Russian Air Force News & Discussion

wsb05

It appears you are correct. Mostly. It's baseline planned at 14000 kgf with different variants to follow.
I think they are going with the cheapest possible upgrade pending PD-32 which would require a wing redesign. I hope they manage to install the new generation engines on a variety of platforms. Il-76 for starters included.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's not the first, but it is a whole regiment, allegedly though it's a multi-battery not multi-btln regiment, meaning 16 systems total. For comparison Tor batteries are 4 systems, and btlns 12. This is a division air defense regiment, made up of 4 batteries. Unlike brigade air defense btlns made up of 3 batteries.

Does Russia have any airworthy Mig-25's left?

I have a friend(who has tons of money) who wants to go up to 100k feet. Seeing as the Mig-25 is the only plane flying today that can still do that, would something like that be possible? Like can you offer the Russian MoD money for them to take you up there? I know in Moscow they got "Space Adventures" where they'll take you in a Mig-29, but they only take you to 55k feet. My friend wants to go double that.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does Russia have any airworthy Mig-25's left?

I have a friend(who has tons of money) who wants to go up to 100k feet. Seeing as the Mig-25 is the only plane flying today that can still do that, would something like that be possible? Like can you offer the Russian MoD money for them to take you up there? I know in Moscow they got "Space Adventures" where they'll take you in a Mig-29, but they only take you to 55k feet. My friend wants to go double that.
Good question. There might be some MiG-25 recon variants left in flying condition, but I haven't heard of it. And in the current climate it seems unlikely the MoD would oblige. I'd look for private companies operating demilitarized variants.

Strannik

18 tubes and I didn't see any cannons. Is this the Pantsyr-S2?
Панцирь-СА

And it is still goes as :
"Боевая машина зенитного ракетно-пушечного комплекса "Панцирь-СА"

So cannons are there, somewhere :)

Haavarla

18 tubes and I didn't see any cannons. Is this the Pantsyr-S2?
On that Artic Pantsyr, i've seen the Designation Pantsyr-S2U.

With the Tor-M2U as well.
We might see another version of Pantsir(Pantsir-S2?) with guns. But bare in mind, the more weapons you mount on, the heavier it will become. Guess there is some requirements to weight as well.

Anyway, it was reported that those 18 tubes fields a increased range of missile. Would be interesting to measure them in size with the older versions.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
On that Artic Pantsyr, i've seen the Designation Pantsyr-S2U.

With the Tor-M2U as well.
We might see another version of Pantsir(Pantsir-S2?) with guns. But bare in mind, the more weapons you mount on, the heavier it will become. Guess there is some requirements to weight as well.

Anyway, it was reported that those 18 tubes fields a increased range of missile. Would be interesting to measure them in size with the older versions.
Tor-M2DT is the index for the Tor vehicle.

Tor-M2U is a different variant. Also the DT probably refers to the DT-30 transporter used.

EDIT: It might be that the Pantsyr requires modifications to the SAM or the radar to make it work in Arctic conditions, while the Tor just needed a new chassis for standardization and mobility.

Haavarla

Tor-M2DT is the index for the Tor vehicle.

Tor-M2U is a different variant. Also the DT probably refers to the DT-30 transporter used.

EDIT: It might be that the Pantsyr requires modifications to the SAM or the radar to make it work in Arctic conditions, while the Tor just needed a new chassis for standardization and mobility.
Yeah, well i thought the "U" was due to the the platform was mounted on tracks instead of wheels.. but all the Russian designations can be a challange.. at least for me.

The Radar on Pantsir-S2/S2U is a new design with a paired ESA array from its older versions. It get a better real time picture this way.

And the new Pantsir is a modular system, it can link up with S-400 command unit for better SA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQwOD6IoY58

I'm not sure if Tor-M2U can link up with S-400 system, it being an Army unit and all.. perhaps it can link up with the upcoming S-350 system once it get operational.

Speaking of S-350, it is a beefed up BUK system, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS2d5QRkKZk

Looks like a twelve tube launcher, and the idea of reloading it is probably much faster and easier than the standard BUK systems.

Edit:
Never mind, S-350 is not the same missile as BUK. The size is clearly different, seen here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2czmbM7Vro

So S-350 fields a smaller new missile.. interesting.

Haavarla

If I'm not wrong the S-350 uses the 9M96, which is also used as one of the missiles in the S-400, wasn't it?
Did you do a little research on this?
Clearly the missile tubes on S-350 is much smaller than anything seen before on S-400.

Like i posted above. I don't know what kind of missiles the S-350 fields, but the tubes seems way slimmer vs even the BUK missiles.

Edit:
The S-350 is an army unit.
What gets me is why we don't see a slightly more standardize production of anti air missiles, not just between Army and Air/Space defence, but also between Navy and land systems.

There seems to be severe problems with the Navy SAM system, Poliment-Redut*with 9M96*missiles isn’t ready, and will have to be fitted right to finished frigates.

I don't understand what this means.. perhaps there are several versions like short to medium range of them.

I think the S-350 is severly delayed.

Last edited:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, well i thought the "U" was due to the the platform was mounted on tracks instead of wheels.. but all the Russian designations can be a challange.. at least for me.

The Radar on Pantsir-S2/S2U is a new design with a paired ESA array from its older versions. It get a better real time picture this way.

And the new Pantsir is a modular system, it can link up with S-400 command unit for better SA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQwOD6IoY58

I'm not sure if Tor-M2U can link up with S-400 system, it being an Army unit and all.. perhaps it can link up with the upcoming S-350 system once it get operational.

Speaking of S-350, it is a beefed up BUK system, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS2d5QRkKZk

Looks like a twelve tube launcher, and the idea of reloading it is probably much faster and easier than the standard BUK systems.

Edit:
Never mind, S-350 is not the same missile as BUK. The size is clearly different, seen here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2czmbM7Vro

So S-350 fields a smaller new missile.. interesting.
Tor can definitely link up with both S-300 and S-400. Both the Greeks and the Chinese use the Tor together with the S-300.

The S-350 allegedly uses the 9M96 and 9M100 missiles.

Poliment-Redut is delayed, with the Redut being the missile component, and Poliment being the radar. Redut is online on the 20380 corvettes but iirc only with the shorter range SAMs.