Welcome to DefenceTalk.com Forum!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Royal New Zealand Air Force

Discussion in 'Air Force & Aviation' started by Lucasnz, Jul 17, 2006.

Share This Page

1. RegR

RegR Active Member

Bitter sweet but now we finally have a path and should be rather straight forward from here once we get the ball in motion so at least timelines should be quicker from now on.

Definately proven, improvement debatable but hercs do look good in air force grey already so good times ahead. Hopefully we get at least another 1 ideally 3 on current but a goals a goal, all down to final negotiations now although I feel we may have lost any edge as Lockheed has it in the bag, anyone else would have to do something pretty spectacular to bump them now.

2. RegR

RegR Active Member

Hopefully from NH stables, as this would be how I see us gaining those extra 90 frames with a split NFH/TTH buy. Simplified, qualified and known with say 5-6 NFHs to cover the combatants and 3-4 marinised TTH for the supporties and to directly support JATF ops but all somewhat interchangeable mission dependant ie sub hunting/island resupply/HADR. Optioned and specific for maritime ops (auto blades, deck harpoon etc) from the outset and all replacement ships (ANZACS/OPVs) considered for the helos rather than helos for the ships accordingly.

Obviously there would need to be some massaged timings requiring either longer running of sprites, earlier replacement of ships or acquiring the marinised TTHs sooner as lead ins and use off End and CY now.

MH60 still a valid option although still another type with all that entails and yes near end of its cycle whereas NFH should surely be squared and in its prime by then (should..).

3. milliGal

milliGal New Member

The French brought forward their H160M program by a few years recently, and it is now scheduled to come into service around 2026 IIRC. They have an airforce, navy and army version planned, and the timeline fits quite well with the Seasprites end of service date. NZ likes to go for the proven platforms though so it may be too immature to be considered.

4. Redlands18

Redlands18 Active Member

The NH-90 was the final loser to the MRH-60 in the RAN Air 9000 phase 8, I doubt it would have even been considered if it didn’t fit into a Anzac Hangar. If I remember correctly the comments where it will fit but it is tight.

PeterM and ngatimozart like this.
  5. Calculus

Calculus Active Member

6. MrConservative

MrConservative Super Moderator Staff Member

I hope the left hand knows what the right hand is doing when the time comes to nail this all down because selecting a helicopter on the basis that it is the only one to fit into the hangar of a vessel that will likely be still in service for a brief period is probably not a good idea.

There is another DWP in 2022. Hopefully that can muster up the urgency of bring these two projects into greater focus including the Anzac replacement bought in closer to the Seasprite replacement timeline.

7. milliGal

milliGal New Member

Came across this nice infographic on the C130J-30 vs the C130H in the NZ context.

While not a significant game changer, it still offers a decent boost in capabilities over the legacy model and should serve NZ well.

8. Todjaeger

Todjaeger Potstirrer

Part of the issue with the NFH-90, and why it did not win the RAN order, was that while it could (more or less) fit into the FFH hangar, the phrase I recall being used to describe the conditions was, "not enough space left to swing a bee's d*ck..." which to me means that it cannot really fit into the frigate hangar. Something to consider since it now seems likely that the FFH's will be kept in service until the mid-2030's.

9. John Fedup

John Fedup Well-Known Member

@Todjaeger ...bee's d*ck, that's right up there with the CH unit of measurement.:D

10. swerve

swerve Super Moderator

That's interesting.Can you be more specific?

11. ngatimozart

ngatimozart Super Moderator Staff Member Verified Defense Pro

The main gist being that it was a load of crap and not as good as the Lnyx to operate or maintain. Of course sailors love to whinge, drip and moan, especially pommy sailors, but this appeared to be a bit more than normal. Yes I know that it is a Lynx derivative.

12. Rob c

Rob c Active Member

Time and a bit of maturity may solve any problems.

ngatimozart likes this.
  13. Kiwigov

Kiwigov Member

Apparently a Blackhawk has arrived in NZ https://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/113441250/first-ever-black-hawk-united-states-military-helicopter-arrives-in-new-Zealand, including for logging purposes. I presume taking over the job which John Funnel's fleet of Mi-8s used to handle in the central North Island (I got to skydive out of one when he consented to it's one-off use as a jumpship at Taupo DZ in the late 1990s).
    Be interesting if the RNZAF check out its load capacities, though obviously planned Budget limits mean it is highly unlikely any would be purchased

14. ngatimozart

The UH-60 Blackhawk was considered during the project assessment that the NH-90 won. It did not fully meet the the customer (NZ Army) requirements so that was the reason that it was not selected and the NH-90 was. Apparently the Blackhawk is real let down after the Iroquois and that comes from an ex UH-1H pilot who's flown the UH-60.

15. Xthenaki

Xthenaki Member

LATEST - ENTIRE AIR FORCE FLEET OF C130 HERCULES GROUNDED AFTER BREAKDOWN - STUFF NEWS

@Xthenaki A link and some commentary would be appreciated. HT provided the link in his post below. You be in the naughty corner, so no pudding for you tonight.

NG.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2019
  16. htbrst

htbrst Active Member

Here is the link: Entire air force fleet of C-130 Hercules grounded after break-down

Quite a bit of detail from the Foreign Affairs and Defence Committee discussing the C-130 replacement including they will be purchased via FMS and the KC-390 was too immature.

So the breakdowns almost directly caused a Trans-Tasman incident :D

ngatimozart, recce.k1 and OPSSG like this.
  17. Milne Bay

Milne Bay Active Member

So five new C-130J-30 Hercules via FMS sees to be the preferred option.
    Quite a sensible choice for NZ in my view - commonality with the RAAF being a not insignificant factor.
    MB

ngatimozart likes this.
  18. Xthenaki

Xthenaki Member

Sorry for that.. Its back the computer and source the right way to download from outside media and post here. Will sort it out.

19. Xthenaki

Xthenaki Member

Thank you for finishing off the posting that I failed to complete. Will sort out my problem.

20. ngatimozart

Don't worry about it.