Welcome to DefenceTalk.com Forum!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates

Discussion in 'Navy & Maritime' started by Padman, May 16, 2006.

Share This Page

1. kiwipatriot69

kiwipatriot69 Member

I'd be keen to see it too, but as its a flight for me, I'd be waiting for a lytellton port visit, who knows when.

2. Rob c

Rob c Active Member

And don't forget the import licencing system, which controlled what and how much could be imported. and the huge import taxes that were applied to any imports. From memory there was an import tax of 115% on electronic goods and something like 75% on cars. It was a bureaucratic nightmare to navigate the system and the bureaucrats and pollies loved it as it kept thousands in work for the government along with a lot of other government inefficiencies like the railways and the Public works department.

3. ngatimozart

ngatimozart Super Moderator Staff Member Verified Defense Pro

The Railways & Ministry of Works were the two largest social welfare departments in the country. The Ministry of Social Welfare was the third largest. You are dead right about the bureaucratic nightmare.

4. ngatimozart

Latest photos of the HMNZS Aotearoa build. It's coming along nicely by all appearances.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Source: nighthawknz

5. t68

t68 Well-Known Member

Interesting I always thought the bulbous bow protruded forward to reduce drag from the hull form of the ship

Redlands18 likes this.
  6. hauritz

hauritz Well-Known Member

I think it has something to do with ice breaking. The bulb lifts the ice and the bow splits it.

7. KiwiRob

KiwiRob Active Member

No, Aotearoa uses Rolls-Royce’s Environship hull concept, it's a wave piercing bow, it's not an ice breaking bow design. According the Rolls Royce the new innovative bow shape and hull form, will reduce resistance by up to 8 per cent, therefore reducing fuel burn and emissions over a conventional design.

40 deg south, alexsa, Rob c and 2 others like this.
  8. alexsa

alexsa Defense Professional Verified Defense Pro

Yep she is Ice class not an ice breaker. The shape of the bow and appendages is driven by the hull form, block coefficient and planned operating speed. There has been a lot of work in this regard with some novel designs. The stem is quite fine so that would not interfere too much with water flow and the 'wave making' potential should still be low. The fact is that to produce a bow wave you impart energy. If you reduce the wave then less energy is lost. If you think of a bow wave as a sine wave and you produce a counter wave through changes to the bow form then the wave height will be lower.

Not single bow design covers all requirements. As noted aboved the shape of the bow and any bulb is driven by the hull form, block coefficient and planned operating speed.

To give you an example, maersk changed the bulb on their large box boats when they decided that they would steam at slower speeds. The shape originally fitted was inefficient at such speeds.

Maersk plans nose jobs

For your reading pleasure

What's The Importance Of Bulbous Bow Of Ships?

9. MrConservative

MrConservative Super Moderator Staff Member

Yes. I should have written DMSE designed rather than build. The RoK DAPA like to distribute the work that is why DMSE and HHI are often coordinated into the procurement contract to build each others designs.

10. MrConservative

Fair enough. But personally I would rather the work was done here locally. We do build large high tech dairy factories in this country, which are more complex projects and I would like to see a heavy engineering and steel fabrication sector nurtured.

11. Womble 47

Womble 47 New Member

Mr C
    I agree totally with your thinking.I respectfully suggest that you consider the heavy engineering firms that support the pulp mills and the petrochemical industry .I have had considerable dealings with heavy engineering items bought in from offshore that have have found wanting both in quality and service. It is better to build locally even there is a short term disadvantage in cost .

12. MrConservative

Indeed with respect to Petrochemicals & Oil what with the current policy madness to kill that industry off. All those 45-55 year old craftsman welders and fitters & turners are probably not going to be first cab off the employment rank in all those promised replacement bellhop and barista jobs.

kiwipatriot69, Gomer and Womble 47 like this.
  13. 40 deg south

40 deg south Well-Known Member

Empty Shipyard and Suicides as "Hyundai Town" Grapples with Grim Future – gCaptain

Despite the overly dramatic title, this is a good piece on the struggles of Korea's shipbuilding sector. The American author naturally draws a comparison with the Midwest Rust Belt, but the decline of British shipbuilding in the 1950s and 60s is a more relevant parallel. Fortunately for the Koreans, things haven't gone downhill nearly that far or fast.

14. John Fedup

John Fedup Well-Known Member

....and Korea has thriving electronics and auto sectors to fall back on

15. ngatimozart

Te Kaha FSU update with forward and aft masts being installed. Images taken from the latest RNZN twitter tweet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Source: RNZN.

kiwipatriot69 likes this.
  16. ngatimozart

RNZN graphic on relative sizes above water line of its future fleet. Quite an interesting graphic, show how the individual platform sizes are increasing over time.

[​IMG]

Calculus and kiwipatriot69 like this.
  17. Gibbo

Gibbo Active Member

Yep cool graphic. Does however sheet home to me that with RNZN planning to get rid of the IPV the RNZN will become a 7 ship Navy (8 with SOPV & if we're really lucky 9 with a LOSV in addition to Man)! They were at one point harping up the overall tonnage to try & gloss over the reduction in vessels! I've stated before why I think 2 x IPVs still have a place but unless the DCP directs a turnaround then they're going to disappear in the next 3-4 years.

ngatimozart likes this.
  18. Calculus

Calculus Active Member

I'm pretty impressed with the way HMNZS Resolution's replacement was selected, and the way it is being kitted out. Latest here: New Zealand’s new dive support vessel gets Cougar XT ROV

That's some very impressive capability for a bargain basement price. I'm not certain the RNZN could have dome much better with a custom design. The project team should get a big BZ for this procurement.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  19. Calculus

Calculus Active Member

Hi guys, I'm a bit confused by the link I posted above. Is the new Dive and Hydrographic Vessel going to be named Resolution as well? I understand this new vessel is replacing two older ones, but for some reason I'm having a hard time finding her name. The infographic posted by @ngatimozart suggest she might be named Manawanui. Is this correct?

20. Calculus

Calculus Active Member

Never mind. Found it. Manawanui it is. NavalToday.com got it wrong I guess.