Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates

Gibbo

Nighthawk.NZ

Redlands18

More on the Maritime Fleet Market Research project from Naval News.

Indo Pacific 2023 International Maritime Exposition : 7-9 November 2023 : Sydney : Australia (indopacificexpo.com.au)
Would be expecting a major RNZN presence in Sydney this week for the Maritime Exposition, Damen, Fincantieri and Navantia who could provide a complete fleet solution are present. Babcock have already launched a bid for the Frigate replacement with the AH140.

Nighthawk.NZ

Indo Pacific 2023 International Maritime Exposition : 7-9 November 2023 : Sydney : Australia (indopacificexpo.com.au)
Would be expecting a major RNZN presence in Sydney this week for the Maritime Exposition, Damen, Fincantieri and Navantia who could provide a complete fleet solution are present. Babcock have already launched a bid for the Frigate replacement with the AH140.
Pretty sure i read article basically said a few chaps are there... will look for it after work and when i on me pc not me phone...:-/

recce.k1

The Australian Minister for Defence Industry (Pat Conroy) talks about interoperability and potential opportunities for ship building industry in Australia (and possibly he also means jointly with NZ eg local NZ module construction?) but it all depends on the outcome of the NZ fleet review of course.

But isn't it great that Aus/NZ can work closely together where and when required.

GREG JENNETT:All right. I notice some parallel, Pat Conroy, to this surface fleet review here in Australia. The New Zealand government is doing a wholesale re-examination of its surface fleet, some of which like for like with Australia’s current naval vessels as well – frigates, offshore patrol vessels. Had Australia given any thought to integrating New Zealand’s needs with Australia’s ship building requirements in the years ahead?

MINISTER CONROY:No, we haven’t so far. The New Zealand process is they’re still looking at their fleet. That is due basically to reach the end of life in mid-2030s. So they’re looking at what their options are. We’re very focused on where we can operate together, so interoperability is a critical feature. If there’s opportunities to build platforms together, if they eventuate, then we're happy to look at it. I'm really proud that Australia built the ANZAC Class frigate for both Australia and New Zealand, and that was a very successful project.
Source.

Maranoa

Did the RNZN ever release any imagery of the CAMM missile launch off HMNZS Te Mana earlier this year. Or any details.

Nighthawk.NZ

"Missile away HMNZS Te Mana conducted two successful Sea Ceptor surface-to-air missile firings this week in the East Australia Exercise Area, completing the final part of the frigate’s testing and evaluation process".
Source.
View attachment 50984

NZDF Media release:
well there is nooooooowwww.... lol ;):):rolleyes:

Last edited:

JohnJT

"Missile away HMNZS Te Mana conducted two successful Sea Ceptor surface-to-air missile firings this week in the East Australia Exercise Area, completing the final part of the frigate’s testing and evaluation process".
Source.
View attachment 50984

NZDF Media release:
I found this interesting:
The ‘threats’ were uncrewed aerial platforms, two-metre long drones, simulating inbound missiles. One was aimed at Te Mana and, two days later, one was targeted away from Te Mana to replicate an attack on another vessel operating with the ship.

This now means the frigates move from a solely ‘defend self’ position to a ‘defend others’ capability which allows for the missile defence of any other platform the frigates are operating with.
Hopefully there will be video following soon.

Aluminium Hail

Naval News also reports that the Penguin missiles are being re-engined, with a test fire next year. That article links to an OIA response to NZME (media company). The OIA is pretty interesting too.

"Naval News understands that the Sea Ceptor firing will be followed next year by the Royal New Zealand Air Force (RNZAF), which provides all naval helicopters to the RNZN, test-firing a re-motored AGM-119 Penguin anti-ship missile from an SH-2G(I) Seasprite Helicopter."

InterestedParty

Source.
View attachment 50984

NZDF Media release:
At the risk of sounding stupid, when these test firings are done, is it just to show that the missile clears the ship or is is a full test with a real target

JohnJT

The OIA is pretty interesting too.
It's pretty grim reading as far as the Seasprites are concerned. Sounds like they're on their last legs (three cockpit MFDs failing on one deployment), with a distinct lack of serviceable spares.
Only two aircraft available, having overflown one aircraft. Vibro programme reaping dividends. Concerned about CMFD: three failed in last FF deployment. Personnel resourcing on 6 SQN may dictate further reduction in a/c availability/flying rates.
Let's hope they don't have to ditch at sea...
Float Bladder. New item. 21 Installed, nil spares. SC SEA attempted to purchase a Float Bladder as one was being scrapped. OEM (GKN) stated they are obsolete; not manufactured for nearly 10 years. Tooling/supporting information no longer held. Furthermore, it has been found the Float Bladders have an 11 Year Discard Schedule from date first installed and 15 Year Discard from date of manufacture.

Last edited:

JohnJT

At the risk of sounding stupid, when these test firings are done, is it just to show that the missile clears the ship or is is a full test with a real target
Full test, real targets.
The targets were QinetiQ Air Affairs Australia Phoenix jet powered drones flying anti-ship missile profiles. Both were shot down successfully.