Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates

Pusser01

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Just for comparison, Australia bought the Ocean Shield for $130million AUST in 2012 as a completed new build. They then bought Ocean Protector, a 2006 build for NOK300 million, which is roughly $50million AUST in 2015. Cheers

2 Oceans.png

kiwipatriot69

Just for comparison, Australia bought the Ocean Shield for $130million AUST in 2012 as a completed new build. They then bought Ocean Protector, a 2006 build for NOK300 million, which is roughly $50million AUST in 2015. Cheers

View attachment 46133
Which is discounting the exchange rate, our nz dollar is at least ten percent below Australias, and those ships were specifications for civilian use, as yet no details on what military modifications are being done as that of course can add significant costs to give us that figure qouted.

Pusser01

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Which is discounting the exchange rate, our nz dollar is at least ten percent below Australias, and those ships were specifications for civilian use, as yet no details on what military modifications are being done as that of course can add significant costs to give us that figure quoted.
I agree, the 2 Australian vessels did also undergo some conversion eg fitting of RHIB davits, .50 cal mountings, comms gear etc. I don't know what the cost of these mods were or if they were part of the purchase price. Cheers.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
As to the cost of the vessel can't say I'm too impressed. Either that $103m is mostly made up of modifications or they over paid. Australia got the ADV Ocean Protector when it was 8 years old for give or take 50 million and she is a much larger more capable ship and was only 8 years old when we acquired her.
Just remember that NZ and Australia do their procurement sums differently so things don't always add up the same.

Gibbo

Well one thing we (now) know for sure, she can handle rough stuff :

Mind you, being a North Sea operator one would expect so. Looks to me like the gist is most of the mods will be done offshore with final mods locally.

MrConservative

Super Moderator
Staff member
My view is that the current govt is playing politics with that claim, because I am positive that any frigate upgrade shortfall could have been covered in the 2018 budget with a supplementary allocation without any drama. @MrConservative will be able to comment more accurately whether or not this would have been quite feasible.
The Frigate upgrade project did genuinely blowout (which was disappointing as it was a refit to maintain a basic useful frigate for 10-15 years until a replacement) but there is a degree of playing politics because the cost blowouts are just as much at the vendor end and were over and above the 85th percentile funding contingency. However the payment regime can to be adjusted between parties under such circumstances.

As for this new vessel in the end they have got a good package for what it is - a Survey and Dive platform with useful capabilities and should suit regional conditions. At least it was not a smaller cheaper or leased option rumoured to be under consideration earlier in the year. I wonder if they will keep the sunbed and sauna post refit. I hope they do.

KiwiRob

Might not age systems wise but she's spent her working life being pounded in the North Sea.
Well one thing we (now) know for sure, she can handle rough stuff :

Mind you, being a North Sea operator one would expect so. Looks to me like the gist is most of the mods will be done offshore with final mods locally.
Which just goes to show what a hard life she's had.

Gibbo

The Dive, ROV, & Hydrographic modifications will be done by current owners Østensjø Rederi (to RNZN requirements) prior to it heading to NZ where NZ Govt statements have said final mods will be done (expect the latter will be the military specific mods (Comms; HMG etc, etc). I'm actually quite comfortable with this as it means the vessel will be modified for task by those who have owned her & have an intimate knowledge of her which can only be a good thing!

Østensjø Rederi has agreed to sell Edda Fonn - Østensjø

kiwipatriot69

The Dive, ROV, & Hydrographic modifications will be done by current owners Østensjø Rederi (to RNZN requirements) prior to it heading to NZ where NZ Govt statements have said final mods will be done (expect the latter will be the military specific mods (Comms; HMG etc, etc). I'm actually quite comfortable with this as it means the vessel will be modified for task by those who have owned her & have an intimate knowledge of her which can only be a good thing!

I like the idea of our engineers etc getting the work and experience to finish the mods here, where would be the place most suited to the job now?

alexsa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

View attachment 46133
We need to be a bit careful here. The Ocean Protector was leased originally (as new) and had quite a bit of conversion done to add accomodation and boats. This was then removed at end of lease and then ‘some’ of the stuff refitted when it came back (over and above the purchase price). The vessel had been well used by that stage and the offshore market had cooled quite a bit (not to mention that the vessel may have been practucally paid for under the original contract).

The Ocean Shield was a minsterial decision which was well above the project cost and purchased new at the top of the market. It provided a great deal of capability the RAN and then Border Force do not really use. It really was to much for what they wanted for the RAN (a short term HADR vessel .... at which it had limitations due to minuscule cargo capacity) and then for Border Force (Offshore patrol).

The market and circumstances have moved on since these vessels were purchased.

Novascotiaboy

I have had an opportunity to look over the deck layouts as well as Ngatis listing of the LOSC capabilities from 2016 and if done correctly this vessel could cover off a significant portion of the then desired capabilities.

A two bed hospital could be accomplished by eliminating the two offices adjacent to the existing hospital.

Two RPAS hangars could be constructed and positioned on the heli-deck each side out board for Schiebel sized aircraft. The manufacturer claims a total system can be provided with a 20' ISO container half of which is the control room. As such two 8' x 10' hangars should suffice. The office space in the existing superstructure could be used as the control room. The starboard side HIAB would have to be repositioned. If constructed with sufficient strength the top of the hangars could be positions for mini typhoons.

The gunnal along the main deck appears very low, maybe 4 feet based upon views of half height ISO containers. If raised to ten feet this could allow for sea and weather protection of stores and vehicles on deck. A side access door and ramp similar to Canterbury's could be installed to facilitate roro ops.

At the stern the raised gunnals could create the supports needed for a single 25 mm Typhoon on the centerline allowing as wide an arc of fire as possible. At the stern, doors port and starboard could be installed to allow deployment options for a variety of systems .

The spacious and comfortable accomodations could be modified to allow for an increase in bunks for an embarked military force for limited stays. The installation of a brig and dog facilities can definetely be accomodated. The very large below deck cargo hold offeres numerous options to provide a location for an armoury and other LOSC desireables.

Given the huge size of the main moonpool this could be reduced in size to create more useable internal volume for workshops or cargo stowage.

With a little bit of innovative engineering this "interim" platform could serve as proof of concept for the final design. As noted previously this is a big ship with lots of capability.

I look forward to seeing the final outcome next year.

MrConservative

Super Moderator
Staff member
With a little bit of innovative engineering this "interim" platform could serve as proof of concept for the final design. As noted previously this is a big ship with lots of capability.

I don't think this is going to be an interim capability. That was mooted some time back even under the last government as a cheap vessel would be leased to tide us over '3 years for a new build) and again revisited earlier this year to save money.

I believe that this vessel will be refitted to do the survey, salvage and dive job and kept in service for some years. The LWU now say they are platform agnostic so will work from the new Manawanui (mostly) as well as other vessels.

Novascotiaboy

So maybe not interim. Hopefully the plans are in place to create the capabilities that provide a multi purpose platform.

With this vessel now secured hopefully the process is underway for the rpas for this and other RNZN vessels.

kiwipatriot69

I have had an opportunity to look over the deck layouts as well as Ngatis listing of the LOSC capabilities from 2016 and if done correctly this vessel could cover off a significant portion of the then desired capabilities.

A two bed hospital could be accomplished by eliminating the two offices adjacent to the existing hospital.

Two RPAS hangars could be constructed and positioned on the heli-deck each side out board for Schiebel sized aircraft. The manufacturer claims a total system can be provided with a 20' ISO container half of which is the control room. As such two 8' x 10' hangars should suffice. The office space in the existing superstructure could be used as the control room. The starboard side HIAB would have to be repositioned. If constructed with sufficient strength the top of the hangars could be positions for mini typhoons.

The gunnal along the main deck appears very low, maybe 4 feet based upon views of half height ISO containers. If raised to ten feet this could allow for sea and weather protection of stores and vehicles on deck. A side access door and ramp similar to Canterbury's could be installed to facilitate roro ops.

At the stern the raised gunnals could create the supports needed for a single 25 mm Typhoon on the centerline allowing as wide an arc of fire as possible. At the stern, doors port and starboard could be installed to allow deployment options for a variety of systems .

The spacious and comfortable accomodations could be modified to allow for an increase in bunks for an embarked military force for limited stays. The installation of a brig and dog facilities can definetely be accomodated. The very large below deck cargo hold offeres numerous options to provide a location for an armoury and other LOSC desireables.

Given the huge size of the main moonpool this could be reduced in size to create more useable internal volume for workshops or cargo stowage.

I wonder with all that work if done whether or not it could be completed in time for launch, next year? Office space I could suppose could be sacrificed if visting govt representives don't mind bunking with the crew, lol. Helideck may need addressing for landing NH90 before additional hangers for drones? the idea could be considered. Yes I'd be keen to see how much bang for the buck we will be getting once completed.

40 deg south

New Zealand Navy getting Norwegian OSV for dive and hydrographic ops

Naval Today has the 'new' vessel arriving at Devonport in May 2019, and entering service six months later. It seems likely that she will get a new comms suite and possibly sensors, as they aren't mentioned as being modified by the previous owner. Presumably Babcock, as the dock operator, would play a major role in this?

And the million-dollar question - who applies the grey paint?

MrConservative

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some shots of the interior as built of Exda Fonn

Edda Fonn - Maritime Interior Vietnam

Very nice indeed. Not having served myself if this is compatible to Navy accomodations why are you having retention issues .
Yes they are very comfortable accommodations and will be a popular vessel to serve on.

Outgoing CN RADM John Martin has worked hard to stabilise and recover from the retention slump 5 years ago. Hard work but getting there in my view.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Some shots of the interior as built of Exda Fonn

Edda Fonn - Maritime Interior Vietnam

Very nice indeed. Not having served myself if this is compatible to Navy accomodations why are you having retention issues .
Does look nice. Some of the old salts would say "mollycoddling the ODs" because the old salts had hammocks, lockers and meals on a table in the mess deck, where they also slept and lived cheek to jowl. The planned accommodation on the Aotearoa looks absolutely luxurious. When I was in we had bunks and only eight to the mess. Meals were in a separate area next to the galley. Pure luxury it was.

t68

Does look nice. Some of the old salts would say "mollycoddling the ODs" because the old salts had hammocks, lockers and meals on a table in the mess deck, where they also slept and lived cheek to jowl. The planned accommodation on the Aotearoa looks absolutely luxurious. When I was in we had bunks and only eight to the mess. Meals were in a separate area next to the galley. Pure luxury it was.
yes I was surprised on the accommodation side of things when touring on HMAS Vampire, being RACT made my hoochie stretcher and mattress look luxuries too (well except for Pucka in the middle of winter)