Royal New Zealand Air Force

Rob c

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Given a fair slice of the NZ population is opposed to military spending of any kind, Labour would be concerned about bleeding support to the Greens, who can be guaranteed to oppose the purchase. Not a huge factor, but one the government strategists will definitely consider.
A recent poll on NZ military spending (sorry I lost the link ) showed that 39% wanted an increase 30 % felt it was ok and should stay the same and 29% wanted a reduction.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Almost certain our numbers would be worse as Canada has a significant population percentage that would say, defence, WTF is that?

StevoJH

The Bunker Group
Defence Force Basic Flying Training has been done out of Tamworth by BAE for some years - moves to Victoria next year if my memory is correct. Probably not as yokelish place as you seem to imagine

oldsig
I’d hope not, I live there.

CAE are replacing BAe at Tamworth Airport with facilities for around 230 students.

It’s also on the shortlist for the Qantas academy, with with a Rescue Helicopter base and now Careflight also now at the airport.

Oh, and the investment in sporting facilities for a town of this size is pretty crazy.

But anyway, back to your regularly scheduled RNZAF discussion.

What about C27J’s as a tactical transport? Could plug into the RAAF logistics and would be much more efficient at transporting smaller loads then a C130J. How often do the C130’s actually fly fully loaded?

Womble 47

Like other people I would like to see more P 8's purchased .As a discussion issue I suggest the NZ government purchase two more airframes with full wiring prior to the end of the production run .However not fitted out with electronics .They can replace the 757 currently in use .My reasoning is they will be common with the P 8 and can be cannibalized if necessary to keep the P 8 flying also the sensors can possibly be transferred across to another airframe .Fitting them out for transport is hopefully not a big issue as interiors can be designed reasonably easy. I have no axe to grind and this is probably my only post.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Like other people I would like to see more P 8's purchased .As a discussion issue I suggest the NZ government purchase two more airframes with full wiring prior to the end of the production run .However not fitted out with electronics .They can replace the 757 currently in use .My reasoning is they will be common with the P 8 and can be cannibalized if necessary to keep the P 8 flying also the sensors can possibly be transferred across to another airframe .Fitting them out for transport is hopefully not a big issue as interiors can be designed reasonably easy. I have no axe to grind and this is probably my only post.
G'day Womble and welcome. Your idea is not a silly idea at all and has some merit to it. It would work even better if three C-2 were acquired to go with say 6 KC-130Js. That way the two extra P-8 airframes can be used for VIP, medevac and pax work. The C-2 would undertake the strategic airlift and the C-130s tactical airlift.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
A couple of articles in the winter issue of Line of Defence about the P-8A acquisition. Note that in the Ron Mark article he is now satisfied with the robustness and state of the defence procurement system. he says:

"They have overhauled their practices and now have a well-resourced team who can be considered an exemplar for the public sector. What this means for me is that when I take a proposal to Cabinet, which recommends the purchase of a major capability, I can assure them we have a robust plan to deliver the project, on time, to specifications, within budget and that the equipment we have purchased will be right for the job."

He also said that the P-8A acquisition decision will be made soon and that the new DCP is due to be completed by the end of this year.We know that he took the P-8A paper to Cabinet last week and IIRC Cabinet meets today. I don't think that we'll get a decision today but maybe next week at the earliest.

The second article is by Mark Mitchell who was the preceding MinDef and now National Party (the main Parliamentary opposition) spokesperson for Defence. In his article he states that he was MinDef he was told by the US that last calls are being made for P-8A orders.

Note that both of these articles have been written by pollies, so there is definitely a political slant to them.

40 deg south

Hercules and Orions need replacing but the Government has a tough choice ahead

More press designed to argue that new aircraft are needed. Possibly the only new bit of information is below:
Defence Minister Ron Mark said a Strategic Defence Policy statement, to be released this week, would lay out the Government's military priorities.

"From there we will reassess the Defence Capability Plan to ensure that what we are looking at buying in the future aligns with the vision of this Government," he said.

t68

Hercules and Orions need replacing but the Government has a tough choice ahead

More press designed to argue that new aircraft are needed. Possibly the only new bit of information is below:
The aged C130 Hercules were likely to remain in service, with the defence minister making a recommendation to Cabinet to replace the air force's P3K Orions as a more immediate priority.
Well you don't need to be Einstein to figure that one out why FASC has priority, price point under FMS deal and last drinks for the P8 line gives that one away. But geez both are immediate priority for replacement its just a few more options for Hercules but time for that is still running out if they want them early 2020's

Rob c

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Well you don't need to be Einstein to figure that one out why FASC has priority, price point under FMS deal and last drinks for the P8 line gives that one away. But geez both are immediate priority for replacement its just a few more options for Hercules but time for that is still running out if they want them early 2020's
A couple of years ago the air force had Lockheed do a fatigue life assessment on the C130's, the results of which I have not heard. As the last 3 rebuilds were very late being finished (2014 T0 2017) and they are meant to have 15 more years of life and if the Lockheed review results are positive, the inservice date for the C 130 replacement could be extended out significantly.

RegR

A couple of years ago the air force had Lockheed do a fatigue life assessment on the C130's, the results of which I have not heard. As the last 3 rebuilds were very late being finished (2014 T0 2017) and they are meant to have 15 more years of life and if the Lockheed review results are positive, the inservice date for the C 130 replacement could be extended out significantly.
You can only flog a dead horse for so long before it falls over, as it is even if we did start making some concrete decisions now history has shown the hercs will still need to soldier on past any factored timeline as inevitably there are always delays in either aqquisition, introduction, transition or operation anyway.

Deffering the delay (yet again) is becoming a project in itself and I'm sure the museum is tired of clearing the space...

Redlands18

Heh, out of interest, what was the wording used that you saw?

(One of us Kiwi's will explain later the significance of what you read once we understand it clearly) ;)
Ok i may have been a touch mistaken it basically said "succesfully completed the NZSAS selection course". i take it there is more to it?
I chased it up due to his cluster of decorations.
Sultan of Oman fairly generous?

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Ok i may have been a touch mistaken it basically said "succesfully completed the NZSAS selection course". i take it there is more to it?
I chased it up due to his cluster of decorations.
Sultan of Oman fairly generous?
The boss of his existing unit in the NZ Army wouldn't let him transfer to the NZSAS. So whilst he passed the selection course he wasn't badged.

htbrst

I don't think we had a firm date on the "strategic defence policy statement" mentioned last week before now - the article notes it should be released Friday (tomorrow NZ time) - with a cabinet decision the following Monday

Cabinet will make its final decision on the purchase of up to four of the planes, estimated to cost up to $2 billion, to replace the ageing P-3 Orions on Monday. The announcement will follow the release of the strategic defence policy statement on Friday.

RegR

Good plug on the news tonight in regards to the ageing Hercules and their age related issues. Good to see even small clips like this being put out there by the likes of RM for the sake of general info if nothing else as let's be honest, joe public either has no idea, no interest or no clue on most things military so every little bit helps.

Helping pave the way for acceptance of the seemingly ridiculous price tag that naysayers will no doubt cry and bleat about with some more exposure like this can only be a good thing. Knowledge is key.

Half Air Force's Hercules aircraft grounded due to repairs

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I must be mental or a sucker for punishment, but I have been following the comments on that story and have noticed that some of the people commenting are calling for fighters to be acquired. I suspect that these supporters and the Uncle Helun (Clark) haters have increased in numbers over the last five years. Whilst the defence haters have been vocal I think that they aren't as vocal as they were five years ago either. This may possibly be a sign of change in NZ public attitudes towards defence.

MrConservative

Super Moderator
Staff member
I must be mental or a sucker for punishment, but I have been following the comments on that story and have noticed that some of the people commenting are calling for fighters to be acquired. I suspect that these supporters and the Uncle Helun (Clark) haters have increased in numbers over the last five years. Whilst the defence haters have been vocal I think that they aren't as vocal as they were five years ago either. This may possibly be a sign of change in NZ public attitudes towards defence.
I noticed an individual called Ngatimozart appear a few times in that newspapers online comments section. Have to say I was tempted as well. I even thought about organising a social media pile on from the DT tribe but this other Ngatimozart was doing well enough singlehandedly. :)

From iirc the upgraded C-130H(NZ) were originally meant to be leaving service in 2017-2018.