Royal New Zealand Air Force

Gibbo

Valid point - However the RNZAF won't be replacing the Hercules until after 2020 correct? By which point it should have been operating with the JSDF for at least a couple of years.

If it works as designed, it has significant capability advantages over the A400 and C-130J, given that the C17 option has virtually sailed - it should at least be looked at.
For a new platform to make the short list it'll have to be in far more use that just a handful of operators that have relatively small operational fleets. It'd also have to be widely in use with operators that we frequently work with & have a proven support / spares network. That's not to say the C2 won't prove itself & be in wide service eventually, but that won't happen within a timeframe that satisfies the NZDF.

t68

G'day NG

You are saying the 1st C130 will bow out in 2018, how reliable is that information?
Are they planning on having the new aircraft in service concurrently with C130 till it reaches FOC?
If not they not leaving themselves much time. Wonder how soon they could get either A400M or C295, C295 being a bit more mature and cheaper could see that and C130 together till some time A400 comes along, but not the other way around.

What capability advantage does it have over the A400M? I don't see any really and in fact I see it the other way around. Maybe looked at yeas but by then it will be far to late because the Air Mobility Study finishes at the end of this year and the first C130 is due to be retired in 2018.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
G'day NG

You are saying the 1st C130 will bow out in 2018, how reliable is that information?
Are they planning on having the new aircraft in service concurrently with C130 till it reaches FOC?
If not they not leaving themselves much time. Wonder how soon they could get either A400M or C295, C295 being a bit more mature and cheaper could see that and C130 together till some time A400 comes along, but not the other way around.
Reasonably reliable in that it has been the plan for the last few years. The first aircraft was the prototype for the LEP and enough was done to keep them flying until about 2018 - 2023 depending upon when the LEP was finished on each individual aircraft. Not everything was upgraded so they are still limited by the the service life constraints on the non upgraded components.

RegR

G'day NG

This is why we should be getting the C295 capability up and running sooner to cover the eventual transition between the big gear and take up the strain (same goes for MPA fleet). Known, proven and with alot of end users means C295 could be functional in a relatively short timeframe somewhat easily and coincide with C130 full replacement making for an easier transition.

As with the hueys, mogs and pretty much every piece of kit NZDF has had we will definately use it past its LOT and then tag a few years onto that and finally retire it to a museum kicking and screaming all the way. As NG said the problem with C2 is time up, A400 it self is still suffering from this to a degree but in comparison is miles ahead in development and proving its systems therefore already ahead in the stakes.

swerve

Super Moderator
Lets not forget there have been a couple of A400 crashes of late....
A couple? 9th May 2015 - when else?

That was the first ever crash. & now that the cause has been found & rectified, you can be sure there won't be any more for the same reason.

Bluey 006

That was the first ever crash. & now that the cause has been found & rectified, you can be sure there won't be any more for the same reason.
I stand corrected, there was an some incidents in 2011 and 2012 on takeoff and landing, but the aircraft was undamaged, and they were not crashes as such.:nutkick

Apologies.

Gibbo

I know they say 3 engines failed, but have they found a cause for that & rectified it already? That's freakishly quick!

Oh yes, I should've checkd first... amazing how quick it was found, guess that's one benefit of software, you normally have an audit trail allowing you to trace such issues.

http://aviationweek.com/defense/inc...tware-caused-a400m-crash-airbus-official-says

Mind you, as a software support person myself, I've always said the the last place you should put software is in an aircraft... must be showing my age! :)

htbrst

I know they say 3 engines failed, but have they found a cause for that & rectified it already? That's freakishly quick!
The have a pretty good idea, firmware unique to each engine being wiped from 3 of the engines during production (when installing the engine control software). This lack of data resulted in the digital engine control not operating on those engines.

To compound the issue, the alerts for this issue did not operate on the ground so the aircraft will only have alerted the pilots when they were at 400 feet off the ground.

From Wikipedia:
The key scenario being examined by investigators is that the torque calibration parameter data was accidentally wiped on three engines as the engine software was being installed at Airbus facilities, which would prevent the FADECs from operating. Under the A400M's design, the first warning pilots would receive of the engine data problem would be when the plane was 120 meters (400 feet) in the air; on the ground, there is no cockpit alert.

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member
The UK has already restarted flight trials on their pair too, I saw an A400M three times (two inbound, one outbound) to Brize Norton yesterday, twice the day before that too, they're certainly up in the air a lot.

Besides which there's 7 on the Tarmac in Spain waiting to be handed over.

France continued operating their fleet of 6 throughout, while I accept operational requirements heavily dictated this being a necessity, if they weren't confident they wouldn't have done it.

RegR

The UK has already restarted flight trials on their pair too, I saw an A400M three times (two inbound, one outbound) to Brize Norton yesterday, twice the day before that too, they're certainly up in the air a lot.

Besides which there's 7 on the Tarmac in Spain waiting to be handed over.

France continued operating their fleet of 6 throughout, while I accept operational requirements heavily dictated this being a necessity, if they weren't confident they wouldn't have done it.
Yes too important a capability to sit idle at every setback and I'm sure Airbus would inform nations if it could be an ongoing problem or had a precedence, their already tarnished reputation relies on it as every setback, incident and piece of bad press costs, figuratively and literally.

I actually like the French, they seem to get on and get it done where others tip toe into the water. NH90, tiger and A400, all relatively new platforms already sharpening their teeth on ops. Understandable we as a small DF cannot nesscessarily take the same leaps but good to see nonetheless, this is how SMEs are made.

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes too important a capability to sit idle at every setback and I'm sure Airbus would inform nations if it could be an ongoing problem or had a precedence, their already tarnished reputation relies on it as every setback, incident and piece of bad press costs, figuratively and literally.
Agreed, my understanding of the issue is that it was incorrectly installed software with is a simple fix.

I actually like the French, they seem to get on and get it done where others tip toe into the water. NH90, tiger and A400, all relatively new platforms already sharpening their teeth on ops. Understandable we as a small DF cannot nesscessarily take the same leaps but good to see nonetheless, this is how SMEs are made.
Again, agreed. They generally seem to produce good kit (but thats easy for me to say when I don't actually have to use it) but it's just the issue of getting it to work with US kit.

t68

Just following up on the article I linked a few days ago....Airbus has now signed a conditional agreement to purchase Safe Air from Air New Zealand.

Air New Zealand sells Blenheim's Safe Air to Airbus | Stuff.co.nz
Wonder if that means a move to Brisbane if it goes ahead, might be a smart move in the long run if RNZAF goes A400M most likely RAAF replacement would be A400M and they could show AusGov they have the expertise here in Australia set up already

kiwi in exile

Speaking of the French...
Paris Air Show 2015: French special forces look to modify NH90 - IHS Jane's 360

Their NH90s have been deployed in Mali. I know we are probably a while away from adding SF upgrades to our small fleet. Would be interesting to see pics/vids from the recent RNZAF night flying operations.

RegR

Speaking of the French...
Paris Air Show 2015: French special forces look to modify NH90 - IHS Jane's 360

Their NH90s have been deployed in Mali. I know we are probably a while away from adding SF upgrades to our small fleet. Would be interesting to see pics/vids from the recent RNZAF night flying operations.
And there the frenchies go, forging ahead again, no point delaying the inevitable. They are lucky in that France will have enough frames to allocate their SF their own 90s to modify as they see fit, our guys have to pool these particulat resources with the rest of NZDF so obviously not as easy.

The data linked optics would be useful on other tasks so could therefore be justified if the funds were there and all parties willing, I guess the sprites may have a version on their piracy mission? The roping system is easy mod to fit/remove ie non-structural and no doubt the 90 version would have got a workout with our SF on the latest ex.

kiwi in exile

And there the frenchies go, forging ahead again, no point delaying the inevitable. They are lucky in that France will have enough frames to allocate their SF their own 90s to modify as they see fit, our guys have to pool these particulat resources with the rest of NZDF so obviously not as easy.

The data linked optics would be useful on other tasks so could therefore be justified if the funds were there and all parties willing, I guess the sprites may have a version on their piracy mission? The roping system is easy mod to fit/remove ie non-structural and no doubt the 90 version would have got a workout with our SF on the latest ex.
Fast roping seems to be a pretty common occurence, at least according to NZDF facebook etc. There is a fast rope training tower scaled to match the dimensions of the NH90 at one of the bases.

2 NH90s are currently in Queensland for exercise Talisman Sabre. Will be interesting to see how they handle the warm weather.
Central Queensland Plane Spotting: Great Photos as a Pair of Royal New Zealand Air Force (RNZAF) NH90 Helicopters Land at Rockhampton Airport
How long ago was it that we were unable to deploy them to Vanuatu on the Canterbury...
Maybe Brownlee and Ron Mark should go over and raise their concerns about the NH90 with the aussies.

40 deg south

Fast roping seems to be a pretty common occurence, at least according to NZDF facebook etc. There is a fast rope training tower scaled to match the dimensions of the NH90 at one of the bases.

2 NH90s are currently in Queensland for exercise Talisman Sabre. Will be interesting to see how they handle the warm weather.
Central Queensland Plane Spotting: Great Photos as a Pair of Royal New Zealand Air Force (RNZAF) NH90 Helicopters Land at Rockhampton Airport
How long ago was it that we were unable to deploy them to Vanuatu on the Canterbury...
Maybe Brownlee and Ron Mark should go over and raise their concerns about the NH90 with the aussies.
As I understand it, NZDF was unwilling to deply the NH90s into a disaster area until the capability for ship-board stowage and unpacking had been achieved on an exercise. A cautious approach, but probably sensible. If the cyclone has struck a couple of months later, the NH90s would have been free to deploy.

Gracie1234

The lastest video from NZDF states 15mins each to disembark a NH90. That is a lot less than the 2 hours stated before. How does that relate to a Seasprite?

RegR

The lastest video from NZDF states 15mins each to disembark a NH90. That is a lot less than the 2 hours stated before. How does that relate to a Seasprite?
Yes saw that, either someones exagerating or someones mis-informed. Possibly from wo to go ie landing, shutdown, folding, stowage and securing all up may take 1 hour 15 as it looks like a tight fit reversing back down into the hanger (there's actually a hanger behind the hanger) therefore a slower process vs taking out forwards and setting up.

I too would be interested to see a comparison with naval sprite set up vs RNZAF NH90 set up. I would assume the sprite would be quicker due to type, size, currency etc but unsure?