Welcome to DefenceTalk.com Forum!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates

Discussion in 'Navy & Maritime' started by Padman, May 16, 2006.

Share This Page

1. Gibbo

Gibbo Active Member

Yes definitely Manawanui - typical press although you'd think something as fundamental as a vessels name would've been correct on a Naval related site...duh!

For some strange reason I thought the RNZN already had a Seaeye Cougar... but this article suggests it's new... certainly a capable ROV for u/w utility tasks: COUGAR BEST FOR ROYAL NEW ZEALAND NAVY | Saab Seaeye

2. htbrst

htbrst Active Member

Obviously not RNZN related as it predates the Navy by 70 years but I thought others on here might be interested in NZ's submarine built in 1873 - the Platypus. She still exists (well, 2/3's), and is in the news today to start fundraising to more adequate preservation.

She is arguable a submarine as she did had have her own independent propulsion (water wheels on the side), a ballast system and independent air reservoirs albeit refilled via a hose to the surface - but is probably better described as a submersible.

Beached as: Super-rare 1870s submarine washes up in landlocked Otago town

Pages with more detail:
    The first and last Kiwi submarine sits far inland at Middlemarch in Central Otago.
    https://divenewzealand.co.nz/article-627/

3. ngatimozart

ngatimozart Super Moderator Staff Member Verified Defense Pro

Well I for one wouldn't want to be inside it in the Clutha River for all the gold that was found in the region. It's the most dangerous river in NZ. If you go swimming in it - you die, purely because of the water temperature, depth and velocity of the water flow. Pre dam construction she was a far more dangerous river.

4. kiwipatriot69

kiwipatriot69 Member

Incredible to know Australia was building subs 150 years ago, or that it's Hull seems relativly unaffected by being underwater all that time.

Here I was thinking the Collins class was Australia's first crack at sub building! I hope maybe the govt could help with restoration ect, this is a important piece of our history.

5. beegee

beegee Active Member

Australia? According to the article it was designed in France and built in Dunedin.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  6. ngatimozart

The Edda Fonn (Nuship Manawanui) has departed Haugesund, Norway, for Frederickshavn, Denmark, where it is to undergo modifications for RNZN dive and hydrographic capabilities. It is now in drydock at Frederickshavn.

7. MrConservative

MrConservative Super Moderator Staff Member

Since the new Manawanui is not going to have Whiti City as its ceremonial homeport any longer, the least the Navy could do its keep it in its current Swamp Foxes colours! :)

8. ngatimozart

Dream on sunshine. There are only one true set of colours and that is red & black.

9. Lucasnz

Lucasnz Super Moderator Staff Member Verified Defense Pro

Alas you are all mistaken - Blue and Gold forever
    [​IMG]

10. Redlands18

Redlands18 Active Member

Someone want to explain to us non Kiwis what the bl$#@y hell Blue,Gold,Black,Red has got to do with the RNZN, is this a Rugby League thing?:D

11. ngatimozart

RNZN ships have affiliations to home ports and adopt the colours of their provinces. It's not a Rugby League thing but the one true sport, Rugby Union, so the ships sports teams wear the colours of their provinces. Canterbury is red & black, Otago blue & gold, Wellington yellow & black, etc. Mr C's beloved Swamp Foxes aren't a First Division team like Canterbury or Wellington but a Third Division team who did very well last season winning their division but @MrConservative appears to think that they should be a Super Rugby franchise :p:D

tongan_yam likes this.
  12. MrConservative

MrConservative Super Moderator Staff Member

The Swamp Foxes are my favourite underdog team. They of course thrashed Australia 16-14 in 1962.

My beloved White and Blues who proudly wear the HMS Endeavour emblem won the Mitre 10 Premiership last year BTW.

40 deg south and Cadredave like this.
  13. 40 deg south

40 deg south Well-Known Member

Truely, every day is a school day.

How the hell did they manage it - drown the Aussies in a peat bog at half time?

tongan_yam and ngatimozart like this.
  14. 40 deg south

HMS Montrose on rare visit to Darwin | Royal Navy

Good to see NZ took advantage of the visiting RN frigate by embarking four sailors on the next leg of their voyage. Looks as if they have had a chance to play with the SeaCeptor control panel, which should come in handy soon.

OldNavy63 and ngatimozart like this.
  15. 40 deg south

Calculus has just posted a LockMart video on the Canadian thread, covering the Halifax upgrade and CMS330.

Since NZ is getting the same system, I'll post a link here for future reference.

tongan_yam and ngatimozart like this.
  16. 40 deg south

ngatimozart and Calculus like this.
  17. Calculus

Calculus Active Member

Canada will definitely have ESSM on the CSC, but the question of CIADS is still a bit hazy. The CSC models and renderings seem to indicate this role will be filled by SeaRAM, but when I attended the local defence trade show last May (CANSEC 2018), I noticed that MBDA was pushing CAMM for that role. It actually got picked up by Jane's: Sea Ceptor pitched for CSC CIADS [CANSEC18D1] | Jane's 360

They even suggested that both systems could co-exist together in the CIADS role (RAM + CAMM). With a design contract recently signed, we should start to see some details on the CSC configuration soon. CAMM looks like a good solution, but it would require the RCN take on a new system for a capability that is arguably covered by RAM + ESSM anyway, so I would be surprised to see this end up in the final CSC design.

40 deg south likes this.
  18. beegee

beegee Active Member

Yeah, I agree. The problem with fitting ESSM and CAMM to the same vessel is the missiles share a large percentage of each other's engagement envelope. There's too much overlap in capability to justify the expense of both systems.

Arguably, a better pairing would be CAMM and SM-2/6. CAMM covers the inner layer defence out to medium range and SM-2/6 covers medium range and above. Pair that combo with the Thales APAR blk 2 MFR and you have a powerful AAW setup (my secret hope for NZ's ANZAC replacement :D)

40 deg south and Cadredave like this.
  19. 40 deg south

20. 40 deg south

Royal NZ Navy on Twitter

RNZN Twitter advises that Te Mana has now departed for Canada to begin her mid-life upgrade.

We will temporarily boast a no-frigate navy.