Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates

Redlands18

Is this going to cause expensive structural issues with the age of these ships and ours for that matter, what about to electrical systems in board? I've read HMNZS Canterbury had a few onboard fires in its last few years of service. I wonder if it would be worthwhile salvaging anything of our frigates to reuse on new ships, naval gun, ciws etc.
It’s like any piece of ageing machinery, how well was it built in the first place? How well was it maintained? How hard was it used? But as it ages machinery breaks down more often, spends longer in maintenance, spare parts become harder and more expensive to obtain.

Gibbo

The RFT for the Littoral Manoeuvre Craft was released on 16th December 2020, had a blackout period for Defence responses from 16 December 2020 until 11 January 2021 (NZ summer break) and closes at 1600 NZDT 15 March 2021.

They are after 3 craft with a GWT of about 10 tonne each. The craft are to have covered cockpits and working area for divers. They are to be armed with 2 x MAG-58 7.62 mm MG , 1 ea on mounts fore and aft. They are to be trailer transportable and capable of carrying FC-530 Zodiac boats including their outboard engines for deployment and recovery from the LMC. They envisage being able to carry a 10 man infantry section, fully kitted out, as well as the navy crew of 3. However they are mainly for the bubbleheads (divers) doing MCM work etc., and other bubblehead work. They want a range of 150 nm in SS0 at 30 knots and boats to be able to operate in SS5 in 4 m waves. It should be able to achieve 40 knots in SS0.
Hmm, interesting... like the sound of what they're after :cool:

John Newman

The Bunker Group
Didnt know that! Surprising, I thought Canada had a much bigger budget and a different mindset towards defence.
Mate, you should have a read back through the various Canadian threads, it makes for very sad reading.

Canadian procurement practices make the rest of us Aussies and you Kiwis look like superstars, even makes Indian procurement look good and efficient too.

Canada may have a bigger defence budget due to the size of the population, but it’s low as a percentage of GDP, and the mindset is pretty poor too.

Cheers,

kiwipatriot69

Mate, you should have a read back through the various Canadian threads, it makes for very sad reading.

Canadian procurement practices make the rest of us Aussies and you Kiwis look like superstars, even makes Indian procurement look good and efficient too.

Canada may have a bigger defence budget due to the size of the population, but it’s low as a percentage of GDP, and the mindset is pretty poor too.

Cheers,
Thanks, I'll do just that.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

Cheers,
You are being very polite and kind to our Canuck cousins @John Newman Are you after something? Yes you have pretty well much hit the nail on the head. It's very much a cultural thing with them. The obstinacy and arrogance of the French, mixed with the generosity of the Scots, and the temperament of the Irish. Everything has to be Canadianised and built in Canada. The Aussies like to have as many offsets as possible, but nothing like the Canucks.

Redlands18

Thanks, I'll do just that.
If you really want to find out how bad Canadian Defence procurement is, read up on the project to replace the Sea Kings in the Maritime Helicopter role, it started in the 1980s, they finally began receiving CH-148s in 2018, in the same period Australia has replaced their Sea Kings and then replaced the replacement.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
....then there is the RCN’s JSS which was deemed too expensive in 2000 that morphed into an AOR design and finally a Berlin class AOR was decided upon 8 years ago instead (Canadinized for local builder extra profit). The keel was laid in mid 2020 with delivery in....? Oh, the cost will greatly exceed the original cost of the proposed JSS from 2000.

kiwipatriot69

Well I suppose some consolation is Canada does have a shipbuilding capability . I can see the attraction selling a build to provide jobs and the local economy too. Something I wish Nz had.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Well I suppose some consolation is Canada does have a shipbuilding capability . I can see the attraction selling a build to provide jobs and the local economy too. Something I wish Nz had.
Yep it would be good in theory, but we would never have the capacity to make it worthwhile. It would be a boom and bust cycle with more bust than boom. However we possibly could have hulls built with machinery installed overseas, then shipped to NZ for fitting out here. It would have to be something thoroughly researched etc., to ensure that it was viable.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Well time will tell if our local build is worthwhile or not. It boils down to commitment to keep the fleet updated with a constant build program that keeps yards busy which in turn allows upgrading of shipyards and preservation of employee skill sets. This didn’t happen during the Halifax Class program and we are paying a heavy price to restore the capability. Hopefully it isn’t allowed to decay after building AOPS and frigates. The east coast yard should do ok but after the west cost yard builds the two AORs, I don’t see any future unless the government gives consideration to a couple of LHDs...very remote IMHO.

Nighthawk.NZ

I don’t see any future unless the government gives consideration to a couple of LHDs...very remote IMHO.
What is Canada's amphibious capability? ie; NZ with HMNZS Canterbury and expanding it with the proposed ESV by 2029. Aussie has a pretty decent capability for the size of their Defence force, the UK's is somewhat wonky.

I can't see a ship building in NZ ever being able to compete with the larger yards overseas. The yards in Whangarei have always really been touch and go, and they are more small to medium vessels and if we increase the capability and size of the yard to build larger vessels I can't see it being sustained as ngatimozart said it would be a boom and bust cycle.

kiwipatriot69

What is Canada's amphibious capability? ie; NZ with HMNZS Canterbury and expanding it with the proposed ESV by 2029. Aussie has a pretty decent capability for the size of their Defence force, the UK's is somewhat wonky.

I can't see a ship building in NZ ever being able to compete with the larger yards overseas. The yards in Whangarei have always really been touch and go, and they are more small to medium vessels and if we increase the capability and size of the yard to build larger vessels I can't see it being sustained as ngatimozart said it would be a boom and bust cycle.
Even with the number of large container ships and Cruise ships ect that New Zealand gets on a regular basis , having the capability to do repairs when not building ships can't work here? Surely there's a need for that?

Xthenaki

There is a need for a dock facility for maintenance, repair and modification work etc. but Not medium or large shipbuilding. Overseas - Various Government subsidies assist in lowering costs to a competitive level and others have a large source of cheap labour. Industrial efficencies and depth of support leave NZ well out of it.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group

Canada’s amphibious capability is zero.

KiwiRob

We couldn't even keep two of the best builders of luxury sailing yachts afloat despite having a favourable exchange rate and world beating products.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
We couldn't even keep two of the best builders of luxury sailing yachts afloat despite having a favourable exchange rate and world beating products.
Supertyacht building is a very competitive business. The egos of clients are focused on the prestige of the builder just as much as the cost. More importantly, governments will support military shipyards (and to a lesser extent commercial), but support for shipyards building rich guy toys, not too many votes to be gained doing that.

KiwiRob

Supertyacht building is a very competitive business. The egos of clients are focused on the prestige of the builder just as much as the cost. More importantly, governments will support military shipyards (and to a lesser extent commercial), but support for shipyards building rich guy toys, not too many votes to be gained doing that.
Alloy Yachts and Fitzroy were both very prestigious yards, with many awards to there names. Alloy at one point was the second largest builder of sailing yachts over 30m, the Italian yard Perini Navi was the largest.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Alloy Yachts and Fitzroy were both very prestigious yards, with many awards to there names. Alloy at one point was the second largest builder of sailing yachts over 30m, the Italian yard Perini Navi was the largest.
Royal Huisman IMO would always have been larger than Alloy. RH and PN also manufacture exotic automated sail handling kit. RH’s Rondal subsidiary is the gold standard for this type of kit. Unlike many commercial yards, Royal Huisman and believe also, Perini Navi, have never had to beg their respective governments for bailouts. Anyways, back to naval stuff.:)

KiwiRob

Royal Huisman IMO would always have been larger than Alloy. RH and PN also manufacture exotic automated sail handling kit. RH’s Rondal subsidiary is the gold standard for this type of kit. Unlike many commercial yards, Royal Huisman and believe also, Perini Navi, have never had to beg their respective governments for bailouts. Anyways, back to naval stuff.:)
Alloy also built all there own deck gear and sail handling systems.