Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates

40 deg south

She has just been in Darwin for a couple of weeks R&R, so she's going the wrong way.
Canadian Navy (via Public) / HMCS Vancouver departs on WESTPLOY

That's because in the Southern Hemisphere her compass is upside down!

From the link above:
Vancouver plans to participate in KAKADU 2016, a maritime warfare exercise hosted by the Royal Australian Navy before enjoying a rest and maintenance period halfway through the deployment. Other WESTPLOY visits will include Jakarta, Indonesia; Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam; Brisbane, Australia; and Auckland, New Zealand, before heading home for Esquimalt, B.C., in December 2016.
Well spotted, Nova.

40 deg south

Oops! Should have read beyond the first line of the link, must be an age thing.
I just recollected that an RN icebreaker, HMS Protector, was in NZ several months ago. A quick google search showed she was recently in Chile, and planning another trip south to the ice. If the RN are coming to the party next month, that would probably be the vessel to watch, although there is no mention of a planned NZ visit.

HMS Protector’s crew mark centenary of rescue of explorers | Royal Navy

In the coming months the ship will sail to some of the most remote and inhospitable regions of the planet to provide support to the FCO, conduct hydrographic survey work as well as delivering vital supplies to the British Antarctic Survey bases on the ice.
Sounds like Invercargill is due for a visit too!

Separately, I understand several of our Pacific Island neighbours have been invited to send their Pacific patrol Boats down. I'd say Tonga and Samoa are certainties, with Fiji a maybe. Whether their respective governments will be willing to let them spend time away from home in the cyclone season will determine whether they turn up.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I just recollected that an RN icebreaker, HMS Protector, was in NZ several months ago.
Sounds like Invercargill is due for a visit too!
Be somewhat difficult for it to visit Invercargill unless it has wheels :rotfl Bluff yes. Sorry couldn't resist having been bought up in Southland.

40 deg south

Be somewhat difficult for it to visit Invercargill unless it has wheels :rotfl Bluff yes. Sorry couldn't resist having been bought up in Southland.
How does the old saying go - Post in haste, repent at leisure. Yes, I was certainly meaning to say Bluff, but obviously am suffering from premature senile dementia.

For those interested in matters naval, the Euronaval 2016 Trade Show is kicking off in Paris this week. The following links should provide reasonable coverage.

https://www.shephardmedia.com/show-news/euronaval-2016-show-news/

Euronaval 2016 Show Daily News Report Coverage Paris Le Bourget France 25th Naval Defence & Maritime Exhibition & Conference Pictures Images Video Photos Salon Navy Web TV

http://www.euronaval.fr/9-visitors

40 deg south

Sources: Chilean purchase of Raytheon ESSM in doubt | IHS Jane's 360

After getting FMS approval from the US to purchase ESSM, Chile now appears to be having second thoughts. From NZ's point of view, the more CAMM users the better, as future upgrade costs can be spread over a wider base.

Chile's plans to acquire Raytheon's Evolved Sea Sparrow Missile (ESSM) air defence system for its ex-UK Royal Navy (RN) Type 23 multipurpose frigates has fallen into doubt owing to higher-than-expected integration costs, local sources told IHS Jane's .

A source said the service has come under pressure from elsewhere in the government, which wants to keep the programme within projected costs, to instead buy MBDA's Sea Ceptor shipborne local anti-air missile system, based on the company's Common Anti-Air Modular Missile (CAMM).

Chile's interest in ESSM was disclosed in July, when the US Department of State informed the US Congress of its intention to fulfil a request for 33 ESSM missiles and associated systems and support for USD140 million.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Ships & Aircraft attending RNZN 75th Fleet Review & Preceding Exercise

The RNZN have just released the list of attendees or the RNZN 75th Fleet Review & Preceding Exercise. Of interest is that the Japanese are bringing out a P1 MPA as well as the lead ship from the Takanami class of destroyers. The Indonesians are bringing their LPD KRI Bandar Aceh which is a Makassar class LPD. The South Koreans are bring a new FFG, the Chungbuk which is an Incheon class frigate and was launched in 2014, as well as a P3C. The Singaporeans are bringing the LPD RSS Resolution an Endurance class LPD. Chile is bringing the tall ship Bach Esmeralda which will be great to see. The RN isn't sending a ship, instead sending a RM band and a senior officer.

The full list is here: Ships Attending.

MrConservative

Super Moderator
Staff member
The RN isn't sending a ship, instead sending a RM band and a senior officer.
So not even the Admiral of the Fleet in the Royal New Zealand Navy is coming. :confused:

And to think they want to be all palsy-walsy with the Colonialists after Brexit. Oh dear how sad never mind.

chis73

The RNZN have just released the list of attendees or the RNZN 75th Fleet Review & Preceding Exercise. Of interest is that the Japanese are bringing out a P1 MPA as well as the lead ship from the Takanami class of destroyers. The Indonesians are bringing their LPD KRI Bandar Aceh which is a Makassar class LPD. The South Koreans are bring a new FFG, the Chungbuk which is an Incheon class frigate and was launched in 2014, as well as a P3C. The Singaporeans are bringing the LPD RSS Resolution an Endurance class LPD. Chile is bringing the tall ship Bach Esmeralda which will be great to see. The RN isn't sending a ship, instead sending a RM band and a senior officer.

The full list is here: Ships Attending.
They've done well. Some nice (and pretty new) ships there. Even a Collins class sub (fairly rare visitors to Auckland - well, that we know of).

I was wondering if we might see a few tall ships (if any, I figured the Chileans or perhaps the Peruvians might send theirs. The Indonesians still have a sail training ship I think, but not in great enough condition to get to NZ).

Glad to see some Pacific patrol boats are coming too. Pity Fiji isn't sending one.

Cool news that a P-1 is on the way! I wonder if the US P-3 might get upgraded to a P-8 now?

I guess I thought France would have been sending a ship, perhaps even the new B2M-class OPV, D'Entrecasteaux, based now in Noumea. The parade definitely won't be as much fun without their little red pom-poms. A Dassault Guardian (Falcon) will do though (hmmm...pretty).

Disappointing about the RN. Especially when the UK's new shipbuilding strategy emphasizes export potential (see the RN thread today) so much. Have they just earned themselves a black mark? Type 26 (and Type 31) seems as far away as ever. We'll just have to make that RM band play Thunderbirds over & over & over again. That'll teach 'em! "Culture" ... isn't that something to do with yoghurt?

Last edited:

Rob c

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
So not even the Admiral of the Fleet in the Royal New Zealand Navy is coming. :confused:

And to think they want to be all palsy-walsy with the Colonialists after Brexit. Oh dear how sad never mind.
They may be worried that the admiral of the fleet RNZN may trip over his walking stick, or at least need one, a bad no show , dear me what has the home country come to. might have to cry in my beer. Na can't spoil a good beer.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
They've done well. Some nice (and pretty new) ships there. Even a Collins class sub (fairly rare visitors to Auckland - well, that we know of).

I was wondering if we might see a few tall ships (if any, I figured the Chileans or perhaps the Peruvians might send theirs. The Indonesians still have a sail training ship I think, but not in great enough condition to get to NZ).

Glad to see some Pacific patrol boats are coming too. Pity Fiji isn't sending one.

Cool news that a P-1 is on the way! I wonder if the US P-3 might get upgraded to a P-8 now?

I guess I thought France would have been sending a ship, perhaps even the new B2M-class OPV, D'Entrecasteaux, based now in Noumea. The parade definitely won't be as much fun without their little red pom-poms. A Dassault Guardian (Falcon) will do though (hmmm...pretty).
When I was in uniform, we tried to, ahem, souvenir some of those tiddly French Navy caps with ze rouge pom pom on ze top. Unfortunately the sailors weren't going to let go of their caps without a fight and they would be severely punished if they returned aboard without their caps. So whilst we really coveted the caps, it was decided that they weren't worth the grief to acquire.
Disappointing about the RN. Especially when the UK's new shipbuilding strategy emphasizes export potential (see the RN thread today) so much. Have they just earned themselves a black mark? Type 26 (and Type 31) seems as far away as ever. We'll just have to make that RM band play Thunderbirds over & over & over again. That'll teach 'em!
I don't know about earning a black mark but it is highly disappointing especially as the RN is / was the mother service to the RNZN. The RM bandsmen are a bunch of characters and I have had the honour and privilege of marching on parade with them on a street parade 25 years ago here in Christchurch and one in Timaru. Two of the very few times that I actually enjoyed a parade. Also had a couple of runs ashore with them in Timaru and that was great fun, although the health wasn't the best in the mornings for some strange reason. When they are in full uniform and have their drums ready to go there is a lot of history. IIRC they have their battle honours inscribed on their base drums and of course they wear the leopard skins with the white pith style helmets. They march at a different pace to the NZDF; 116 paces per minute compared to 120ppm for NZDF. Whilst it doesn't sound much different, it did take a bit of adjusting too.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
They may be worried that the admiral of the fleet RNZN may trip over his walking stick, or at least need one, a bad no show , dear me what has the home country come to. might have to cry in my beer. Na can't spoil a good beer.
He & his her indoors would be entitled to Winnies gold card as well so maybe they thought they might get lost taking their free trips on the Waiheke ferry.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

Have two tots or two drams. That should help mitigate the disappointment.

kiwipatriot69

RN frigates might prove too expensive for us. Anyway, we have some nice new South Korean frigates to look at, seeing were already locked into our Navy tanker build with Hyundai,and with thier reputation, thats where i think we should go next.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
RN frigates might prove too expensive for us. Anyway, we have some nice new South Korean frigates to look at, seeing were already locked into our Navy tanker build with Hyundai,and with thier reputation, thats where i think we should go next.
The South Koreans nomenclature / classification of their warships is different to how we would classify our warships. Their frigate displacement relative to European frigates or even the ANZAC class is somewhat smaller at around 3,250 tonnes full load (2,300 tonnes empty displacement) for Batch I and around 3,550 tonnes full load displacement (2,800 tonnes empty displacement) for the Batch II ships. Having said that they are heavily armed with a 5" gun, 16 K-VLS, 8 SSM, 2 x triple ASW torpedo launchers etc. The Republic of Korean Navy (ROKN) use them for coastal defence. Their current destroyers have a fully loaded displacement of 5,500 tonnes (4,200 tonnes standard displacement) with a 5" gun, 64 VLS (32 Mk 41 + 32 K-VLS), 8 SSM, 2 x triple ASW torpedo launchers etc. This would be the load out of a new European frigate such as the German F125 for example. The ROKN have another destroyer class, the Sejong the Great-class destroyers that are 11,000 tonne full load displacement (8,500 tonnes standard displacement) with 80 Mk41 VLS and 48 K-VLS cells That is a true destroyer in anyone's language. Yes I know I've used wiki, but this is for illustrative purposes only.

I agree with you that we should look to Korea for our next lot of combat vessels. 3 frigates based on the KDXIIA with the only changes being hotel with ships being fitted out for Kiwis, replace the K-VLS with Mk41 VLS, use the Sea Ceptors with LRASM for the SSM and increase the range to around 6 - 7,000nm. Keep the rest including AEGIS and the SPY-1D. 4 - 6 Offshore Patrol Corvettes based on the Daegu class FXII which is an upgraded Incheon class. Again the only changes being hotel with ships being fitted out for Kiwis, replace the 127mm gun with a 76mm gun, replace the K-VLS with Mk41 VLS, use the Sea Ceptors and LRASM for the SSM and increase the range to around 6 - 7,000nm.

tongan_yam

DefenseWebTV has a short YouTube featuring Hyundai at Euronaval 2016. 5:20 in features the RNZN model of our Polar Tanker. Also featured is the HDF 3500 multipurpose frigate which is the Batch III FFX Incheon Class.

https://youtu.be/phUN1aohVXs

Looking forward to seeing the USS Sampson and the Korean FFG Chungbuk in port during the 75th. I also echo the disappointment around the lack of honour that the RN have served us.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
DefenseWebTV has a short YouTube featuring Hyundai at Euronaval 2016. 5:20 in features the RNZN model of our Polar Tanker. Also featured is the HDF 3500 multipurpose frigate which is the Batch III FFX Incheon Class.

https://youtu.be/phUN1aohVXs

Looking forward to seeing the USS Sampson and the Korean FFG Chungbuk in port during the 75th. I also echo the disappointment around the lack of honour that the RN have served us.
Thanks for sharing that. There was some quite interesting stuff in it.

swerve

Super Moderator
The South Koreans nomenclature / classification of their warships is different to how we would classify our warships. Their frigate displacement relative to European frigates or even the ANZAC class is somewhat smaller at around 3,250 tonnes full load (2,300 tonnes empty displacement) for Batch I and around 3,550 tonnes full load displacement (2,800 tonnes empty displacement) for the Batch II ships.
It's different because they've not changed, while we have,

kiwipatriot69

The next question i suppose would be, with a third frigate, and say six total OPV, would mean hundreds of more crew to recruit, obviously. Could we accomplish this within the budget?