Welcome to DefenceTalk.com Forum!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates

Discussion in 'Navy & Maritime' started by Padman, May 16, 2006.

Share This Page

1. Gibbo

Gibbo Active Member

Yes absolutely convinced she will be the darling of the fleet & a very capable player! She won't be far from going to sea.

2. Gibbo

Gibbo Active Member

Yes doesn't surprise me either... typical damn penny pinching at the cost of capability. The vessel at almost $500M is actually quite expensive & yes she'll be a great asset, but what would a CIWS add to the budget...and the price of a couple of mini-typhoons... really? RNZN should at least go for manually operated .5 cal HMG's as an alternative but sounds like even that won't happen. What a friggin joke! 'Fitted for but without' is a cop-out and unless they actually intend to actively move those weapons across at times to ensure SOPS are in place & crew familiarised then she'll never ever deploy them. :mad:

ngatimozart likes this.
  3. Nighthawk.NZ

Nighthawk.NZ Member

How can the crew learn the equipment if they don't get to use it, ie, using it and learning firing arcs, maintenance and familiarisation and the like while they can learn some of it on the frigates... but some of the younger crew may come straight out of training. And also if you are not doing it all the time it is easy to forget and that is for the older crew.

The other question I have is adding an extra 6.5 tons of the CWIS Phalanx (plus 12 full 20ft containers) must effect the performance and weight distribution ... would have thought (to be honest) that they would want to know this during sea trials??? I suppose redistribution of the tanks would help etc... but still...?

4. Gibbo

Gibbo Active Member

So nothing to stop RNZN stumping up 4-6 .5 cal HMG's... but bet they don't! So could RNZN be guilty themselves of this head in the sand thinking?

5. Nighthawk.NZ

Nighthawk.NZ Member

What do have that many in stock?... lol

On this I believe it would be gubberment cuts... as I am pretty sure no sailor would say;

"oh it is fine to take away our ship defences... just make sure you put them back when we need them... even though that could be anywhere at any time at any port we visit around the world... you know it's fine..."

Yeah pretty that's what they are saying... lol

As for sea trials and weight thing I am going to say... ummmmmm dunno... lol

kiwipatriot69 likes this.
  6. Redlands18

Redlands18 Active Member

If terrorists are game enough to attack a Burke Class DDG tied up alongside they would be rubbing there hands over an undefended AOR knowing full well it’s not carrying a weapon system that would kill a small boat

7. Nighthawk.NZ

Nighthawk.NZ Member

How do I say "exactly" and make it longer than few words to keep within the rules...

However; Exactly...

kiwipatriot69 likes this.
  8. spoz

spoz Active Member

Many modern ships have fibre backbones, at least, to their various networks although it’s mostly about bandwidth. However, it does somewhat ease the bundling problem; but has no real effect on the upper deck problem. Oldsig is exactly right in describing the actual problem; and as more emitters or receiving aerials are fitted, it gets more and more difficult.

9. kiwipatriot69

kiwipatriot69 Active Member

Did the old Manawanui have machine guns mounted at all times? Just wondering if they could be ported over. And yeah, its crazy to invest so much money in such an important vessel, and not protect its crew . These days an act of terror can happen anywhere, even in my safe city of Christchurch.

10. Todjaeger

Todjaeger Potstirrer

I asked the question about fibre in part because I have seen where cabling to a PA system actually received EMI from a nearby HF antenna when it keyed up, the PA system would start broadcasting noise. It was rather awkward because the PA system was in a building which was a joint courthouse and EOC, and court was in session at the time... The only ways to prevent that from happening were to either stop using the HF radio, or rip out the PA system, including all the wiring in the walls, and replace it with another system which was better shielded. At this point we just moved the whole system to another building at a different site to provide a location for the EOC while a brand new facility is being designed and then will be built.

11. Nighthawk.NZ

Nighthawk.NZ Member

I am not 100% sure... but I believe they ported... but I could be wrong... it wouldn't surprise me either way... lol

12. Nighthawk.NZ

Nighthawk.NZ Member

Article on the RNZN in the EDR (European Defence Review) magazine Jan/Feb 2020
    Page 19 - 26

EDR N°49 - Jan/Feb 2020

ngatimozart likes this.
  13. Gibbo

Gibbo Active Member

Potential indication Manawanui may be close... travelling over harbour this morning at 7am noticed she was now, for the first time I've seen, tied-up on the outer (city side) of the main outer (south) wharf... only seemingly ever seen operational vessels tied-up there! She was in the same place at 5.45pm when I headed home (it's quite challenging to look back over your shoulder toward DNB in heavy traffic when crossing the bridge southbound).

Novascotiaboy and ngatimozart like this.
  14. shipJGR

shipJGR New Member

The Environship hull form should lead to better speed and/or reduced fuel consumption in a seaway. IOW, the real world average speed should be closer to the maximum speed than a conventional hull form, (partially?) mitigating the lower maximum speed. Lower ship motions in a seaway contribute to this advantage. Sorry, but it’s been decades since I worked in this general area and it took a while for me to remember this deeply buried information.

As a reference, please see the last bullet point in this article. Tsuji Heavy Starts Works on World’s First LNG-powered Cargo Vessel

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020 at 1:52 PM
    ngatimozart and Rob c like this.
  15. alexsa

alexsa Defense Professional Verified Defense Pro

For commerical ships contracts normally look at sustained speeds and 16 knots is pretty average and many vessels with low block coeffcients can sustain this with little trouble. Sustained speeds above 18 knots (into the 20 knot range) need optimised hull forms. Lowering the operating speed of vessel sometimes needs tweaks as well as was found when many box boats were operating at lower speeds to save fuel and improve their EEDI.

I suspect the hull form in this case is designed around efficiency for the purpose of the EEDI requried by Annex VI of MARPOL.

16. Nighthawk.NZ

Nighthawk.NZ Member

Cleared for departure ✅ HMNZS Manawanui heads to sea for the first time since her commissioning in June last year, as part of her Sea Acceptance Readiness Checks. It all builds towards Operation Readiness for our Navy's newest fleet member. HMNZS Manawanui

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020 at 4:16 AM
  17. Nighthawk.NZ

Nighthawk.NZ Member

From another webbysite I frequent
    So by the sounds of it they got the USB cables mixed up...:eek::D

18. Gibbo

Gibbo Active Member

Zooming in on the pic looks like weapons station on front outer edges of deck below bridge...assume this will be 1 x manually operated .5 cal HMG per side... as per Manawanui III. Wonder if that's a standard RHIB in the port davit... artist impressions last year suggested a cabin RHIB which would possibly act as a detached diver tender... or maybe the REA boats that we never hear talk of anymore (which I suspect might have been quietly 'scuttled'!?!)

19. spoz

spoz Active Member

It may limit her, or it may not. Certainly, fast routing speed tends to be18 knots these days, so integration in an Aust or US TG might be problematic but that isn’t really something that Endeavour did much of. She was more of a station tanker and 16 knots is fine for that, and for the Antarctic role.

20. ngatimozart

ngatimozart Super Moderator Staff Member Verified Defense Pro

I saw that there too and if correct, would not surprise me in the slightest.