Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates

aussienscale

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro

Apparently so...

Congrats NZ, nice looking ship that will provide stellar service for many years to come no doubt.

Info has been very quiet on the Anzacs for you guys, has anyone seen any reputable updates on what is happening ?

Cheers

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Congrats NZ, nice looking ship that will provide stellar service for many years to come no doubt.

Info has been very quiet on the Anzacs for you guys, has anyone seen any reputable updates on what is happening ?

Cheers
Received my copy of the latest Navy Today through the snail mail today and in his column, CN said that Te Kaha is due back by the end of the year.

Lucasnz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Having seen the extrusions above the flight deck on HMNZS Aotearoa better - Mini Typhoon seems to be extent of the capability.

Nighthawk.NZ

Having seen the extrusions above the flight deck on HMNZS Aotearoa better - Mini Typhoon seems to be extent of the capability.
I don't think the mini typhoons will be mounted there...as a very limited firing arc... and most likely for auto fire fighting mounts and or for maintenance etc...

But if you look closely there is provision amidships on the superstructure there seems to be a spot and mounts there... However I will admit I don't know...

roa.png

kiwi in exile

Theres an opinion piece in the June Defence Technology Review (page 38) critical of the armament of the new RAN AORs (Phalanx 1B x1, 2x 25mm typhoon, 4x HMGs). To quote the writer Phalanx is "in the twilight of it's operational relevance". I kinda agree. There is a CIWS thread elsewhere on the forum. Current planned armament for Aotearoa is sufficient, but I would like to see it capable of being upgunned with a better CIWS at least. And upgrade Mini-typhoons to typhoon 25-30mm.

It will be interesting to see if/how the NZG responds to Australia's recent spending anouncement.

InterestedParty

Can I ask what is the purpose of the ROA written on the flight deck. I presume its the last 3 characters of the ships name, perhaps for lost helicopter pilots?

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Can I ask what is the purpose of the ROA written on the flight deck. I presume its the last 3 characters of the ships name, perhaps for lost helicopter pilots?
Yes ROA is the short hand for Aotearoa. All flight decks have either the ships pennant number or an unique identification code displayed so that they can be easily identified from the air. Naval aviators are never lost, maybe geographically misplaced, but never lost.

Rob c

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Yes ROA is the short hand for Aotearoa. All flight decks have either the ships pennant number or an unique identification code displayed so that they can be easily identified from the air. Naval aviators are never lost, maybe geographically misplaced, but never lost.
Yep, they know if there is water underneath they need to find something solid to land on as it is not a good idea tp land on water especially if it has a lot of large moving bits in it (waves.). big solid bits underneath brings the heart rate down.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Yep, they know if there is water underneath they need to find something solid to land on as it is not a good idea tp land on water especially if it has a lot of large moving bits in it (waves.). big solid bits underneath brings the heart rate down.
And if they miss the solid bit and land in the big wobbly bit they have a lot of explaining to do. Then there's the paperwork - oh the paperwork.

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
In serious terms, think of the situation in the 1960s when this started; there were potentially dozens of decks in a task force, and from a thousand feet or so they all look similar. Adding deck letters (or numbers) didn’t cost much, and provided positive identification from above.

(OK, I know carriers had letters on their flight decks back as far as te 30s, but I’m not going to get into a discussion about that)

Redlands18

In serious terms, think of the situation in the 1960s when this started; there were potentially dozens of decks in a task force, and from a thousand feet or so they all look similar. Adding deck letters (or numbers) didn’t cost much, and provided positive identification from above.

(OK, I know carriers had letters on their flight decks back as far as te 30s, but I’m not going to get into a discussion about that)
Battleships and Cruisers were operating Sea Planes from about 1920-45 so you would think they would have some form of ID as well

Gibbo

Battleships and Cruisers were operating Sea Planes from about 1920-45 so you would think they would have some form of ID as well
LOL... ever tried landing an aircraft back on a Battleship or Cruiser? Slingshot off, and don't come back...cos there's no flight deck! :p

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Well the earlier RNZN Cruisers were "anti-aircraft" in part of their role so catapulting the odd Fairey Seafox off the bow probably was an honest attempt to get rid of the plane. ;)
They were catapulted off amidships
And if you were studious and watched the video until the end you will see how the aircraft was recovered, as Assail's photo shows.