Scheduled Site Maintenance & Upgrade

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
We will be doing some forum maintenance, upgrades and clean-up in the next couple of days.

If for some reason you experience problems accessing and/or browsing the forums, please excuse us and try back again.

Thanks, enjoy!!!

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
DefenceTalk.com FORUM and GALLERY will be upgraded on SUNDAY, October 2nd, 2005.

The forums and gallery will be unavailable during the upgrade process (15-30 minutes expected down time).

The new forum software will have some exciting new features for all of us to enjoy and use:

http://files.vbulletin.com/3.5/ajax.html

Berserk Fury

Regarding your decision to ban email domains etc.
I'm fine with the first list though the second one troubles me.
A huge percentage of people use @yahoo.com | @hotmail.com | @gmail.com
Many people do not want to use email addresses provided by their ISP as it is usually a email account for private use. ( I see your point for doing so, but seriously, the number of people registering would go down by at least 70%)

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
Those domains (yahoo, hotmail, gmail) are being CONSIDERED but not banned and I don't think they will be anytime soon.

You are talking about this thread:

http://www.defencetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4146

If you read closely and very big and bolded letters, it says that those already registered are not affected. :)

These measures are only to control trouble makers... btw, why couldn't you comment about email restrictions in that thread? Just wondering!

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
WebMaster said:
DefenceTalk.com FORUM and GALLERY will be upgraded on SUNDAY, October 2nd, 2005.

The forums and gallery will be unavailable during the upgrade process (15-30 minutes expected down time).

The new forum software will have some exciting new features for all of us to enjoy and use:

http://files.vbulletin.com/3.5/ajax.html
This is done! Enjoy!

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
Due to extremely high loads of traffic today... We are looking into either moving up to a better server (upgrade on current host or change hosts if we find a better deal) so that we can accomodate future traffic spikes. DT today was very slow and unresponsive at times!

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
The MILITARY GALLERY and the DEFENCE NEWS sections will go through an update/upgrade during this week. The gallery may go down for 30 mins to 3 hours depending on which problem decides to visit us. ;)

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
WebMaster said:
The MILITARY GALLERY and the DEFENCE NEWS sections will go through an update/upgrade during this week. The gallery may go down for 30 mins to 3 hours depending on which problem decides to visit us. ;)
Gallery as announced earlier has been upgraded. Today, news page got its share of make over and will go through some minor changes (which you probably won't notice) in coming days.

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
moving to new server

Soon, both DefenceTalk, Global Talk Networks.com and SinoDefenceForum will move to new server (faster) to accomodate growing demand for both of the sites.

Here is what we will be on:

Dual AMD Opteron 248 (this is 2 processors at 2.2 ghz each... current is 1 amd athlon 2.0 ghz)
2048MB RAM (same as now)
73GB SCSI Drive (currently we have 2 SATA drives 80 and 40 gb, scsi will improve performance and speed))
2000GB BandWidth (currently, 1200 GB)
100 Mbps uplink port (currently we got 10 MB uplink port)

Price? Don't ask.

Last edited by a moderator:

bd popeye

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
SDF upgrades

Oh great and exhaulted Webmaster..;) ..Will there be any improvement to the posting of pictures in the military photo discussion? Because sometimes I can but many times I can not post pics in that thread. Today it caused my computer to freeze up..:mad This is not the first time as you may know. I have an earthlink DSL connection. Could that be the problem??? My problem only occurs in the world military photos discussions....:(

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
Well, the improvements will be on all fronts but since the pictures are linked from OTHER sites, it really depends how fast that site lets you download the pictures so you can see.

Supe

bd popeye said:
Today it caused my computer to freeze up..:mad This is not the first time as you may know. I have an earthlink DSL connection. Could that be the problem??? My problem only occurs in the world military photos discussions....:(
The problem is not your DSL connection. The only scenario I could imagine your DSL connection affecting system is if you used a USB modem. Google reveals Earthlink doesn't supply customers with USB modems though.

If you're using Internet Explorer as your browser, try Firefox instead and see how you go. Install is straight forward and if you don't like it, just uninstall it.

http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/ <- Firefox

What are your system specs? OS? Do you keep your OS (presumably you are on a Windows box) up-to-date with regards to patches/hotfixes?