. Tihei mauri ora.

I, am of a far north iwi and Irish with much intermingling of both within the wider whanau and iwi, which goes right back to the early 1800s. It would be fair to say that back in the day, and less so today, we had opposing philosophical outlooks to the Moriori. I am glad to say, that 200 years later, those philosophical views have grown much closer, with our views changing the most, although to be fair a lot of the inherent violence, the so called warrior gene, is now funnelled by Maori and Polynesians into sporting endeavours unless certain individuals decided to live lives of crime. Just looking at philosophical changes within my own iwi regarding war and peace, illustrates how attitudes and morals have changed over the intervening years, albeit in the case of Maori a drastic change occurred with introduction to and acceptance of Christianity by Maori from the early 1800s.
The kids and grandkids are all full members of Te Moriori. The language is similar to Maori but with a additional ch sound and some other changes like whakapapa is hokapa, which caused some students to question my son in maori classes at college, The teacher was up to it and and corrected them as to the different words he was using's Moriori origins. not fluent though.

Stampede

A contentious subject.

I would not wish anyone to lose family or loved ones by the violent act of someone who's moral compass is not in line with the rest of the community.
Hopefully I like most will never be in such a position and as such like others are luckily not qualified to comprehend the true feelings of those who are left with a lifetime of loss.
So as a civilised society what do we do?
All I can say is that I would prefer to live in a society that does not have capital punishment than one that does.
The price to incarceration a murderous idiot for life is a small economic price,compared to what we lose as a society when we go down the dark path of capital punishment.
We need to be better and bigger as a civilisation than to resort to such primitive retribution, no matter how emotionally appealing such a form of justice carried out by the state is when the public are baying for blood

Regards S