Russia's Military Expansion

SASWanabe

European governments don't do much about anything these days. They are content with anything as long as they cash out their high salaries for doing nothing. Do you know of any European politician in government who has a vision of anything? Russia has proven their total impotence by taking Crimea and waging proxy war in Eastern Ukraine without any consequences, after the corrupt regime in Ukraine collapsed in the face of popular revolt (after having been shut out of EU trade because the EU is primarily about protecting the profits of domestic farmers from the very fertile competition of Ukraine). Western Europe has the economic resources to take care of themselves. It is just the political will to do so that is totally absent. And there is no organization for doing so ready today. The next US president doesn't seem keen on being the nanny state that protects unwilling European politicians.
i think you might of been looking for a different word in the bolded part. :eek:nfloorl:

impotent
ˈɪmpət(ə)nt
adjective
unable to take effective action; helpless or powerless.
"he was seized with an impotent anger"

(of a man) abnormally unable to achieve an erection or orgasm.
"he was on medication which had made him impotent"

Kirza_rus

Isn't this a great opportunity for Russia and Iran to conquer the Persian Gulf?
Russia is biggest country on Earth, its seeks no territory by conquer. Crimea was not a conquer, its was about history, culture and losing main military base in Black sea in Sevastopol.

We have no economical power for big operations, we are not Soviet Union with its economical power, Syria is already enough.

Tsavo Lion

Banned Member
The point is that for Russia, armed force is an essential if final resort of foreign policy. And Russia has proven willing to use it over the past decade.
- True, in response to Georgia's provocation & Ukraine's involvement
there while both could later host NATO bases, & since she has no one else to rely on to protect her interests. From their vantage point, w/o access to bases in Crimea, Syria, Cuba, & Vietnam her strategic depth will shrink to dangerously low level- her nuclear a/c carriers are many years away, if ever, while NATO has plenty of CVs/CVNs + bases around Russia's perimeter!
Saddam Hussein invading Kuwait didn't trigger a nuclear war, not even close.
Allegedly, as I was told by a sailor who's been there, the US had 2 Trident SSBNs in the Arabian Sea & was ready use nukes after warning Iraq against using chemical/bio weapons. Putin wants to look clean & unless directly attacked, will most likely provide only non-lethal support while Iran could use its proxies for sabotage, guerrilla style attacks, & own missile strikes if the goal is to make Saudis' loose more in Yemen, Bahrain, or at home & to raise the price of oil. The bigger question is how the new US president, who doesn't like the Nuclear deal, will deal with Iran even w/o all of the above!

Last edited:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
- True, in response to Georgia's provocation & Ukraine's involvement
there while both could later host NATO bases, & since she has no one else to rely on to protect her interests. From their vantage point, w/o access to bases in Crimea, Syria, Cuba, & Vietnam her strategic depth will shrink to dangerously low level- her nuclear a/c carriers are many years away, if ever, while NATO has plenty of CVs/CVNs + bases around Russia's perimeter!
Allegedly, as I was told by a sailor who's been there, the US had 2 Trident SSBNs in the Arabian Sea & was ready use nukes after warning Iraq against using chemical/bio weapons. Putin wants to look clean & unless directly attacked, will most likely provide only non-lethal support while Iran could use its proxies for sabotage, guerrilla style attacks, & own missile strikes if the goal is to make Saudis' loose more in Yemen, Bahrain, or at home & to raise the price of oil. The bigger question is how the new US president, who doesn't like the Nuclear deal, will deal with Iran even w/o all of the above!
That I doubt very much no sailor on a SSBN would ever say that - just saying. It was public knowledge and the US also stated it publicly that chemical & biological weapons were WMD and if used against them the US reserved the right to respond with WMD.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
We encourage robust discussion however we have expectations and requirements of such discussion being supported by verifiable facts from reputable sources. We have zero tolerance for those who attempt to repeat national propaganda or are trolls.

Last edited:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
European governments don't do much about anything these days. They are content with anything as long as they cash out their high salaries for doing nothing. Do you know of any European politician in government who has a vision of anything? Russia has proven their total impotence by taking Crimea and waging proxy war in Eastern Ukraine without any consequences, after the corrupt regime in Ukraine collapsed in the face of popular revolt (after having been shut out of EU trade because the EU is primarily about protecting the profits of domestic farmers from the very fertile competition of Ukraine). Western Europe has the economic resources to take care of themselves. It is just the political will to do so that is totally absent. And there is no organization for doing so ready today. The next US president doesn't seem keen on being the nanny state that protects unwilling European politicians.

$100 a barrel wasn't a catastrophy for the West. Actually, all European politicians say that high oil prices is GOOD because it saves the world from the non-existing global warming! I'm sure there are people here who can assess the ability of Western Europe to wage an all out war against Russia that starts tomorrow morning.

I don't think you need to worry about Pakistan starting a nuclear war against Iran and Russia because of them taking over Saudi Arabia. Maybe India would strike against them too if they start using their nukes in any way. A thousand nukes would be the sudden death of Pakistan and most Pakistani. Saddam Hussein invading Kuwait didn't trigger a nuclear war, not even close. Nor will an Iranian/Russian/Egyptian invasion of Saudi Arabia, now that their bought agent Hillary Clinton will not become president.
The level of thought and knowledge you bring to this discussion makes Tom Clancy look smart. Take out a map of the world, spend 20-30 minutes considering the structure and state of the Russian military, and then reconsider your scenario.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Allegedly, as I was told by a sailor who's been there, the US had 2 Trident SSBNs in the Arabian Sea & was ready use nukes after warning Iraq against using chemical/bio weapons.
I'm sorry to say, but that's just BS. I think your mate is being very cavalier with the truth - and I say that with a very very high degree of confidence as I'm pretty aware of what the US response options were if Saddam launched WMD

Alarma

The level of thought and knowledge you bring to this discussion makes Tom Clancy look smart. Take out a map of the world, spend 20-30 minutes considering the structure and state of the Russian military, and then reconsider your scenario.
As I've explained, Russia is present in Syria and the Mediterranean and seems to be allied with the greatest military powers in the region: Iran, Turkey and Egypt. Saudi Arabia's military does not seem to be very efficient at all, in spite of big numbers on paper. Saudi is also in financial problems and threatened by social unrest because of welfare cuts. Saudi has many enemies in the Middle East and now loses the friendship of the US. Russia has modernized its military for a decade and a half and has recently arranged huge drills on short notice. China and India don't seem interested or present in the region. The West is in disarray politically and has suffered total and humiliating defeat in the region and is hated and despised by exactly everyone in the ME.

I don't see what could stop Putin from taking the gulf oil, indirectly by installing an Iranian puppet regime there. Iran (and maybe Egypt) would do the job on the ground, Russia would give air support and use elite air born troops, and of course provide nuclear deterrence to keep the West from getting involved and escalate the conflict. I suspect that Putin has higher ambitions than bombing some ragtag little rebel group in an eternal local war in Syria. Oil is of existential importance to Russia, its economy has not diversified, the current situation is the worst kind of catastrophy imaginable for Russia, with Saudi Arabia dumping oil prices. Putin is about to lose power in a revolution and a Jeltsin type era of desperate poverty and weakness threatens to take over any day now. Putin has to act in panic now. But he seems well prepared for this scenario.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
As I've explained, Russia is present in Syria and the Mediterranean and seems to be allied with the greatest military powers in the region: Iran, Turkey and Egypt. Saudi Arabia's military does not seem to be very efficient at all, in spite of big numbers on paper. Saudi is also in financial problems and threatened by social unrest because of welfare cuts. Saudi has many enemies in the Middle East and now loses the friendship of the US. Russia has modernized its military for a decade and a half and has recently arranged huge drills on short notice. China and India don't seem interested or present in the region. The West is in disarray politically and has suffered total and humiliating defeat in the region and is hated and despised by exactly everyone in the ME.

I don't see what could stop Putin from taking the gulf oil, indirectly by installing an Iranian puppet regime there. Iran (and maybe Egypt) would do the job on the ground, Russia would give air support and use elite air born troops, and of course provide nuclear deterrence to keep the West from getting involved and escalate the conflict. I suspect that Putin has higher ambitions than bombing some ragtag little rebel group in an eternal local war in Syria. Oil is of existential importance to Russia, its economy has not diversified, the current situation is the worst kind of catastrophy imaginable for Russia, with Saudi Arabia dumping oil prices. Putin is about to lose power in a revolution and a Jeltsin type era of desperate poverty and weakness threatens to take over any day now. Putin has to act in panic now. But he seems well prepared for this scenario.
I would strongly recommend that you post some reputable verifiable links to substantiate these claims that you make. Unsubstantiated and inflammatory claims break the rules and causes Moderators ban hammer trigger fingers to itch quicker than free rum attracts sailors.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
As I've explained, Russia is present in Syria and the Mediterranean and seems to be allied with the greatest military powers in the region: Iran, Turkey and Egypt.
Dear lord, do you know what the word allied means? In what universe is Russia allied to any of those? There's a sketchy case to be made that Russia and Iran have an alliance in Syria but that's about it. Russia just finished removing sanctions from Turkey, and has a decent relationship with Egypt based mainly on strategic trade. Nothing even close to an alliance.

Saudi Arabia's military does not seem to be very efficient at all, in spite of big numbers on paper. Saudi is also in financial problems and threatened by social unrest because of welfare cuts. Saudi has many enemies in the Middle East and now loses the friendship of the US.
What's this now? Where has Saudi lost the US?

Russia has modernized its military for a decade and a half and has recently arranged huge drills on short notice. China and India don't seem interested or present in the region. The West is in disarray politically and has suffered total and humiliating defeat in the region and is hated and despised by exactly everyone in the ME.
Except for the Gulf Petro states which are very friendly with the US, Turkey, which is in NATO, and Israel which is one of the most powerful military forces in the Middle East.

I don't see what could stop Putin from taking the gulf oil, indirectly by installing an Iranian puppet regime there.
Taking it with what? Again. Look at the geography. Look at the effort it takes for the VMF and VVS to keep a ~5000 man force in Syria.

Iran (and maybe Egypt) would do the job on the ground, Russia would give air support and use elite air born troops, and of course provide nuclear deterrence to keep the West from getting involved and escalate the conflict.
Again, those relationships don't exist. Never mind the fact that Russia simply can't deploy sufficient forces.

I suspect that Putin has higher ambitions than bombing some ragtag little rebel group in an eternal local war in Syria. Oil is of existential importance to Russia, its economy has not diversified, the current situation is the worst kind of catastrophy imaginable for Russia, with Saudi Arabia dumping oil prices.
Sheer idiocy. It was a common enough belief 3 years ago, though even then it was wrong. The past 3 years are clear proof. Russia can survive low oil prices and the weak rouble combined with Chinese help have turned Russian manufacturing around. What depends on the oil is the state budget. As proven by the current budget cuts. Before you make statements, by the way, I suggest checking percentage of GDP created by oil exports for Russia, compared to true petro-states.

Putin is about to lose power in a revolution and a Jeltsin type era of desperate poverty and weakness threatens to take over any day now. Putin has to act in panic now. But he seems well prepared for this scenario.
:rolleyes:

Alarma

Dear lord, do you know what the word allied means? In what universe is Russia allied to any of those? There's a sketchy case to be made that Russia and Iran have an alliance in Syria but that's about it. Russia just finished removing sanctions from Turkey, and has a decent relationship with Egypt based mainly on strategic trade. Nothing even close to an alliance.
Alliance is maybe too strong a word, but they have common interests in different ways. Erdogan of turkey obviously is not interested in working together with the West. No ambition to join the EU anymore, and the demand to have Gulen extradited from the US, which won't happen, will be used as a pretext for cutting ties with the US too. There's a deal to make with Russia and Iran to stabilize Syria, to have the Kurds exterminated and dividing Caucasus between them. Egypt's military regime, inviting Russia for military exercises, is now in trade conflict with Saudi Arabia and being the most populous country of the Arab is interested in taking over the lead of the Arab League. The conflict might be limited to Iran occupying Saudi Arabia's Persian Gulf coast, where the oil and the shia arabs are. The UAE has too much international commercial interests involved, a war there could escalate.

What's this now? Where has Saudi lost the US?
Have you heard of that guy, now what's his name, oh yeah: Donald J Trump?

Except for the Gulf Petro states which are very friendly with the US, Turkey, which is in NATO, and Israel which is one of the most powerful military forces in the Middle East.
Newsflash! Anothjer guy you've never heard of, Erdogan, has turned Turkey into a islamistic tyranny. Still member of NATO on paper, but that doesn't stop them from waging war. A few decades ago they even waged war against Greece, also a NATO member. I don't think they will be active in a war on Saudi Arabia, but they will quietly let it happen and not stop Russian shipping from the Black Sea for example. What has Israel got to do with this? They have stayed out of direct conflict during this "Arab spring" and do well to continue so.

Taking it with what? Again. Look at the geography. Look at the effort it takes for the VMF and VVS to keep a ~5000 man force in Syria.
Saudi's east coast is near Iran, they are certainly capable of marching their huge army into it.

Again, those relationships don't exist. Never mind the fact that Russia simply can't deploy sufficient forces.
Those relationships may very well exist under the table. Defeating the corrupt and incompetent Saudi forces might turn out to be very easy.

I cannot think of any single item I can buy in a shop in Sweden which has been manufactured in Russia, a neighboring country. They export raw materials and weapons. Russia has been totally dependent on oil exports for a hundred years. The OPEC oil crisis of the 1970s boosted Soviet power enormously, low oil prices crushed Gorbachev, high oil prices has been a blessing for Putin. He needs high oil prices again and he needs it soon. He seems even personally very interested in making money from the oil industry.

This is not an exotic scenario. Iraq suddenly invaded Kuwait, remember? This is the same idea. Iran just needs the backing of Russia air force and nuclear protection. Air strikes from Egypt would put Saudi in a three front war including Yemen. That's why the Russian Atlantic navy is now stationed in Eastern Mediterranean. Or what do you think they are up to?

Alarma

I would strongly recommend that you post some reputable verifiable links to substantiate these claims that you make. Unsubstantiated and inflammatory claims break the rules and causes Moderators ban hammer trigger fingers to itch quicker than free rum attracts sailors.
It's not as if the Molotov-Ribbentrop alliance was made public either. I speculate based on the interests, capabilities and recent actions of the countries involved. Saudi Arabia's policies have obviously failed very seriously.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
It's not as if the Molotov-Ribbentrop alliance was made public either. I speculate based on the interests, capabilities and recent actions of the countries involved. Saudi Arabia's policies have obviously failed very seriously.
Even speculations have to be based upon facts and supported. Follow the rules and you will be fine. That's all we ask.
Breaches of the rules carry penalties. Don't put us in the position of issuing a formal warning and if you have any problems with how Moderators deal with things take up it using the personal messaging system with a Moderator, not posting on the open forum. Consider this as friendly advice.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Alliance is maybe too strong a word, but they have common interests in different ways. Erdogan of turkey obviously is not interested in working together with the West. No ambition to join the EU anymore, and the demand to have Gulen extradited from the US, which won't happen, will be used as a pretext for cutting ties with the US too. There's a deal to make with Russia and Iran to stabilize Syria, to have the Kurds exterminated and dividing Caucasus between them. Egypt's military regime, inviting Russia for military exercises, is now in trade conflict with Saudi Arabia and being the most populous country of the Arab is interested in taking over the lead of the Arab League. The conflict might be limited to Iran occupying Saudi Arabia's Persian Gulf coast, where the oil and the shia arabs are. The UAE has too much international commercial interests involved, a war there could escalate.
Erdogan is busy trying to convince the US that he could somehow still be allowed to participate in anti-ISIS efforts in Iraq. Hardly the behavior of one who has no desire to work with the west. And the best deal he could strike with Russia involves tepid relations based, once again, on strategic trade and geopolitical interests. A relationship that could easily go sour again any time Erdogan decides his zone of control in Syria is too small, or that he wants Assad gone after all.

Have you heard of that guy, now what's his name, oh yeah: Donald J Trump?
He's done nothing so far. Assuming he will do one thing or another without solid grounding is silly.

Newsflash! Anothjer guy you've never heard of, Erdogan, has turned Turkey into a islamistic tyranny. Still member of NATO on paper, but that doesn't stop them from waging war.
NATO membership hasn't stopped the US from waging war either. Are they also one of Russia's allies in the upcoming invasion of Saudi Arabia.

A few decades ago they even waged war against Greece, also a NATO member. I don't think they will be active in a war on Saudi Arabia, but they will quietly let it happen and not stop Russian shipping from the Black Sea for example. What has Israel got to do with this? They have stayed out of direct conflict during this "Arab spring" and do well to continue so.
They stayed out? You mean they're not supporting the rebels in southern Syria, and don't have under the table ties with Russia? Interesting. And they're totally not bombing Hezbollah targets inside Syria. You're so right. They're practically isolationists.

So we're clear on one thing. Russia and Turkey are not allies, and Turkey isn't going to have any part in invading Saudi Arabia.

Saudi's east coast is near Iran, they are certainly capable of marching their huge army into it.
Where does Russia come in? Iran and Saudi Arabia have been at odds for quite some time, but what makes you think that Russia would be backing, or orchestrating it?

Those relationships may very well exist under the table. Defeating the corrupt and incompetent Saudi forces might turn out to be very easy.

I cannot think of any single item I can buy in a shop in Sweden which has been manufactured in Russia, a neighboring country. They export raw materials and weapons.
1. You're confusing exports with the economy as a whole.
2. Look up Russian exports. Seriously. What the hell... weapons aren't even in the top 5.
3. Exporting consumer goods into the EU is difficult, especially for a country like Russia, traditionally weak in consumer goods. This doesn't mean Russia doesn't produce consumer goods, or that they're not a significant part of the economy.

Russia has been totally dependent on oil exports for a hundred years. The OPEC oil crisis of the 1970s boosted Soviet power enormously, low oil prices crushed Gorbachev, high oil prices has been a blessing for Putin. He needs high oil prices again and he needs it soon. He seems even personally very interested in making money from the oil industry.

This is not an exotic scenario. Iraq suddenly invaded Kuwait, remember? This is the same idea. Iran just needs the backing of Russia air force and nuclear protection. Air strikes from Egypt would put Saudi in a three front war including Yemen. That's why the Russian Atlantic navy is now stationed in Eastern Mediterranean. Or what do you think they are up to?
There is one limping AC, two aging ASW destroyers, one semi-modern frigate, and an undisclosed number of subs (1-3). And Russia doesn't have an Atlantic Navy.

Alarma

Where does Russia come in? Iran and Saudi Arabia have been at odds for quite some time, but what makes you think that Russia would be backing, or orchestrating it?
Air support. And nuclear deterrence to keep other nuclear powers out. Iran doesn't really have a functional air force and could hardly take on Saudi themselves. A gradual Russian response to any Western hostile escalation could be to occupy defenseless isolated Sweden. It wouldn't insult NATO, compare it with Georgia and Ukraine, but it would shut up Merkel, and make the UK start thinking about possible Russian landing operations in Scotland. Russia's negotiation strength vis-a-vis the rest of Europe would improve quite a bit, geomilitarily. And by the audacity of occupying a so called democratic EU-member without meeting any kind of resistance.

The Russian motive is to stop Saudi Arabia from dumping oil prices, by stopping their production. With bombs, local revolt and occupation. Much like Saddam Hussein did 25 years ago. I don't think Putin has spent all this money in his military without using it to give return on investment. And creating a new oil shortage is the obvious way to do it. (In the long run it won't help, since shale oil is everywhere and oil usage might very well decrease radically as new technologies take over. But for the next several years a high oil price is crucial for Russia, and Iran, if they have the ambition to remain great powers).

There is one limping AC, two aging ASW destroyers, one semi-modern frigate, and an undisclosed number of subs (1-3). And Russia doesn't have an Atlantic Navy.
Yeah, but what does Saudi Arabia have to fight it with? They've been fooled to buy a lot of fancy gadgets, but they don't seem to know how to use them. I think that the Russian aircraft carrier is there to protect the missile cruiser and the subs that will launch the cruise missiles. Russian bombers could hit Saudi from Russia proper and from bases in Iran, Syria, Egypt, Yemen.

Was the Saudi chief of air force really killed by a Yemenite Scud attack? That's been reported in the news. He must've been the first chief of an air force ever to have died in combat. Or is that a cover up for his king having executed him in some internal conspiracy? Either way it is just a very poor sign for the Saudi military capability.

I think that surrounding stronger powers, which are now put in the corner in different ways, will take advantage of the inability of Saudi Arabia to defend itself and its riches. This is the traditional view of the fürst, and since the cold war and the "new world order" of the Bushes and the Clintons now has failed, I think we will revert to the game of the personally profit maximizing fürst (i.e. dictators) playing around with their militaries. Not in symbolic half under cover guerrilla wars of the cold war, but straight out in order to conquer some of the most valuable strategic assets in the world, economically and geographically. Like it has always been done.

Alarma

The blog Zero Hedge has a great post that sums up the efficiency of Western policies in the Middle East. Just images, very quick and easy to understand. I'm not allowed to post links (and thus "SOURCES") here, but visit them and see their today's postings.
The "Who must go?" image collection. It's great fun.

Tsavo Lion

Banned Member
Feanor said:
That I doubt very much no sailor on a SSBN would ever say that - just saying.
I'm sorry to say, but that's just BS. I think your mate is being very cavalier with the truth - and I say that with a very very high degree of confidence as I'm pretty aware of what the US response options were if Saddam launched WMD
That sailor wasn't a submariner but was told by others who knew the bigger picture. Also, another 1 from Sea Bees told me that nuclear weapon storage facilities were built in Saudi Arabia during the Desert Shield. I have no reason doubt them- tactical nukes and SLBMs were in the theater to deliver overwhelming blows in case the US Army got in serious trouble there.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Feanor said:
That sailor wasn't a submariner but was told by others who knew the bigger picture. Also, another 1 from Sea Bees told me that nuclear weapon storage facilities were built in Saudi Arabia during the Desert Shield. I have no reason doubt them- tactical nukes and SLBMs were in the theater to deliver overwhelming blows in case the US Army got in serious trouble there.
There are a whole pile if reasons as to why a retaliatory nuke strike was off the cards.

the US had other options that were alive and in place to deal with a red team initiated WMD event

swerve

Super Moderator
...Erdogan, has turned Turkey into a islamistic tyranny. Still member of NATO on paper, but that doesn't stop them from waging war. A few decades ago they even waged war against Greece, also a NATO member....
Tell me about this Turkish attack on Greece. Which part of Greece was attacked? Or were Greek ships attacked in international waters, or Greek aircraft in international airspace? When did it happen? Please tell. And I'd very much like to know your sources.