Scottish Independence

swerve

Super Moderator
"Stronger together" would have frightened off some, & those who it would attract are probably voting "No" anyway.

swerve

Super Moderator
And the answer is -

NO!

55.4% No, 44.6% Yes with 31 out of 32 districts counted. Even if every vote in the last district is Yes, it's not enough.

It's over.

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member
A good chunk were concerned how their future tuition fees were going to be paid as right now they're paid by the sate but in the future?

Scotland wants more powers and that's grand, now Westminster should only allow MPs representing English constituencies on matters which affect only England.

Resistance to political interference works both ways . . . . .

KiwiRob

Scotland wants more powers and that's grand, now Westminster should only allow MPs representing English constituencies on matters which affect only England.

Resistance to political interference works both ways . . . . .
If the Scots get devo max the Welsh and Northern Irish will also want more say in regional politics. I'm really surprised the English have put up with having outsiders vote on purely English issues for so long, non English MP's should have no say.

KiwiRob

Scotland Rejects Independence as U.K. Wins Reprieve - Bloomberg

45% for independence..still a surge from what use to be less than third. It will be interesting to see where the young voters went on this. London now have huge task to come on the promisses..From what I gather..England and Wales aslo asking same fiscal treatment that London promisses to Scotland.
From what I heard on the news today it was the younger voters who carried it for the NO team, looks like Salmonds plan well and truely backfired. They were concerned aout higher education and jobs.

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member
If the Scots get devo max the Welsh and Northern Irish will also want more say in regional politics. I'm really surprised the English have put up with having outsiders vote on purely English issues for so long, non English MP's should have no say.
It's just how the system is set up, Westminster represents the whole of the UK and while Wales and Scotland at least (not sure about NI) have regional parliaments which can add another level of representation that doesn't exist for England, we've just got Westminster.

That's probably one of the big things which this thing has opened up, Cameron has said publicly that matters for England should be dictated by English MPs which any supporter of what the Yes campaign was trying to achieve cannot disagree with on any level.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
It's just how the system is set up, Westminster represents the whole of the UK and while Wales and Scotland at least (not sure about NI) have regional parliaments which can add another level of representation that doesn't exist for England, we've just got Westminster.

That's probably one of the big things which this thing has opened up, Cameron has said publicly that matters for England should be dictated by English MPs which any supporter of what the Yes campaign was trying to achieve cannot disagree with on any level.
The hangover from this cluster will be regional govt's demanding this or that from Westminster and Scottish politicians will continue to use the threat of separation to extract concessions. Welcome to the Canadian experience. After a generation of this BS in Canada, many non Québécois would just as soon see Quebec leave and save a fortune.

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member
Northern Ireland and Wales' First Ministers will probably demand the same powers as Scotland gets which - really - can't be disputed.

They're definitely in contact, it has been reported, so I expect that's what'll happen.

The plan is the no vote puts this issue to bed, although it will be brought up again in a few decades.

driftwood

(A long time lurker with not much to say)

It is kind of special to see the Scots do what only a small group of nations seem able to do: To answer and then abide by a very important decision by voting without resorting to weapons and hurting or killing anyone. There's a lot of places on this planet that could learn from this.

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member
Indeed, if anything Scotland pursuing this course will result in a better political system in the UK.

Cameron is fast tracking proposals to prevent Scottish MPs voting on things which only affect England and - surprise surprise - Labour are looking to block it as Scotland provides 40 Labour MPs (and I think 1 Tory MP) so cutting these off would make it harder to block future laws in the Commons.

As expected - Salmond resigns. Announced he will be stepping down as leader of SNP at next party conference to allow a new leader to come in and be first minister.. Huge loss to all..

Blackshoe

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
As expected - Salmond resigns. Announced he will be stepping down as leader of SNP at next party conference to allow a new leader to come in and be first minister.. Huge loss to all..
Shouldn't he also be hanged, drawn, and quartered, in keeping with time-honored tradition?/sarcasm

KiwiRob

SNP are a single issue party, now that that issue has been put to bed for couple of decades what use is there for the SNP, I expect to see them much diminished in the next Scottish election.