Welcome to DefenceTalk.com Forum!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Self-defense options and needs from around the world

Discussion in 'Self Defense' started by Todjaeger, Oct 6, 2012.

Share This Page

1. John Fedup

John Fedup Well-Known Member

You are right on in your comments about the NRA and their supporters. We get the same crap in Canada as well, more actually because what happens is more visible to Americans what may like our gun laws. That being said, if I was living full time in the US, where there are probably more guns than citizens floating around, I would be inclined to have one in my house and without question in rural areas. Rural would apply for me in Canada if I were to move to a rural area.

2. Traveller

Traveller Member

Clearly I am the lone redneck here who has no problem with citizen owned centre-fire semi-automatic rifles. Leadership can be so lonely..... ;)

On a more serious note, what I find most frustrating is the simplistic bumper sticker jingoism that is common to both sides of the 'gun debate'. Informed discourse invites glazed eyes as the debate has become so polarised and emotive.

3. ngatimozart

ngatimozart Super Moderator Staff Member Verified Defense Pro

Yep, but having used semi auto & fully auto weapons namely FN L1A1 SLR 7.62 x 51 mm battle rifle, Sterling 9mm SMG, Browning 9 mm pistol, Browning HB HMG 50 cal, Steyr 5.56 mm rifle plus personally owned Lee Enfield No 4 Mk 1* .303 battle rifle and various family owned .22 rifles and shotguns, I have since the age of 18 never ever, seen nor understood the need for military style semi automatic weapons to be operated / owned by civilians.

4. John Fedup

“The need for military style semi-automatic weapons” is the heart of the issue. In certain parts of the world that need is real but for places like Canada, Australia, and NZ, zero need. The only reason for the US is the Second Amendment which has pretty much let the genie out of the bottle. I can’t see any way to removing hundreds of millions of guns already out there.

ngatimozart likes this.
  5. Traveller

Traveller Member

We are getting off track here as the thread was about self-defence requirements but I see personal values and beliefs overlaying the topic. Let me be clear, I support citizen ownership of centre-fire semi-auto rifles. This is about my passion for practical rifle shooting which is banned or limited here and many other places. I enjoy as a hobbyist such firearms. Hopefully I have seperated the need for ownership issue from the appropriate firearm in a given defensive scenario. So lets park that thought as it is off topic.

For defensive firearms there is no single answer in my opinion. Where I currently live I would not use a para-military carbine because of over-penetration risks to mine and neighbours. A 9mm with frangible ammo would be fine. To look at a defensive long arm here I would look to a 12g pump with No4 shot. We are talking tools in a tool-box. The tool most appropriate for the job.

A caveat here is what is legal may also determine the actual choice.

Your Token Redneck

6. John Fedup

I have to admit Australia’s ban on semi-auto and pump action shotguns is rather extreme IMO as these guns are valuable to bird hunters and are allowed in Canada as are semi-auto rifles. Losing the latter type (large calbre) to a ban wouldn’t bother me much.

7. seaspear

seaspear Member

In the state of Victoria section 462a of the 1958 crimes act states "A person may use such force not disproportionate to the objective that he believes on reasonable grounds to be necessary to prevent the commission continuance or completion of an indictable act or to effect or to assist in the effecting the lawful arrest of a person committing or suspected of committing any offence"
    Any force must not be disproportionate to the objective and would also require the person to know the difference between indictable and summary offences or face charges themselves.