Russian Paper Tiger

riksavage

Banned Member
A lot of blustering and veiled threats over the past few weeks from President Putin in response to US plans to deploy a missile defence shield, part of which will be located in Eastern Europe. Countering his rhetoric, several articles have appeared claiming Putin’s Russia is, when compared to the former Soviet Union, a ‘paper tiger’, reasons as follows:

• Since the fall of the cold war his conventional military and defense budget has shrunk dramatically;
  • Military equipment in poor repair, particularly naval assets, and
  • Quality of personnel in the armed forces has dropped off substantially, the best and brightest of Russia’s youth would rather join the private sector and earn big bucks (officer class suffering).

Removing nuclear weapons from the equation, and taking in to consideration many of the former Soviet satellites who used to provide man-power (Poland, East Germany, and Hungary) are now pro-Western, could Russia realistically take on NATO in Europe on land, sea and in the air, even with current commitments in Iraq and Afghanistan?

Ozzy Blizzard

Removing nuclear weapons from the equation, and taking in to consideration many of the former Soviet satellites who used to provide man-power (Poland, East Germany, and Hungary) are now pro-Western, could Russia realistically take on NATO in Europe on land, sea and in the air, even with current commitments in Iraq and Afghanistan?
Its estinmated they've some 10 000 T72's in storage, and 350000 odd personell in service at the moment. 19~21 motor-rifle divisions make up the bulk of the ground forces, 3 armoured divisions make up their big stick and are powerfull formations. Thats just on a peacetime footing. Given some time and mobilization they couuld have some formidable ground formation in the field pretty quickley. Wikki puts there inventory at:

• MBT of various designations 22 800+
  • IFV's 15 000+
  • APC's 9000+
  • Towed artillary of various callibers
  • Self propelled artillary 6000+
  • MLRS ~4500
  • Mortars ~6000
  • Self Propelled SAM's ~2500

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Ground_Forces

The vast majority of these systems are in storage, however given the conscript nature of soviet/russian armies, the high proportion of the population with past military service and the soviet erra logistical structure that must still be in place to some extent, a partial mobilization or expansion of the russian army could produce some very large, fully equiped mechanised/armoured formations. 20+ mech and 5+ Armoured Divisions wouldnt be too much of a tall order.

Their in service airforce includes:

• Su 27 Flanker 452
  • MiG 29 Fulcrum 435
  • MiG 31 Foxhound 325
  • Su 24 Fencer 458
  • Su 25 Frogfoot 275
  • Tu 22M Backfire 182
  • A 50E Mainstay 19
  • IL 78 Midas 20
  • Mi 24 Hind 260

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Air_Force

This is a pretty formidable airforce. However it is questionable how many of these aircraft are actually servicable in squadron service and therefore usefull in this supposed conflict with NATO. Neverthless even if only 30% are servicable at the moment, that number could increase significantly if needed.

They may all be of cold war vintage but most of the platofrs used by NATO are of a similar vintage. F22, Typhoon and Rafale may be a step ahead, but the majority of NATO air force structure is F15's, F16's and Tornadoes.

That kind of gives you the scope of russia's armed forces. They also have ex soviet doctorine which was damn good at large scale combined armes warfare.

If there was to be a conventional conflict with nato you would assume it would occunr in Belarus, Ukraine, Poland and the Baltic states. NATO rapid reaction corps, or professional nato armies in general would be much much better in a unit for unit level. They have better equipment, better training, better doctorine, better air support and arguably better leadership. However NATO still suffers from the same problems it allways did, nameley the fact that it is a multnational organisation with a million different types of equipment making logistics a nightmare. They may have the same caliber ammunition, but thats not going to fix the huge mess that would allmost certainly ensue with so manny armies in the same theater fighting a high intencity conflict.

Weapons stockpiles could also be decisive in this type of high intencity conflict, and the russians ability to mount such a campaign could rest upon how much of the huge munitions stockpiles held by the Soviets are still intact. If they are for the most part then this sort of thing becomes feasable. Same go's for NATO's stockpiles. If they have been dramaticaly reduced then this could be a real problem.

If they did decide to push into eastern europe with ~30 motor/mechanised infantry divisions and ~7 armoured divisions this would be a serious problem for NATO given the current state of affairs. However in this scenario you would face the full deployment of NATO's ground forces, and as much of a redeployment from GWOT theaters as possible. Iraq and Afghanistan would be less influential to this conflict as none of NATO's heavies are deployed there. You could assume that NATO would have air superiority after a bloody fight, this wouldnt be like desert storm. But they would struggle to get enough heavy formations in the theater to stop the russians cold at the belorussian border. You would probably see a meeting engagement across eastern europe, in the baltic states or poland. When NATO eventually gains air superiority over the battlefield it would really start to hurt the russians logistically. Then they would probably be defeated in a mobile battle across poland, with heavy casualties on both sides, very heavy for the russians.

One thing the Russians would have no counter for is USAF strategic airpower and what it would do to russian C4I an rear area logistics. B2/F22/B1B would have a devistating effect on all the ruskies jucie bits.

This is of cource a purely conventional conflict, which doesent fit into NATO or WARPAC doctorine, which both advocate tactical nuclear weapon use. So i'm not sure this conflict could be purely conventional.

A WARPAC v NATO type conflict allways hinged on the quality v quantity equasion, ie. the difference between the qualitative advantage of NATO forces and the quantitative and logistical advantages of WARPAC forces, and even taking the reduced european defence budgets and overseas deployments into account, this equasion has only gotten worse for the ruskies.

So IMO the russians could indeed take NATO on in a large scale conflict, but they wouldnt win.

riksavage

Banned Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Very detailed and informative.

Clearly the Russians have huge stocks of war material, however it would be interesting to speculate how much is in working order, or how long it would take to bring West to a suitable jumping off point, once serviced and crewed etc. Would the West with its smaller, better equiped and trained forces be able to strike East before Russia moved the majority of its spear-point assets (guards divisions) West? I'm sure the German's would be keen to take the fight to the Eastern borders of Poland asap, rather than risk total destruction of its own industrial heartlands.

What about the maritime threat? Here I see huge advantages for the West with new ships / subs comming on line. The combined active submarine fleet of the Western European powers alone must be equal to that of Russia when you take in to considerartion France, UK, Germany, Italy, Nordic countries etc. I seriously doubt the Russians have more than 15 fully servicable and crewed SSN 's at sea today.

Falstaff

Ah, fine thread, riksavage!

The Russians... the Lieutenant Colonel I served under- he was a "tank guy" until he had an accident in which he lost most of his hearing, then became a liaison officer and was one of the inspectors sent to monitor Russian disarmament efforts- used to say that now he knows "our auxiliary fire brigade would have driven them beyond the Ural".

I'm sure the German's would be keen to take the fight to the Eastern borders of Poland asap, rather than risk total destruction of its own industrial heartlands.
Definitely :D That's one of the benefits of NATO expansion towards the east.

I'm sure the Pro's will deal with it better, just one remark: Most European armies are in a transformation phase in which they follow a either-or-approach towards lighter armoured, more mobile forces.
Despite all that Russian boasting I don't doubt a single second on a platform vs. platform basis they would lose terribly as they don't stand a chance against all that western high tech. Same for moral issues.
However, I suspect that most western armies nowaday aren't prepared for a full scale high intensity combat. The Bundeswehr intends to retain a mere 350 of its once 4000 pieces formidable Leo 1 and 2 MBT force once transformation is complete.

I'd like to shift attention to another issue, the term "paper tiger". You all know we have the G8 summit here these days and I'm pretty sure Vladimir will deliever an outstanding performance once more. On the one hand I'm sure his speeches are directed to the Russian generals and people more than towards us, but on the other hand big parts of Europe depend on gas and oil from Russia and we all know the Kreml doesn't hesitate to use this fact. At this point Putin probably doesn't feel strong enough to challenge countries like Germany, Italy, France instead of the Baltic states or Ukraine. But one day this may change, who knows.
So no, I wouldn't call Russia a paper tiger.

riksavage

Banned Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The following concluding quote taken from the UK Times, the context being Russia, Oil & Gas and G8

"The bottom line is that Russia is in little position to hit back if the US and Europe press ahead with their aims (Missile shield). Its strongest card remains the West’s need for energy; as Ukraine and Belarus have found, it is prepared to turn off the tap. Europe has still not responded to that threat, and not for lack of warning. But if the oil price fell, so would Russia’s new confidence, and very likely, the popularity of its President. As Moscow’s traffic jams show, oil at $70 a barrel can buy a lot of Mercedes but like Putin’s outburst, that is an illusory claim to power.''

The harder he pushes the Oil & Gas card the more we in the West will look to secure energy resources elsewhere. If prices continue to rise, we can turn to countries like Canada, which I understand have as much oil as Saudi, but due to costs associated with extraction, it's currently not a viable option.

Rich

Putin is simply throwing his weight around. He is no more looking for war then he is a stomach tumor. He doesn't want the former Soviet states getting to close to NATO, even if they are part of it. With his weapons/nuclear sales to Iran he is manipulating events in order to keep the price of oil high and himself relevant.

I think he's making a mistake with his goofy missile talk. History might remember him as the guy who saved NATO single handedly.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I also think that the important question is how much of their storage equipment is even barely in good condition.
And when I look at the reports from liaison officers and reports about the material problems of the russian army I don't think that their storage equipment is really usefull.

merocaine

manpower too, berely 15% of those elegible actually end up being drafted, and there experiencing severe problems shifting to a volenter force. The countries so big with such long borders thats it would be impossible for them to mass any kind of numbers with the current size of the armed forces.

Ozzy Blizzard

Still, given the sheer size of their stockpiles, military trained personell, munitions stockpiles and logistical capabilities, i wouldn't put 20~25 divisions out of reach if they were determened on going to war. And thats only a little slice of the 200+ divisional capabilitie they have on paper.

metro

Still, given the sheer size of their stockpiles, military trained personell, munitions stockpiles and logistical capabilities, i wouldn't put 20~25 divisions out of reach if they were determened on going to war. And thats only a little slice of the 200+ divisional capabilitie they have on paper.
The oil/gas question is very significant though. NATO is for the most part reliant on the ME and Russia for oil. Does anyone doubt that the first thing the Russians would do is take out ME oil/infrastructure (and obviously cut of their own oil supply to NATO)?!

If NATO doesn't get to Russian Oil Quickly, NATO's land and air assets won't last very long. If the Russians thought they were going to lose "x" oil field, they'd destroy it themselves. If Russia is able to maintain an "oil advantage" I hope we are prepared to do a lot of walking and/or have learned a whole lot about urban combat from Afghanistan and Iraq.

Nuclear weapons aside, the oil weapon is a strong one. It can alter the QvQ question in a big way.

Last edited:

rio

Doubtless Russia has huge stocks of conventional land equipment and ordnance in storage. Their biggest weakness however is human, there simply are not enough trained and able men to staff their military. Flying hours for their pilots has been severely curtailed and I imagine that the readiness of their army and navy is in a similar state. I seriously doubt whether its armed forces is capable of conducting the high intensity around the clock warfare that would be required.

Army: When was the last time Russia conducted a large scale combined arms exercise? What about the logistics that would be required to sustain a large scale deployment? Russia's spy satellite network has been depleted, what about their ability to detect the enemy and network their forces?

Navy: The only portion of the navy that has nearly adequate funding is their sub force and even then, how many of their subs can they really surge and maintain on station?

Air Force: Pilot proficiency is severely impacted by a lack of flight hours. How many of their pilots will survive their first 10 missions? If Russian engines and avionics breakdown more often than their Western equivalents, do they have the man power and spares to keep their planes flying? How many planes can they keep on ready alert?

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
It is not only manpower. There they even have an advantage with their conscription system compared to many NATO countries.

But how much of their equipment in storage is not rusting away, has been canabalized or is seriously outdated?
Nothing is hurting a tank more than standing a long time without proper maintenance and without being moved.
Tanks go broken more because of standing than because of moving (When we talk about peacetime operations).

metro

It is not only manpower. There they even have an advantage with their conscription system compared to many NATO countries.

But how much of their equipment in storage is not rusting away, has been canabalized or is seriously outdated?
Nothing is hurting a tank more than standing a long time without proper maintenance and without being moved.
Tanks go broken more because of standing than because of moving (When we talk about peacetime operations).
Again, what is there a simple answer to the oil/fuel problem that would be created? If there is none, our tanks are not going very far. Our carriers can get aircraft in place, but how long can the aircraft fly? Except for our navy, we're dependent on what Russia (the ME) has. NATO would have to hope that anthing that Russia can take out of storage is now useless regardless of Russia having fuel.
Russia could easily offer cheap oil to china in order "break" blockades, or even supply Russia with arms. It would be in China's interest to help in any way to protect Russian Oil. Now one could say, that NATO could Convince China to send its troops in on our behalf, with an agreement that they can can control "x" amount of oil. But this is assuming no nukes when Russia see's it's not fightin a winnable war. But in conventional terms, as I said before, any Oil Russia belives they would lose, they'd deny NATO of taking it by destroying the field(s).

The eventuality, IMO, would be Man on Man (maybe horses and bikes:rolleyes: ) urban warfare.

chakos

Well when all is said and done it is good to have a real enemy again (and im saying this from both the western and russian side). This whole war on terrorism thing was getting a little boring. War isnt chasing some insurgents around deserts and mountains, in caves, villages and hideouts with no set peice battles to speak of. :)

That aside i wouldnt be writing off the Russians off so soon yet. Lets not forget that the in comparison the Russians today are a lot better equiped against the west than they where against the Germans in 1941. We all know the result of that little scuffle eh.. 'all you have to do is kick in the door to have the whole rotten edifice come crashing down' hmmm....

:nutkick :eek:nfloorl:

Grand Danois

Entertainer
Europe has cash, influence, technology...

Basically, what is denied from Russia or by Russia, will be gotten elsewhere. The mechanics of the market and politics. It is those who cannot pay for the rising cost who will suffer (like China). It is a matter of acces, and above talks. That's the long term.

Short term, there are strategic reserves for 120+ days in Europe.

Also, Europe produces 5.4+ million bbl/day of oil, compared to Russias 9.7 million bbl/day.

Lastly, in the medium term Europe will produce or import 4-5% of its transportation fuels as biofuels. Methanols, biodiesel, etc.

The rise in cost per bbl will cut the most uneconomic uses right away. So Russia cannot lay Europe dry of transportation fuels.

Fuel will not be a weapon in a hot war, not as described above.

Last edited:

metro

Basically, what is denied from Russia or by Russia, will be gotten elsewhere. The mechanics of the market and politics. It is those who cannot pay for the rising cost who will suffer (like China). It is a matter of acces, and above talks. That's the long term.

Also, Europe produces 5.4+ million bbl/day of oil, compared to Russias 9.7 million bbl/day.

Lastly, in the medium term Europe will produce or import 4-5% of its transportation fuels as biofuels. Methanols, biodiesel, etc.

The rise in cost per bbl will cut the most uneconomic uses right away. So Russia cannot lay Europe dry of transportation fuels.

Yeah, I understand Putin's (fill in the blank), but some of the discussion turned to what our/NATOs capabilities are in fighting a "warm-war" (no nukes);) vs. Russia's.

In the event of a conflict, Russia could pacify the Chinese by "giving them oil" or simply threaten to "deny" everyone Oil, which, would be even worse for the Chinese. Meanwhile, as you said, Oil prices will go trough the roof (not that it hasn't already). And it is Market economics. Supply and demand. If we really want the oil from elsewhere, we'll have to pay some "new" market prices--"they" know we're not a 3rd world nation. Any offsets we get from ME oil would be gone. Refueling an F-22 makes it a $150M plane;)

Does Europe produse oil "along with" Russia's tacit approval (i.e. pipe lines running through "Russian State's or the ME/Capian Sea) or are you talking about production within Europe?

I'm not sure what the levels of our strategic reserves are here in the US. One day "they're completely full," the next day, "we're filling our STRs right now, but we're also trying to offset oil prices." So, I don't know what the actual amount is. But like Europe, it's supposed to sustain US for a few months. We can't drill in Alaska because a spotted owl might be upset.

When I think of what it would take to deploy to Europe, the size of Russia, and the logistics in a conflict, things could get real difficult. Hence the Cold War never going Hot, or real Hot.:unknown

Rich

Before I read the rest of the posts in this excellent thread I'd like to build more on this. The Russian economy is in no way, shape, or form, ready to take on the gravity of a shooting war. Not now and not in the next 10 to 20 years. They need the open marketplace far more then NATO does. Especially as GD points out they really cant use their fuel stocks as a weapon in a shooting war.

And why is that? Because NATO has the military means to secure its mideast oil spigot that's why. Most of all with the USN but our NATO allies also have important naval assets to contribute. Taken as a whole we can not only secure our oil supplies but we can also easily secure our North Atlantic convoy routes. Take a good look at Russian naval bases in google earth sometime to get a true sense of the predicament they are in.

Actually, oil wise, we are in better shape now then we were in the Cold war based simply on the reduced Russian threat to the supply lines.

Further, and another snack for consideration, while the Russian fighting man is almost without peer when defending his homeland exactly how enthusiastic do you think he'd be fighting to build Vlad another empire? I bet a large percentage would simply surrender and defect if NATO offered it to them.

And while Russia may still have great quantities of Soviet era military supplies, such materials are useless as tits on a Bull if you cant successfully integrate and fight with them. NATO was always prepared to fight a numerically superior enemy using "bleed em dry" forward defense tactics, superior technology, and severing the major arteries of centralized Soviet style command and control and resupply.

Su 27 Flanker 452
MiG 29 Fulcrum 435
MiG 31 Foxhound 325
Su 24 Fencer 458
Su 25 Frogfoot 275
Tu 22M Backfire 182
A 50E Mainstay 19
IL 78 Midas 20
Mi 24 Hind 260
Yes, very formidable. At least as a wikipedia article. Which btw doesn't include the fact the assets are based on far fewer bases now then they were in the '80s, thus making them far easier to attack in what would be a fearsome NATO air strike "shock/awe" doctrine. Also it doesn't take into account the overwhelming superiority in NATO avionics, networked air defense, availability of basing, sortie rates, and training/morale. The Russian air force is not in the same league as NATO.

Diplomatically it would be a disaster for Vlad in that he would be remembered as the guy who saved NATO and turned France and Germany back into the fold. He's far better off with this meager NATO expansion. Nobody knows better then he that this small scale missile defense program is of no account in the continental balance of power.

Lastly we elders that lived and served during the worst years of the cold war get a big laugh when he starts babbling about re-targeting missiles. Most of all those of us who know a little something about missiles. If we were able to keep our courage during the terrible years of the 1970s why does he think we will fold now?

"Re-targeting missiles"? Is he kidding?:rolleyes: That's a few minutes work. Actually I believe even he knows he made a mistake with this nonsense already. It actually made him appear weaker then if he had said nothing.

If your going to make a statement like this then please detail exactly how the Russians would do so.

The oil/gas question is very significant though. NATO is for the most part reliant on the ME and Russia for oil. Does anyone doubt that the first thing the Russians would do is take out ME oil/infrastructure (and obviously cut of their own oil supply to NATO)?!

Ozzy Blizzard

Before I read the rest of the posts in this excellent thread I'd like to build more on this. The Russian economy is in no way, shape, or form, ready to take on the gravity of a shooting war. Not now and not in the next 10 to 20 years. They need the open marketplace far more then NATO does. Especially as GD points out they really cant use their fuel stocks as a weapon in a shooting war.
Actually economics wouldnt really play a large part in this sort of high intencity conflict, that wouldn't last more than a few weeks. The longer term economic effects would indeed be disasterous for the ruskies. What would be vital are munitions stockpiles, because both sides would probably run out in anywere from a few weeks to a couple of months. Due to the long time it takes to manufacture these munitions and the very short time it takes to expend them, sustaining industrial output in order to keep your units supplied like WW2 wouldnt be feasable. Therefore the war would be fought with what both sides allready had, considering that i'm not too sure what effect the state of the russian economy would have on this scenario.

And why is that? Because NATO has the military means to secure its mideast oil spigot that's why. Most of all with the USN but our NATO allies also have important naval assets to contribute. Taken as a whole we can not only secure our oil supplies but we can also easily secure our North Atlantic convoy routes. Take a good look at Russian naval bases in google earth sometime to get a true sense of the predicament they are in.

Actually, oil wise, we are in better shape now then we were in the Cold war based simply on the reduced Russian threat to the supply lines.

Both sides would have an adequadte supply of oil for the campaign. This wouldnt be like WW2, It would however be quick and bloody. The effects on the civilian petrochemical market would be significant but again i'm not to shure if this would have any effect on the campaign.

As for the threat to the lines of communication across the atlantic, your right the threat is minimal. The Submarine arm is a shadow of its former self and i would be very impressed if a single SSN or SSK made it through SOSUS GIUK line alive. However with the retirement of the F14 and the introduction of more advanced russian AShM's I would be carefull sending USN CBG's into the barrents looking for trouble, the Backfire is still a formidable adversary and she's got sharper teeth nowadays. Ticonderoga class cruisers are indeed very capable, but they may have their work cut out for them in russian warters. Given the inherent limitations of the F/A 18E as an interceptor, i dont like its chances of intercepting Backfire strike packages before they get to launch points. Aegis and SM2 would face the ultimate test facing dozens and dozens of supersonic low altitude anti ship missiles.

However the backfires impact on supply lines would be negligable given the loss of much of the ruskies IRS capability and null as long as the USAF could get Naval Air Station Keflavick operational again.

Further, and another snack for consideration, while the Russian fighting man is almost without peer when defending his homeland exactly how enthusiastic do you think he'd be fighting to build Vlad another empire? I bet a large percentage would simply surrender and defect if NATO offered it to them.
I personaly dont like relying on the enemy surrendering or their state of mind when dealing with these sort of scenario's, it seems like an easy way to justify a point of view and is inherently unpredictable due to its reliance upon mass psycology. Given the ruskies aptitude for propaganda and ability to manipulate popular opinion, especially with an audience like the military, the though of fighting for putin wouldn't pass through many heads. Defeating american imperialism, restoring russias greatness and defending the motherland from immanant yankee nuclear attack which would occur as soon as their missile shield was in place, that would probably be more along the lines popular opinion in the military, given the ruskies propaganda skill and 70yrs of fearing americans for the average moscovite.

And while Russia may still have great quantities of Soviet era military supplies, such materials are useless as tits on a Bull if you cant successfully integrate and fight with them. NATO was always prepared to fight a numerically superior enemy using "bleed em dry" forward defense tactics, superior technology, and severing the major arteries of centralized Soviet style command and control and resupply.
Who says they cant? They have some 20 odd divisions standing as we speak, and thats on a peace time footing. And how many of those ivans have been rotated through Chechenia in the past few years do you think? I'd guess most of their officer and NCO's are blooded hard ass russians for the most part. I dont like your mass surrender theory too much.

They have enough materiel to equip 200+ divisions. Now i dont think they could hope to actually field 200+ divisions, but 40~50 wouldnt be beyonde their capability at all. They have the officer core, the equipment, the logistical structure, the operational doctorine and enough personell. So why cant they intergrate and fight with a proportion of those soviet erra supplies?

Yes, very formidable. At least as a wikipedia article. Which btw doesn't include the fact the assets are based on far fewer bases now then they were in the '80s, thus making them far easier to attack in what would be a fearsome NATO air strike "shock/awe" doctrine.
I'm not too sure your right on that one rich. IIRC after the collapse of the soviet union the deployed forces in the various military disctricts went to whatever nation they found themselves in. thats why the Ukrainians ended up with such a decent army in 1992. So the numbers of fighters stated were allways deployed with russian borders and therefore russian baces so nothing has changed.

Also it doesn't take into account the overwhelming superiority in NATO avionics, networked air defense, availability of basing, sortie rates, and training/morale. The Russian air force is not in the same league as NATO.
Your right the premiere NATO air forces are more capable that the russians, and the air war would be decisively won. However if your expecting another desert sheild/storm i think you might be in for a nasty suprise. Your looking at over 1000 frontline fighters on paper. Even if only 70% are battle ready thats 700. Remeber thats backed up by 14 (of 25+operational i think) capable AEW&C platforms like A50E, the iraqies never had anything that capable, with a decent air defence doctorine to boot. And as far as an IADS, the russians do have S300/S400 which are easily as capable as western counterparts, so i dont see how thats an advantage. The newest NATO fighters are much more capable that the average russian Fulcrum or Flanker, but as stated earlier most of the NATO airforce inventory is of cold war vintage too. And for the superior avionics you sight, most of those are cold war/90's vintage as well are they not? As for as radars anyway, IIRC most of the F15C's are still equiped with the APG 63(V)1. I would bet most NATO fighters are still equiped with for the most part their original avionics, bar a few nav and comms upgrades.

The main advantages i see for NATO air forces are pilot training, operational doctorine and the biggest one, sortie rate. You would have to wonder how well the ruskies maintinance system could hold up to high intencity campaigns. Electronic Warfare is also a big + for NATO with a level of sophistocation that the ruskies cant match.

So i dont see it as being the pushover you seem to be advocating. There would be significant losses amongst NATO air forces, but you would have assume that theruskies offencive capability would be significantly degraded pretty quickley and then they would be forced to assume a defenceive posture.

Diplomatically it would be a disaster for Vlad in that he would be remembered as the guy who saved NATO and turned France and Germany back into the fold. He's far better off with this meager NATO expansion. Nobody knows better then he that this small scale missile defense program is of no account in the continental balance of power.

Diplomaticaly this would be a disaster for the ruskies, as bad as it would be economicaly. You would probably see a change of government, which could be dangerous given the fact that the future leader would be in controll of the worlds largest nuclear arsenal.

However you would think that there would have to be a few vioces in Moscow asking questions likewhether this "small scale" BM missile defence could be mass produced into a "large scale" one. I mean what happens if the Yankies decide to go to full scale BM defence with thousands of interceptors? They might be able to get the shield to a point were it could dilute a russian counter strike to a point were a first strike could become feasable????? Such concerns would have been vioced to that hard ass little russian i'm sure. Ofcource the ABM shield has nothing to do with a full scale nuclear exchange between Russia and NATO, but 50yrs of missrtust doesent evaporate overnite, especially for the old guard concernring stratecig nuclear weapons.

Lastly we elders that lived and served during the worst years of the cold war get a big laugh when he starts babbling about re-targeting missiles. Most of all those of us who know a little something about missiles. If we were able to keep our courage during the terrible years of the 1970s why does he think we will fold now?
I think its probably aimed at the new NATO members and middle europeans rather than you yanks. The polish, hungarians, checks and half the germans used to be protected by the russians nuclear arsenal, now its pointing at them.

Rich

Defeating american imperialism, restoring russias greatness and defending the motherland from immanant yankee nuclear attack which would occur as soon as their missile shield was in place, that would probably be more along the lines popular opinion in the military, given the ruskies propaganda skill and 70yrs of fearing americans for the average moscovite.
The average Muscovite doesn't "fear Americans".

And the average Muskovite sure as hell doesn't want to die in Vlads war of empire.

because both sides would probably run out in anywere from a few weeks to a couple of months. Due to the long time it takes to manufacture these munitions and the very short time it takes to expend them, sustaining industrial output in order to keep your units supplied like WW2 wouldnt be feasable. Therefore the war would be fought with what both sides allready had, considering that i'm not too sure what effect the state of the russian economy would have on this scenario.
The war would be one of maneuver and encirclement. It wouldn't last 2 weeks, or not much past.

Ticonderoga class cruisers are indeed very capable, but they may have their work cut out for them in russian warters.
They wouldn't be in "Russian waters". The North Atlantic, and the Pacific, are American Lakes.

the Backfire is still a formidable adversary and she's got sharper teeth nowadays.
Boy the last place on earth I'd want to hang my hat would be a backfire base during time of war with NATO.:jump

Who says they cant? They have some 20 odd divisions standing as we speak, and thats on a peace time footing. And how many of those ivans have been rotated through Chechenia in the past few years do you think? I'd guess most of their officer and NCO's are blooded hard ass russians for the most part. I dont like your mass surrender theory too much.
Who says they can? And Saddam had us far outmanned and fat lot of good it did him.

Its true about Chechnya. If the Russians want to slaughter European civilians, and do so without INTL condemnation, then they have very experienced soldiers to do it with. Facing an armed and angry NATO, however, would be a different story.

The Russian people have far more access to the worldwide media nowadays and no Government of theirs would be able to pull the wool over their eyes for any length of time.

I'm not too sure your right on that one rich. IIRC after the collapse of the soviet union the deployed forces in the various military disctricts went to whatever nation they found themselves in. thats why the Ukrainians ended up with such a decent army in 1992. So the numbers of fighters stated were allways deployed with russian borders and therefore russian baces so nothing has changed.
No, the eastern Europe mechanism for basing, transport, and support, of an attack on NATO was much more sound, the forward basing much more dependable, during the days of the Warsaw pact then it is nowadays. Back then the Soviets could count on a rolling offensive thru Warsaw pact countries, pretty much on the same page as they, regarding transportation/basing infrastructure. And now in 2007? They would have to traverse a hostile eastern Europe that is integrated more with NATO then it is with Russia.

Your right the premiere NATO air forces are more capable that the russians, and the air war would be decisively won. However if your expecting another desert sheild/storm i think you might be in for a nasty suprise.
I never said I expected another Desert Storm/shield. And once the air war was won, and it would be in short order, the war would be over. The Russians still suffer from over-centralization, and lack of redundancy, in their air defense network, C&C, and important economic assets. A NATO air force using virtually a 100% precision weapons package would be merciless in bringing the Russians to their knees.

which could be dangerous given the fact that the future leader would be in controll of the worlds largest nuclear arsenal.
Your American allies have the worlds largest arsenal. And the most nimble and redundant one. And believe me both the Russians and the Chinese know it.

However you would think that there would have to be a few vioces in Moscow asking questions likewhether this "small scale" BM missile defence could be mass produced into a "large scale" one. I mean what happens if the Yankies decide to go to full scale BM defence with thousands of interceptors?
Why would we take steps to bring back the Cold War? Nor do the Europeans want any return to the days of nukes on tripwire. It just doesn't make any sense to upset the doctrine of MAD, especially with the reality that missile defense wouldn't work against the Russians and wouldn't protect anyone.

I think its probably aimed at the new NATO members and middle europeans rather than you yanks. The polish, hungarians, checks and half the germans used to be protected by the russians nuclear arsenal, now its pointing at them.
Ask any older Pole, Hungarian, czek, or east German if they feel the Soviets protected them? Everyone I ever asked always told me the Soviets "enslaved them" and "put them at great risk" by putting their land mass on ground zero for their wretched empire.

Anyway I hurried thru another one. Gotta go to work.

eaf-f16

LOL, you can't really say that. Russia's massive stockpile of nuclear weapons and their ability to fire ballistics missiles that the US can't stop are the reasons it feels comfortable threating NATO as whole. And it can take on NATO just by hitting US military bases with nukes. But they would have to go for a decapitation strike or a strike that would remove NATO's ability to wage nuclear war.