Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates

Redlands18

I thought that they were also used for spotting?

oldsig
Actually that and Recon was their main role, but as WW2 went on and more and more Carriers entered service, Radars improved and the need for more and more AA Guns saw Navies began removing the Catapults and Aircraft from the Ships.

Hone C

Actually that and Recon was their main role, but as WW2 went on and more and more Carriers entered service, Radars improved and the need for more and more AA Guns saw Navies began removing the Catapults and Aircraft from the Ships.
Almost ironic that we've come (nearly) full circle and are looking to launch UAVs off surface vessels to extend sensor range. Mattis was right "No new thing under the sun"

Redlands18

I could probably throw in the Submarine threat as well, as the video provided by NG shows, the task of recovering the planes was pretty slow and the Ship had to be stopped, making it extremely vulnerable to Subs.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I could probably throw in the Submarine threat as well, as the video provided by NG shows, the task of recovering the planes was pretty slow and the Ship had to be stopped, making it extremely vulnerable to Subs.
Yes it does make you wonder and that was a pre WW2 video. The RN then, amongst many other navies, was still a battleship navy and didn't fully appreciate the threat of aircraft and submarines even after Glorious was sunk and the FAA attack on Taranto. The IJN watched and learned resulting in Pearl Harbour because Taranto showed them the aircraft dropped torpedoes could be done in shallow waters. The RN didn't learn the obvious lessons about capital ships and airpower when it sallied Prince of Wales and Repulse from Singapore without air cover, only for them to be sunk by Japanese aircraft.

InterestedParty

I thought that they were also used for spotting?

oldsig
I understand that the capital ships had different coloured dyes inserted somehow into their main battery shells so the spotters could identify which ships were over or undershooting the target.
Is this correct, I haven't found a lot of information on this and don't have access to any of Norman Friedman's books

swerve

Super Moderator
Yes it does make you wonder and that was a pre WW2 video. The RN then, amongst many other navies, was still a battleship navy and didn't fully appreciate the threat of aircraft and submarines even after Glorious was sunk and the FAA attack on Taranto. The IJN watched and learned resulting in Pearl Harbour because Taranto showed them the aircraft dropped torpedoes could be done in shallow waters. The RN didn't learn the obvious lessons about capital ships and airpower when it sallied Prince of Wales and Repulse from Singapore without air cover, only for them to be sunk by Japanese aircraft.
I'm not sure how much of that was Phillips being blind to air power in general, how much blindness to the range of Japanese torpedo bombers, & how much underestimation of the Japanese. A bit of each, I think, & all inexcusable, as is the failure to request air cover immediately when attacked. He knew it was available, having had offers from both the RAF & RAAF.

Nighthawk.NZ

Defence Minister Ron Mark is adamant there is no danger in sending Royal New Zealand Navy (RNZN) personnel to RIMPAC 2020.

"We will deploy a Covid-19-free vessel, with Covid-19-free crew," Minister Mark says. "It will stay isolated from all other people."

Mark is sending the RNZNS Manawanui, a dive and hydrographic vessel, rather than a combat vessel.

New Zealand's two frontline ANZAC frigates, Te Mana and Te Kaha are being refitted in Canada.

Mark says RIMPAC is an opportunity to practise working with New Zealand's close allies on the Pacific Rim.

RIMPAC is a biennial military exercise that gives military forces the opportunity to train with each other and gain intelligence. This year's RIMPAC exercise will be naval only, due to Covid-19.

The defence minister isn't concerned that the Manawanui is being deployed, saying it has many uses.

He notes it has the ability to enhance and protect the environment.

Mark says the Manawanui has been deployed to clean the oceans, survey the environment, and deactivate World War II munition
The video has Ron Mark speaking saying why we should go to Rimpac, and how they will stay safe from covid etc...

kiwipatriot69

That reporter comparing the Manuwanui to a cruise ship regarding the infection risk . Lol! Does she expect crew to be leaving at several times per day in batches for sightseeing and shopping? $85 thousand qouted for the cost of NZ participation, I'd say that's good value for the experience learned.

Redlands18

That reporter comparing the Manuwanui to a cruise ship regarding the infection risk . Lol! Does she expect crew to be leaving at several times per day in batches for sightseeing and shopping? $85 thousand qouted for the cost of Nz participation, I'd say that's good value for the experiance learned.
RIMPAC will be an at Sea Exercise only, Port visits for supplies only, no Shore leave

oldsig127

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro

JohnJT

For those that are interested... Some 3D Graphic Models of the frigates (after upgrades...) I am not sure how accurate they are though...

3D zealand meko te mana - TurboSquid 1565435

3D australian new zealand meko - TurboSquid 1565448
Comparing to the pictures posted on your own site there are a few inaccuracies with the NZ ship:
it still has it's Mk 41 VLS (no Sea Ceptor VLS), it's missing the satcom and missile datalink domes on top of the bridge, it has SRBOC launchers fitted in front of the bridge, the CESM antenna and the Elisra ESM antenna are incorrect.

Last edited: