Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates

beegee

Some shots of the interior as built of Exda Fonn

Edda Fonn - Maritime Interior Vietnam

Very nice indeed. Not having served myself if this is compatible to Navy accomodations why are you having retention issues .
Looks good, but it's worth pointing out that neither of the two ships pictured in that gallery are the Edda Fonn.

It looks like that gallery is from all of their projects, you get the same pictures coming up on other vessels as well. But I'm sure it's representative.

Last edited:

RegR

Good looking ship, seems more capable than the old girl and that gave us decades of stirling service, long may it continue.

alexsa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Well she's not been neglected at least... engine & crankcase overhaul 2011... Overhauled Edda Fonn
The vessel was in class with an IACS member so there really was no choice with regard to minimum maintenance. The same cannot be said for warships as they are able to negotiate the maintenance cycle. I accept there are ‘levels’ of compliance within ships classed by IACS members but it is harder to get away with deferring things for operational reasons.

kiwipatriot69

The vessel was in class with an IACS member so there really was no choice with regard to minimum maintenance. The same cannot be said for warships as they are able to negotiate the maintenance cycle. I accept there are ‘levels’ of compliance within ships classed by IACS members but it is harder to get away with deferring things for operational reasons.
As a comparison, how often would say a warship like our frigates go through a similar overhaul?

alexsa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
As a comparison, how often would say a warship like our frigates go through a similar overhaul?
It’s not how often but the scope of coverage. If will look at B1, B2 and Tobruk ,,,,,,, a lot of the condition issues were made worse by the fact inspections were deferred or work was deferred in order to keep the ships at sea. Warships are not required to comply with survey cycle (be it annual or continuous) and in some case no such set cycle exists.

Merchant ships cannot get away with this were the Harmonised System of Survey and Certification is regiously enforced.

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
OTH, warships are maintained on a cyclic process which is known, in Aust at least, as the Usage Upkeep Cycle (UUC), which in turn leads to development of a Class Maintenance Plan. Typically, a complete cycle is 8 or 10 years, with what’s known as a mid cycle docking (or Docking Selected Restricted Availability, DSRA) at the, ah, middle of the cycle so every four or five years. Such work is normally undertaken either then or at a DSRA at the end of the cycle.

While maintenance can be deferred it is never a decision that is taken lightly; and in the RAN it now requires very senior approval indeed, and that is given increasingly rarely.

alexsa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
OTH, warships are maintained on a cyclic process which is known, in Aust at least, as the Usage Upkeep Cycle (UUC), which in turn leads to development of a Class Maintenance Plan. Typically, a complete cycle is 8 or 10 years, with what’s known as a mid cycle docking (or Docking Selected Restricted Availability, DSRA) at the, ah, middle of the cycle so every four or five years. Such work is normally undertaken either then or at a DSRA at the end of the cycle.

While maintenance can be deferred it is never a decision that is taken lightly; and in the RAN it now requires very senior approval indeed, and that is given increasingly rarely.
Agree but there is still scope within the seaworthiness process to push it back or modify the maintenance process. Added to that I understand that some maintenance and test processes are over done (i.e inspection of LSA) while otters tend to be underdone. There also a need to clear URDEFS and (noting this is second hand) that is getting our of hand in some cases.

For merchant ships serious deficiencies are dealt with under a condition of class and these are required to be cleared by given date or class can be revoked/suspected and/or the Administration can step in. No ship can complete the next cycle with any CoC outstanding.

The problem wiht a lot of our current RAN vessels is they are really not ‘built to class’ (as in warship rules) rather they are build to a range of rules selected by CASG as the survey baseline. This is not a coherent way to do it. The T26 may be a change there....

Anyway I digress and have gone OT.... Sorry

kiwipatriot69

Agree but there is still scope within the seaworthiness process to push it back or modify the maintenance process. Added to that I understand that some maintenance and test processes are over done (i.e inspection of LSA) while otters tend to be underdone. There also a need to clear URDEFS and (noting this is second hand) that is getting our of hand in some cases.

For merchant ships serious deficiencies are dealt with under a condition of class and these are required to be cleared by given date or class can be revoked/suspected and/or the Administration can step in. No ship can complete the next cycle with any CoC outstanding.

The problem wiht a lot of our current RAN vessels is they are really not ‘built to class’ (as in warship rules) rather they are build to a range of rules selected by CASG as the survey baseline. This is not a coherent way to do it. The T26 may be a change there....

Anyway I digress and have gone OT.... Sorry
I was actually refering to rnzn navy and our frigate maintainence frequency. Or say the Opv or Mrv in service. What sea states was Edda fonn designed to deal with, for that matter?

beegee

I had a spare 20 minutes, so I thought I'd come up with a thoroughly researched and deeply reasoned solution to NZ's ANZAC replacement requirement and Australia's frustration with NZ's weak commitment to defence. A true win-win solution. :cool:

Instead of NZ buying 2-3 ships to replace the ANZACs, we instead buy only one, a single Hunter class frigate. Now here's the genius part; in order to secure NZ's purchase, the Australian Government will then commit to build two extra Hunters for NZ, for FREE. :eek: Kinda a buy one get two free deal.

Why on earth would Australia do that, I hear you ask. Several reasons. Firstly, adding an extra three ships to the build will lower the average hull price across the entire build. Secondly, since the ships are being built in Australia most of the money will go straight back into the Australian economy, securing jobs and helping ensure the success of Australia's continuous build policy. Thirdly, the ships will be manned, armed and operated by the RNZN, so for the cost of two hulls Australia will have gained an ally with three powerful warships, increased interoperability and will have added to the combined strength of both nations.

We just need Australia to come to the party. ;)

Last edited:

t68

I had a spare 20 minutes, so I thought I'd come up with a thoroughly researched and deeply reasoned solution to NZ's ANZAC replacement requirement and Australia's frustration with NZ's weak commitment to defence. A true win-win solution. :cool:

Instead of NZ buying 2-3 ships to replace the ANZACs, we instead buy only one, a single Hunter class frigate. Now here's the genius part; in order to secure NZ's purchase, the Australian Government will then commit to build two extra Hunters for NZ, for FREE. :eek: Kinda a buy one get two free deal.

Why on earth would Australia do that, I hear you ask. Several reasons. Firstly, adding an extra three ships to the build will lower the average hull price across the entire build. Secondly, since the ships are being built in Australia most of the money will go straight back into the Australian economy, securing jobs and helping ensure the success of Australia's continuous build policy. Thirdly, the ships will be manned, armed and operated by the RNZN, so for the cost of two hulls Australia will have gained an ally with three powerful warships, increased interoperability and will have added to the combined strength of both nations.

I believe that the cost to NZ for the Anzacs we virtually did that originally

MrConservative

Super Moderator
Staff member

So Australia, which is still $18B short of a budgetary surplus and has government debt of over $550B is going to gift a country which is already an ally, which has surpluses of $4B and debt of $87B two free vessels worth at least $3B. Yep I can see that would go down enthusiastically in OZ voter land.

alexsa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I was actually refering to rnzn navy and our frigate maintainence frequency. Or say the Opv or Mrv in service. What sea states was Edda fonn designed to deal with, for that matter?
Be careful of sea states. The RNZN OPV’s were a northern design but the design required modification for the wave period and height expected in the southern ocean (this does not mean they can withstand everything that the southern ocean will throw at them but means they have a strengthen fore structure wiht withstand wave pressure on the deck). Sea state is very generic and does not capture such subtleties. I would expect the NZ DoD would be well aware of the vessels operating capabilities and limitations. I expect it will be capable of operating in pretty horrible conditions without necessarily being built to withstand the worst of the southern ocean.

beegee

So Australia, which is still $18B short of a budgetary surplus and has government debt of over $550B is going to gift a country which is already an ally, which has surpluses of $4B and debt of $87B two free vessels worth at least $3B. Yep I can see that would go down enthusiastically in OZ voter land.
We could throw in some free butter and the Bledisloe cup to sweeten the deal.

I know it's not going to happen.:(

Last edited:

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Just imagine what a green party coalition would do for Australia's defence policy, worked wonders for ours...
Could be worse, there might be an Australian junior lurking in your future.:D Seriously though, I have the impression most Australians appreciate the need for a capable defence force, something voters in Canada and NZ don't think is all that important. In NZ's case, geography negates the need, while Canada's next door neighbour is our excuse. Both reasons are no longer valid IMO and probably never were.

kiwipatriot69

Could be worse, there might be an Australian junior lurking in your future.:D Seriously though, I have the impression most Australians appreciate the need for a capable defence force, something voters in Canada and NZ don't think is all that important. In NZ's case, geography negates the need, while Canada's next door neighbour is our excuse. Both reasons are no longer valid IMO and probably never were.
Yes, one thing that has surprised me about Australia, despite the many changes of leadership over the last ten years, no major cuts to defence! Something I envy about them,apart from the weather, the better wages, etc.

Redlands18

When there next gen IPad or 4K TV or Mobile(Cell) Phone or Laptop or there fav Game Playing snack is sitting at the bottom of the South China Sea maybe they might start caring about Defence.
Defence other than the controversial projects like Collins, F-35 etc just doesn't seem to penetrate into the thinking of most ordinary Australians.. Only the controversial projects get any real Media coverage. The big announcements last about 5 mins and then dissapear from Public view.
If we had a Politicion come along that drove a strong anti Defence spending agenda they would definetly get strong support among many in Australia.